Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike is best for a learner?

Options
  • 28-05-2018 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Check the exhaust as they are prone to rotting otherwise a decent bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Bit steep on the price but a great bike in general.

I had a 600 and 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sounds expensive, they seem to be quite good but similar Honda would be better and I would think you would be paying similar for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

As per others, that's about 1k more than you should be paying for an 03 privately. You could get a new look 06 for that money. I'd look elsewhere.

Good bike though and well reviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks for the posts guys.
    What should I expect to pay for a bike of that year? The seller has the price set in stone. They only purchased the bike 1 month ago and are selling it on, finances being the reason. It is indeed a private sale. As for the exhaust, I take it if it’s rotten run? What mileage should I expect on s bike of that year? I have a €2k budget for a bike that is upward of 600 to do the A test on.

If your spending that I would advise getting it expertly checked over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the posts guys.
    What should I expect to pay for a bike of that year? The seller has the price set in stone. They only purchased the bike 1 month ago and are selling it on, finances being the reason. It is indeed a private sale. As for the exhaust, I take it if it’s rotten run? What mileage should I expect on s bike of that year? I have a €2k budget for a bike that is upward of 600 to do the A test on.

Yes if the exhaust is rotten run, it's a common problem so genuine exhausts are nearly impossible to find and stainless steel ones are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I know where there is a 00 diversion for sale that's in lovely condition.
    I was riding it Saturday and almost bought it just to commute daily a 10 mile round trip.
    It was a bit too good condition to use as a hack though so I didn't bother with it.
    Basic looks and basic everything else but it was a lovely little bike to ride.
    Like the Fazer they would be prone to rusting at the exhaust but this was in perfect nick.
    Bullet proof too.
    I'm still a bit tempted by it.
    You'd have change for your gear as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Done, twice, forgot phone no. first time.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Tbh for peace of mind I would spend a bit more and buy the bike in a shop. Bought my first bike in Scotts bikes in Harolds Cross and can't recommend them enough. Absolute sound lads. They have a few bikes for sale atm. One of them is cbr600f in good nick for €2300: https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cbr-600/18881669

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

I have 04 Fazer with the dialed down r6 engine in it, I think 2004 was the first year they started using it.
    I love the Fazer it’s really gentle in low rpm which I found great starting out and once you hit 7000rpm she wakes up a nice bit. I think it handles great and caused me no bother so far. It’s a bit of a lump on hill starts I think due to lack of torque low down but at 92ish hp I’m far from board with it.
    Don’t think I’ll part with it anytime some, I paid 3000 from a shop last year with warranty for 6 months. Shop around and ring shops occasionally to see what they have or are getting.

giphy.gif

Very different bikes, the R6 is not novice friendly, or as novice friendly as the fazer. You're on the right track with the FZ, just don't buy the first thing you see, be patient and the right bike will be on donedeal soon.

My preference of the 3 would be the hornet but you'll lose the screen of the fazer if you go for the other 2, assuming they are naked which most are.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fazer 600 is a great bike. (Had one as an upgrade to a YBR125) - It was restricted at the time but was ideal for me. Plenty of poke for me and easy on juice.

I’ve not committed to anything as yet but the Fazer did catch my eye, the R6 is pretty much the same isn’t it? You got a good warranty for the year of it. I’m trawling through donedeal like crazy

As mentioned the r6 is a completely different animal to the Fazer. I actually was considering the same bikes as you before the Fazer and went to look at a hornet but he had a Fazer I drove and liked. By no means love at first sight but I’ve come along way on it and it’s been bullet proof every step.

It’s coming down to 4 bikes

Fazer
    Bandit
    Hornet
    Diversion.

As for the R6, I subsequently learned those bikes from 2003 onwards are not permitted for test purposes.

I would need something that would be suitable for it. Do you still have the Fazer?

I do Still have it and will keep it for a while yet, I’m going to do my test on it but you can rent a bike from your instructor for the test if something comes along that doesn’t meet the requirements. I noticed that DoneDeal is full of bikes that are practically dissolving with rust and needing allot of work, a set of tires, chain/sprockets, pads/disks and new cables will soon turn a cheap bike into a right whore quickly.
    Take your time build up your cash and buy something you want. Have you done IBT and do you no what riding position you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭dbas

IBT isn’t done yet. I have ridden big bikes before IBT came in. I’ve only recently moved to Cork for work purposes so will either go home to do it (Dublin) when I get a few days off work or else do it here somewhere. I’d love an R6 or R1 if I’m totally straight up. I’m a single man so I want to live the dream.

As for donedeal you are on the money, some almighty junk on it. I’ll purchase through a dealer for peace of mind. I was in Lee Honda Centre just today and spotted a Deauville but it might be too big for me. I have a few bob for a bike but i want something that is reliable, and won’t rust to death.

How long does the IBT take and is it difficult?

I did my IBT in a weekend with Mick Finlay in monasterevin. Reasonable cost and straight forward advice. I bought the attached fazer foxeye 2002 in UK and had it shipped to me by Teds trucking from Wexford. UK bikes are MOT'd every year so there is a semblance of peace of mind. Have my test next month. Hope I get it first time

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭dbas

As in, they don't want to have to part with the money to fix it

• Advertisement

dbas wrote: »
    As in, they don't want to have to part with the money to fix it

And added a grand on top for their troubles.

Advertisement