Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike is best for a learner?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

This post has been deleted.

Links?

No point in buying a bike for your test that you can't use, also, that's seriously naf (not sure if thats the lingo anymore but seems apt.)

You won't be able to ride it until you've done your IBT would you not wait and try out the school bikes and get some guidance from your instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Absolute best advice I can think of, as someone who rode for a few years and then had to re-do the process last year.

1/ Do your IBT first, get a taste for the bikes they offer. Typically they'll be quite light.

2/ I enjoy my Deauville, but it's not suitable for the test, so I'll have to loan another bike for the actual test. If possible, get a bike you can do the test on and save yourself €200 or so.

3/ Ride everything once you've done your IBT. The list you have above is a good list of starter bikes.

4/ After a year or so, you -will- want to replace the bike for something else, so don't overspend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭ratracer

Spoke with Declan in Cork. He said all of the above bikes are not suitable for my weight and height. I’m booked in for IBT in July.

He recommended a V-Storm or Varadero 1000cc

I’ve seen all shapes and sizes on all different types of bikes, so I find this a strange enough comment from ( I presume) a dealer?

As has been mentioned though, the only way to know if you are comfortable on a bike is to ride it. Unfortunately in this country taking a bike for a test drive is almost an impossible task!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If you don't mind me asking, how tall/big are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 de_Selby

He's talking sh!te, any of them will be fine for you starting out. And you won't be too big for them.

It sounds like you are overthinking it, I was the same starting out and ended up just getting an 08 bandit 650, my main criteria was getting a bike with ABS and just went for whatever was available that fit the test criteria when I was looking.

I'm 6'1" and ~16st so a bit lighter than you but no 600+ bike is going to struggle with 18st

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Have you checked the Facebook pages? Biker buy and sell Northern Ireland usually has loads on it, you will still get the MOT and can see before you buy, some amount of overpriced ****e on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Have a look at a Suzuki V Strom 650 or a Kawasaki Versys 650. Both are very comfy bikes and a lot more fun than a Deauville.
    The only advantage the Deauville has is the shaft drive which means no chain maintenance is required.

Have you considered a vw golf? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Motorcycle size comparison

I had a DL650 Vstrom and all over the country on it. Its a very comfortable bike, with a superb tank range (most I got was over 400kg).

The Vstrom is one of the bikes I'd return to in a heart beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Would take the dl over the dullville in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even consider the dullville.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a lot to be said for integrated luggage and shaft drive though.
    Deauvilles are a thoroughly practical bike, maybe not to everyones tastes but lots of people have them and like them.

tenor.gif?itemid=3552811

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

giphy.gif

Nor am I, they're a good bike just boring as hell.

Do the ibt and then see what appeals to you and suits you best.

• Advertisement

Advertisement