Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cow Scanning

• 28-05-2018 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good scanner in the North Cork, South Limerick area please. I want to get a few non-cycler's inspected and my usual man is proving a bit unreliable lately.

TIA.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good scanner in the North Cork, South Limerick area please. I want to get a few non-cycler's inspected and my usual man is proving a bit unreliable lately.

TIA.....

Jonathan kneally, Google him he works in moorepark. He is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

I'm biased as a vet but would you not have your vet out to scan them? Especially for cows not seen bulling. Maybe your vet is swamped but most of the time you can get a vet alot quicker than a scanner or a hooftrimmer in fairness(Around here anyway). Vet will be better placed to diagnose and treat anoestrus cows at the same time. Where I work at the moment we are cheaper than most scanners but still people are set in their habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I'm biased as a vet but would you not have your vet out to scan them? Especially for cows not seen bulling. Maybe your vet is swamped but most of the time you can get a vet alot quicker than a scanner or a hooftrimmer in fairness(Around here anyway). Vet will be better placed to diagnose and treat anoestrus cows at the same time. Where I work at the moment we are cheaper than most scanners but still people are set in their habits.

A lot of vets dont have scanning equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Really? God I would have thought they are few and far between now! Maybe it depends on the area. Harder to justify the expense in suckler areas but still I have never worked in a practice that didn't have at least one scanner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

I have never seen a vet with a hoofcare crate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Really? God I would have thought they are few and far between now! Maybe it depends on the area. Harder to justify the expense in suckler areas but still I have never worked in a practice that didn't have at least one scanner.
    Found out Local practice here has a scanner, when I enquirer further it’s the box type, & atctwice price of local lad with goggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭valtra2

A lot of vets not able to scan as I found out one year. A good scanning man can tell a lot about cow where as vet usually only do a few so not as experienced.. Just my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

valtra2 wrote: »
    A lot of vets not able to scan as I found out one year. A good scanning man can tell a lot about cow where as vet usually only do a few so not as experienced.. Just my experience

On the other hand, 2 vets in the practise we use do scanning. Both are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Two vets here are very good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Use vets here aswell to scan both very good. they are both doing a lot of scanning work. very good to treat cows on the day. Depends on the vet really, my preference would always be to have a vet to it as I think they have a broader knowledge of my herd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement