Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant/Vegetable identification

Options
  • 28-05-2018 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone recognise this? Had a large part of the garden covered by several mypex weed sheets for months. Somehow this grew under it and when I removed the sheets at the weekend this very green foliage greeted me. I should have taken a pic of it in the ground but dug it up. Some of the roots are still there so will have to dig again.

KknoqvD.jpg?1
    NRt5R2j.jpg
    puGn0x5.jpg
    HPUjgWe.jpg
    3gt0hhJ.jpg
    dj6Mp9S.jpg

The roots were quite soft and broke easily. Initially I thought it smelt like a potato. Also thought it might be ginger but looking online at the leaves of ginger it looks different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Suspecting a Solanum of some kind because of potato smell and leaf shape. But there's a lot to choose from!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could be horseradish, though I am not sure the leaves are quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

looksee wrote: »
    Could be horseradish, though I am not sure the leaves are quite right.

That's what I thought first but the leaves of Horseradish are more like Dock leaves: also the root is quite hard. Maybe growing under the web would leave it softer?

@OP: crush and sniff a bit of the root: Horseradish roots are quite strong and mustard-y, will almost make your eyes water.
    Don't taste unless absolutely sure: some plant roots can be highly poisonous.
    If it is Monkshood, beware! #dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

It's not horseradish. As another poster said, the horseradish leaves are very like doc leaves. So much so, you would easily mistake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Day Lewin wrote: »
    That's what I thought first but the leaves of Horseradish are more like Dock leaves: also the root is quite hard. Maybe growing under the web would leave it softer?

@OP: crush and sniff a bit of the root: Horseradish roots are quite strong and mustard-y, will almost make your eyes water.
    Don't taste unless absolutely sure: some plant roots can be highly poisonous.
    If it is Monkshood, beware! #dangerous

One of the options that came up during googling was Cassava. Apparently the roots contain Cyanide :eek:

Not sure if that grows in Ireland though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wheety wrote: »
    One of the options that came up during googling was Cassava. Apparently the roots contain Cyanide :eek:

Not sure if that grows in Ireland though?

Surprisingly similar, but the leaves look different, in number and also in how they are attached to the stem..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Looks like a peony rose to me.

God love the poor thing it did its best to grow.

Advertisement