Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 5d Mark iv?

• 28-05-2018 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

I've just got some tax back and am looking to squander it! :-)

I have a 50D for nearly 8 years now and was going to upgrade to a 6d Mark ii, but thought why not just go for the 5D iv! I was looking for some advice on whether i'm making the right decision and for a secure website.

I saw a 5D iv at HDEW - https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-body-5161-p.asp

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What's your lens selection like? I presume you don't only has EF-S lenses, as if you do you'll have to upgrade your glass as well as your camera.

Given what you're coming from I think either the 6D or 5D IV would be a huge step up. The lens question is important, as my follow up question is whether it has to be a Canon at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

What's your lens selection like? I presume you don't only has EF-S lenses, as if you do you'll have to upgrade your glass as well as your camera.

Given what you're coming from I think either the 6D or 5D IV would be a huge step up. The lens question is important, as my follow up question is whether it has to be a Canon at all...

I have a few lenses (e.g. 24-70 USM 2.8L, EF 50mm f1.4 USM and a Macro lens) and wanted to avoid having to buy more glass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Go for it. I think I'm going to upgrade to it too from a 6D mk I (Great camera by the way for stills). You could wait it out a bit and see what the canon mirrorless offering will be like. Looks like there will be an announcement on specs this September, but rumours are that it'll be a 5D MkIV but mirrorless.

Sheeps wrote: »
    Go for it. I think I'm going to upgrade to it too from a 6D mk I (Great camera by the way for stills). You could wait it out a bit and see what the canon mirrorless offering will be like. Looks like there will be an announcement on specs this September, but rumours are that it'll be a 5D MkIV but mirrorless.

We'll always be waiting for the next best thing, tech-wise. I wonder what the price will be like? Also, am assuming that existing Canon DSLR prices will drop considerably.

I just hope they ensure compatibility with existing glass for the new Mirrorless cameras.

I'm looking at these 2 sites:

HDEW - https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-body-5161-p.asp
    €2,500 (inc. P&P)

and

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/3071/canon_eos_5d_mark_iv_dslr_camera_(body_only)
    €2,209 (Free shipping)

Both sites seem to have good reviews, but HDEW offer an extra 2 years warranty, so just wondering if it's worth paying the extra €300 for this? Has anyone bought from these sites before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Out of interest, what advantages would having a mirrorless SLR have ?

Would the viewfinder be dumped too ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

chewed wrote: »
    I'm looking at these 2 sites:

HDEW - https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-body-5161-p.asp
    €2,500 (inc. P&P)

and

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/3071/canon_eos_5d_mark_iv_dslr_camera_(body_only)
    €2,209 (Free shipping)

Both sites seem to have good reviews, but HDEW offer an extra 2 years warranty, so just wondering if it's worth paying the extra €300 for this? Has anyone bought from these sites before?

€2.2k seems to good to be true here , i'd be carefull ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I use Canon and have a 5D Mk IV. Great camera.

But, if I was starting again, I would be buying a Sony A7r iii - incredible camera.

Sony are rewriting the rule book. Because of this camera, medium-format is as good as dead, and Canon/Nikon hegemony is seriously challenged.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    I use Canon and have a 5D Mk IV. Great camera.

But, if I was starting again, I would be buying a Sony A7r iii - incredible camera.

Sony are rewriting the rule book. Because of this camera, medium-format is as good as dead, and Canon/Nikon hegemony is seriously challenged.

D.

I've had a couple of people suggest I buy a Sony AR7iii as well! It does look like a superb camera, but maybe I'm just a bit nervous about jumping ship! I'd have to start buying a new set of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheSelf

Had a 6d for 4 years. Jumped ship and bought a fuji xt2 last week. Loving it so far. Mirrorless is the way forward..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

E-Infinity is perfectly safe to buy from in case you have any doubts. I bought a Sony A6500 and 2 lenses from them over the past 6 months. Everything arrived within a week and I've probably saved a total of 800 euro by not buying locally. I imagine the savings on a 5D IV would be even greater but definitely don't be afraid of the site. There's another thread on this forum with people describing experiences and if you look up trust pilot reviews they are nearly all positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

I bought 5D4 and 3 lenses from e-infinity...good service and good price. Regarding the warranty, their own repair center is in "England" although I think that's just another word for shio it to England and then they ship it to HK for a repair. But for that price they are great.

P.s. if you still didnt buy the camera, get 6d2 and buy a lens like a 35mm ii or the new 85/1.4 for the price difference. You'll see better value for money than getting a 5D4 (unless you're pro and can justify the difference)

Advertisement