Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankers Draft €175

Options
  • 28-05-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I’m really confused and would like some help and clarification. I’ve read a few other threads regard BOI and bankers drafts but have had conflicting advice from BOI.

Please can someone confirm what is the process for getting a BOI bankers draft and clarify if I can actually get a draft for €175?

Please see the below conversation with the 365 online service desk and their response.

“Dear BOI,

I recently asked how I can obtain a bankers draft, what I would need to do and if you would be able to provide a draft for €175. You’ve responded advising that you would not be able to do a banker’s draft for less than €500.

However I’ve checked the INIS website and it states “The Statutory Application Fee of €175 in the form of a Banker’s Draft only, made payable to the Secretary General, Department of Justice and Equality. Postal Orders, personal or business cheques are not acceptable”.

So as you can see I’m in a bit of a predicament and would like a draft from yourselves instead of anonther bank. Would you be willing to make an exception for a draft of €175 to the Secretary General? Thanks

Good Morning,
    Thank you for contacting the Online Service Desk.
    We are very sorry about any inconvenience caused but unfortunately the minimum bank draft value is €500. We cannot issue out a bank draft for a lower amount.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else. 

Regards”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi AFOXRUSSELL

Thanks for getting in touch here with us.

We can confirm you can purchase a draft for less than E500 for the one exception you mention when required for the Department of Justice and Equality.

Thanks for bringing the above message to our attention, we will raise this directly with this Dept. to ensure all colleagues are aware if this exception.

If you have any further queries please feel free to get back to us.

Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Melhowes

Hi AFOXRUSSELL

Thanks for getting in touch here with us.

We can confirm you can purchase a draft for less than E500 for the one exception you mention when required for the Department of Justice and Equality.

Thanks for bringing the above message to our attention, we will raise this directly with this Dept. to ensure all colleagues are aware if this exception.

If you have any further queries please feel free to get back to us.

Thanks
    Alison
    I have had exactly the same issue today in the Manorhamilton, Leitrim branch both in person and on the phone to some BoI call centre somewhere. Do I need to move my account to one of the other major banks that DO provide a bankers draft for a piffling €175?

Please provide a definitive answer and tell me that you have made this information available to the Manorhamilton branch.

It seems no-one in BoI is aware that they do provide this service. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Melhowes,

The information Alison gave is correct.
    Provided that it is for the Department of Social Justice and Equality you can purchase a bank draft for less that €500 when you bring photo ID to any Bank of Ireland branch.

Warm regards,

Lorna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 leem8

I had the exact same issue in the Letterkenny branch yesterday. I’m paying the Law Society few times over the next year or two and was questioned why I needed a bank draft and who it was for. Unfortunately us regular customers can only pay institutions on how they tell us (I.E bank draft, postal order or cheque in my case) Walked across the street to Ulster Bank and had a bank draft within minutes and a chequebook ordered (also something BOI told me I couldn’t have)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

leem8 wrote: »
    I had the exact same issue in the Letterkenny branch yesterday. I’m paying the Law Society few times over the next year or two and was questioned why I needed a bank draft and who it was for. Unfortunately us regular customers can only pay institutions on how they tell us (I.E bank draft, postal order or cheque in my case) Walked across the street to Ulster Bank and had a bank draft within minutes and a chequebook ordered (also something BOI told me I couldn’t have)
    Hi there, 

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear about this. Can I ask if you hold an account with Bank of Ireland? 

Thanks again, 
    Darren. 

• Advertisement

Hi there, 

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear about this. Can I ask if you hold an account with Bank of Ireland? 

Thanks again, 
    Darren. 

Hi Darren,

Yes indeed, I hold 3 accounts with BOI and have done since 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

leem8 wrote: »
    Hi there, 

Thanks again, 
    Darren. 

Hi Darren,

Yes indeed, I hold 3 accounts with BOI and have done since 2009.

Thanks so much for the leem8, can I ask you to send us a private message here as we would like to have a further look into this for you.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Thanks so much for the leem8, can I ask you to send us a private message here as we would like to have a further look into this for you.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Thanks Darren, I tried to send a PM but it says you aren’t receiving them. Anyway, I spoke with Kayla in 365 on Friday to log a complaint with the branch. I’m not sure if there is another way to follow up on that but thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi there leem8,

We sent you a PM ourselves.

If you could reply to it when you get a chance we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 1 silvia.am.ted

Hi Lorna,
    I had exactly the same problem in the Finglas branch, in Dublin, they sent me to the post office, I went just to be 100% sure and obviously, they do not issue, bankers draft.
    I rang the Finglas branch, even because a friend of mine confirmed to me that she had one issued from BoI, for the same purpose and amount, and still I was denied the possibility to have a bankers draft for €175, even after I mentioned that it was for the Department of Justice.
    I have been holding a BoI account for the last 18 year and I didn't receive any help.
    Can you please look into it?
    As my application has been further delayed by all of this!

Thanks, Silvia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Silvia, 

Thanks for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. 

It is certainly a facility to purchase a draft for less than €500 when it is required for the Department of Justice and Equality once you hold an active bank account with us. Otherwise the bank draft must be for €500 or above. 

We are very sorry to hear of your recent visit to the branch where the draft was declined. We are raising this immediately with management and staff to ensure no further reoccurrence. We would invite you to call back into the Finglas branch again and they will absolutely assist you with obtaining the required bank draft. 

We're glad that you checked with us here this afternoon.

Thanks again,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thalimay

Hi, how are you? I'm just apply for a bank draft and i'm confused. Must be only 175 euros and is the sole option i have. Is for the [font=Lato, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Secretary General, Department of Justice. [/font]
    [font=Lato, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm applied already. It's possible take that draft for 175 euros?[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

I have attached a link here with more information on bank drafts. You can purchase a bank draft for a minimum amount of €500, unless the payment you are looking to make is to a Governmental Department, such as the Department of Justice.

Thanks, Aisling

Advertisement