Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Pump Garden Pond

Options
  • 28-05-2018 3:54pm

Hi all,

I have had 3 small garden pumps for a small pond.

The last 2,which I had for 3 or 4 years each stopped working.

Both would come on and off intermittently for a few days and then they went off completely. Neither works now.

Is this the usual way with small garden pumps come to the end of their natural usage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Hi all,

I have had 3 small garden pumps for a small pond.

The last 2,which I had for 3 or 4 years each stopped working.

Both would come on and off intermittently for a few days and then they went off completely. Neither works now.

Is this the usual way with small garden pumps come to the end of their natural usage?

Sometimes bits of crud get in the way of the impeller drive mechanism. Worth a check. If everything is clean with no damage to the mechanism, its probably toast. I have had similar pump death.

• Thanks TomOnBoard.

I usually got a bit of a vibration with the pump itself when there was something stuck in the works. But these are dead. They must just burn out after a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

I had a Fishmate pump and the bearings used to wear out after about a year or two. I got an Oase one last year, so hoping for better life.
    Fountains & Decor in Monasterevin have good value and sell online.

• @Blackox. Thanks for recomendations. And indeed the bearings going makes sense. I wasn't familiar with the internal mechanics of a water pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would recommend Oase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Instead of setting up my own thread I'll bump this informative thread. I, too, am not sure what's the most reliable pump. The electrician is coming tomorrow to set things up but he said he wouldn't know anything about pumps for a waterfall. There will be a switch from the back of the house for the pump. The rockery/waterfall will be some 3 metres in length and 2 metres in height. The posts above about gunk blocking things up and pumps recurrently breaking have me wondering what sort of pump would be most reliable for this task, and where in Dublin/Leinster can we get good value on such a pump? What voltage (?) power flow (?) etc should I be seeking?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Instead of setting up my own thread I'll bump this informative thread. I, too, am not sure what's the most reliable pump. The electrician is coming tomorrow to set things up but he said he wouldn't know anything about pumps for a waterfall. There will be a switch from the back of the house for the pump. The rockery/waterfall will be some 3 metres in length and 2 metres in height. The posts above about gunk blocking things up and pumps recurrently breaking have me wondering what sort of pump would be most reliable for this task, and where in Dublin/Leinster can we get good value on such a pump? What voltage (?) power flow (?) etc should I be seeking?

Thanks.

Get an Oase - probably need to get it online. Use a hosepipe & adjust it so that the waterfall has the right flow, then measure the flow rate. This will tell you which pump. If you have a pond then add at least double for a filter. You need to check the flow rate of the pump at the height of the waterfall. Too much flow is better than too little as you can easily regulate it.

Advertisement