Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Army medical and mental health

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 HomemadeMummy

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I have no idea why you'd think this thread isn't genuine, but for what it's worth, it's not very hard to get diagnosed and medicated for depression when you live in the north, the NHS will throw antidepressants at any mildly troubled youth who walks through their doors. I find it insulting that half the people in this thread seem to think I'll shoot myself the second I get my hands on a gun. I've never hurt myself or anyone else and I've come through my experience a stronger person. I don't expect the army to see it that way, but there's no reason for people on this thread to be so narrow minded when it comes to mental health.

These type of threads pop up every so often by rereg idiots with low post counts....we both qualify in that regard. Its anprovocative thread with a controversial subject with comparisons to other forces. Thats why I dont believe you but I am replying for the benefit of genuine lurkers.

Are you now suggesting you were labelled as 'depressed' and wrongly medicated by the NHS due to laxadasical practices and that you had no issues?

I dont care if you feel insulted by my reference to mental health issues being attributed to suicides in the DF, its a fact so take it whatever way you see fit.

As someone who is responsible for troops at home and overseas, someone with mental health issues would be a huge concern to me and the welfare of the other troops. It is entirely possible that someone with issues will affect other troops in some way, shape or form and I wont be labelled as 'narrow minded' for it.

I'm not suggesting I was wrongly labelled, but it was as simple as going in, saying I felt down and being prescribed medication immediately. Most of my issues stemmed from family circumstances in my adolescence that are resolved. The reason I say I feel insulted and that you are narrow minded is because the spectrum of mental health issues is as varied as the spectrum of physical health issues. Obviously someone who had trouble differentiating the real world from their imagination or who had violent or suicidal tendencies should be ineligible, but with someone who basically just had a low mood at a time in their life when anyone would've it's a little more nuanced. I understand that the army probably won't care about this nuance, but if I'm honest I reckon most people have experienced the level of mild depression that I have, including many who would go on to serve with no issues. The only difference is that I went and sought help so now there's a paper trail.

This isn't about my ego, I'm saying that since I've already applied I'm not going to drop out because even though there's almost no chance, there's always more chance if you do the thing than if you back out. I accept your advice and the advice of most other posters here that it's probably not going to end well, but I'm going to go through with the process anyway because even a 0.001% chance is better than none.

It is about your ego.

So you have applied for the RDF, did you declare that you had no medical issues?

You can think that if you'd like, I'm just trying to get where I want to be. I didn't have to declare that when I applied for the RDF, the medical comes after the fitness test and interview. And, seeing as we're in the present tense, I don't have any medical issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I'm not suggesting I was wrongly labelled, but it was as simple as going in, saying I felt down and being prescribed medication immediately. Most of my issues stemmed from family circumstances in my adolescence that are resolved. The reason I say I feel insulted and that you are narrow minded is because the spectrum of mental health issues is as varied as the spectrum of physical health issues. Obviously someone who had trouble differentiating the real world from their imagination or who had violent or suicidal tendencies should be ineligible, but with someone who basically just had a low mood at a time in their life when anyone would've it's a little more nuanced. I understand that the army probably won't care about this nuance, but if I'm honest I reckon most people have experienced the level of mild depression that I have, including many who would go on to serve with no issues. The only difference is that I went and sought help so now there's a paper trail.

You dont have to explain yourself to me.

So you applied online, yes? Have you a ROI address? Where are you hoping to be stationed? How will you get you DF issue kit into another State jurisdiction?

A guy from NI looking to join the RDF who has been diagnised with depression and medicated for it.

Best of luck, I should have been out earlier but im out now.

You dont have to explain yourself to me.

So you applied online, yes? Have you a ROI address? Where are you hoping to be stationed? How will you get you DF issue kit into another State jurisdiction?

A guy from NI looking to join the RDF who has been diagnised with depression and medicated for it.

Best of luck, I should have been out earlier but im out now.

I live about 10 minutes from the border and 30 minutes from the nearest barracks, and it's an open border. The fact that I'm from the north has absolutely no bearing on this.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to comment and reiterate that I accept your assessment that I will almost certainly be disqualified, but I'm still going to give it my best shot. In the likely event that I don't make it in, I'll try to serve in some other way, most likely the diplomatic service. I want to apologise for any offence caused by my misunderstanding or persistence. I've come a long way personally with this as my goal, so it's obviously upsetting that it's likely to be impossible due to events beyond my control.

Advertisement