Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying New Lawn

Options
  • 28-05-2018 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi folks

Looking for some advice regarding a new lawn. I have a north facing back garden. I have just dug up the sod and looking to lay a new lawn. It was a new build and the soil has alot of stone. The most shaded area is down the back so i know a new lawn i will be battling moss. The area is 5.8m wide and 7.6 long. I have started digging it over before i bring in the top soil. Just wondering how to solve the moss issue and cheap fix drainage ideas. Anyone and idea on how much a landscaper would cost for the job? Don't mind putting in the work but if the price was reasonable i would pay for the work to be done. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Burks_ie wrote: »
    Hi folks

Looking for some advice regarding a new lawn. I have a north facing back garden. I have just dug up the sod and looking to lay a new lawn. It was a new build and the soil has alot of stone. The most shaded area is down the back so i know a new lawn i will be battling moss. The area is 5.8m wide and 7.6 long. I have started digging it over before i bring in the top soil. Just wondering how to solve the moss issue and cheap fix drainage ideas. Anyone and idea on how much a landscaper would cost for the job? Don't mind putting in the work but if the price was reasonable i would pay for the work to be done. Thanks

I'd get a few quotes anyway, including a plan from each contractor who quotes as to how they would deal with the drainage question and the possible moss problem.

Quotes will depend on where you are in the country as well as what work is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Burks_ie

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I'd get a few quotes anyway, including a plan from each contractor who quotes as to how they would deal with the drainage question and the possible moss problem.

Quotes will depend on where you are in the country as well as what work is needed.

Its only a small section that is slightly swampy down the bottom of the garden rest of the garden drains ok. I know landscaping can be expensive so if i could put in a simple soakaway to solve the problem i would just do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I put in a soakaway conected into the drainage system myself. I also laid the lawn turn myself. Luckily the area wasn't too large, about 6 x 4 metres.
    One thing I did do was dig some soil improver I got from mulch.ie into the topsoil. It did a great job of improving the quality.

Advertisement