Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry-level Office Admin type jobs in Vancouver?

Options
  • 28-05-2018 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

So I'm moving to Vancouver pretty soon and would like to get set up with a job ASAP.

I have an Arts degree with a major in English. My previous jobs have been in retail, fitness/Personal Training and English teaching, but I've kinda decided none of these are what I want to do for a career. For the past 8 months I've been studying coding/web development and would like to apply for jobs in that area later this year, but I wouldn't be ready just yet.

I've never actually worked in an office before. I did a week on reception in a gym, and have experience using Microsoft Word for college, but that's it. I completed my ECDL cert in school, but that was like, 12 years ago. At the moment I'm doing some tutorials on Microsoft Office programs so that hopefully I'll be ready for anything they ask me to do in an office-type job.

Has anyone any recommendations on specific things I should study, or any tips on getting these types of jobs? I assume I'll have to familiarize myself with making spreadsheets and doing some Excel calculations, but if anyone can give me specific guidance, that'd be great.

(P.S. The reason I'd rather do office-type work than, say, teaching or retail or whatever, is that because at least office work involves using a computer, and some of the skills, (like data-entry, HTML, etc) might be transferable for when I start applying to Web Developer jobs, and will probably look better on my CV.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

When you say studying code/web development, is that on a course with a cert?

What languages is it teaching?

Office admin or data entry would have very basic requirements that you should be able to nail in an interview. A lot of entry-level roles would provide some training.

If you have perfect English both spoken and written, and you have half competent with a computer then there is no reason why you could't be an entry level employee (while you work towards Jr. Developer)

I think they call them temps in Canada

EDIT:

I'm a software engineer so ask me anything. Also for office work...try to learn how to write Macros. They are small pieces of code that run inside excel / word. You can add a button and make your macro run when it's clicked. Super easy stuff. Visual Basic if I remember correctly. But I would never mention VB in a professional software interview, you'd be laughed out the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

When you say studying code/web development, is that on a course with a cert?

What languages is it teaching?
    Initially, I got interested in it when I saw an advertisement for Code Institute's bootcamp, but after I attended the Open Day and saw the prices I realised I couldn't afford to do it, so decided to try learn via free/cheap online courses on Udemy and the like.

The one I was following mostly was the Odin Project. It's a full-stack curriculum that starts with HTML/CSS/Javascript, then goes onto Ruby/Rails. I kinda veered off the curriculum eventually because I wanted to learn things like Bootsrap/SASS, CSS Flexbox/Grid etc, so I could make my projects look the way I wanted them to. I think maybe I'd be more suited to Front-End dev, since I quite like art and have always enjoyed photo/video-editing.

I've just put this on the backburner for now though, as I really doubt anyone in Vancouver would hire me until I put some proper projects onto my Github/portfolio. I've only done small personal projects so far. Might have to do a bootcamp eventually, just to get my foot in the door for a job.
    Office admin or data entry would have very basic requirements that you should be able to nail in an interview. A lot of entry-level roles would provide some training.

If you have perfect English both spoken and written, and you have half competent with a computer then there is no reason why you could't be an entry level employee (while you work towards Jr. Developer)

I think they call them temps in Canada
    I'm definitely competent with a computer, and am from Dublin, so no problems with the language. Should be grand!
    I'm a software engineer so ask me anything. Also for office work...try to learn how to write Macros. They are small pieces of code that run inside excel / word. You can add a button and make your macro run when it's clicked. Super easy stuff. Visual Basic if I remember correctly. But I would never mention VB in a professional software interview, you'd be laughed out the room.

Haha I've heard of it before. Think they mentioned it in the last series of Stranger Things. I won't mention it so! I'll check Youtube/udemy for any tutorials on Macros anyway. Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Unless you're exceptionally talented, you aren't going to get any dev job by doing a bootcamp or any kind of online course. You'll need a degree minimum.

As far as getting any other job, any reason you have an office job in mind? By all means apply but you're at a disadvantage considering you've never worked in an office before.

I say get a CV sorted and apply for anything you can get.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Unless you're exceptionally talented, you aren't going to get any dev job by doing a bootcamp or any kind of online course. You'll need a degree minimum.

As far as getting any other job, any reason you have an office job in mind? By all means apply but you're at a disadvantage considering you've never worked in an office before.

I say get a CV sorted and apply for anything you can get.
    As I said, the reason for an office job is that some of the skills picked up in an office job might be more transferable to coding/web development.

I did a lot of looking into this before I started studying. Some people have your opinion, but then others seem to have got jobs through networking, going to MeetUps, hackathons, etc.

The bootcamps often brag about their employment rates. Take a look at this company, who run a bootcamp in Vancouver, for instance.

https://lighthouselabs.ca/studentoutcomes (96% of graduates after the 10 week bootcamp are hired within 120 days).

Are they false advertising? I know it seems too good to be true, but those bootcamps are prohibitively expensive. ( €7000 for the full-time 12 week course in Dublin)

Speaking in Dublinese, you are taking outta yer hoop.

I'm currently working with a developer who done a 12 week boot camp. He's a back end dev writing our API and he is good at his job. It is true that he converted from a non IT degree which may give an advantage with snooty hiring managers who worship pieces of paper over technical ability.

This day and age if he can name drop his git hub in an technical interview they are going to look past qualifications if he can code.

Don't listen to Pelvis man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I'm not saying someone doing a bootcamp wouldn't be good at whatever job they may get. I'm saying unless you have a degree your CV more often than not won't make it past HR. All other things being equal the guy with the degree is going to get the job over you.

True, you could network your way into a place if you have the skills to back it up. But this is the exception not the rule, and anyone who tells you otherwise are the ones talking through their hoop.

IAll other things being equal the guy with the degree is going to get the job over you.

This just isn't true anymore in the tech world. You are either very naive or extremely old fashioned.

Classic education has gone out the window and so has the suit and tie. I wore shorts and a t-shirt to work today.

Get with the times. "The future is now, old man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

jme2010 wrote: »
    This just isn't true anymore in the tech world. You are either very naive or extremely old fashioned.

Classic education has gone out the window and so has the suit and tie. I wore shorts and a t-shirt to work today.

Get with the times. "The future is now, old man"

Qualifications are important in Canada, particularly if you are coming from overseas with little or no experience. I would agree in general that bootcamp courses are not worth a whole lot.

Cheers for the input guys. My hope is in the long run I can make some really good projects and show them to people online, or even in-person at events and maybe then someone would put a word in to a hiring manager, since getting hired on the basis of my CV is highly unlikely.

For now though, I'm just gonna focus on getting my first job in Vancouver. I heard employers really value Canadian work experience, so I'll take whatever half-decent offers I can get for a start.

CM24 wrote: »
    Cheers for the input guys. My hope is in the long run I can make some really good projects and show them to people online, or even in-person at events and maybe then someone would put a word in to a hiring manager, since getting hired on the basis of my CV is highly unlikely.

For now though, I'm just gonna focus on getting my first job in Vancouver. I heard employers really value Canadian work experience, so I'll take whatever half-decent offers I can get for a start.

Best of luck brother. All you need to do is get to the technical interview and show them your skills. It's usually the one after a screening call from the recruiter.

Come back here and update the thread soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement