Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    No harm Hawkeye but that report seems to be more about you and how your opinions are so much better than others, than the match itself.

Never read one of his posts before no?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

bruschi wrote: »
    the 4 weeks in a row was not a factor in Wexford losing on Saturday evening. I say that as a disappointed Wexford supporter.

I do think it should change, realistically how can it be deemed fair that Wexford play 4 weeks in a row and the team they play the deciding game in the 4th of these games has the week off previous to it. Bad luck of the draw, but again, not a deciding factor. Wexford had it in their grasp and gave up doing what was serving them well through the first half.

I would disagree with you. I thought Wexford looked noticeably tired in the second half, while there was a few "tactical injuries " Chin was definitely struggling with cramp late on and i think it probably was the difference!

Just looking at the final table in today's paper i realised but for Liam Blanchfield's goal in Parnell Park we would be out of the Championship. Small margins!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I would disagree with you. I thought Wexford looked noticeably tired in the second half, while there was a few "tactical injuries " Chin was definitely struggling with cramp late on and i think it probably was the difference!

I wouldnt use Chin as an example of 4 weeks in a row being too much for a player.

All teams look ragged when the other one gets a run on them and cant stop the tide. Point being, Wexford just stopped playing the way they were tactically, nevermind physically, from the first half and made a huge amount of unforced errors. That had nothing to do with tiredness.

bruschi wrote: »
    I wouldnt use Chin as an example of 4 weeks in a row being too much for a player.

All teams look ragged when the other one gets a run on them and cant stop the tide. Point being, Wexford just stopped playing the way they were tactically, nevermind physically, from the first half and made a huge amount of unforced errors. That had nothing to do with tiredness.

Chin clearly was cramping and was out on his feet, he barely touched the ball in the last 20 minutes. If it's not tiredness what is it?

Would you not entertain the notion that the reason Kilkenny "got a run" on ye was because they were the fresher team? The reason ye went away from the tactical plan was mental tiredness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Brilliant second half. Kilkenny are capable of beating all that are left in it. Galway while good and very good are far from unbeatable but long may the papers and pundits say they are. One thing though, no Kilkenny player changes position during a game without Cody's express permission to do so. Cody may very well give them permission to try things but only things he pre-approves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Davy is quoted in a Sunday paper as saying in an after match interview..."if Kilkenny see a little chink they'll go for it" 😂😂😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Chin clearly was cramping and was out on his feet, he barely touched the ball in the last 20 minutes. If it's not tiredness what is it?

Would you not entertain the notion that the reason Kilkenny "got a run" on ye was because they were the fresher team? The reason ye went away from the tactical plan was mental tiredness?

the reference to Chin was his self proclamation of not working anymore so he can concentrate on hurling, ie a "professional hurler". I'm getting more and more frustrated with him to be honest and would much rather he stopped with all the self promotion and interviews and actually concentrated on what is propelling him to these things, his hurling ability.

Of course I would entertain that notion, it could well be a factor. However, IMO, it was far from the defining factor of the game and more of a coincidence or unfortunate sequence that Wexford had the 4 games in a row and lost out in the second half of the game. Mental tiredness doesnt excuse Conor Mac hitting speculative shots when the pass is on, or the defenders not picking up a pass and giving away possession for scores, or having O Connor hitting a long range free when Paudi Foley is much better from distance. Silly individual errors on the line and from players cost them more than 4 weeks IMO.

Cody had the balls to take off big name players at half time for not playing well, our big name players played the full game despite being crap in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Just looking at the final table in today's paper i realised but for Liam Blanchfield's goal in Parnell Park we would be out of the Championship. Small margins!
    if we had beaten wexford would we not have finished on 4 points like wexford with the better head to head?J do agree tiny margins and i think dublin have being very unlucky in this championship.
    Galway do look the best team at the moment and limerick and cork are probably next but theres very little between most teams.
    I was talking to some lads in work who think kk are poor but the thing is we've bloodied a lot of players,we havent played a good 70 mins of hurling yet in particular our fowards but we're in a leinster final and have a league title in the bag.
    We havent got a settled team but we have a decent squad and we've 3 weeks to prepare for a crack at galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

brookville wrote: »
    if we had beaten wexford would we not have finished on 4 points like wexford with the better head to head?J do agree tiny margins and i think dublin have being very unlucky in this championship.

Dublin would also have been on 4 points.
    KK would be 4th due to inferior scoring difference compared to Wexford and Dublin.

• Advertisement

Galway do look the best team at the moment and limerick and cork are probably next but theres very little between most teams.
    I was talking to some lads in work who think kk are poor but the thing is we've bloodied a lot of players,we havent played a good 70 mins of hurling yet in particular our fowards but we're in a leinster final and have a league title in the bag.
    We havent got a settled team but we have a decent squad and we've 3 weeks to prepare for a crack at galway.

Ourselves Dublin and Wexford would have been on 4 points so it would have been decided on scoring difference and our was significantly inferior to the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Eoin Murphy. Paul Murphy. Paddy Deegan. Conor Delaney. Joey Holden.Padraigh Walsh.Cillian Buckley. Ritchie Leahy. James Maher.John Donnelly. Walter Walsh.Tj Reid. Luke Scanlan. Liam Blanchfield. Mossy Keoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Brilliant second half. Kilkenny are capable of beating all that are left in it. Galway while good and very good are far from unbeatable but long may the papers and pundits say they are. One thing though, no Kilkenny player changes position during a game without Cody's express permission to do so. Cody may very well give them permission to try things but only things he pre-approves.

All remaining teams capable of beating KK too though. Both Cork and Limerick play with great pace, something I'd always be wary of.

MfMan wrote: »
    All remaining teams capable of beating KK too though. Both Cork and Limerick play with great pace, something I'd always be wary of.

As do Clare. Genuinely would only be hopeful of winning a quarter final after we lose the Leinster Final. Limerick are the ones i would fear the most because they have pace and physicality and i can seriously see them putting up to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Fancy 3 Leinster teams to make simifinals
    Kilkenny beat Clare play limerick
    Wexford beat cork play Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Hitchens

When the GAH decided it was a good idea to foist Galway on Leinster they should have ended the Leinster and Munster Championships and introduced the open draw

Eoin Murphy. Paul Murphy. Paddy Deegan. Conor Delaney. Joey Holden.Padraigh Walsh.Cillian Buckley. Ritchie Leahy. James Maher.John Donnelly. Walter Walsh.Tj Reid. Luke Scanlan. Liam Blanchfield. Mossy Keoghan

i know richie and colin didnt go well on saturday night well richie at least drove 3 wides but id start them two against galway because we were completely out muscled in salthill and if we are to compete with galway we have to have big men on the half foward line who can win primary possesion.Itll be intresting to see what kind of team he picks but hats off to the management for getting it right tactically in the 2nd half our half fowards and mf seemed to drop back into our half back line leaving space for tj up front while leahy and mossy flew up and down their wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

One thing at a time.galway then we will see where were at.for me picking the right team is key the next day.
    My team would be.
    E.murphy
    P.murphy
    P.deegan
    Joey
    P.walsh
    J.cleere
    Bucko
    J.maher
    R.leahy
    R.hogan
    Tj
    Walter
    Blanch
    Colin
    Ger awlyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

dubcat51 wrote: »
    One thing at a time.galway then we will see where were at.for me picking the right team is key the next day.
    My team would be.
    E.murphy
    P.murphy
    P.deegan
    Joey
    P.walsh
    J.cleere
    Bucko
    J.maher
    R.leahy
    R.hogan
    Tj
    Walter
    Blanch
    Colin
    Ger awlyard.

Joey is too slow to mark there nippy small corner forward.
    Deegan full back, ?...

The next day needs to be a man marking job in the backs, each player marks a specific forward. Outside of that thought we need to bring more physical strength to the game.
    A Murphy

P Murphy
    P Walsh
    Deegan

Delaney
    Holden
    Buckley

Fogarty
    Lester Ryan

Leahy/Maher
    W Walsh
    Fennelly

R Hogan
    TJ Reid
    J Donnelly

The midfield was physically overrun the last day in Pearse Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Let hogan roam where ever he wants. I would get Joey to stick with J Canning all day.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

John Horan (President of the GAA) stated on Morning Ireland yesterday that April for clubs was not intended for counties to run their championships. He said that was a misconception. It was just intended so the county players could link up with their clubs.

Tipperary were said on this forum to be one of the counties who made a big effort to play club championship games in April. Given there exit from the inter county scene in hurling, I wonder what is the feeling in Tipperary now as to whether that was the right thing to do? I know there are a lot of visitors here from Tipperary and its not intended to rub salt into wounds. Its just as this is new to us all, it would be interesting to get The Tipperary view given the Tipperary approach was different to the Kilkenny approach. I know it might make more sense when looking at the year as a whole.

Last week, the CPA made an unheralded announcement that they would have an input into the master fixtures list for 2019. Any of those who claim to be members of the CPA know what the general thoughts are from a Kilkenny point of view yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Dionysis wrote: »
    Deegan full back, ?...

The next day needs to be a man marking job in the backs, each player marks a specific forward. Outside of that thought we need to bring more physical strength to the game.
    A Murphy

P Murphy
    P Walsh
    Deegan

Delaney
    Holden
    Buckley

Fogarty
    Lester Ryan

Leahy/Maher
    W Walsh
    Fennelly

R Hogan
    TJ Reid
    J Donnelly

Lester Ryan isn't even coming off the bench these days, so I can't see him starting.

Dionysis wrote: »
    Deegan full back, ?...

A Murphy

P Murphy
    P Walsh
    Deegan

Delaney
    Holden
    Buckley

Fogarty
    Lester Ryan

Leahy/Maher
    W Walsh
    Fennelly

R Hogan
    TJ Reid
    J Donnelly

Lester Ryan isn't even coming off the bench these days, so I can't see him starting.
    didnt make the squad last saturday but we've seen lads like sheehan and conor o shea come from no where

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

didnt make the squad last saturday but we've seen lads like sheehan and conor o shea come from no where

To be honest I don't think Maher and Fogarty won't be changed anytime soon and Lester has had more than enough chances at this stage, Maher has been one of our best players so far as well,anyway I'll throw up a team.

Murphy

Murphy
    Delaney
    Deegan

Walsh
    Buckley
    Holden

Maher
    Fogarty

Hogan
    Reid
    Leahy

Donnelly
    Walsh
    Blanchfield

I can't see Padraig being moved but I think we're much more dangerous with him half back.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

Fancy 3 Leinster teams to make simifinals
    Kilkenny beat Clare play limerick
    Wexford beat cork play Galway

Yea,would see the exact same happening.Clare are nothing special would fancy KK to beat them.Tipp were coasting Sunday 1-10 to 0-5 points..KK would be fare more ruthless in that position.Well i suppose every team would be apart from Tipp.Expect Tipp to further decline under Ryan if he stays

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

As mentioned above the managment have a few big calls to make again. Will they go with physicality and play lads struggling for form? It would prob be best off to start hogan and take him off if not going well. If we bring him on and he struggles it's a disaster.

Was Conor Delaney injured the last day? Joey after playing well against Galway and Wexford now. Padraig Walsh impressing out the field.

I'd have leahy Tj and wally in the half forward line mainly because they all have a good hand. Galway will be hard to beat but I think we're more than good enough to put it up to them. We have to try get ahead of them though as they are good leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Think were well capable of beating galway.match the last day was poor all round IMO.playing in croke park will be a great test for our young players.padraig at 5 is key for me.his inspirational pounts and burta forward lift the team and the crowd.A strong half back line stops bal going into the full back line and creates attacks.joey deserves his place and was very good in the league.realky looking forward to this game.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Think were well capable of beating galway.match the last day was poor all round IMO.playing in croke park will be a great test for our young players.padraig at 5 is key for me.his inspirational pounts and burta forward lift the team and the crowd.A strong half back line stops bal going into the full back line and creates attacks.joey deserves his place and was very good in the league.realky looking forward to this game.
    Half back line is important but the half foward line is as important.Winning possession here and stopping the quality ball going into their fowards.Padraig mannion had a field day the last time and he scored 3 points last weekend again i think.We'll have to try get on top here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Heard from a reliable source today that Lester dropped himself off the panel at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Comerman wrote: »
    Heard from a reliable source today that Lester dropped himself off the panel at the weekend.
    shame if true but not a shock i was told saturday night he wasnt injured but after going through all the pre season its a pity but obviously not in codys plan and we're probably better of trying to get maher or leahy up to scratch.
    if true id like to thank him for all his effort a very honest player and a nice lad who was unlucky to come at a time fogarty and fennelly were going well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement