Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

On the plus side, there's no excuse now for not getting a few rounds of the club in this side of Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

I fully expect Dublin to give Kilkenny there fill of it come summer time,

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

C__MC wrote: »

I don't think anybody from Kilkenny will see it as an automatic victory either.

Kilkenny are well out of that league. They can sit back and watch the other eejits flog the life out of each other well into April now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

A few observations. Kilkenny had very inexperienced teams out during the entire league. About five players plated in their "normal" positions today. Clearly, Cody used the league to try out things. It's been difficult for the new lads in the absence of so many experienced players. But they'll have learned. Nobody expects us to be champions this year, we're building.

It wasn't Fogarty who hit caught for the goal, much as one particular poster would like to think. The poster wasn't at the matched or watched it or wasn't very observant.

Finally, Wexford have some record for managing to get opposition players red carded. It was Conor Delaney's turn today. A pity as the Kilkenny players were very disciplined for the large portion of the game despite experiencing antagonistic behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

It's hard to judge where we are at, there's been some positives but the second half today and the limerick game were hard to take. It will be interesting to see who is cut from the panel and the break might be a blessing. We've got to be positive there's players to come in and people will be played in the correct positions. The teams had plenty of changes so when I'm looking forward to a set bunch trying to gel. I'd like to see more of browne

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Groups for the League in 2020 and 2021.

Group A Teams
    Limerick
    Tipp
    Waterford
    Galway
    Kilkenny/Cork winner
    Westmeath

Group B Teams
    Wexford
    Clare
    Kilkenny or Cork loser
    Dublin
    Carlow
    Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

laneykin wrote: »

Group A Teams
    Limerick
    Tipp
    Waterford
    Galway
    Kilkenny/Cork winner
    Westmeath

Group B Teams
    Wexford
    Clare
    Kilkenny or Cork loser
    Dublin
    Carlow
    Laois
    Oh thank God, for a few years there the league was exciting, full of intense games where something was at stake, and the league standings were always interesting, with something to play for for everyone, and nobody able to take it for granted. It's a good thing they fixed that situation and got back to what made the league great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Group A Teams
    Limerick
    Tipp
    Waterford
    Galway
    Kilkenny/Cork winner
    Westmeath

Group B Teams
    Wexford
    Clare
    Kilkenny or Cork loser
    Dublin
    Carlow
    Laois
    Also, Cork or Kilkenny would be better off losing the stupid relegation match. Bravo to the geniuses who devised this thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Grats wrote: »
    A few observations. Kilkenny had very inexperienced teams out during the entire league. About five players plated in their "normal" positions today. Clearly, Cody used the league to try out things. It's been difficult for the new lads in the absence of so many experienced players. But they'll have learned. Nobody expects us to be champions this year, we're building.

It wasn't Fogarty who hit caught for the goal, much as one particular poster would like to think. The poster wasn't at the matched or watched it or wasn't very observant.

Finally, Wexford have some record for managing to get opposition players red carded. It was Conor Delaney's turn today. A pity as the Kilkenny players were very disciplined for the large portion of the game despite experiencing antagonistic behaviour.

What did Dunbar do to get Delaney sent off?

• Advertisement

Group A Teams
    Limerick
    Tipp
    Waterford
    Galway
    Kilkenny/Cork winner
    Westmeath

Group B Teams
    Wexford
    Clare
    Kilkenny or Cork loser
    Dublin
    Carlow
    Laois

So once again the loser of a relegation playoff actually has a better chance of success on paper than the winner of the relegation playoff in the following years competition. The GAA has an interesting understanding of the whole concept of a league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

yea it was blanch who got caught for the goal and infairness to him he was one of our better performers.
    as others have said we do look a good bit behind others in the s&c but i suppose this just takes time.
    im obviously very dissapointed with today but we have to give wex credit they pushed limerick all the way,beat tipp,lost to clare by a point and beat us handy enough in the end.Im sure davey is anxious to try win this league obviously we were aswell but last year tj carried us through the league.The one concern i do have and it was evident at times last year we are not getting enough from our fowards.I just hope the few lads can return later in the year and trouble the scoreboard.
    finally now that we exit the league and heading into the championship unfortunately we havent got a settled line which is dissapointing but it was important to try blood lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

C__MC wrote: »

You beat me to it - Dublin were very unlucky last May in Parnellel Park. They should have beat KK.

Re: playing Wexford. Theybully us and are not shy about it. Too strong, physical and won 70% of the rucks I'd say. That type of game and the conditions etc. suit Wexford and whether they can sustain over the good ground and dry conditions, time will tell.

I think they haven't settled on a main free taker - they have 3 or 4. Maybe that's a good thing, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Topcat32 wrote: »
    So once again the loser of a relegation playoff actually has a better chance of success on paper than the winner of the relegation playoff in the following years competition. The GAA has an interesting understanding of the whole concept of a league.

Wasn't it always thus though with 1B being much easier to get a QF spot from. Trade off being you have more games against 'weaker' oppostion

KevIRL wrote: »
    Wasn't it always thus though with 1B being much easier to get a QF spot from. Trade off being you have more games against 'weaker' oppostion

Yeah that's why I said once again. I suppose the idea was that divisions would be more equal but it doesnt really seem to have worked out like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

bruschi wrote: »
    What did Dunbar do to get Delaney sent off?

He made a meal out of it, even John Mullane was giving out about the sending off.

brookville wrote: »
    yea it was blanch who got caught for the goal and infairness to him he was one of our better performers.
    as others have said we do look a good bit behind others in the s&c but i suppose this just takes time.
    im obviously very dissapointed with today but we have to give wex credit they pushed limerick all the way,beat tipp,lost to clare by a point and beat us handy enough in the end.Im sure davey is anxious to try win this league obviously we were aswell but last year tj carried us through the league.The one concern i do have and it was evident at times last year we are not getting enough from our fowards.I just hope the few lads can return later in the year and trouble the scoreboard.
    finally now that we exit the league and heading into the championship unfortunately we havent got a settled line which is dissapointing but it was important to try blood lads.

Definitely see your point about the forwards during the league but I still think if we get players fit we are better off in the forwards than the backs, Reid, Hogan, Fennelly, Walsh, Aylward and one other from Blanchfield, Leahy, Ryan, Donnelly is a decent forward line on paper, you could possibly add Adrian Mullen to that, whereas even if we get all our backs available we are still short by quite a bit I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Big game in Nowlan Park mayb next weekend according to RTE Sport's website.:confused:

GAA announce details of Division 1 hurling quarter-finals

The GAA have announced the Allianz Hurling League Division 1 quarter-finals.

Wexford will visit Galway, Tipperary host Dublin while Clare and Waterford will toss for home venue. Limerick are already through to the semi-finals having beaten Laois in their last-eight game on Saturday.

The quarter-finals will take place next weekend, Saturday 16 March to Monday 18 March with venues finalised by Croke Park's Central Competitions Control Committee early next week.

It’s unlikely that the GAA will put any matches up against the All-Ireland club finals on St Patrick’s Day so Saturday and the bank holiday Monday are the more likely choices.

Where a team that had two home games in Division 1’s regular season is playing a team that had three home ties, home venue goes to the former.

In a case where both played the same number of home games already this season, the quarter-final venue is decided by a coin toss.

In the Division 1A relegation play-off it’s bottom plays second bottom – Cork v Kilkenny at Nowlan Park. This will decide who will feature in which of hurling’s two top-flight divisions in 2020.

The semi-finals will be Limerick versus Tipp or Dublin, and Wexford or Galway against Clare or Dublin. The semi-finals are on the weekend of 23/24 March, with the final a week later.

The League will run a week later than scheduled after many of last weekend’s games fell victim to bad weather.

In Division 1B, Offaly were relegated following their dramatic defeat to Carlow and they are replaced by Division 2A champions Westmeath.

London drop out of Division 2A, with Wicklow promoted as Division 2B table-toppers. Donegal are relegated from Division 2B with Roscommon promoted from 3A. Sligo won Division 3B and will replace relegated Lancashire in Division 3A.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    He made a meal out of it, even John Mullane was giving out about the sending off.

He may have made a meal of it but the ref, who had his back turned, made a bigger meal of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

He may have made a meal of it but the ref, who had his back turned, made a bigger meal of it.

Will he be out for long Delany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Dissapointed with the 2nd half today.but cody quiet clearly used the legue to try and find players that will be championship players.how many from today will start at all v dublin and in what position.cant see padraig in midfield for example.
    Lets see a nd judge at the end of the leinster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

True, the ref was running up the field for the free. IF Delaney should of been red carded then why wasn't O'connor red carded for his two handed plus hurl high tackle on John Donnelly or for slapping Maher into the face guard? Wexford played well and Kilkenny were poor but the referee was diabolical and had no control over the game, for example one or two wexford players warming their hands (swinging like a windmill) in front of every free. Plus the crowd heckling Murphy on the frees was scandalous.

Comerman wrote: »
    True, the ref was running up the field for the free. IF Delaney should of been red carded then why wasn't O'connor red carded for his two handed plus hurl high tackle on John Donnelly or for slapping Maher into the face guard? Wexford played well and Kilkenny were poor but the referee was diabolical and had no control over the game, for example one or two wexford players warming their hands (swinging like a windmill) in front of every free. Plus the crowd heckling Murphy on the frees was scandalous.

As you said, Wexford fully deserved the win but the antics from their players and management team we could do without. Clearly refs are falling for it, for now!

As you said, Wexford fully deserved the win but the antics from their players and management team we could do without. Clearly refs are falling for it, for now!
    We were watching during the frees today and the linesman closest was being chatted by one of the many wexford "maors' and the ref was being distracted by a player

Joe Daly wrote: »

He made a meal of getting a butt of the hurl in the chest by what? Walking away doing nothing? He made no gesture to the ref, didn't fall down or dive, he literally did nothing but give away a free, get jabbed and walked away. If it was a harsh red card, it had nothing to do with Dunbar "getting" Delaney sent off.

As for the posts now going into grounds of wexford bully boy tactics and getting in at Kilkenny, there must be some seriously short memories for some of ye. It's about time wexford had a backbone.

Anyone know the stats for the game? There were a lot of yellow cards, I lost track

Comerman wrote: »
    We were watching during the frees today and the linesman closest was being chatted by one of the many wexford "maors' and the ref was being distracted by a player

And more of it here. Luckily Cody has never ever gone after a referee or been in the ear of a linesman. No, I've never seen anything like that before

And more of it here. Luckily Cody has never ever gone after a referee or been in the ear of a linesman. No, I've never seen anything like that before
    I didn't mention the manager.Goodnight now.

He made a meal of getting a butt of the hurl in the chest by what? Walking away doing nothing? He made no gesture to the ref, didn't fall down or dive, he literally did nothing but give away a free, get jabbed and walked away. If it was a harsh red card, it had nothing to do with Dunbar "getting" Delaney sent off.

As for the posts now going into grounds of wexford bully boy tactics and getting in at Kilkenny, there must be some seriously short memories for some of ye. It's about time wexford had a backbone.

Welcome back! God knows we took plenty of stick over the years from various quarters, such as your one. We had to take it while the players got on with winning. You'll have to learn to do the same. With success comes criticism. Enjoy the success.

• Advertisement

Welcome back! God knows we took plenty of stick over the years from various quarters, such as your one. We had to take it while the players got on with winning. You'll have to learn to do the same. With success comes criticism. Enjoy the success.
    Today was their All Ireland (going by the crowds reaction) at the final whistle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement