Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

If Delaney deserved a straight red it wouldn't be so bad but with so many yellows issued in the game it's hard to see how the decision was made int the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

They go down handy those Wexford men ,OConner pulled twice on a man didn't see anything happening , what Seoirse Bulfin got away with last sunday was unreal the abuse he gave every official on the field he was in on the pitch more times I thought that was not allowed.

Its amazing a rural club like the shamrocks going for their 7th all Ireland not a word on here they have produced some great hurlers from Frank Cummins to present day that have served there County, club ,with pride never let the parish down. The best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Joe Daly wrote: »
    They go down handy those Wexford men ,OConner pulled twice on a man didn't see anything happening , what Seoirse Bulfin got away with last sunday was unreal the abuse he gave every official on the field he was in on the pitch more times I thought that was not allowed.

After the make believe stories here about Dunbar diving to get delaney sent off hard to take these comments seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

After the make believe stories here about Dunbar diving to get delaney sent off hard to take these comments seriously

One poster suggested that story! The rest of us questioned the refs decision and never put blame on the Wexford player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Any word on what the team for tomorrow might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

v Cork
    E Murphy
    M Cody, P Deegan, C Wallace
    E Morrissey, C O'Shea, T Walsh
    J Maher, C Browne
    P Lyng, A Murphy, R Leahy
    B Ryan, R Hogan, N Brassil
    Subs
    A Nolan
    G Malone
    C Martin
    J Donnelly
    P Murphy
    C Fogarty
    W Walsh
    L Blanchfield
    M Keoghan
    J Cleere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Grats wrote: »
    One poster suggested that story! The rest of us questioned the refs decision and never put blame on the Wexford player.

Fair enough, as a netural I feel yourselves and cork have every right to feel hard done by over the suspension fiasco. The gaa really make things alot more confusing than they need to be.

In Wexford there's confusion weather rory o'connor is suspended for our opening leinster championship game. He was sent off in last years all Ireland quarter final, I was under the impression he served that suspension in our opening league game which he was injured for anyway but some people reckon he's gone for our leinster opener against Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭big_drive

The game isn’t recognised as a proper fixture for suspension purposes but they recognise it alright in terms of admission price, full league cost at gate same as every other game. How well that suits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

v Cork
    E Murphy
    M Cody, P Deegan, C Wallace
    E Morrissey, C O'Shea, T Walsh
    J Maher, C Browne
    P Lyng, A Murphy, R Leahy
    B Ryan, R Hogan, N Brassil
    Subs
    A Nolan
    G Malone
    C Martin
    J Donnelly
    P Murphy
    C Fogarty
    W Walsh
    L Blanchfield
    M Keoghan
    J Cleere

Good to see few new players in there. Badly need them to step up now. I’m looking for backs and midfielders who are comfortable and quick on the ball in possession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Conor Martin shouldn't be on that list because he has left the Kilkenny panel.

When did he leave the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Seeing mike phelan return to man united as assistant manager and their upturn of results has made me wonder how much Kilkenny miss Martin fogarty and his influence on the team.

Did kilkenny not win two all Irelands two league titles since Martin left 2014, 15, all Irelands, 2014, 2018, leagues. Sure he is still in contact with Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭lukin

Is there any chance this game will be called off? A lot of rain falling here in Cork. What is it like in Kilkenny can someone tell me?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

lukin wrote: »
    Is there any chance this game will be called off? A lot of rain falling here in Cork. What is it like in Kilkenny can someone tell me?
    Thanks.

Just confirmed on Twitter that game goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭lukin

KevIRL wrote: »
    Just confirmed on Twitter that game goes ahead

Is that the Kilkenny GAA Twitter? Because the last tweet on there is from four days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Sorry I'm not going now, anyone know if it will be streamed or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

Now is a good time to look back on the league. We should all know at this stage the playing field is LEVEL. Our recent period of dominance is over, that’s not to say it won’t happen again. The All-Ireland can be won by ANY of 8 counties. Those who say it will take Kilkenny 10 years to win another All-Ireland could well be right. But the fact that the playing field is Level literally means we could actually win it this year just as easily. I guarantee that none of the hot air balloons will put their house on us Not winning it in the same way as I would Not back against Any of the other 7 (5 from Munster, Galway and Wexford).

To say that the All-Ireland can be won by any of 8 counties is a long way from saying the playing field is genuinely level which is why the bookmakers will have a different view.

The facts of the last few years show that there is a fairly clear pecking order. Cork have lost just one championship game in normal time out of their last 9. Galway have lost just one of the last 13 championship games.

Then take the other end of the scale: Tipperary have won just 2 of their last 7 championship games against the eight teams you mention in your post. Klkenny have won just 2 of their last 9 championship games against these teams.

Any implied claim all these teams have an equal chance makes no sense. And I have not even mentioned Limerick, the All-Ireland champions. Brian Cody always claimed that any of five or six teams could win the All-Ireland when Kilkenny were routinely winning it. They were just words then and the still sound like it.

Your reference to the League table showing how close things are does not stand up scrutiny either. The League table finished with the top team on 7 points, the next on 6, the next on 5 and the last three all on 4. In 2014 the League table finished with the teams on the exact number of points they had this year. The same two teams played in the League final and All-Ireland final that year with the same results so the closeness of the League table meant nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

C__MC wrote: »
    Seeing mike phelan return to man united as assistant manager and their upturn of results has made me wonder how much Kilkenny miss Martin fogarty and his influence on the team.

Could he bring back JJ, Tommy, Henry, Eddie, Larks, Hickey with him.

Shambles again today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Village87 wrote: »

Shambles again today

Guess we cant blame Paul Murphy and Conor Fogarty this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Village87 wrote: »

Shambles again today

I was only a kid in the mid 90s so can't remember too much about that team, but have we ever been this poor??

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I was only a kid in the mid 90s so can't remember too much about that team, but have we ever been this poor??

An experimental team lost a nothing match by two points today, obvious from the substitutions that the management weren't bothered by the results, I think you need to show a small bit of patience, and yes for me the team in 1996 and was worse in my opinion than our best 15 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

As expected a very tame match.probably unlucky to lose it after leading for the majority of the game.conceded a sloppy goal at the death but cork drove a load of wides.
    Cody today gave all the fringe lads game time and id say some have played their last game.tim o mahony caught a world of ball at six very surprised we presisted launching it on him but when we tried the handpassing game it was completly alien to us we just dont seem to be able mix it up.
    Lads have to be realistic when analysing this match it was a very inexperienced team and he chose to bring on ger malone and aidan nolan instead of wally or padraig or fogarty.the 2 corner backs first senior match.deegan at 3 probably never hurled there before and he struggled in the first half in praticluar.lads like cody or wallace have to learn but they were under huge pressure today with the ball coming in we couldnt hold it on our half foward line.Dissapointed with browne today.conor o shea and pat lyng will do well to make the squad in the summer.
    Alan murphy showed some nice touches he needs to up the workrate and physicality if he wants to make it.
    james maher had a solid game and brassil the pick of the fowards.
    We will hopefully be a different team when everyone comes back.great to see richie moving well hopefully he can stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Was sitting behind the subs today and there were only 6 there with Kevin Kelly and Padraig Walsh not even togged out, wearing tracksuits and runners. Think that alone shows how little Cody cared about this game today.

We’ll be better off in Group B for the next 2 years as we build and bring our team along to where they need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

laneykin wrote: »
    Was sitting behind the subs today and there were only 6 there with Kevin Kelly and Padraig Walsh not even togged out, wearing tracksuits and runners. Think that alone shows how little Cody cared about this game today.

We’ll be better off in Group B for the next 2 years as we build and bring our team along to where they need to be.

I agree. Better in 1B next season. Valuable game time for various player.

Hard to know what our first 15 will be come May time!

Anybody have the scorers and totals today?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Powerhouse wrote: »
    To say that the All-Ireland can be won by any of 8 counties is a long way from saying the playing field is genuinely level which is why the bookmakers will have a different view.

The facts of the last few years show that there is a fairly clear pecking order. Cork have lost just one championship game in normal time out of their last 9. Galway have lost just one of the last 13 championship games.

Then take the other end of the scale: Tipperary have won just 2 of their last 7 championship games against the eight teams you mention in your post. Klkenny have won just 2 of their last 9 championship games against these teams.

Any implied claim all these teams have an equal chance makes no sense. And I have not even mentioned Limerick, the All-Ireland champions. Brian Cody always claimed that any of five or six teams could win the All-Ireland when Kilkenny were routinely winning it. They were just words then and the still sound like it.

Your reference to the League table showing how close things are does not stand up scrutiny either. The League table finished with the top team on 7 points, the next on 6, the next on 5 and the last three all on 4. In 2014 the League table finished with the teams on the exact number of points they had this year. The same two teams played in the League final and All-Ireland final that year with the same results so the closeness of the League table meant nothing.

Interesting.
    So who do you say will win the 2019 All-ireland senior Hurling Final then?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

I agree. Better in 1B next season. Valuable game time for various player.

Irrelevant...
    From next year on the concept is that It is division 1 group A and division 1 group B whereas up to now Division 1B was really the second tier division who just so happened to have a huge advantage when it came to the knockouts stages as proven by the results of 3 of the 4 quarter finals.

And why would you want to give players game time??? Read back the comments already on todays match. Village87 for example. Look at the criticism the management get if you give lads game time....

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Nothing game and a nothing result.we movw on and the real stuff starts soon.results all over the place week in week out.hopefully ballyhale win tomorrow and everyone comes through un scathed.after that hopefully buckley cones back.from the league who do peopke think will start full vack v dublin.lawlor delaney or p walsh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Not Padraig Walsh at full back. Centre back perhaps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement