Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Village87 wrote: »
    Massive ask for Buckley to play. By all accounts he has not trained or played in 6 months. If he has any chance of playing he will need to play club championship next week. If he is not up to that then he should not be considered against Dublin 3 weeks later. No way can a player in the modern day game fit 6 months of non contact collective training into 3 weeks collective training. It would be a desperate act by Cody

Hopefully they learnt that lesson playing Padraig Walsh a couple of years ago in Wexford park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Or shefflin in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Mattie Kenny is going to have Dublin finely tuned to the last for this game, I have seen their performances gradually improve under him since January.
    Danny Sutcliffe will take a lot of watching and Dublin are physically a very fit and strong team.

I have this game down as 50/50 and either team could snatch a must win game really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

conor05 wrote: »
    Mattie Kenny is going to have Dublin finely tuned to the last for this game, I have seen their performances gradually improve under him since January.
    Danny Sutcliffe will take a lot of watching and Dublin are physically a very fit and strong team.

I have this game down as 50/50 and either team could snatch a must win game really.
    i agree this game is be very tight.We all seen last year how lucky we were.Gilroy done alot of good work but kenny has added to it and he is a very shrewd man.They have some very good defenders and will probably set up with extra bodies around our key men in attack like tj and wally so who ever else will be up there for us really need to be on their game.Mark schutte and keaney will both be a help to them but hopefully we will be ready and home advantage will be a help to us.ý
    i was talking to a boro man today who told me they dont expect to have buckley or sheehan available till the 3rd round of the league thats the midweek after the cw game but should we lose the first game to dublin could that round of club fixtures be in danger of being postponed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Tickets are on sale for the Dublin game already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    i agree this game is be very tight.We all seen last year how lucky we were.Gilroy done alot of good work but kenny has added to it and he is a very shrewd man.They have some very good defenders and will probably set up with extra bodies around our key men in attack like tj and wally so who ever else will be up there for us really need to be on their game.Mark schutte and keaney will both be a help to them but hopefully we will be ready and home advantage will be a help to us.ý
    i was talking to a boro man today who told me they dont expect to have buckley or sheehan available till the 3rd round of the league thats the midweek after the cw game but should we lose the first game to dublin could that round of club fixtures be in danger of being postponed?

If the match is fixed then id imagine they will go ahead, Kilkenny are off the following 2 weekends after the Carlow match so id imagine the midweek games will go ahead and great way for squad players to get game time. On another note it is a mid week game so id imagine club players have organised time off & travel plans etc for the day already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

When a county can produce a club team capable of winning a club All Ireland final by a cricket score without even breaking out of 4th gear that county have to be very serious contenders and in no way should be afraid of the Dublin, Galway's or Wexford's of the hurling world. Paper will take all the ink you can throw at it and every one is building up Dublin and Wexford in particular but the reality is they are mediocre teams at their best, Kilkenny, Galway Limerick and Tipp are the four best teams in the country despite what the league and the "journalists " would have you believe and Kilkenny have no reason to fear any of them. Once progressed out of the Leinster stages Kilkenny will have a full compliment back from injury and it is then the others should begin to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

When a county can produce a club team capable of winning a club All Ireland final by a cricket score without even breaking out of 4th gear that county have to be very serious contenders and in no way should be afraid of the Dublin, Galway's or Wexford's of the hurling world. Paper will take all the ink you can throw at it and every one is building up Dublin and Wexford in particular but the reality is they are mediocre teams at their best, Kilkenny, Galway Limerick and Tipp are the four best teams in the country despite what the league and the "journalists " would have you believe and Kilkenny have no reason to fear any of them. Once progressed out of the Leinster stages Kilkenny will have a full compliment back from injury and it is then the others should begin to worry.
    delusion on another level....

some very good matches on this weekend and thankfully the weather is giving good.Clara and the bridge and olg and the shamrocks should both be close and draw a big crowd.Hopefully no fresh injuries picked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Freshford v Glenmore Saturday afternoon it would be interesting to see how Ger Allyward will go, lots of matches hopefully there will be a clean bill of health no injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Freshford v Glenmore Saturday afternoon it would be interesting to see how Ger Allyward will go, lots of matches hopefully there will be a clean bill of health no injuries.

Some very good senior games this weekend,

Highlights being:

Bridge v Clara
    Village v Mullinavat
    Shamrocks v OLG

what's the last thing kk did to be considered a top 4 team? Winning leinster in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

what's the last thing kk did to be considered a top 4 team? Winning leinster in 2016?

What have any other team done to be considered in there ahead of Kilkenny?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    What have any other team done to be considered in there ahead of Kilkenny?
    Tipperary, galway & limerick won all Ireland's, cork & galway retained provincial titles

Tipperary, galway & limerick won all Ireland's, cork & galway retained provincial titles

And waterford got to a final

Galway were included in the 4 .

Cork won munster.
    And ? That makes them better than Kilkenny ?

And waterford got to a final

Clutching at straws now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Clutching at straws now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
    so what have kk done to merit top 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

delusion on another level....

Kilkenny arent better than Cork at the moment anyway.

so what have kk done to merit top 4?

Nat League Winners 2018 --- (seeing that you mentioned Waterford...)

I don't have to spell out Kilkennys records and history , have a look. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I don't have to spell out Kilkennys records and history , have a look. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why Kilkennys record and history means they should be considered top 4 in the country now.

As someone from Wexford, I will be disappointed if we dont beat Kilkenny in Wexford Park. Long time since I thought that, but won 2 years ago and threw it away last year. Would not fear Kilkenny one bit. Nor will they fear Wexford. It'll be competitive, but I dont see Kilkenny challenging for an AI final place.

bruschi wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Kilkennys record and history means they should be considered top 4 in the country now.

As someone from Wexford, I will be disappointed if we dont beat Kilkenny in Wexford Park. Long time since I thought that, but won 2 years ago and threw it away last year. Would not fear Kilkenny one bit. Nor will they fear Wexford. It'll be competitive, but I dont see Kilkenny challenging for an AI final place.

Fair enough.
    I do think they will be in a Semi final at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

bruschi wrote: »

Limerick and Galway look to be ahead of the rest at the moment, although Galways form is up and down and a few injuries may bring them back to the pack. All the other teams in my eyes are on a level playing field and if they show form at the right time will be in the mix. Kilkenny are up there but they need a fully fit squad and I don't think we know our best team yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kilkenny in an All Ireland but equally wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it out of Leinster!!

Neewollah wrote: »
    Limerick and Galway look to be ahead of the rest at the moment, although Galways form is up and down and a few injuries may bring them back to the pack. All the other teams in my eyes are on a level playing field and if they show form at the right time will be in the mix. Kilkenny are up there but they need a fully fit squad and I don't think we know our best team yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kilkenny in an All Ireland but equally wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it out of Leinster!!
    as a wexford supporter I'd agree totally with this, there's nothing between Dublin, wexford and kilkenny in my view, injuries could play a huge part, if Buckley isn't back that's a huge blow for yourselves. A missing TJ, Rory O'Connor or eoghan O'Donnell are gamechangers if any of those scenarios arise. As for galway not matter what happens we'll see the true value of canning either way.

with the new structure league is alot less relevant

If history mattered to current teams limerick wouldn'tbe champions

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Looking forward to this weekends games. Try to get to as many as possible across all grades. Impossible to call but I'll give it a try

Senior:

Rower V Danesfort - Poor performances from both in Round 1. Rower by 4 as they have more scope for improvement

Comer v Dicksboro - Comer were decent against Danesfort, Boro wasteful against GBC. Tight game but the Boro should just shade it

GBC V St Patricks - Ballyraggett had a great win in round 1 and GBC acquitted themselves well. Think GBC might get over the line here with suspensions and injuries catching up on Ballyraggett

Clara V Bridge - One of the games of the weekend. Both coming of good wins. Clara's win more impressive and with a few back from last year and revenge on their minds I think they will shade it

Village V M'Vat - From seeing both teams play in the 1st round of matches I think the Village will have too much here

Shamrocks V OLG - I think Shamrocks will still be a bit off their best and fancy OLG to turn them over here. Were moving well against Mullinavat

Intermediate:

St Lachtains V Glenmore - Strong win for Freshford last time out and disappointing draw for Glenmore. Still think Glenmore will have more scoring ability and will win here.

Carrickshock V Tullogher - Another close one. Hard to call either way so this one could be a draw

Tullaroan V Fenians - Tullaroan should have too much here for Fenians coming off a bad result against Freshford

St Martins V Lisdowney - Good win for St Martins the last day while Lisdowney will be disappointed in their result. Muckalee to make it 2 from 2

Callan V Dunnamaggin - Local Derby between the last 2 junior champs. Think Dunnamaggin have a little better balance and will come out on top in a close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 swengall

Senior:

Rower V Danesfort - never much between these teams, Rower's forwards that bit better with Fort without RH which could be the deciding factor

Comer v Dicksboro - Boro to win...more options...Conor Delaney's absence significant

GBC V St Patricks - GBC like Palmerstown, should be close...Ballyragget's better scoring power to get them over the line despite the tight pitch

Clara V Bridge - local derby, No love lost. Should be a big crowd. Expect fireworks...Clara for me.

Village V M'Vat - Great venue in Dunnamaggin, at least the Village lads now well familiar with travelling out the Kells Road! Village to avenge last year's heavy defeat with a bit to spare.

Shamrocks V OLG - live on TV.... OLG moving well, Shamrocks usually go well in Callan, wouldn't rule out a draw here

Intermediate:

St Lachtains V Glenmore - Glenmore to win, James Maher big loss to Freshford...Alan Murphy well into double figures

Carrickshock V Tullogher - Tullogher too seasoned for a Carrickshock in transition

Tullaroan V Fenians - Tullaroan should be too strong. Great venue!

St Martins V Lisdowney - Muckalee to win. Scoring power an issue for Lisdowney given a couple of notable absentees.

Callan V Dunnamaggin - Another local derby, Callan like these kinda games and should beat their country cousins. Should be lively in the Cosy Inn and local hostelries!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Is the Shamrocks v OLG on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Mick Fennelly on crutches and Darren Mullen listed as a substitute. Richie Hogan named as corner forward. Dicksboro beat Comer by a point, turning point was Comer full forward getting sent off on a second yellow. Kevin Kenny got 4 points, Bill Sheehan made a difference when he came on but not county material imo as he is too light. Cillain Buckley was at the match but not togged out. When Boro have Shane Stapleton, Cillian Buckley and a fully fit Sheehan, they will improve but they need to.

• Advertisement

I heard hogan wont play this weekend for the fort and also down a few others.
    Huw lawlor should be back for o loughlins tomor so im sure colin will test that injury.A good game here for huw could really put him in contention.
    Clara and the bridge will hopefuly be another good match both teams had good wins the last day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement