Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

KevIRL wrote: »
    Michael vearney said it on independent podcast

I like Michael but the chances are he seen it on somewhere like here.Someone said here the other day it's 50/50 between himself and Brennan and we know Darren missed the last few rounds of the league with injury .He also said bout wally maybe playing mid field.
    But no matter what way we look at it Murphy has being so good for us shot stopping and getting a few long range frees it's going to be a big loss.
    We hadn't Buckley for the league and Joey was club tied.Delaney is another big loss cause his comfortable at full back and on the half back line.James Maher was also coming into form.

1984baby wrote: »
    It’s not great, plenty of better places on John street to pick from

Billy Byrne's,burkes or o gormans should be buzzing Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Kil.v Dub.

D Brennan
    P Murphy P Deegan T Walsh
    E Morrissey H Lawlor C Fogarty
    P Walsh A Murphy
    A Mullen W Walsh TJ Reid
    B Ryan C Fennelly G Aylward .

Subs
    R Reid
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    M Carey
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Donnelly
    M Keoghan
    L Blanchfield
    B Sheehan
    G Malone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Dublin have a fair few injuries as well. Looking forward to travelling down, Brogans a good spot for a few pints beforehand?
    There's nowhere like The Worlds End.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

citykat wrote: »
    Dublin have a fair few injuries as well. Looking forward to travelling down, Brogans a good spot for a few pints beforehand?

Now that is some spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

laneykin wrote: »
    Kil.v Dub.

D Brennan
    P Walsh A Murphy
    A Mullen W Walsh TJ Reid

Subs
    R Reid
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    M Carey
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Donnelly
    M Keoghan
    L Blanchfield
    B Sheehan
    G Malone

Backs look a bit dodgy. Thought Cleere would get a start. Dublin will rack up a decent score against us for sure.

We will do well to get a win with that team.

Bill Sheehan & Keoghan lucky to make the bench. Neither look to have the strength or pace for this level.

It was touted last week that deegan was going to be 3 and Lawlor at 6 so not shocked with that.Alan Murphy is a surprise ahead of Leahy,Donnelly or blanch although these are better coming on.No Kevin Kelly or brassil on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Backs look a bit dodgy. Thought Cleere would get a start. Dublin will rack up a decent score against us for sure.

Bill Sheehan & Keoghan lucky to make the bench. Neither look to have the strength or pace for this level.

Keoghan is only 20/21, I wouldn't be in a rush to discard him just yet.

Decent forward line with some good options on the bench as well, wouldnt be too enthusiastic about the backs or midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

If Hue lawlor does his job at center back all the others are more than capable of holding both their own positions and their own men. I, for one have great faith in Hue Lawlor. When Limerick were skinning us in the under 21 final two years back he was the only Kilkenny player who won his position. He is an excellent reader of the game has speed and is a no nonsense type. Much more suited to center than full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kil.v Dub.

D Brennan
    P Walsh A Murphy
    A Mullen W Walsh TJ Reid

Subs
    R Reid
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    M Carey
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Donnelly
    M Keoghan
    L Blanchfield
    B Sheehan
    G Malone
    So championship debuts for Darren Brennan, Tommy Walsh, Huw Lawlor, Alan Murphy and Adrian Mullen? Blanchfield very unlucky not to start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

Kil.v Dub.

D Brennan
    P Walsh A Murphy
    A Mullen W Walsh TJ Reid

Subs
    R Reid
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    M Carey
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Donnelly
    M Keoghan
    L Blanchfield
    B Sheehan
    G Malone

Would I be correct in saying paddy deegan has never started at 3 and lawlor definitely has never played 6 for Kilkenny before? That to me is worrying. Mullen should add a scoring threat to forwards. Alan Murphy not good enough for midfield. Blanchfield very unlucky not to start given his excellent club form

If Hue lawlor does his job at center back all the others are more than capable of holding both their own positions and their own men. I, for one have great faith in Hue Lawlor. When Limerick were skinning us in the under 21 final two years back he was the only Kilkenny player who won his position. He is an excellent reader of the game has speed and is a no nonsense type. Much more suited to center than full back.

I agree with this I was also at that match and anytime I've seen him he has done well and obviously has shown up well in training.Sutcliffe and the other towards will try pull him out of the centre but I'm hoping we'll have out homework done and I hope he goes well.
    Big call from Cody going with deegan at 3 and not putting padraig back but padraig just gives us so much more in midfield going forward and tracking back.
    I'm happy to see Adrian Mullen start I hope it goes well for the chap he has great potential but this is a big step up.He'll have his 2 clubmen to help him.
    Darren Brennan was the obvious choice in goal he was very assured last year in the league.
    We must also be missing Kevin kelly and Darren Mullen who I thought might be included.Niall brassil was going well in the late stages of the league.
    Michael carey and ger Malone are surprise inclusions in the subs

Kkman00 wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying paddy deegan has never started at 3 and lawlor definitely has never played 6 for Kilkenny before? That to me is worrying. Mullen should add a scoring threat to forwards. Alan Murphy not good enough for midfield. Blanchfield very unlucky not to start given his excellent club form

Deegan played the last league relegation match and the practice match in cork at full back.Paddy mightnt be the most skillfull but he won't let us down for effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Surprised at Alan Murphy starting ahead of Leahy or Browne (or even Blanchfield) at midfield. I know Murphy did ok against Tipp in the league and works very hard, but would have had the others a good bit ahead of him, especially as TJ will likely be on the frees.

Also, I feel that Cleere offers more than either Morrissey or Tommy Walsh (that's not a slight on either of them, just feel Cleere could be an important player for many years).

That's a very good bench with Hogan (if fit), Browne, Leahy, Donnelly, Blanchfield, etc. There is real firepower there if things do go astray. Delighted to see Adrian Mullen in there, badly need what he brings.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Surprised at Alan Murphy started ahead of Leahy or Browne (or even Blanchfield) at midfield. I know Murphy did ok against Tipp in the league and works very hard, but would have had the others a good bit ahead of him, especially as TJ will likely be on the frees.

Also, I feel that Cleere offers more than either Morrissey or Tommy Walsh (that's not a slight on either of them, just feel Cleere could be an important player for many years).

That's a very good bench with Hogan (if fit), Browne, Leahy, Donnelly, Blanchfield, etc. There is real firepower there if things do go astray. Delighted to see Adrian Mullen in there, badly need what he brings.
    Dublins 2 corner towards are both lively especially dillion who is a livewire. tommy not blessed with pace so hopefully he can go well and doesn't give away silly frees

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

brookville wrote: »
    Deegan played the last league relegation match and the practice match in cork at full back.Paddy mightnt be the most skillfull but he won't let us down for effort.

I for one wouldn’t consider a glorified challenge man and an actual challenge match ideal experience for such a pivotal position like full back but we are short on options. I agree one thing you can never fault for deegan is effort but I’m afraid you need more than effort at this level. I hope I’m wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

citykat wrote: »
    Haha, been there alright

Kkman00 wrote: »
    I for one wouldn’t consider a glorified challenge man and an actual challenge match ideal experience for such a pivotal position like full back but we are short on options. I agree one thing you can never fault for deegan is effort but I’m afraid you need more than effort at this level. I hope I’m wrong though

I'm not disagreeing with u I'm only saying that's the only matches he played this year full back and plus it was only a half challenge match down in cork.
    I thought maybe huw might of being better at full back and maybe more suited to rushe but with Delaney and Joey out we are stretched.
    If we went back to padraig at 3 I'm sure we'd be all up in arms but I thought it would of being the safest option for this match anyway and hopefully have a few lads back in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Big match for Brian Cody with some of the selections. He plucked Pat Lyng for the Limerick game last year and was very poor, tried make our best player a full back last year then desserts it this year(when we need one more than ever)This was after the shambles on the line in Wexford Park the year before. Hopefully it works out out for him and the team tomorrow

Village87 wrote: »
    Big match for Brian Cody with some of the selections. He plucked Pat Lyng for the Limerick game last year and was very poor, tried make our best player a full back last year then desserts it this year(when we need one more than ever)This was after the shambles on the line in Wexford Park the year before. Hopefully it works out out for him and the team tomorrow
    No doubt pat lyng and Rob lennon backfired badly last year.after giving deegan the full league at 6 it is a strange one putting him back at 3 and putting a complete rookie at 6.I suppose we won't know till tomor evening if it was either a master plan or a disaster.The only thing is we look to have a free options in attack on the bench.
    The Dublin backs and midfielders will be very compact and their fowards will try pull us all over the place with possibly dillion and rushe inside.Hopefully we'll have out homework done.Its good to give youth it's chance it's the only way they will get experience.id like us to pull out aylward and maybe Colin and Billy inside.We really need a big game from Colin hopefully he is on his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kil.v Dub.

D Brennan
    P Walsh A Murphy
    A Mullen W Walsh TJ Reid

Subs
    R Reid
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    M Carey
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Donnelly
    M Keoghan
    L Blanchfield
    B Sheehan
    G Malone

Scratching my head at that one. BS is probably the fastest hurler on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Big win. Much better in the 2nd half.

Ref was terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Happy and relieved after that. Half time changes worked well so credit to Cody for that. Bug names like TJ and Padraig stood up when it counted. Also happy with lesser names like Tommy Walsh and Alan Murphy. Leahy's v good coming on again. Hopefully he can establish himself as a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭kksaints

Hard fought but deserved win for us. Much improved 2nd half performance, the mixing of puckouts worked very well. Prevented the Dublin backline from setting up for puckouts. TJ did fantastically in the 2nd half but it is worrying how over reliant we are on him for scores. Padraig Walsh was also immense and moving him to center back worked out great.

Ref was fussy but both teams were very niggedly off the ball. Ger Awlyward was lucky after the disallowed goal that the umpire/ref didn't view him charging into the defender as overly aggressive. The mentor getting in the way of the quick free has to be banned even if its just to prevent mentors doing the same thing in future matches.

Tommy Walsh was very impressive and done the basics very well.great experience for him.The switch with padraig going back changed the game.the ball into rushed dried up.Alan Murphy done very well and Mullen done ok for his first day out.tj just on a different level.we upped up big time but disappointed with the Dublin response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If we actually had a cohesive gameplan we could be a very good team but we're just relying on a ferocious work ethic and the talent of a handful of players.

Great 2nd half but the first half was a disaster and would worry about playing Wexford in Wexford Park like that. Tonight is not the time for worrying though.

TJ is God. And thankfully we've finally got PW back on the half back line.

Kilkenny were getting totally overrun in the first half but changing Huw Lawlor and Padraig Walsh worked well. Tommy Walsh, Huw Lawlor and Adrian Mullen should be happy with their first championship starts and should be around for a good few years. Ger Aylward maintained his recent decent form. Likely to see Padraig Walsh in the half back line the next day, Huw at full back, Paddy Deegan may lose out. Don't think anyone will be too worried about meeting KK but with 5 new championship starters, we have room for improvement.

A 32 point winning margin for the minors but Offaly with a few exceptions were poor. Liam Moore scored 1-7. I like William Halpin at full back,Billy Reid had some nice touches. Moylan at centre back lacks pace. Having seen the minors on 3 occasions, there is not a lot between Dublin, Wexford and ourselves. There was some signs today of improved decision making but we will have to improve a lot to go much further. Our ball control and hand passing must be better. I think one KK player was penalised 3 times for throwing the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Richie Hog

• Advertisement

The only thing about today is hopefully we can get over cw next weekend then a break we might be able to get a few lads back and maybe give Galway a good rattle at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement