Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

We will struggle big time against Wexford based on tonight's performance. Cody still hasn't learned any lessons. The game plan he sent out the team to play was stone age stuff. At least he changed it up in the second half. R. Hogan was poor when he came on. The moving of P. Walsh, and R. Leahy and TJs performances won the game for us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Thought we did ok considering the amount of lads injured. Padraig was outstanding. Hue lawler is not centre back material. Questions over Billy Ryan and Mullen looked nervous. But overall a good showing and it impressed me.

The Dublin selector is one greg Kennedy remember the butt of the hurl into Henry's helmet v Galway. It speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

kk.man wrote: »
    Thought we did ok considering the amount of lads injured. Padraig was outstanding. Hue lawler is not centre back material. Questions over Billy Ryan and Mullen looked nervous. But overall a good showing and it impressed me.

The Dublin selector is one greg Kennedy remember the butt of the hurl into Henry's helmet v Galway. It speaks volumes.
    Disappointed with Billy but for his first match Mullen was decent that was a big step up from club.I was also happy enough considering what we were missing in defence.I thought huw was lost at centre back.made a great catch in the 2nd half but the ball dried up into rushe and he tired badly.I don't know how rushe gets away with the charging but cathal macilister is a very poor ref anyway.Colin also could of being pulled for a nudge before one of our goals.Dublin and wexford could be a hum dinger next week but credit to our fitness today.We know we're a work in progress but isn't it grest to see tommy Walsh,Leahy,Alan Murphy,Adrian Mullen and Darren Brennan doing well.
    Surprised not to see blanch or Donnelly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

TJ Reid is still doing the work of 3 forwards. But at the end of the day if he is able to do it so be it.

Adrian Mullen will be a top class county hurler in 3 years, he has all the skills and attributes and obviously the Ballyhale blood helps too.

I think Wexford will beat Dublin next week and that would probably end Dublin’s championship and leave ourselves Galway and Wexford to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

kk.man wrote: »

As does Cody's turkey-faced reaction!! Think you're thinking of the Clare wing-back, are you not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Its the same Gregory Kennedy who saw red for an elbow on DJ in 2001. In any other sport he'd be banned for his interference and hopefully the authorities deal with his behaviour accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Neither of the Dublin penalties should have been awarded. They were worth 4 points the same as the Dublin half time lead. The awarding of the first penalty had an immense effect on the trend of the game for the duration of that first half and no analysis of the first half can ignore this fact Other than the one effort Dublin never looked like scoring a goal during the entire match testament to how well the Kilkenny backs were playing. Most of Kilkennys first half problems were self inflicted and most of those were caused by a poor puck our stratagy. TJ Reid said after the game they had intended to play a different way and had been sent out to play a different way but for some reason they failed to do so until they reached the half time dressing room.
    Going forward Kilkenny can be well pleased. Darren Brennan did very well in the second half when he began to play the short ball, Lesson learned not just by him but by all the players. Huw lawlor was immense in the 2nd half while Tommy Walsh was even better. To suggest Lawlor is well short of center back material is rubbish Lawlor with a bit more experience will make a great center back but for the rest of this championship it is more than likely he will be our full back. I remember the great Brian Hogan being dropped during his first championship season and Lawlor is every bit as good as Hogan. Padraigh will be our center back for the rest of the campaign. Alan Murphy is surprising a lot of people he kept us in the game in the first 20 minutes while Ritchie leahy was excellent when he came on.Adrian Mullen showed what he is capable of. These are all massive pluses for Kilkenny. Absolutely no ball went into Billy Ryan in the first half and little enough went into his corner in the second. This guy is well worth persevering with. TJ Colin Ger and Walter did what they do best they wont all star every day today it Was TJ tomorrow it can be any one of them. A very good days work by Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

MfMan wrote: »
    As does Cody's turkey-faced reaction!! Think you're thinking of the Clare wing-back, are you not?

How do you expect a manager to react to that situation? Cody's reaction shows why he has won so much in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Any word on Chris Crummey after his self inflicted whiplash? Shameful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Have to say kk impressed me last night in second half, I really did think they could fall in this game. There fitness was good and ball distribution in second half. Full value for their win on the night. I can’t see Dublin beating Wexford tbh. Leinster is open enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

All the good things about a cody team were there for all to see in the 2nd half.Intensity work rate passion the lot.tj walter colin and ger really took it to dublin with padraig outstanding.you would wonder however why huw lawalor didnt start full back.as for crummy shamefull stuff(watching to much premier league)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

brookville wrote: »
    Disappointed with Billy but for his first match Mullen was decent that was a big step up from club.I was also happy enough considering what we were missing in defence.I thought huw was lost at centre back.made a great catch in the 2nd half but the ball dried up into rushe and he tired badly.I don't know how rushe gets away with the charging but cathal macilister is a very poor ref anyway.Colin also could of being pulled for a nudge before one of our goals.Dublin and wexford could be a hum dinger next week but credit to our fitness today.We know we're a work in progress but isn't it grest to see tommy Walsh,Leahy,Alan Murphy,Adrian Mullen and Darren Brennan doing well.
    Surprised not to see blanch or Donnelly on.

Very hard on Billy very little ball if any went his way.
    This ref is just not up to intercounty standard shouldn't get another game.
    Blanch had a huge bandage on a finger so I presume he is injured. He was being prepared just at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

dubcat51 wrote: »
    All the good things about a cody team were there for all to see in the 2nd half.Intensity work rate passion the lot.tj walter colin and ger really took it to dublin with padraig outstanding.you would wonder however why huw lawalor didnt start full back.as for crummy shamefull stuff(watching to much premier league)

Yeah a bit of self belief came back after about 10 minutes of the second half. There was more cohesion and team play with lads running for the passes. Also the anticipation of the breaking ball. Padraig helped this also you could see Dublin getting tired. The scuffle between Walter and Crummy was an ongoing battle until Walter put him on his arse. Dublin are gone back they remind me of Galway 12 -15 more interested in the man than the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

dzer2 wrote: »
    dubcat51 wrote: »

Yeah a bit of self belief came back after about 10
    minutes of the second half. There was more cohesion and team play with lads running for the passes. Also the anticipation of the breaking ball. Padraig helped this also you could see Dublin getting tired. The scuffle between Walter and Crummy was an ongoing battle until Walter put him on his arse. Dublin are gone back they remind me of Galway 12 -15 more interested in the man than the ball.

Did Crummy just expect Walter to let him away with jabbing hurl in his back? Walter is a tough boyo and as you said it all stopped when Walter put him on his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Anyone know how long Conor Delaney and Joey Holden are going to be out for?

blackcard wrote: »

Buckley was hopefull to be back after the carlow match.Joey could be a few weeks with a hamstring.Hopefully we might see scruff,Maher and Delaney back in a few weeks.Tommy was excellent last night hopefully he can keep it going.I thought Paul was ropey enough last night but was better in the second half.I find it hard to believe we still have 3 players going for the one ball it happened a few times last night and Sutcliffe just stood back for the break.

Carlow lost by 1-18 to 1-24 against Galway in Pearce Stadium , I think we would have been happy with that result. No room for any complacency next week.

Carlow lost by 1-18 to 1-24 against Galway in Pearce Stadium , I think we would have been happy with that result. No room for any complacency next week.

Yea a great performance from our neighbours but it must be said daithi Burke and a few other big names not playing.Cooney and glynn probably come back into that Galway team but it'll be interesting to see how Galway go without joe.
    We shouldn't be complacent anyway it should be a great occasion for carlow welcoming us.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Is there a better forward line than Tipps when they hit top form?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Is there a better forward line than Tipps when they hit top form?
    When let play tipp are very good.cork are stulush but lack out and our defenders.on a seperate note I lloved the pass hogan gave back to tommy walsh last night pure class.

• Advertisement

Padraigs high catch then falling before getting up with the ball in hand and no one else knowing where it was was a great piece of skill.Hopefully we go with huw at 3 and padraig at 6 the next day.we must remember this was the first time this team played together as a team and we got better as the match went on hopefully we can stay improving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

MfMan wrote: »

The ref hadn't the balls to discipline him he dealt with it the same way as he did with the M Rice incident in the 2012 semi final.

brookville wrote: »

Buckley was hopefull to be back after the carlow match.Joey could be a few weeks with a hamstring.Hopefully we might see scruff,Maher and Delaney back in a few weeks.Tommy was excellent last night hopefully he can keep it going.I thought Paul was ropey enough last night but was better in the second half.I find it hard to believe we still have 3 players going for the one ball it happened a few times last night and Sutcliffe just stood back for the break.
    If Joey Holden and Conor Delaney were available, I think Paddy Deegan would lose his place with possibly Paul Murphy under pressure too. I can't see Cillian Buckley being ready for a while yet, he has no hurling done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I think Deegan is one of Codys generals on the field and won't be dropped. Cody has his favourites and lads he trusts on the field and Deegan is one of them. To be fair he's one of the lads on the field who does a lot of talking organising lads around him

I think Deegan is one of Codys generals on the field and won't be dropped. Cody has his favourites and lads he trusts on the field and Deegan is one of them. To be fair he's one of the lads on the field who does a lot of talking organising lads around him
    He might have done a lot of talking yesterday, he didn't do a lot of hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

He might have done a lot of talking yesterday, he didn't do a lot of hurling

Can’t see a place for Deegan on a full Kilkenny team. Very slow in possession, only surviving at championship level.

Village87 wrote: »
    Can’t see a place for Deegan on a full Kilkenny team. Very slow in possession, only surviving at championship level.

Must be said fogarty played his best game in a long time.tommy was excellent and padraig in the second half.i was happy Cody left Mullen on I thought he done ok and will hopefully get better.Ger finished well.
    kevin Kelly has a rib injury,brassil concussion and scanlon hamstring.

If Joey Holden and Conor Delaney were available, I think Paddy Deegan would lose his place with possibly Paul Murphy under pressure too. I can't see Cillian Buckley being ready for a while yet, he has no hurling done.

See Delany still had the boot on the foot last night, James Maher was sitting in front of me last night he hoping to be back the next couple of weeks.

It was good to see players been blown for taking more than the legal amount of steps and barging yesterday, Saturday night liam rushe took eight steps with ball in hand the hurl up barging for the penalties they got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I have to say that the Dublin approach was one of cynical hurling and very unsporting. The ref along with his officials contributed to it by not taking charge of the game. How come everybody else at the match can see the off the ball stuff, faking injuries, constant running onto the pitch by team officials and so on, but officials can't see it?

Speaking of unsporting carry on, a Dublin player stamped the ball into the ground while TJ was waiting to take the penalty. TJ was constantly harassed when taking frees and not one was brought forward by the ref.

I have nothing against Dublin but should they continue with their unsporting acts I hope the lard is beaten out of them in the remaining matches. I also hope the ref and Greg Kennedy get reprimanded.

Well done Kilkenny on winning. It was so necessary to get the win as otherwise we'd be struggling to make the top three. The players ought to take great confidence from defeating the Dubs as we scraped over them last year, which we keep being reminded of!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement