Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

Joe Daly wrote: »
    It was good to see players been blown for taking more than the legal amount of steps and barging yesterday, Saturday night liam rushe took eight steps with ball in hand the hurl up barging for the penalties they got.

Agreed, likewise with TJ's 9 steps at the start of his move for his goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Rochelle wrote: »

You really should go read the rule book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

You really should go read the rule book

85 posts in 10 yrs top contributor there

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Important win for us at the weekend an inspired second half with a lot of positives to build on. Dublin are just a terrible team to play against and a win for them against next week puts them back in it. I thought we played much smarter than last year with the half forward line playing much deeper. Mullen tj and Wally all took up great positions in attacking and defense and are all very good at delivering ball in and all well capable of a score. Great to see Mullen go alright could have had a few more points but he showed his strength putting a few dubs on their backsides.

Tj was brilliant once again but that kind of performance is expected from him which speaks volumes about how good he is. His goal was brilliant the Paudie Walsh catch to the 1 2 with Colin before finishing it. Walsh was very impressive center back and same with lawor full back.

Deegan and Murphy struggled but Tommy Walsh and fogerty went well as did Alan Murphy and Leahy. Thought Colin did well again won a lot of frees and set up a few scores and should have had a goal. Aylward looked sharp and up for it but his striking and decision making let him down at times but still a decent showing. Ryan or Hogan didn’t get much ball.

Great atmosphere at the match and great to see the kk lads show that fight and spirt again. We’ve great squad depth so everyone will be kept on their toes and even with our injuries Donnelly or Blanch weren’t used. Its a performance that we can take confidence from and improve on. The players shouldn’t take Carlow lightly and should be able to win which would set us up nicely for the game against Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

The_Ghost wrote: »
    Important win for us at the weekend an inspired second half with a lot of positives to build on. Dublin are just a terrible team to play against and a win for them against next week puts them back in it. I thought we played much smarter than last year with the half forward line playing much deeper. Mullen tj and Wally all took up great positions in attacking and defense and are all very good at delivering ball in and all well capable of a score. Great to see Mullen go alright could have had a few more points but he showed his strength putting a few dubs on their backsides.

Tj was brilliant once again but that kind of performance is expected from him which speaks volumes about how good he is. His goal was brilliant the Paudie Walsh catch to the 1 2 with Colin before finishing it. Walsh was very impressive center back and same with lawor full back.

Deegan and Murphy struggled but Tommy Walsh and fogerty went well as did Alan Murphy and Leahy. Thought Colin did well again won a lot of frees and set up a few scores and should have had a goal. Aylward looked sharp and up for it but his striking and decision making let him down at times but still a decent showing. Ryan or Hogan didn’t get much ball.

Great atmosphere at the match and great to see the kk lads show that fight and spirt again. We’ve great squad depth so everyone will be kept on their toes and even with our injuries Donnelly or Blanch weren’t used. Its a performance that we can take confidence from and improve on. The players shouldn’t take Carlow lightly and should be able to win which would set us up nicely for the game against Galway.

The over reliance on TJ Saturday night was frightening. How many turnovers did TJ get in. How many rucks did he come out with the ball, How many passes did he provide that forced a free in or a score, how many times was he fouled for a free, the man is nearly involved in every score Kilkenny provide, his workrate and efficiency at the highest level is nearly a miracle. Some going for a player nearly 32. I would love to see TJ full forward at times during these championship matches as a he would cause havoc but Kilkenny cannot do without him in the half forward. He does the job of 2 men. Im sure other managers around the country have noticed this especially Davy Fitz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Village87 wrote: »
    The over reliance on TJ Saturday night was frightening. How many turnovers did TJ get in. How many rucks did he come out with the ball, How many passes did he provide that forced a free in or a score, how many times was he fouled for a free, the man is nearly involved in every score Kilkenny provide, his workrate and efficiency at the highest level is nearly a miracle. Some going for a player nearly 32. I would love to see TJ full forward at times during these championship matches as a he would cause havoc but Kilkenny cannot do without him in the half forward. He does the job of 2 men. Im sure other managers around the country have noticed this especially Davy Fitz.

It's almost comical how he comes out of 'rucks' with the ball in hand at times, surely the best player in the game in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

No need for your last 3 words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Rochelle wrote: »

He scored two he had a man on him all night that was not interested in hurling the man was his target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Saddened to hear the death of podge butler.A gentle man and a great Kilkenny man.RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hurleyrebel

Corkman here.

Very impressive second half display by KK last Saturday night, was seriously impressed with the strength in depth, considering all of the injuries. In spite of this, I think yee are still being written off for the AI.

Looking far, far ahead, how many of the injured players do you think would be back in contention, once the provincial c'ship has finished?

Fair play to T.J Reid, what a man, player and leader. Better get him wrapped up in cotton wool from here on in though, are yee are doomed! :)

Hope that ref doesn't get another game this year, he was atrocious for both sides but worse for KK. He could quite easily have cost yee the game but thankfully he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

It wasn't as if TJ wasn't targeted by Dublin. Anybody at the match could plainly see the Dublin tactic. TJ took them on and hurt them where it mattered, on the scoreboard. Thought bringing on Richie Hogan aided TJ as Hogan never stopped moving around and thus keeping his opponents busy. Billy Ryan needs to act similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Grats wrote: »
    If wasn't as if TJ wasn't targeted by Dublin. Anybody at the match could plainly see the Dublin tactic. TJ took them on and hurt them where it mattered, on the scoreboard. Thought bringing on Richie Hogan aided TJ as Hogan never stopped moving around and thus keeping his opponents busy. Billy Ryan needs to act similarly.

True about Billy, great player, great potential but needs advice about when and where to roam when the play is not coming his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

I would expect the same starting line up in the forwards with Alan Murphy and Richie Leahy in midfield. Padraig Walsh and Jason Cleere replacing Deegan and Enda Morrissey in the backs

Maurice Walsh took some good photos of the kilkenny v Dublin in the park its interesting to see the incident between Wally and Barret.

The death took place of the wife of John Marnell great servant of kilkenny gaa , Boro, gaa club rip .

blackcard wrote: »
    I would expect the same starting line up in the forwards with Alan Murphy and Richie Leahy in midfield. Padraig Walsh and Jason Cleere replacing Deegan and Enda Morrissey in the backs

There will probably be a few changes this weekend but knowing Cody as we do cw certainly won't be taking for granted and they put up a great show yesterday and it's great to see.This is the best cw team in years and they would be first to tell you that playing in our league has improved them.Managers like tom coogan,eamon kennedy,anthony McCormack,Brendan fennelly,pj delaney have all spent time down there.
    Cody said most of the injured lads won't be back that probably includes Kevin Kelly,scanlon and brassil.
    Lawlor and padraig should anchor 3 and 6.we could probably see someone for Morrissey id like to see Browne get a run.
    Alan Murphy started very well but faded but I was impressed with him.Leahy like last year done brilliant coming on and like Donnelly and blanch is better coming on while still finding their feet at this level.
    Mullen will hopefully stay improving I was delighted Cody left him on
    Just wondering did any season ticket holders get a email bout the match next weekend?Mine says that it's for the terrace.whats the size of their stand or how many season ticket holders would we have?doubt that carlow have that many,disappointing season tickets are standing I know they can't accamodate everyone but this is the first time I've being told to stand.Wont be ideal on older people expected to stand for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

The only tickets available on the GAA website are terrace too, are they trying to sell them first maybe? I for one wont be going unless I can sit and before anyone says anything it's a medical reason :) I see Carlow v Westmeath minors are on beforehand too

Comerman wrote: »
    The only tickets available on the GAA website are terrace too, are they trying to sell them first maybe? I for one wont be going unless I can sit and before anyone says anything it's a medical reason :) I see Carlow v Westmeath minors are on beforehand too

I thought Season tickets get priority and I'm not sure bout all but some have being offered standing tickets.i didn't think the stand was that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Actually think Greg Kennedy did Dublin harm in that incident on Saturday. If a goal chance developed ref would have blown it back as he wasn't watching the play and it seemed to rile kk supporters and cody up. He's the worst ref of a bad lot and has been for a long time. Rushe has been getting away with the nonsense for the 2 penalties for years

Fairness to ye you looked vunerable before the game but you're pivots stood up when it counted.ourselves and Dublin is going to be ferocious next Sunday. Think it's 50/50, hearing our training is going well but in fairness to does anyone ever say training is going terribly

Should be a great occasion in Carlow next Sunday, their first home game in the championship since ???. They were extremely unlucky not to beat us around 2012/2013 at U21, a team whi

• Advertisement

Should be a great occasion in Carlow next Sunday, their first home game in the championship since ???. They were extremely unlucky not to beat us around 2012/2013 at U21, a team which included Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley and John Power. Good manager in Colm Bonnar and drew with Galway in the league, Mount Leinster Rangers have done very well in the AI club championship,

Actually think Greg Kennedy did Dublin harm in that incident on Saturday. If a goal chance developed ref would have blown it back as he wasn't watching the play and it seemed to rile kk supporters and cody up. He's the worst ref of a bad lot and has been for a long time. Rushe has been getting away with the nonsense for the 2 penalties for years

Fairness to ye you looked vunerable before the game but you're pivots stood up when it counted.ourselves and Dublin is going to be ferocious next Sunday. Think it's 50/50, hearing our training is going well but in fairness to does anyone ever say training is going terribly

I think kk were starting to get to grips with Dublin before half time but if Paul Ryan had to score his goal or Moran the other penalty things could of being different grsnted that penalty was a terrible call.rushe takes a load of steps and definitley barges but in fairness to Cody he did change things around at half time.full back,centre back and Leahy gave us pace going foward .Brennan went short more often.
    Dublin v wex should be a cracker pity it's not on tv.this could finish Dublin for the year so they'll probably throw the kitchen sink at wexford but rushe looked in pain leaving with an ankle injury and keaney looked a good bit off when he came on but Dublin are very difficult at home.Its also a big year for Davey.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Podge has passed away .some servent to Kilkenny hurling. Rip

blackcard wrote: »
    Should be a great occasion in Carlow next Sunday, their first home game in the championship since ???. They were extremely unlucky not to beat us around 2012/2013 at U21, a team which included Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley and John Power. Good manager in Colm Bonnar and drew with Galway in the league, Mount Leinster Rangers have done very well in the AI club championship,
    I was at that u21 match Buckley and them weren't playing.bolger was injured that night.deegan,James Maher,Conor martin,Dirmuid cody were playing we were very lucky that night got hammered against wexford the next day and Brian Ryan stepped down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

brookville wrote: »
    I think kk were starting to get to grips with Dublin before half time but if Paul Ryan had to score his goal or Moran the other penalty things could of being different grsnted that penalty was a terrible call.rushe takes a load of steps and definitley barges but in fairness to Cody he did change things around at half time.full back,centre back and Leahy gave us pace going foward .Brennan went short more often.
    Dublin v wex should be a cracker pity it's not on tv.this could finish Dublin for the year so they'll probably throw the kitchen sink at wexford but rushe looked in pain leaving with an ankle injury and keaney looked a good bit off when he came on but Dublin are very difficult at home.Its also a big year for Davey.
    Oh yeah not disputing those facts the changes at half time were huge but for me the biggest change was your intensity levels which Dublin couldn't cope with once you ranched these up ye butchered them in the middle 3rd in the 2nd half.the Kennedy incident was actually sort of funny a bit of a what happened next moment on a question of sport.
    If rushe is playing him and liam Ryan is a huge dual, if keaney is playing similarly him and Mattew o'Hanlon,think he would suit o'Hanlon who prefers a physical battle has done well on Walter Walsh on a few occasions. Think the battle between Dublin's half back line and our half forward line could decide the outcome. We'll have chin, rory o'connor and probably liam og McGovern there

Has anyone any clue what's the story with the tickets? According to Leinster gaa stand tickets are available at €20 but there's no option to buy them on gaa.ie or tickets.ie
    It was the same sh! te last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

brookville wrote: »

Just wondering did any season ticket holders get a email bout the match next weekend?Mine says that it's for the terrace.whats the size of their stand or how many season ticket holders would we have?doubt that carlow have that many,disappointing season tickets are standing I know they can't accamodate everyone but this is the first time I've being told to stand.Wont be ideal on older people expected to stand for a few hours.

I got an email saying we’re on the terrace too. I emailed season tickets to ask why and they said the stand in Dr. Cullen Park doesn’t have the capacity to seat season ticket holders.
    Total capacity of the stadium is 21,000 and it’s a decent sized stand so failing to see how that’s the case.
    And even so could they not just allow everyone in and first in go to the stand and once it’s full the rest go on the terrace? Same as they do in Wexford park.

laneykin wrote: »
    I got an email saying we’re on the terrace too. I emailed season tickets to ask why and they said the stand in Dr. Cullen Park doesn’t have the capacity to seat season ticket holders.
    Total capacity of the stadium is 21,000 and it’s a decent sized stand so failing to see how that’s the case.
    And even so could they not just allow everyone in and first in go to the stand and once it’s full the rest go on the terrace? Same as they do in Wexford park.
    So if you buy a season ticket you're less likely to be seated??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭kksaints

laneykin wrote: »

The total capacity of Dr Cullen is nowhere near that. 10,000 maximum, possibly around 8,500. The main stand is very small.

Edit: 11,000 according to this but even so that would be a uncomfortable squeeze.

www.hoganstand.com/article/index/231325

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    The total capacity of Dr Cullen is nowhere near that. 10,000 maximum, possibly around 8,500. The main stand is very small.

Edit: 11,000 according to this but even so that would be a uncomfortable squeeze.

www.hoganstand.com/article/index/231325

Yea I'd be shocked if it was 21 thousand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement