Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Wasn't it reduced a few years back over safety or something? Still doesn't explain why tickets aren't available though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

brookville wrote: »
    Yea I'd be shocked if it was 21 thousand.
    no way it holds 21k, sure that would be around the same as nowlan park

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

kksaints wrote: »
    The total capacity of Dr Cullen is nowhere near that. 10,000 maximum, possibly around 8,500. The main stand is very small.

Edit: 11,000 according to this but even so that would be a uncomfortable squeeze.

www.hoganstand.com/article/index/231325

Ah I was taking that from the Wiki page on it. Should have known better than to trust Wikipedia!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Cullen_Park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

no way it holds 21k, sure that would be around the same as nowlan park

Nowlan park just shy of 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

blackcard wrote: »
    Should be a great occasion in Carlow next Sunday, their first home game in the championship since ???. They were extremely unlucky not to beat us around 2012/2013 at U21, a team which included Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley and John Power. Good manager in Colm Bonnar and drew with Galway in the league, Mount Leinster Rangers have done very well in the AI club championship,

Just checked that out.... P Walsh, C Buckley, J Power nor Kilkenny played Carlow in 2012or 2013:)

BORD GAIS ENERGY LEINSTER UNDER 21 HC 2012
    6th June – Laois (2-15) Dublin (0-17)
    6th June – Wexford (1-19) Offaly (0-10)
    20th June – Kilkenny (3-20) Wexford (4-06)
    20th June – Laois (0-15) Carlow (0-14)
    11th July – Kilkenny (4-24) Laois (1-13)

BORD GAIS ENERGY LEINSTER GAA UNDER 21 H.C.2013
    2nd June – Wexford (1-15) Westmeath (1-10)
    5th June – Offaly (2-16) Laois (2-15)
    11th June – Carlow (1-13) Dublin (1-11)
    26th June – Wexford (1-12) Carlow (0-09)
    26th June – Kilkenny (1-19) Offaly (1-13)
    10th July – Wexford (1-21) Kilkenny (0-21) AET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Just checked that out.... P Walsh, C Buckley, J Power nor Kilkenny played Carlow in 2012or 2013:)

BORD GAIS ENERGY LEINSTER UNDER 21 HC 2012
    6th June – Laois (2-15) Dublin (0-17)
    6th June – Wexford (1-19) Offaly (0-10)
    20th June – Kilkenny (3-20) Wexford (4-06)
    20th June – Laois (0-15) Carlow (0-14)
    11th July – Kilkenny (4-24) Laois (1-13)

BORD GAIS ENERGY LEINSTER GAA UNDER 21 H.C.2013
    2nd June – Wexford (1-15) Westmeath (1-10)
    5th June – Offaly (2-16) Laois (2-15)
    11th June – Carlow (1-13) Dublin (1-11)
    26th June – Wexford (1-12) Carlow (0-09)
    26th June – Kilkenny (1-19) Offaly (1-13)
    10th July – Wexford (1-21) Kilkenny (0-21) AET
    2015 was the correct year

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

2015 was the correct year

Was at that game myself and a kk team that included in its starting 15..... D Brennan, C Delaney, Deegan, C Martin, J Maher and L Blanchfield struggled to a 2 point victory over a dogged Carlow team. We were also very fortunate to get some favourable dubious calls from the referee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Noddy33 wrote:
    Was at that game myself and a kk team that included in its starting 15..... D Brennan, C Delaney, Deegan, C Martin, J Maher and L Blanchfield struggled to a 2 point victory over a dogged Carlow team. We were also very fortunate to get some favourable dubious calls from the referee too.

Ref was scandalous that day! We were confident of an upset but needed everything to go our way. Bit like this coming Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I was seriously worried 25mins into last Saturday, really angry at half time and very happy with the second half at the weekend. The changes made were probably the way I would have preferred to see the team line up, particularly Huw Lawlor at FB and P Walsh on the HB line somewhere. I heard Buckley completed a final 2 week excercise program on Friday and was to be back hurling on Sunday, so hopefully that goes well for him and that he's an option from the bench against Carlow, he will almost definitely play for the Boro if the club games go ahead. While Cody can't take the Carlow game lightly as Galway found out in the league, I still think there will and should be a bit of squad roatation for the next match to keep lads fresh for Galway and Wexford down the road. I would like to see something like:
    D Brennan
    P Murphy, H Lawlor, T Walsh
    J Cleere, P Walsh, E Morrissey
    A Murphy, R Leahy
    A Mullen, R Hogan, J Donnelly
    G Aylward, L Blanchfield, B Ryan

The full backline of the second half needs another game to start to gel.
    The half backline, I'd let Fogarty stay fresh and give Enda another try. Padraig has to stay CB for the rest of the year (Buckley can go midfield or left wing back when he comes back personally I'd love to see him midfield).
    Alan Murphy surprised me on Saturday I was worried about him and he definitely deserves another shot at MF, I'd try Leahy from the start I know he is very good off the bench but I think that is because he's not strong enough yet to compete with lads from the start of a match but should be given this chance to prove people like me wrong.
    Mullen needs more games, Richie needs more game time, Donnelly to be given a go
    Aylward needs more games to up the confidence, Blanchfield deserves a game with his club form, Billy needs another run

That leaves a nice bench of
    R Reid
    M Carey
    P Deegan
    C Fogarty
    C Browne
    TJ Reid
    W Walsh
    C Fennelly
    M Keoghan
    B Sheehan
    C Buckley (if ready)
    G Malone

By the way I know Cody won't do anything like this but thats what I'd like to see.

If we underestimate Carlow in anyway or go in half cocked I can see it turning nasty for us. Carlow have been relishing the thoughts of having us come to their back yard since this draw was made and any Carlow people I know were talking about the Kilkenny game not their first one with Galway. They will be seriously amped up for it and will have a serious cut off us and we need to be ready for that intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Fingers crossed for C Buckley, thanks for update.

Regards the team for the Carlow match - I'd prefer to get some consistency going. Players need every opportunity to get to know what's expected from them and to get used to playing alongside each other. We had change after change from match to match throughout the league. It's time to settle the team now. I wouldn't object to trying Cleere or Browne in place of Deegan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I heard at the boro v comer match that they were hopeful to have him back for the next round which is only next week so good to hear things went well..Just looking at bill sheehan getting the team photo taken he has filled out a nice bit since last year.
    On the carlow game id expect them to give us a good rattle at home in front of a large crowd.I don't think we will be complacent anyway.
    We didn't seem to pick up any serious injuries but it would be nice to see a few changes blanchfield,Donnelly or Browne.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Look lads no disrespect to Carlow, but, if we can't put up a big score against Carlow then we can forget about it. If Tipp can score 2.28 against Cork then surely we can get more against Carlow. These are the type of teams that we use to devour, now we are talking about just coming away with a close win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

mullinr2 wrote:
    Look lads no disrespect to Carlow, but, if we can't put up a big score against Carlow then we can forget about it. If Tipp can score 2.28 against Cork then surely we can get more against Carlow. These are the type of teams that we use to devour, now we are talking about just coming away with a close win

Teams are better prepared now than in previous eras. It's a huge day for hurling people in Carlow. We've a hard working tightly knit squad that will fight hard. Obviously we we're not expected to be close to Kilkenny at the final whistle but part of me is hoping if we can learn a bit from the Galway game and tighten up in defence we can keep ye honest. (and keep it below 2-28!)

Emailed Carlow gaa about the tickets and this was the response
    "We are selling them here in the office, between 10 & 2, today, tomorrow and Friday"

Comerman wrote: »
    "We are selling them here in the office, between 10 & 2, today, tomorrow and Friday"

Selling terrace is it?

Just looking at bill sheehan getting the team photo taken he has filled out a nice bit since last year.

Yeah Bill is another year older and has definitely filled out and he was good in the Comer game for a lad who was just back from injury. I'd be more confident of him being able to hold his own at intercounty level this year, if he gets a game. He needs a bit more hurling to get back to the pace of it but I think he will actually fill out a bit more in the next year or two, he has the frame for it. While he'll never be tall, his speed, deftness of touch and hard work will make him a challenge for defenders. If he's smart he'll use his size like Shane O'Donnell from Clare does to draw head high challenges winning frees, eventually they stop conceding the frees and then your free to go for goal.

I think it would be great if we scored 2-28 against Carlow but Galway couldn't in their own back yard, why should we be able to score more in Carlows home ground? I'm confident we can win if we are completely focused on this game and not complacent in any way. However the margin, I'm a bit more relaxed about, a win is a win and the teams performance is what I'll be more focused on. I think our forwards looked far more comfortable on Saturday than they did at any point last year and the scores came easier. Anyone who think Carlow aren't capable of sticking it to us obviously hasn't been paying attention for the last few years. I was at the Joe McDonagh final and they play a really nice brand of hurling. We should have too much for them in the end but if we came away with 26 to 28 points I'd be happy with that scoring. It's up to the defense to make sure that there is a nice margin if the forwards score 26-28.

Selling terrace is it?
    Sorry Brookville, selling stand tickets, terrace can be got online or super value

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

I was seriously worried 25mins into last Saturday, really angry at half time and very happy with the second half at the weekend. The changes made were probably the way I would have preferred to see the team line up, particularly Huw Lawlor at FB and P Walsh on the HB line somewhere. I heard Buckley completed a final 2 week excercise program on Friday and was to be back hurling on Sunday, so hopefully that goes well for him and that he's an option from the bench against Carlow, he will almost definitely play for the Boro if the club games go ahead. While Cody can't take the Carlow game lightly as Galway found out in the league, I still think there will and should be a bit of squad roatation for the next match to keep lads fresh for Galway and Wexford down the road. I would like to see something like:
    D Brennan
    P Murphy, H Lawlor, T Walsh
    J Cleere, P Walsh, E Morrissey
    A Murphy, R Leahy
    A Mullen, R Hogan, J Donnelly
    G Aylward, L Blanchfield, B Ryan

The full backline of the second half needs another game to start to gel.
    The half backline, I'd let Fogarty stay fresh and give Enda another try. Padraig has to stay CB for the rest of the year (Buckley can go midfield or left wing back when he comes back personally I'd love to see him midfield).
    Alan Murphy surprised me on Saturday I was worried about him and he definitely deserves another shot at MF, I'd try Leahy from the start I know he is very good off the bench but I think that is because he's not strong enough yet to compete with lads from the start of a match but should be given this chance to prove people like me wrong.
    Mullen needs more games, Richie needs more game time, Donnelly to be given a go
    Aylward needs more games to up the confidence, Blanchfield deserves a game with his club form, Billy needs another run

That leaves a nice bench of
    R Reid
    M Carey
    P Deegan
    C Fogarty
    C Browne
    TJ Reid
    W Walsh
    C Fennelly
    M Keoghan
    B Sheehan
    C Buckley (if ready)
    G Malone

By the way I know Cody won't do anything like this but thats what I'd like to see.

If we underestimate Carlow in anyway or go in half cocked I can see it turning nasty for us. Carlow have been relishing the thoughts of having us come to their back yard since this draw was made and any Carlow people I know were talking about the Kilkenny game not their first one with Galway. They will be seriously amped up for it and will have a serious cut off us and we need to be ready for that intensity.

And picking a team without C.Fogarty, TJ Reid, Walter, Colin would be underestimating Carlow, in my opinion. Agree, rotation would be nice but need to be careful

And picking a team without C.Fogarty, TJ Reid, Walter, Colin would be underestimating Carlow, in my opinion. Agree, rotation would be nice but need to be careful

I don't disagree with you, that it can seem that I'm underestimating Carlow but It's more about the young lads being given a chance. They veterans would be on the bench and with a club game coming on the Tuesday or Wednesday after this match I would prefer not to risk season ending injuries with these players. Contrary to the thoughts of many, playing lots of games is not an issue, it's the lack of rest/recovery which is the major cause of injuries and in an amateur sport where lads have work the next day, rest and recovery is the problem not loads of games. The rest and recovery is harder when you get older so thats why I said to rest Colin, TJ and Fogarty. I originally had Wally in my starting team but changed him out of the line up in favour of giving Donnelly a chance to prove himself. My team was more about giving the younger lads a chance to prove themselves while the team would have the security of having the veterans ready to come in if the younger lads couldn't handle this level. To be honest it's more an issue with the county board fitting in another game the week after (which the clubs desperately need by the way) than disrespecting Carlow from my point of view anyway.

Either way I don't think Cody will pick the team in that way. I would say it will be virtually identical to the last day with at most 2 changes but unlikely I expect to see the team named as this

Brennan
    Murphy Lawlor Walsh
    Deegan Walsh Fogarty
    Murphy Leahy
    Mullen TJ Walsh
    Aylward Fennelly AN Other
    The last spot will probably go to B Ryan but Donnelly, Blanchfield or Mossy could scrap in there either. The only other possible change that might be made would be Morrissey or Cleere for Deegan but I don't think that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

It's almost comical how he comes out of 'rucks' with the ball in hand at times, surely the best player in the game in that situation.

Unreal player who consistently delivers on the big stage.

So hard to be a consistent 9 out of 10 in every game.

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Should be a great occasion in Carlow next Sunday, their first home game in the championship since ???. They were extremely unlucky not to beat us around 2012/2013 at U21, a team whi

Carlow going well - only downside is their disclipline. They need to keep 15 on the park for the full game.

mullinr2 wrote: »

I think it all depends on the day. Most important is to get win - good performance also important.

Be good to use game, if well in control, to rotate and finish with a strong team. Competition for places must be paramount - it drives the whole panel on.

Get the win, we'll be on 4pts. That's what's required.

Comerman wrote: »

I would of thought season ticket holders get the chance to get the stand tickets before putting them on public sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Fair play to the Kilkenny County Board for running 2 rounds of club hurling in April and for scheduling another round in the 3 week gap between our matches against Carlow and Galway. However, it is shocking that the club matches are to be played 2/3 days after the Carlow match and is unfair to players, clubs and supporters. You will have a greater risk of injuries to players, players will not have recovered sufficiently after playing for the county. Clubs are dependent on any county player they have to try and keep out of the relegation battle. Supporters will only be able to attend one match on each evening. I see no reason why the matches couldn't be scheduled for the weekend which would give players 6/7 days between matches but still leave 2 weeks to prepare for the Galway match. A competitive club match would be better than any training session with the county. Rant over.

I would of thought season ticket holders get the chance to get the stand tickets before putting them on public sale.
    Maybe they're saving the seating for the Carlow fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

It is important for Kilkenny to field the very strongest team possible. It is important Kilkenny be prepared to go with the selected fifteen for the duration of the game and only make substitutions when and if absolutely necessary and a five, ten or fifteen point lead is not sufficient reason however a five point deficit would most definitely be a reason. The team that finished last Sunday with the exception being the retention of Billy Ryan have to learn to play together, to understand the puck out strategy, to recognize team mates strengths and weakness. If there are going to be changes hopefully they will be kept to an absolute minimum.The only thing that matters Sunday is a win and nothing less will suffice for Kilkenny to advance encase of slip ups against Galway and Wexford. It is not the time for experimenting and that includes makes changes for the sake of making changes before or during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

It is important for Kilkenny to field the very strongest team possible. It is important Kilkenny be prepared to go with the selected fifteen for the duration of the game and only make substitutions when and if absolutely necessary and a five, ten or fifteen point lead is not sufficient reason however a five point deficit would most definitely be a reason. The team that finished last Sunday with the exception being the retention of Billy Ryan have to learn to play together, to understand the puck out strategy, to recognize team mates strengths and weakness. If there are going to be changes hopefully they will be kept to an absolute minimum.The only thing that matters Sunday is a win and nothing less will suffice for Kilkenny to advance encase of slip ups against Galway and Wexford. It is not the time for experimenting and that includes makes changes for the sake of making changes before or during the game.

I agree entirely. We experimented enough during the League. We're down a few players through injury so let's stick with what we sent out last week and get some momentum going.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭red_diesel

Podge has passed away .some servent to Kilkenny hurling. Rip

What a servant Podge was to Kilkenny GAA. Brings back some memories. RIP Podge.

mullinr2 wrote: »

I know a few carlow lads who know their stuff and this is a game that was marked out since the draw was first made.Carlow have made great strides and put in huge work and with only 4 senior club it's a credit to all involved.I know lads who wouldn't usually go to a match that are going and will bring their kids and hopefully inspire a generation looking at tj reid behind the fence.Colm bonner is a proven manager and I've no doubt mouse kavanagh would make a lot of county teams so as someone else if we go down half bothered and thinking bout club games next week this could get ugly.
    Our lads have the advantage of playing Fitzgibbon for it carlow and mick Dempsey involved so it won't be a surprise how good james Doyle or mouse can be.
    Carlow won't be taken for granted and I fully expect carlow to give a very good account.
    We like always will play our strongest team available although we don't know what kinda knocks we have it would be nice to see a little squad rotation.Wally picked up a knock last week he might be given time to recover.
    Brennan
    Murphy,Lawlor,tommy
    Cleere,padraig,fogarty
    Murphy,browne
    Donnelly,tj,mullen
    Blanchfield,colin,ger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

I know a few carlow lads who know their stuff and this is a game that was marked out since the draw was first made.Carlow have made great strides and put in huge work and with only 4 senior club it's a credit to all involved.I know lads who wouldn't usually go to a match that are going and will bring their kids and hopefully inspire a generation looking at tj reid behind the fence.Colm bonner is a proven manager and I've no doubt mouse kavanagh would make a lot of county teams so as someone else if we go down half bothered and thinking bout club games next week this could get ugly.
    Our lads have the advantage of playing Fitzgibbon for it carlow and mick Dempsey involved so it won't be a surprise how good james Doyle or mouse can be.
    Carlow won't be taken for granted and I fully expect carlow to give a very good account.
    We like always will play our strongest team available although we don't know what kinda knocks we have it would be nice to see a little squad rotation.Wally picked up a knock last week he might be given time to recover.
    Brennan
    Murphy,Lawlor,tommy
    Cleere,padraig,fogarty
    Murphy,browne
    Donnelly,tj,mullen
    Blanchfield,colin,ger

I like the look of that team if j cleere can fulfill his potential it's a great bonus. Also Alan Murphy has put his hand up and deserves a starting place the lad has surprised a lot of people who didn't think he would make it. Maybe he won't but he deserves his place. The big conundrum is Richie Leahy he really seems to thrive once a game has opened up a bit. I'm sure he wants to start but maybe super sub will be what the management team have in mind for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement