Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I like the look of that team if j cleere can fulfill his potential it's a great bonus. Also Alan Murphy has put his hand up and deserves a starting place the lad has surprised a lot of people who didn't think he would make it. Maybe he won't but he deserves his place. The big conundrum is Richie Leahy he really seems to thrive once a game has opened up a bit. I'm sure he wants to start but maybe super sub will be what the management team have in mind for him.

Richie seems to do much better when coming on alright.He seems a bit loose but he gives us great energy when he comes on and is a great option.John Donnelly and blanch seem to be the seem.Maybe it's the fact they are both making the transition from underage to senior and are better when the game opens up.i know Leahy and blanch are there a few years now but some make it quicker than others.Tj playing the best hurling of his life the last few years.
    Mullen took a knock at the end of the Dublin match that's why blanch was being warmed up.
    Hopefully we might see Buckley make the bench he is expected to line out against danesfort next week.
    Other than that it would be nice to see one or two fresh faces with Galway and wexford coming up itd be good to get gametime into a few others granted we have a break after this weekend hopefully no injuries picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Car
    D Brennan
    P Murphy H Lawlor T Walsh
    C Fogarty P Walsh P Deegan
    A Murphy R Leahy
    A Mullen W Walsh TJ Reid
    B Sheehan C Fennelly G Aylward
    Subs
    R Reid
    E Morrissey
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    M Carey
    R Hogan
    J Donnelly
    M Keoghan
    L Blanchfield
    B Ryan
    G Malone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Glad yo see few changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Bill Sheehan is not as good an option as either Ryan, Blanchfield or Hogan while neither Fogarty nor Deegan inspire a whole lot of confidence as wing backs however neither will ever take a step backwards . The good thing is we are two wing backs and one corner forward away from being a settled team which is quite an improvement from even one game ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Disappointed not to see Billy Ryan starting, got very little ball the last day,I would have him starting instead of Sheehan. Also I would have Morrissey or Cleere instead of Deegan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Billy Ryan played the whole league. If he wants to give Sheehan game time Sunday is the best opportunity. I'd expect to see Ryan back in for the Galway game unless Sheehan shoots the lights out

Billy Ryan played the whole league. If he wants to give Sheehan game time Sunday is the best opportunity. I'd expect to see Ryan back in for the Galway game unless Sheehan shoots the lights out

Agreed. Ryan didn't grasp the opportunity last week but he'll get more chances. Sheehan has been out of action for a while now and could do with game time. When Ryan gets another chance he badly needs to perform.

Deegan seems to be the most versatile player we ever had with the number of positions he's played in to date. And he plays wing forward with his club. Think the pressure will come on when Delaney, and hopefully Buckley, returns. Meanwhile, good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Delighted to see Sheehan start. With the lack of hurling he's had due to injury, he must be killing it in training to bypass the rest. Give him a yard, he'll destroy most lads.
    Not convinced by Ryan so far. Seems to have it all bar a bit of bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

The death has taken place of Tommy o Connell of fenians of Johnstown hurled for kilkenny in the 1959 all Ireland scored three goals the drawn game rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Joe Daly wrote: »
    The death has taken place of Tommy o Connell of fenians of Johnstown hurled for kilkenny in the 1959 all Ireland scored three goals the drawn game rip.

Saw the game. My second final having seen the 57 one. Remember Waterford's equaliser with the deflection of Link going past Ollie but not much else.

• Advertisement

With the team selected it's obvious Cody is giving carlow the respect they deserve.i cant see any complency from the lads instead lads should be chomping at the bit trying to make an impression and hold down a place for the next match.
    Its not surprising his starting with nearly the same team he finished with.last weekend.Hopefully lawlor,Leahy and tommy go well again.
    Bill sheehan has to be a surprise as he has missed so much with injury but as I said earlier this week it was very noticeable how he has filled out since last year.Not the biggest man but is a little terrier who won't give up and if he tidied up his striking a bit like blanchfield he could have a good career.
    Billy is a little unlucky I know he didn't go well last week but he is another that I think has potential.i watched him closely this year in ennis and he took fair punishment that day but he didn't any away.i know he favours his right hand side alot but what I like about him is he is direct and gives us added pace in attack.He will get more chances.
    Think I heard we are carrying 40 on the panel still no sign of lads like Kevin Kelly,scanlon,brassil,Darren mullen who will hopefully see club action next week.If we can get a win Sunday and Dublin lose we should finish at least 3rd in the group and maybe get maher,Joey,Delaney,bucket,scruff back along with the few above and the current squad we might have a decent squad.
    Hopefully we get a good spread of scorers this weekend the only worry is there's a lot of pressure on tj up front to trouble the scoreboard when teams detail markers on him we need lads like Colin to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Strong team named which is great to see. From a Carlow point of view this is huge for us, biggest game I can remember us having. As most know the hurling part of Carlow are the 4 clubs which border Kilkenny & Wexford. 90% of the county treats hurling like Kilkenny does with football!
    Kilkenny have been a huge help to Carlow over the last few years, letting our clubs into your leagues which gives them games v decent teams and is so much better than same 4 senior clubs playing league games v each other!
    A friend of mine is a teacher down on the Carlow/Kilkenny border area and he tells me that for once this week there was a 50/50 split in jerseys for PE! That is progress.
    I reckon Kilkenny will get at least 3 goals on Sunday which will make all the difference. We will score a lot of points for sure, but we don't get many goals. A guess would be KK 3-18 Cw 0-16 something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

citykat wrote: »
    Delighted to see Sheehan start. With the lack of hurling he's had due to injury, he must be killing it in training to bypass the rest. Give him a yard, he'll destroy most lads.
    Not convinced by Ryan so far. Seems to have it all bar a bit of bite.

I'd disagree regarding Ryan. He is the type of forward we need to emerge if we are to challenge for honours. He is tall, strong and able to win his own ball. He knows where the posts are too. Ok things didn't go brilliantly for him the last day but I'd expect and hope for him to bounce back.

Sheehan is lucky in my opinion to get a run. The likes of Blanchfield must bhe scratching their heads. Can't see him making it in the modern game as he lacks size & strength which rightly or wrongly are requirements in thge modern game. Have yet to see him deliver in a county game of any sorts yet. I hope he does though as a kilkennyman.

I imagine the subs in general might scratch their heads when they're not picked. You could make a case for more than a few of them but that's healthy. Billy Ryan should take comfort from his fellow club man, Eddie Brennan, who, in his early days with Cody, took time to step up to the level required. Think Ryan needed a shake and we'll see how he responds next time he gets his chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Great to see the next rung of Junior games getting played over the next few days. I know there was talk of a few of my club men about going to the US for the summer to play hurling.

Anyone know how Carlow set up? Do they play a sweeper? Congested midfield? Running game? I heard one of the Galway mentors say that Carlow had a very good puckout strategy. Any of the Kilkenny officials go up to Pearce Stadium to see the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Carlow couldn't beat Laois or Offaly at home in the League so they'll be well beaten by Kilkenny.

blackcard wrote: »
    Anyone know how Carlow set up? Do they play a sweeper? Congested midfield? Running game? I heard one of the Galway mentors say that Carlow had a very good puckout strategy. Any of the Kilkenny officials go up to Pearce Stadium to see the match?

Cody was definitely up at it.think they like to go long.No matter what it'll be a great occasion for all of carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

The most important thing tomorrow is a win after that Tommy, Ritchie leahy,Huw lawlor And Alan Murphy have to build on last weeks displays.They must make it hard for Delaney. Maher, Buckley and any other injured players to take their spots. Billy Sheehan must keep Ryan, Hogan & Blanchfield off the team as Reid, Walsh, Fennelly, Aylward and now Mullen seem to be certain starters. Solid displays from Fogarty and Deegan will do them no harm but will be needed if either are to retain half back berths. A fully fit Buckley Delaney and Holden will make a fight for these positions while James Maher was one of the best midfielders in Ireland last year and any faltering by Leahy or Murphy will open the door for him.Paul Murphy is a player who really needs to step up a little, he has not quite attained the heights he used to display week in and week out and may be a surprising casualty going forward
    Their is a lot at stake for all of these players tomorrow and foremost of these is a place on the team v Galway which is an excellent position for Kilkenny to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

Is this sold out ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Can anyone suggest a decent pub around Dr Cullen to catch second half of Limerick Cork game after our one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm not at the match; just following on Twitter. Colin was taken off during the first half... I presume it was an injury? Same with Walter just after half time?

I'm not at the match; just following on Twitter. Colin was taken off during the first half... I presume it was an injury? Same with Walter just after half time?

Colin hamstring but be walked off not to bad but they could take a few weeks.wally strapped up after half time.Hopefully no more injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

^^^^
    Thanks brookville

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

minty81 wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a decent pub around Dr Cullen to catch second half of Limerick Cork game after our one?

Probably too late but The Irishman’s is close to the park, lovely inside and has plenty of screens showing the game

^^^^
    Thanks brookville

Wallys was just a precaution and Alan Murphy should be ok.Colin tweaked his hamstring but with club matches coming Tuesday and Wednesday we really don't need any more injuries.Buckley and Richie hogan are expected to play this week.We're lucky now to have a break now it might be give a few other lads to try get back.

Credit to Carlow, at one stage in the second half they had outscored us by 7 points, their conditioning was very good. I thought KL played well in the first half except for hitting 12 wides. I was disappointed in our second half performance. Huw Lawlor did well, Alan Murphy also, Sheehan started well. Jason Cleere had some nice touches when he came on. I imagine Colin Fennelly may be missing against Galway. With the draw between Dublin and Wexford, I think we will have to beat either Galway or Wexford and I think our best shot will be against Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

as very good. I thought KL played well in the first half except for hitting 12 wides. I was disappointed in our second half performance. Huw Lawlor did well, Alan Murphy also, Sheehan started well. Jason Cleere had some nice touches when he came on. I imagine Colin Fennelly may be missing against Galway. With the draw between Dublin and Wexford, I think we will have to beat either Galway or Wexford and I think our best shot will be against Galway[/quote]couldnt get down today anyone give overall view and maybe ratings on players.

I suppose the draw in dublin opens things back up we'll have to win one of the next 2 matches anyway.I think we have a good chance against Galway at home i just hope we don't pick up any more injuries especially with the club matches.
    Buckley and hogan should line out for their club and hopefully we might see Joey and a few injured lads back.Hopefully Colin can get back for the Galway we have a few weeks off to try get a few of them back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Job done yesterday but i was far from impressed. Hoping Colins injury is not too bad as will need him for next few games and in current form he capable of causing every full back problems(Daithi Burke inclusive). Thought some of our striking yesterday was woeful and that was from numerous players and our use of the ball at time was very poor with far too many wides. TJ was top class again and how he maintains that consistency is incredible and Jason Cleere did well when he came which might put Deegan under pressure for starting place next day.

Sheehan had some nice touches and solo runs but he just too small for my liking. Like all small corner forwards he is suited to the low ball out in front in of him but there is alot of times when the half back line are under pressure and just have to clear it long and high and any of these high balls directed towards sheehans corner are just mopped up by the opposition almost every time and possession lost straight away from what should be a 50:50 competitive clash

Plenty of positions still open on the team and just hope no more injuries out of this weeks club games

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement