Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Job done yesterday but i was far from impressed. Hoping Colins injury is not too bad as will need him for next few games and in current form he capable of causing every full back problems(Daithi Burke inclusive). Thought some of our striking yesterday was woeful and that was from numerous players and our use of the ball at time was very poor with far too many wides. TJ was top class again and how he maintains that consistency is incredible and Jason Cleere did well when he came which might put Deegan under pressure for starting place next day.

Sheehan had some nice touches and solo runs but he just too small for my liking. Like all small corner forwards he is suited to the low ball out in front in of him but there is alot of times when the half balk line are under pressure to just have to clear it long and high and any of these high balls directed towards sheehans corner are just mopped up by the opposition almost every time and position lost straight away from what should be a 50:50 competitive clash

Plenty of positions still open on the team and just hope no more injuries out of this weeks club games

I agree some of the use of the ball was terrible from the backs. Will need to improve as the competition goes on.

I went into Fenians v Carrickshock Saturday evening. Looking at JJ Delaney he could still do a job for Kilkenny. Carrickshock had John Dalton centre forward was cleaned out there. Carrickshock poor, but Fenians and Conor Tobin looked very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    I agree some of the use of the ball was terrible from the backs. Will need to improve as the competition goes on

No doubt very sloppy yesterday and all the wides highlights that but a win is a win that's all we wanted.it was a no win situation.We have 2 from 2 that's the most important thing.We have a huge game coming up against Galway and thankfully we have a little time to prepare for it where hopefully we can get a few lads back but the club matches could bring it's own problems hopefully no fresh concerns.Colin is the main concern hopefully it's not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

brookville wrote: »
    I agree some of the use of the ball was terrible from the backs. Will need to improve as the competition goes on

No doubt very sloppy yesterday and all the wides highlights that but a win is a win that's all we wanted.it was a no win situation.We have 2 from 2 that's the most important thing.We have a huge game coming up against Galway and thankfully we have a little time to prepare for it where hopefully we can get a few lads back but the club matches could bring it's own problems hopefully no fresh concerns.Colin is the main concern hopefully it's not too bad

He walked off without much of a limp. Also he done it while nearly stationary so might only be a little strain and as the game was effectively over no point in aggravating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Reckon the occasion got to Carlow. Not used to the hype they got during the week but that's not Kilkenny's problem! They did what was asked of them. There is still that gap in standard but our lads are not as bad as they were in the first half yesterday. They'll have learned a good bit and hopefully we can pull off a shock v Wexford or Dublin.

dzer2 wrote: »
    He walked off without much of a limp. Also he done it while nearly stationary so might only be a little strain and as the game was effectively over no point in aggravating it.

Yea hopefully only a tweak and nothing major.The Galway match should be a great day and give us a good idea where we are.im just hoping the club matches go well and the few lads that are nearly back get through the games.

• Advertisement

Yea hopefully only a tweak and nothing major.The Galway match should be a great day and give us a good idea where we are.im just hoping the club matches go well and the few lads that are nearly back get through the games.

Club matches will do the players good. Some lads need games and other still loom rusty and could do with the hurling. Murphy, Lawlor, Fogarty, Wally

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Reckon the occasion got to Carlow. Not used to the hype they got during the week but that's not Kilkenny's problem! They did what was asked of them. There is still that gap in standard but our lads are not as bad as they were in the first half yesterday. They'll have learned a good bit and hopefully we can pull off a shock v Wexford or Dublin.

A shock against Wexford would be very much appreciated this side of the border, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Some very bad wides yesterday, 3 by Conor Fogarty, others by Mullen, Wally, Leahy even TJ. I suppose at least they were creating chances and can work on the finishing. Galway match is going to be crucial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

There was a strong cross wind yesterday , Wally got a pass from Paddy Deegan in front of the goal drove it wide drove another one wide before that The match was over after Colin Fennelly goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

A shock against Wexford would be very much appreciated this side of the border, thanks!

Ye can relegate them then in the last match!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Lets all hear about the Limerick running game about how it is going to dominate hurling for the next two generations, about how it has left Kilkenny back in the middle ages, about how Brian Cody is a relic of times gone bye for not buying into it, about how the same Brian should be put in a nursing home for not seeing its all persuasive and fundamental necessity to achieve any future success in this ancient game and this despite all the great man has achieved before now. There was no shortage of such comments in Feb March and April so why not now, very explicit comments at that and certainly very firm opinions. No man ever ran as fast as a well belted sliother it was true then and is true now.

Ad an aside Kilkenyy 3-22 Carlow 1-14 in Carlow a whole lot better than Galway 1-24 Carlow 1-18 in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Because Cork are renowned for their lump it in high, no running style of hurling. A bizarre post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Lets all hear about the Limerick running game about how it is going to dominate hurling for the next two generations, about how it has left Kilkenny back in the middle ages, about how Brian Cody is a relic of times gone bye for not buying into it, about how the same Brian should be put in a nursing home for not seeing its all persuasive and fundamental necessity to achieve any future success in this ancient game and this despite all the great man has achieved before now. There was no shortage of such comments in Feb March and April so why not now, very explicit comments at that and certainly very firm opinions. No man ever ran as fast as a well belted sliother it was true then and is true now.

Whatever you're on... can I have some of it please :)

Bahanaman wrote: »

I think carlow were unlucky to get Galway and Kilkenny first and I think carlow got caught out yesterday but at least positives can be taken from the second half performance and hopefully they get a something out of the remaining matches.

I wonder what way our injured lads are coming along.Kevin kelly,niall brassil,Luke scanlon,darren mullen.Hopefully Richie and cillian go well but we're building a nice panel and moving well.Throw in scruff,Joey,delaney and Maher we will hopefully have options and get better over the summer.
    Players will know if they show a bit of form there's places up for grabs.Bill Sheehan being an example yesterday and he brought pace to out attack and took on his man every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

I wonder what way our injured lads are coming along.Kevin kelly,niall brassil,Luke scanlon,darren mullen.Hopefully Richie and cillian go well but we're building a nice panel and moving well.Throw in scruff,Joey,delaney and Maher we will hopefully have options and get better over the summer.
    Players will know if they show a bit of form there's places up for grabs.Bill Sheehan being an example yesterday and he brought pace to out attack and took on his man every time.

From what I could see from the game first the young lads have all bulked out a fair bit Sheehan was the smallest man on the field. You could see the eagerness to run for the pass and run off the shoulder a bit more. Definitely sorted out the 3 lads jumping for the ball leaving 2 from the opposition free to pick up the loose ball. That is coming from confidence in your team mate to sort out his area. Thought Blanchfield was sluggish in the forwards compared to the rest. Cleere looked like he could reach his potential.

Saying all this they were playing Carlow the next game will test these observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Whatever you're on... can I have some of it please :)

I think it is called loyalty - he is loyal to Brian Cody and the Kilkenny team - nothing wrong with that.
    And we are all entitled to our opinions.
    Brian has the track record - a bit more than us - and we must support him - during the bad times as well as the good.
    Exceptional players do not appear or arrive on the scene together as happened with the previous lot of Kilkenny hurlers Brian had under him.
    Things are beginning to knit together a bit now and we must be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I think it is called loyalty - he is loyal to Brian Cody and the Kilkenny team - nothing wrong with that.
    Brian has the track record - a bit more than us - and we must support him - during the bad times as well as the good.
    Exceptional players do not appear or arrive on the scene together as happened with the previous lot of Kilkenny hurlers Brian had under him.

There is a big difference between loyalty and making shi* up in a nonsensical rant!

Fantastic to have club matches on this evening. Good weather and good players on display great to see it. Pity they didn’t get extend it to Thursday night I could have got in the 3 matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Any regular posted would agree with regards to his loyalty/genuine interest for Kilkenny hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Pogue eile wrote: »
    There is a big difference between loyalty and making shi* up in a nonsensical rant!

He has great passion to his club , County fair play to him if he was living here he would be out this evening at the club matches.

Fantastic to have club matches on this evening. Good weather and good players on display great to see it. Pity they didn’t get extend it to Thursday night I could have got in the 3 matches

Great chance for the village tomorrow night to get a win the shamrocks down a load of players.Clara and olg should also be a good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I thought the game v Carlow was a decent display with lots to wrok on for most players you got onto the pitch. We had a blistering start but the amount of wides in the first half was criminal especially when we had a strong wind at our backs. We had 12 wides in the first half and I would say that 8 to 10 of them were easily convertible. Instead of going in 15 up at half time for the level of dominance in reality it should have been 25. Carlow to their credit came out and blitzed us and used the wind when they had it and we struggled for a good 10 to 15 mins to get a handle on them in that period. I think in that period they out scored us 1-6 to a 0-1. We then figured it out closed them down a lot more and started to take some scores but still there was a lack of cut to our game and a lot of sloppy play. Overall you'd have to be happy with a score of 3-22 but in reality it should have been more like 4-35. It's not that I want to see us humiliate Carlow but with the chances we were creating I'd be worried against tighter opposition will we score enough.

Player ratings
    Darren Brennan 8 a decent day couldn't really expect him to save the goal and his puckouts were good and dealt with a few dropping balls well picked one off his crossbar
    Paul Murphy 7 a good display from what I saw of him but I was at the other end of the pitch for the second half so when Carlow cranked it up I didn't see everything
    Huw Lawlor 7 he was actually very good most of the day but losses marks for dropping a huge amount of ball that he should have caught.
    Tommy Walsh 8 was probably the most industrious of the FB line and covered across well
    Conor Fogarty 6 was good defending no issue there but he's distribution and attempted shots were abysmal and way below his usual level
    Padraig Walsh 7 only because he was quiet but anything came his way he dealt with it well
    Paddy Deegan 6 to be honest i hardly realised he was playing until Cleere came on and changed that wing utterly
    Alan Murphy 8 worked hard picked out some decent passes and scored a couple of points was more effective in the first half
    Richie Leahy 8 again worked hard tracked back made himself available and brought good ball forward and chipped in with a point was much quieter in the second half
    Adrian Mullen 6 was sharp in the opening exchanges and eventually got a point but for me he looked disinterested in the harder work and I was dissappointed in him over all, I though he was lucky to stay on. Has the skill and guile but was missing the work rate for me.
    Walter Walsh 6 was running everywhere causing trouble but hit some horrible wides under little to no pressure, should have been taken off at half time anyway if he wasn't injured.
    TJ Reid 10 gave another master class you all know what I mean we've seen it all before, defending, distributing, attacking and scoring
    Bill Sheehan 8 for me Bill was excellent he caused huge trouble when the right ball was let into him. he set up at least 2-3 of our tally and was a constant threat even when high ball was sent into him he broke it down for himself or others a lot of the time. He losses marks for not scoring but he was always looking for the man in the better position and not afraid to pass it.
    Colin Fennelly 8 caused a lot of trouble until he went of injured after 20 or so mins he seemed to slip but walked off the pitch. scored 1-1
    Ger Aylward 7 worked really hard and scored 1-1 but really could and should have had more some poor shooting
    Subs
    Liam Blanchfield 6 worked hard but his first touch was very poor and i don't think he won any high ball but very little went in on top of him
    John Donnelly 7 worked hard and tried lots and eventually the breaks cam his way got 0-2 in the end
    Billy Ryan 8 brought a real urgency and drive when he came on, tried to take on his man anytime he got the ball in hand finished with 0-1
    Jason Cleere 8 really drove into the game won most ball came his way and started to drive forward with it and was fouled for at least 2 points from those runs
    Mossy Keoghan no rating only on for 10 minutes but I can see why he didn't start, but corner forward is not his position.

Pogue eile wrote: »

Go back to the posts in Feb /March and reread the nonsense written about Brian Cody and his failure to keep up with the "Modern Game" especially as was played by Limerick. That was the real shy%% that was voiced here.

Olg deserving winners over clara.I thought olg half back line was very good.Paddy butler,deegan and lawlor.the clara attack couldn't get going and credit must go to olg.gortha ran the show up front and caused conor o shea serious trouble.mark bergin got a goal and finished well.liam ryan tried hard for clara.Fantastic set up in James stephens.How many pitches are in there?

Huw and paddy came through ok tonight.wally and alan Murphy played.richie hogan and buckley both very good danesfort had a great win over boro.aidan nolan very good.John Walsh got 1-3 against the bridge in a high scoring classic.young harkin very good for the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Glenmore tullagher ended up a draw and wasn’t the most high quality affair but it was close and and a good battle. Thought Wally and Alan Murphy were the best players on show but Wally had a good few wides and Kevin Hennessy played a good game man marking Alan. Alan started on fire and set up the glenmore goal and Walter set up the other goal in the game with an unbelievable catch and pass. Same story with Ger today very good at getting out in front and getting the ball in hand but his striking, decision making and finishing once again letting him down. He has serious speed but is too greedy too often and if he had taken one of his many chances tonight they properly would have won. Conor Hennessy lively again and is a good finisher while shane Murphy grew into the game. Very tough battle out there but the main players stood out regardless. Pat Hartley a good hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Huw and paddy came through ok tonight.wally and alan Murphy played.richie hogan and buckley both very good danesfort had a great win over boro.aidan nolan very good.John Walsh got 1-3 against the bridge in a high scoring classic.young harkin very good for the bridge.
    Good to see Richie Hogan get through a full match and to see Cillian Buckley back hurling. Vat and the Bridge was an entertaining match, could have gone either way. Goals kept the Vat in it but the Bridge needed 3 late points to draw. John Walsh did well for the Vat. Jason Cleere, David Blanchfield and Harkin were best for the Bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Erins Own v St Pats wasn't a classic last night, I suppose the best way to describe it would be to say defences were on top! A mistake in defence to give away a goal ultimately cost Ballyragget. Comer were that little bit stronger in the tackle I felt but there wasn't a huge amount between them. Fogarty went well for Comer, dropping back to shore things up towards the end. Kelly was ok without being spectacular. The highlight of the evening for me was the second goal for Ballyragget from young Jack Morrissey, a real bit of class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement