Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Can I ask people,
    If in one half of a game,
    there were 7 subs (between both sides)
    3-4 players down injured (for 40 seconds to a minute each)
    How much extra time would you expect to be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Can I ask people,

However long is needed to make a draw of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Can I ask people,

As much as the match referee sees fit to play, not what all the referees on the sidelines think he SHOULD play . ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Go back to the posts in Feb /March and reread the nonsense written about Brian Cody and his failure to keep up with the "Modern Game" especially as was played by Limerick. That was the real shy%% that was voiced here.

Bear in mind that Limerick have only lost one game and it was to Cork and not Kilkenny though. I don't think Sunday is a vindication of Brian Cody as a manager, can't see how it possibly could be?

He is a great tactician however, and nobody can argue with 11 all Irelands. Think he has a panel of good hurlers at his disposal, but I say good and not great. Many are around the same level, without many standouts in the younger generation. The format though suits young teams in my opinion which was how Limerick prospered last year, and that would sure well for Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

However long is needed to make a draw of it.
    I suppose what I was asking was, is there a number like there is in soccer of 30seconds per sub?

Anyway I would expect more than 5 seconds he played!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I suppose what I was asking was, is there a number like there is in soccer of 30seconds per sub?

Anyway I would expect more than 5 seconds he played!

Was this the Boro match? Heard the ref was very bad, and in the second half so were we. Any details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Bear in mind that Limerick have only lost one game and it was to Cork and not Kilkenny though. I don't think Sunday is a vindication of Brian Cody as a manager, can't see how it possibly could be?

He is a great tactician however, and nobody can argue with 11 all Irelands. Think he has a panel of good hurlers at his disposal, but I say good and not great. Many are around the same level, without many standouts in the younger generation. The format though suits young teams in my opinion which was how Limerick prospered last year, and that would sure well for Kilkenny.

Yes but to a Cork team who were murdered by Tipperary. By a Tipp team who in turn are now being touted as the next unbeatables and this despite the same Tipp players being turned over year in and year out for the past number of years . There is nothing new in O'Dwyer, Callihan, McGrath Noel or John nor in any of the Mahers. Seen them all before, saw the banners, read the headlines and then read the inevitable obituries. Tommy Walsh, Hug lawlor, Conor Delaney Alan Murphy Ritchie Leahy, Liam Blanchfield, John Donnelly to name a few are not just good players they are all better players than Ritchie Power, Jackie Tyrell, Brian Hogan, Eoin Larkin, Michael or Ger Fennelly were when at the same age and the same stage of development.Other than Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney DJ Carey and Cha Fitzpatrick I cant remember too many others who shot the lights out when first introduced to the Kilkenny team. Even the great Henry took his times before becoming the great player he was to eventually to become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Think you're getting a bit carried away with those comparisons to be fair. Those Tipp lads you've mentioned have two all Ireland medals also, and I don't think anybody (or at least not any reasonable observer) is calling Tipp unbeatable.

Limerick still have a great panel and presuming they bounce back against Waterford they will still be a tough proposition for anyone for the rest of the year. I think Galway are on the slide, will be very interesting to see how Wexford get on on Sunday as I thought it was impressive they were in a winning position v Dublin up in Parnell park having come in cold to the game. Could yet be yer biggest threat to Leinster.

Also on the Cork thing, results are not linear. By the same logic, Limerick would have been bet out the gate by Galway as they were by Clare who lost out to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

James Maher on at half time for freshford.

brookville wrote: »
    James Maher on at half time for freshford.

Noel mgree and james Maher gave freshford a great lift but the better team won.darragh maher very good.padraig and Shane with the goals but padraig going back centre back to steady things probably shifted things their way.Shane is a real nuisance for defenders I'm surprised he hasn't being put on a programme he has potential.great to see James,richie,cillian,brassil,wally,murphy,Kevin kelly.missing club action were joey,colin,delaney,scruff,scanlon,Darren mullen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Yes but to a Cork team who were murdered by Tipperary. By a Tipp team who in turn are now being touted as the next unbeatables and this despite the same Tipp players being turned over year in and year out for the past number of years . There is nothing new in O'Dwyer, Callihan, McGrath Noel or John nor in any of the Mahers. Seen them all before, saw the banners, read the headlines and then read the inevitable obituries. Tommy Walsh, Hug lawlor, Conor Delaney Alan Murphy Ritchie Leahy, Liam Blanchfield, John Donnelly to name a few are not just good players they are all better players than Ritchie Power, Jackie Tyrell, Brian Hogan, Eoin Larkin, Michael or Ger Fennelly were when at the same age and the same stage of development.Other than Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney DJ Carey and Cha Fitzpatrick I cant remember too many others who shot the lights out when first introduced to the Kilkenny team. Even the great Henry took his times before becoming the great player he was to eventually to become.

A lot of the players you mentioned must be 23 now and have not set the world on fire at inter county level. Big year for a few of the names mentioned. No way are any of them better than Richie Power or Eoin Larkin at that age. Henry was a class act at 23/24 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Noel mgree and james Maher gave freshford a great lift but the better team won.darragh maher very good.padraig and Shane with the goals but padraig going back centre back to steady things probably shifted things their way.Shane is a real nuisance for defenders I'm surprised he hasn't being put on a programme he has potential.great to see James,richie,cillian,brassil,wally,murphy,Kevin kelly.missing club action were joey,colin,delaney,scruff,scanlon

Freshford have a good chance of winning Intermediate this year.

Village87 wrote: »
    Freshford have a good chance of winning Intermediate this year.

Intermediate is the one grade where really any team could win it.Tullogher drove free after free wide last year against gbc.freshford missed a penalty I think at a crucial time last year to really swing that match.teams like thomastown and tullaron will really fancy their chances while teams like gowran and johnstown are hard to beat.
    Brillant to see James back tonight and the 2 nights go well for the county with no major injuries to report.Im sure the heads will go down to the next 2 matches in particular Galway at home minus joe i be expecting a lot closer result than this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

James Stephens had a well deserved win over Ballyhale tonight. Ballyhale were missing Joey Holden, Darren Mullen, Colin Fennelly, Eoin Reid, Joey Cuddihy and Ronan Corcoran, Stephens were missing a couple including Luke Scanlon. Ballyhale will be disappointed with their performance as they showed little fight, thought Evan Shefflin and Eoin Cody in particular were quiet. Eoin Larkin played sweeper and hurled a world of ball. Ballyhale gave away loads of frees which Eoin Guilfoyle converted. Conor Browne was prominent

blackcard wrote: »
    James Stephens had a well deserved win over Ballyhale tonight. Ballyhale were missing Joey Holden, Darren Mullen, Colin Fennelly, Eoin Reid, Joey Cuddihy and Ronan Corcoran, Stephens were missing a couple including Luke Scanlon. Ballyhale will be disappointed with their performance as they showed little fight, thought Evan Shefflin and Eoin Cody in particular were quiet. Eoin Larkin played sweeper and hurled a world of ball. Ballyhale gave away loads of frees which Eoin Guilfoyle converted. Conor Browne was prominent

Important win for cheddar and co but the shamrocks will be a different team later in the year.I heard Larkin gave a exhibition at centre back giving quailty ball into his fowards.Eoin guilfoyle is a very good free taker I seen him against the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Olg deserving winners over clara.I thought olg half back line was very good.Paddy butler,deegan and lawlor.the clara attack couldn't get going and credit must go to olg.gortha ran the show up front and caused conor o shea serious trouble.mark bergin got a goal and finished well.liam ryan tried hard for clara.Fantastic set up in James stephens.How many pitches are in there?

Gorta still well able to spearhead the attack, he caused havok

4 full size pitches out the Kells Road, plus a juvenile pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

This isn't fair, why does he get all the drugs and booze??

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

I was also at the James Stephens vs Ballyhale game last night, like some others have expressed I thought Ballyhale even though down numbers were quite poor, the Village played an extra man out around the middle which usually left Eoin Larkin free and Ballyhale never really adjusted, thought they could have done a better job of getting Evan Shefflin or Richie Reid as their free man.

On the Village side of things theyll be very happy with their performance, I think their frees conceded count dropped form 15+ against Mullinavat to 5 or 6 last night, last years minor Cian Kenny was absolutely exceptional, he spent a good bit of the match tracking TJ, did very well on him and managed to get a score and win 2 or 3 frees which were scored aswell. Conor Browne was good throughout and Brassil came into it in the second half too I thought. Will be interesting to see if they setup this way for the rest of the year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Important win for cheddar and co but the shamrocks will be a different team later in the year.I heard Larkin gave a exhibition at centre back giving quailty ball into his fowards.Eoin guilfoyle is a very good free taker I seen him against the bridge.

Eoin Larkin was the sweeper. Shamrocks continually poured down aimless clearances into him, especially Richie Reid. So if you call that an exhibition, fair enough. To be fair he only lost one possession. You could argue that the Shamrocks were missing a lot and they were, but all the new lads have two under-21As medals. The fact that Henry didn't change it at half time shows how much learning he still has to do in the management game. If fact if anything it got worse. TJ looked very frustrated.

The interesting thing in this game was the performance of Cheddar Plunkett, who spent the whole game on the pitch and not just a few yards in. Shouting and mouthing and encouraging gamesmanship. We as Kilkenny supporters were very quick to criticise Greg Kennedy and rightly so, but we need to stamp it out in our own club games. As Bainisteor he is not entitled to be on the pitch at all.

And yes, the referee in the Dicksboro game did not play the required time, let alone injury time. To be fair I thought Danesfort just about deserved it though. Following certain people on Twitter for these games is dangerous when it comes to opinions. Some would be as well off sticking to the scores. Saw some tweets about who was playing well in this game, which suggested I was in a parallel universe.

We are now three rounds in and the question I posed awhile back about what teams are playing an inter county style of hurling, I ask again. To my mind none, but James Stephens did show a few signs of playing a Wexford style. Any thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

That savannahkat lad is a great man for the jokin'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

We are now three rounds in and the question I posed awhile back about what teams are playing an inter county style of hurling, I ask again. To my mind none, but James Stephens did show a few signs of playing a Wexford style. Any thoughts anyone?[/QUOTE]

No disrespect but i hope to God no one in Kilkenny, man, woman, child or beast ever tries to emulate the "Wexford" i.e otherwise known as the "Davey" style of play. I would prefer to watch Synchronized Swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

Maurice Flynn made another massive ass of himself in the Danesfort v Dicksboro match, he blew for a free to Danesfort and then blew for full time straight away, all he had to do was let the free be taken (another minute / minute & half used up) and then blow full time, it still would have seemed abrupt (as I felt at least two minutes extra should have been played) but to do what he done is laughable, how he still get's adult matches is an indication of how ref's are allocated in Kilkenny. Every match he ref's contains at least 2/3 x moments where all you can do is shake your head and laugh at him.

Danesfort deserved the win, turned the second half into a 'battle', won the vast majority of 50:50 tackles and took some wonderful scores, it was no fluke. Dicksboro will have to look long & hard how they lost out here.

The Shamrocks versus the Village were woeful, of course they were missing 5/6 x starters but the level of commitment and attitude was way behind Village players. Some of the younger lads will have to realise very quickly that you cannot just turn it on when required, Erin's Own surely thought them that last year in the semi-final. It would be hard to pick four Shamrocks players that held there own.

The Village looked eager, committed and there quick moving & passing game is hard to stop when in full flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

blackcard wrote: »

Agreed with all above as village were well deserved winners over a severely depleted Ballyhale team. If anything village should be dissapointed not to win by more given they were 9 points up at half time. Adrian Mullen took his goal very well but other than that himself and TJ were fighting a losing battle up front with very little support from other forwards and the village just crowded them out as soon as either of them got on the ball.

I thought Cahill as referee had a very bad game and personally thought Jackie should have seen red card for a potential wild pull down on the head of Mullen in almost pickaxe motion that fortunately never actually fully connected but the deliberate intent was absolutely scandalous. incredibly he didnt even get a card for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Jackie should have seen red card for a potential wild pull down on the head of Mullen in almost pickaxe motion that fortunately never actually fully connected but the deliberate intent was absolutely scandalous. incredibly he didnt even get a card for it.
    Agree fully, Jackie could never match Mullen for speed and he knew that, he also made a second swipe at him when he was through for the goal. Very poor from Jackie and the ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Has cheddar a village colour cap on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Has cheddar a village colour cap on him.

Cheddar was wearing a wooly hat and hoodie and was standing in Jackie’s corner of the pitch all first half and then moved down other end second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Comerman wrote: »
    Agree fully, Jackie could never match Mullen for speed and he knew that, he also made a second swipe at him when he was through for the goal. Very poor from Jackie and the ref.

Something like the headbutt in the Co final on Colin Fennelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I’d be surprised if a league defeat in May will overly concern Henry. He’s probably more preoccupied with his next choice of shirt for the Sunday Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

citykat wrote: »
    I’d be surprised if a league defeat in May will overly concern Henry. He’s probably more preoccupied with his next choice of shirt for the Sunday Game.

This has been the biggest scandal in Kilkenny hurling this year. Whoever is dressing him in Pauls is having a right laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

BOSTIK wrote: »
    That savannahkat lad is a great man for the jokin'.
    yeah he must be smoking something funny....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement