Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

brookville wrote: »
    Important win for cheddar and co but the shamrocks will be a different team later in the year.I heard Larkin gave a exhibition at centre back giving quailty ball into his fowards.Eoin guilfoyle is a very good free taker I seen him against the bridge.

Larkin must be one of the most under rated hurlers going he was doing that all through his county career still doing it at club delivering great ball into the forwards.

We are now three rounds in and the question I posed awhile back about what teams are playing an inter county style of hurling, I ask again. To my mind none, but James Stephens did show a few signs of playing a Wexford style. Any thoughts anyone?

No disrespect but i hope to God no one in Kilkenny, man, woman, child or beast ever tries to emulate the "Wexford" i.e otherwise known as the "Davey" style of play. I would prefer to watch Synchronized Swimming.[/QUOTE]

Listening to the Marty squad last sunday evening a couple of Wexford people not to the way they play, a well known horse trainer was one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Larkin must be one of the most under rated hurlers going he was doing that all through his county career still doing it at club delivering great ball into the forwards.

He done a lot of donkey work for us over the years tracking back and always chipping in with important scores but some of the displays he gave for the village were unbelievable. Wally kinda playing that roll now often back in his own half back line.
    Its a big couple of weeks for Davey there's no doubt they lack a few fowards and until they produce some it's hard to see them winning silverware but their system looks to be holding back lads like McDonald.For all daveys talk bout blooding lads for this year he started 13 of last years team that lost to clare.I know our hand was forced but we had bout 7 different names last wknd since the limerick game.We are a few years into this rebuild now it's be nice to try win Leinster and get into a semi final.The Galway match should be a good match and if be hopefully this is one we have targeted and hopefully we can get a win
    I think wexford have a great chance this weekend against Galway minus joe and daithi Burke only coming back the same for glynn and Cooney but Galway seem to have wexfords number and have worked out davey.Galway could be trying to time their run different this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

citykat wrote: »
    I’d be surprised if a league defeat in May will overly concern Henry. He’s probably more preoccupied with his next choice of shirt for the Sunday Game.

This has been the biggest scandal in Kilkenny hurling this year. Whoever is dressing him in Pauls is having a right laugh
    Pauls? Ah that explains it. Those folk probably think The Sunday Game is some quasi religious programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Heard good news today, Conor Delaney is back running and Murphy is not far away.

That should leave us in a very strong position (all going well) going into the Galway and Wexford games.

Goalkeepers
    E Murphy (hopefully back)
    D Brennan
    R Reid

Defenders
    P Murphy
    H Lawlor
    C Delaney (if recovery stays on track)
    T Walsh
    P Walsh
    J Cleere
    C Buckley (if recovery stays on track)
    C Fogarty
    P Deegan
    E Morrissey
    J Holden (if recovery stays on track)
    R Reid (duplicate)
    M Carey
    C Wallace
    R Fitzpatrick

Midfielders
    J Maher (if recovery stays on track)
    R Leahy
    A Murphy (If fit)
    C Browne
    C Buckley (duplicate)
    C Fogarty (duplicate)

Forwards
    TJ Reid
    W Walsh
    G Aylward
    B Ryan
    L Blanchfield
    J Donnelly
    A Mullen
    B Sheehan
    G Malone
    R Hogan (if recovery stays on track)
    C Fennelly (if recovery stays on track)
    M Keoghan
    L Kelly
    C Fennelly (if recovered)
    L Scanlon
    N Brassill

GK 3
    DF 14 +1 duplicate
    MF 4 + 2 duplicate
    FF 16
    Thats 37 strong options and I know I'm missing plenty there as well.

My starting 15 after the first 2 games and if everyone is fit and playing to their potential

E Murphy
    P Murphy H Lawlor T Walsh
    P Walsh C Delaney C Fogarty
    J Maher C Buckley
    TJ Reid W Walsh R Hogan
    G Aylward C Fennelly A Mullen

Subs
    D Brennan
    J Cleere
    P Deegan
    J Holden
    E Morrissey
    R Leahy
    A Murphy
    B Ryan
    J Donnelly
    L Blanchfield
    B Sheehan

As long as we don't pick up any fresh injuries in training, we're very close to being able to pick a team like that relatively soon. That team and that bench will take beating.

Depending on training Jason Cleere could push out Fogarty he was very good when he came on against Carlow, also Richie Hogan and Colin could miss out to the likes of Leahy and B Ryan if their not fit enough or not showing well enough in training. R Hogan scored some lovely points against the Boro the other night and looked sharp.

You could swap R Hogan and A Mullen and give R Hogan a free role and tell him to roam wherever he wants to try and win ball in a Eoin Larkin style role.

• Advertisement

yeah he must be smoking something funny....

The GAA, for the first time, will have official representation in the Dublin Gay Pride parade - why are they getting involved in sexual preference promotions - of any kind.

I, as a strong supporter of the GAA, is not happy with this involvement.
    I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist if i was you. It's just a small show of solidarity that's all. If you feel that strongly about it, take it to congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

yeah he must be smoking something funny....

The GAA, for the first time, will have official representation in the Dublin Gay Pride parade - why are they getting involved in sexual preference promotions - of any kind.

What has that got to do with the price of spuds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Why? It affects you in no way. The world will keep on turning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Looks like kilkenny will need to win of there last two games to make sure of qualifying. The next two games will tell alot about kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Brian017 wrote: »
    Why? It affects you in no way. The world will keep on turning
    how do people go and support a team that play like wexford.shicking stuff to watch win.or loose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

What has that got to do with the price of spuds?

Or hurling!

There are vintage car rallies all over the country - can they send representatives to these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Step away from the keyboard lad.

Poor enough match on the eye until the last few minutes where it was end to end.Davey getting sent off probably lifted wexford.dissapointed with rory o connor while liam og drove a good few wides.Conditions were very difficult but neither team have a 9/10 free taker like we have.
    Nothing to fear from either team I think apart from Whelan up front Galway lacked leaders especially when momentum swung.Gylnn won a few balls when he came on but u can see the loss of joe is huge.
    I think we will fancy our chances Sunday week at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A win against Galway in Nowlan Park and we are through to the Leinster final. Much better scenario than having to go to Wexford Park and trying for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Galway will throw the kitchen sink at us though.

A loss for them and their season could be in jeopardy going to Parnell Park.

There could be a very tight finish to this Leinster round robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

brookville wrote: »
    Poor enough match on the eye until the last few minutes where it was end to end.Davey getting sent off probably lifted wexford.dissapointed with rory o connor while liam og drove a good few wides.Conditions were very difficult but neither team have a 9/10 free taker like we have.
    Nothing to fear from either team I think apart from Whelan up front Galway lacked leaders especially when momentum swung.Gylnn won a few balls when he came on but u can see the loss of joe is huge.
    I think we will fancy our chances Sunday week at home.

And teams have nothing to fear from us except trying to keep tabs on TJ Reid.

Two big games for us against a stung Galway and big game in Wexford Park.

I wouldn’t be counting any chickens just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

It is a strange decision all right considering that, for example, the GAA doesn't get involved in the Dublin St Patrick's Day parade or get involved in political rallies. It's hard to know why this should be an exception. But the current hysteria around this topic has maybe put pressure on them, as in if you don't wholly endorse every single thing publicly you're a homophobe.

I think we know they will throw the kitchen sink at us its up to kilkenny to throw it back at them. Davy Fitz is a thundering disgrace the gaa should do something about these officals that they have a free role to interfere with officals. He didn't complain when Wexford got a few handy frees. The next day Daithi Burke will be more match fit.

conor05 wrote: »
    And teams have nothing to fear from us except trying to keep tabs on TJ Reid.

Two big games for us against a stung Galway and big game in Wexford Park.

I wouldn’t be counting any chickens just yet!

I know we're nothing special I didn't say we were and we all know how reliant we are on tj but I remember going up to salthill last year and being beaten before we went out.Joe is a huge loss even with the frees he is very consistent.I know this game will bring on joe Cooney and Glynn but they don't seem to be as strong as they were this time last year and despite all our injuries I think we're going better than we were this time last year mayb Galway are trying to time the run but as others have said the next match in particular will give us a good indication where we are.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    It is a strange decision all right considering that, for example, the GAA doesn't get involved in the Dublin St Patrick's Day parade or get involved in political rallies. It's hard to know why this should be an exception. But the current hysteria around this topic has maybe put pressure on them, as in if you don't wholly endorse every single thing publicly you're a homophobe.

Exactly, you put it better than I. If they start going down the politically correct route, they are deliberately going into never-ending definitions.

What then, is to prevent team mates from wearing skirts if they so choose. I know that may seem a bit extreme.

Can men 'identify' as women and play camogie. Is this where we are heading, as by participating in these parades, they are in fact endorsing the so-called gender culture.

Was this decision decided at the last GAA Congress, and if not there needs to be a very serious conversation about such participation.

• Advertisement

conor05 wrote: »
    Galway will throw the kitchen sink at us though.

A loss for them and their season could be in jeopardy going to Parnell Park.

There could be a very tight finish to this Leinster round robin.

On all evidence this Galway team is now on the way down and probably had its best opportunity 2015-17. Joe Canning is a loss but they should not be that bad. It's open to a few teams to win Leinster and with no clear frontrunner it usually means that Kilkenny will win it.

Can men 'identify' as women and play camogie. Is this where we are heading, as by participating in these parades, they are in fact endorsing the so-called gender culture.

Raising such a question, in the current atmosphere, as Martina Navratilova has found out makes one a "transphobe". So the chances of anyone risking public ostracization and raising this is slim to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Exactly, you put it better than I. If they start going down the politically correct route, they are deliberately going into never-ending definitions.

What then, is to prevent team mates from wearing skirts if they so choose. I know that may seem a bit extreme.

Was this decision decided at the last GAA Congress, and if not there needs to be a very serious conversation about such participation.

"the so-called gender culture" - what does that even mean? "the politically correct route".... It would help if you could articulate your views and not spouting these meaningless cliches.

As a life-long GAA player and fan, I'm delighted with this decision. It's the GAA once again leading the way and I couldn't be prouder of our organisation.

grimbergen wrote: »
    "the so-called gender culture" - what does that even mean? "the politically correct route".... It would help if you could articulate your views and not spouting these meaningless cliches.

As a life-long GAA player and fan, I'm delighted with this decision. It's the GAA once again leading the way and I couldn't be prouder of our organisation.

It's interesting that you are so proud but don't understand the term "gender culture". You'd make a good political bagman - absolutely loyalty to the cause but no awkward questions about policy or ideology to muddy the waters! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Powerhouse wrote: »
    It's interesting that you are so proud but don't understand the term "gender culture". You'd make a good political bagman - absolutely loyalty to the cause but no awkward questions about policy or ideology to muddy the waters! :D

Can you explain it so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

You still wouldnt write galway off yet , experience and all that

Can you explain it so?

Well, there wouldn't be a constitutionally watertight definition or anything like that, but loosely I would suggest it relates to the debates around the relevance of gender and especially notions that gender as a concept is fluid and subjective and that it is far removed from the binary world we have become accustomed to where there are just males and females.

If you do not understand the meanings - why do you describe my viewpoint as spouting meaningless cliches.

To make it clear to you again the GAA participation gives me cause for concern and I gave you some examples to highlight my worries.

Get in touch with GAA headquarters and ask them for the meaning of LGBTG and to explain themselves - I am sure they would be glad to accommodate you.

We have different opinions on this and we are entitled to express our worries about this development.

C__MC wrote: »
    You still wouldnt write galway off yet , experience and all that

Definitely couldn't write off Galway or judge them on one performance and obviously being down their star foward but I dunno if lads like flynn or cooney have stepped up.That group have being on the road a long time and looks tired at the moment although that match should stand to Glynn,cooney and daithi Burke but it has to be worrying for them with all the underage success that no real no comers have made a impression.Davey glennon has being coming on for years.

• Advertisement

I thought this was the Kilkenny GAA thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement