Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Did I write one word of a lie about Tipp while i fully understand your fear of the emerging Kilkenny talent.

Honestly what are you smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

2013 was up there with 2006 for kilkenny. I have never seen a team play with such ferocity and skill on that faithful day. Aidan fogarty points were clinically good as was cha and Tommy who hounded cork out of it. Noel hickey was like a man possessed. To top it all of, Cody's celebrated like a lunatic. Hard to believe cork have made one final since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭kksaints

C__MC wrote: »
    2013 was up there with 2006 for kilkenny. I have never seen a team play with such ferocity and skill on that faithful day. Aidan fogarty points were clinically good as was cha and Tommy who hounded cork out of it. Noel hickey was like a man possessed. To top it all of, Cody's celebrated like a lunatic. Hard to believe cork have made one final since

The 2006 final was probably one of the most intense hurling matches I can remember. Low scoring but seriously hard fought. Even though we had won 3 finals before 2006 this was the start of our golden era of dominance. No team was near us until Tipp in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

dzer2 wrote: »
    First come best dressed

There is a Leinster Club Final on before hand.
    What game is that Dzer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Joe Daly wrote: »
    It still lives in peoples mind that night it will never be forgotten , the night they thought they were going to finish us in the park.

if you think that a tipperary team that had lost its two previous championship games thought anything of the sort you are delusional. it was the worst tipperary team for six years and still kilkenny nearly had to burst a bloodvessel to beat them. when the loudest cheer was for a 34 year old player no longer first choice you knew that year would be short for kilkenny. theres a kind of mass delusion about that match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

i fully understand your fear of the emerging Kilkenny talent.

In fairness with all the minor & under 21 all irelands kilkenny have been racking up in recent years that fear is in all counties. the old arrogance is well founded. who even are these other counties anyway? normal service about to be resumed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Powerhouse wrote: »
    if you think that a tipperary team that had lost its two previous championship games thought anything of the sort you are delusional. it was the worst tipperary team for six years and still kilkenny nearly had to burst a bloodvessel to beat them. when the loudest cheer was for a 34 year old player no longer first choice you knew that year would be short for kilkenny. theres a kind of mass delusion about that match.

If they had to bust a blood vessel it was well worth it the week before kilkenny were totally written off Tipp came with an arrogance something like the way you try talk to people. As regards the thirty four year old player he was coming back from injury made his presence felt that night won all Ireland medals 2014, 2015, after that.

The year was short but Tipperary was shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Wally is in trouble stretcherd of at training looks bad ankle I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Wally is in trouble stretcherd of at training looks bad ankle I would say.

Hopefully not as bad but needless to say a huge loss.we have being very unlucky this year with injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Comerman wrote: »
    What game is that Dzer?

Semi finals to be played this weekend St Martins and Tulleroan are in one semi in Coan Saturday. Not sure who is in the other. But it was teams from Wexford, Offaly, Kilkenny and Laois that played in the league format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Are you from either county? Were you there? Sport is not simply about the game that is played or the consequences within the competition it is played in. Its about emotion and in some games due to history etc that emotion is heightened. While I don't believe Tipperary came convinced they were going to beat us, they definitely would have had serious motivation to do so outside of just getting to the next round. Both teams were punch drunk from 4 consecutive years of taking each other on. In our case we'd been in every final since 06. I knew going to that game we weren't going to win an All Ireland that year but I would've been sick if Tipp were to knock us out on our own patch. Regardless of Tipps belief about actually doing it we feared they would. And they feared another loss to us. The game was not high on quality but in terms of the occasion it was genuinely one of the best games I've ever been at. It was ****ing roasting, I was in two bloody hours ahead of the game to get a decent seat and in a hurling context KK and Tipp hated each other at that point so the atmosphere in the ground was tense as ****. Reducing Henry to "a 34 year old who wasn't even first choice" is a bizarre way of looking at something completely out of context and betrays the fact you're essentially just talking **** for the sake of it. And he started the game against Cork a few weeks later so not even first choice is simply wrong.

The Waterford game a week later was class as well. While we didn't make it past the quarters that year 2013 bizarrely gave more entertainment than some of the years we won it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Remember that night having a ticket for Ardan de Gras and a certain Co Board Official absolutely refusing me admission to Ardan de Breathnach( the brother's ticket was in Breathnach and himself and myself would have a kind of Symbiotic Analysis system) Prominent former Minor Manager was summoned to open the Gate at the corner of the angle and Cody's seats at the Loughlibs end of Breathnach secured.The amounf of "Tipp Types" with Ill fitting jerseys sideburns and "Plain Wives" "Atin Sangishes" added to the occasion.The fact that Kelly robbed us the next day made the occasion all the more special.That night was a fitting tribute to our greatest ever team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

dzer2 wrote: »
    Semi finals to be played this weekend St Martins and Tulleroan are in one semi in Coan Saturday. Not sure who is in the other. But it was teams from Wexford, Offaly, Kilkenny and Laois that played in the league format.

Mullinavat beat St Pats in the other semi last Saturday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Joe Daly wrote: »
    If they had to bust a blood vessel it was well worth it the week before kilkenny were totally written off Tipp came with an arrogance something like the way you try talk to people. As regards the thirty four year old player he was coming back from injury made his presence felt that night won all Ireland medals 2014, 2015, after that.

sorry now, but Kilkenny were not "totally written off". They had already beaten Tipp in the league final that year and were playing in Nowlan Park. Tipp had lost to Limerick and Kilkenny to Dublin, both shocks so both sides were hardly full of any arrogance. Any game between Tipp and Kilkenny is going to be tough and a 50-50 call. I'd argue to find any media outlet who wrote Kilkenny off or any Tipp player who showed anything of any sort of arrogance. Supporters talking crap doesnt count, that goes both ways for both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Did I write one word of a lie about Tipp while i fully understand your fear of the emerging Kilkenny talent.

How i wish i was near you in 2010, that day stopping the 5 in a row will never be beaten for tipp fans, its unlikely that scenario will ever happen again and thats what grates most kilkenny fans.I know ye wont admit that here but ye know im right.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Well, I've had a good chuckle reading some of the comments on this thread anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    How i wish i was near you in 2010, that day stopping the 5 in a row will never be beaten for tipp fans, its unlikely that scenario will ever happen again and thats what grates most kilkenny fans.I know ye wont admit that here but ye know im right.

Tipp fans should be ashamed to admit that stopping their greatest rival and supposed equal from achieving a five in a row, sneaking in just their second title in 15 year period where Kilkenny won 11 out of 15 championships, is their proudest achievement.

Tipp fans should be ashamed to admit that stopping their greatest rival and supposed equal from achieving a five in a row, sneaking in just their second title in 15 year period where Kilkenny won 11 out of 15 championships, is their proudest achievement.

I get your point but you know too well if roles were reversed ye would say the exact same thing, seeing them 5 in a row t-shirts and flags that day should make you understand where im coming from. Them kilkenny players will always remember that day when they could have became hurling immortals.

2014 replay went down well in kilkenny, 2010 it went down well in Tipperary spray paint must have been sold out as ye had Tipperary written on everything in kilkenny it seldom happened but it was like munster rugby when they were in there prime get into there faces about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

I get your point but you know too well if roles were reversed ye would say the exact same thing, seeing them 5 in a row t-shirts and flags that day should make you understand where im coming from. Them kilkenny players will always remember that day when they could have became hurling immortals.

They were and are hurling immortals[/B]

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Winning 6 All Irelands in 7 years is enough to make them hurling immortals. Speaking about the 2013 game. After we bet Tipp I honestly didn't care if we won the All Ireland that year. Knocking ye feckers out was enough to satisfy me for the year

No hurling immortals would be if they done what nobody else done and completed the 5 in a row, and like ye loved when ye knocked us out in 2013 especially, im sure ye can appreciate how satisfying it was to stop the 5 in a row. I guarantee that still niggles at cody and the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

No hurling immortals would be if they done what nobody else done and completed the 5 in a row, and like ye loved when ye knocked us out in 2013 especially, im sure ye can appreciate how satisfying it was to stop the 5 in a row. I guarantee that still niggles at cody and the players.

I've no doubt it was satisfying for Tipp people. Sure look it's great to have such a rivalry, it makes sport even better.

Not forgetting Henry's 10 nor Tyrell's and Delaney's 9,when the annals of the history of hurling are written they will go down as the greatest team of all time, how much more immortal do you want while Tipp lets be fair during the same period will go down as a side note and a fairly insignificant side note at that.

No henry will go down for having the most all irelands sure but all the rest is now subjective, if they had won the 5 in a row there would be no debate. That tipp team always be remembered fondly for stopping that 5 in a row whether you like it or not. As you argue that was the greatest team ever, well then that tipp team who is 2-3 Against the greatest team ever (as you say) in all-ireland finals which is a pretty good record and lest not forget in all Irelands tipp have a better head to head throughout history, but im sure you know that savannah.

No henry will go down for having the most all irelands sure but all the rest is now subjective, if they had won the 5 in a row there would be no debate. That tipp team always be remembered fondly for stopping that 5 in a row whether you like it or not. As you argue that was the greatest team ever, well then that tipp team who is 2-3 Against the greatest team ever (as you say) in all-ireland finals which is a pretty good record and lest not forget in all Irelands tipp have a better head to head throughout history, but im sure you know. that savannah.

They will be remembered the same way Offaly are remembered for stopping the Kerry 5 in a row. A side note and nothing more. I see your point though the 2 medals won by the Mahers , McGrtahs etc are worth the same as the 10 by henry, The nine by Tyrell and Delaney and the 8 won by too many to mention because they were won by Tipp and what is rare is precious.

Well actually the 2016 medal was a commemoration of 1916 so i suppose thats more valuable than any of henrys 10 because as you say whats rare is precious, forgot that thanks for reminding me Savannah, your a great help.

Lets look back at the Cody Era Kilkenny beat Tipp in 2002, 2003, 2009, 2011 2012 2013 2014 with of course that massive hammering dished out in 2012 4.24 to 1.15 the worst hiding Tipp ever got in the history of championship hurling and while Tipp won in 2009 and 2015, that is not a 3/2 ratio that is 7/2 ratio.Grasp at all the straws you like they are immortals and immortals for the right reasons..

• Advertisement

4-24 v 1-15 I could repeat it all day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement