Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Oh so why dont i go back further than 2002, tipp have a better championship record and final record versus kilkenny over the course of history. You just took a snippet of history to suit your argument. You cant argue with history i suppose so once again thanks for bringing that up.

Also since you like bringing up history how about 6-8 to 1-0 for tipp in the 1895 all ireland, i will let you do the maths and see what was the bigger margin of victory.
    Other one-sided victories in Tipperary's favour came in the 1887 All-Ireland final (4-7 to 0-00), the 1937 All-Ireland final (3-11 to 0-3) and the 1898 All-Ireland final (7-13 to 3-10)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Not forgetting Henry's 10 nor Tyrell's and Delaney's 9,when the annals of the history of hurling are written they will go down as the greatest team of all time, how much more immortal do you want while Tipp lets be fair during the same period will go down as a side note and a fairly insignificant side note at that.

If they had done the 5 in a row then they would go down as indisputably the best ever. Because others have fone 4 in a row it can be disputed. I think they are probably the best but I haven't seen the Cork 4 in a row and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This is pathetic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Who cares about Tipp? Any update on Wally's injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

BloodyBill wrote: »
    If they had done the 5 in a row then they would go down as indisputably the best ever. Because others have fone 4 in a row it can be disputed. I think they are probably the best but I haven't seen the Cork 4 in a row and never will.

Let me tell you the Cork 4 in a row team won one of them when Kilkeeny and Tipperary were barred from competing due to an outbreak of foot and mouth disease and Cork failed to win the Munster Championship the same year.

As regards going back on history we were referirng to the Kilkenny and Tipp during the Cody era where the record stands at 7/2 and 2012 remains 4-24 v 1-15

Let me tell you the Cork 4 in a row team won one of them when Kilkeeny and Tipperary were barred from competing due to an outbreak of foot and mouth disease and Cork failed to win the Munster Championship the same year.

As regards going back on history we were referirng to the Kilkenny and Tipp during the Cody era where the record stands at 7/2 and 2012 remains 4-24 v 1-15
    Well i was going on about the whole history not just the bit to suit my argument like you did. Thanks i was bored at work,i enjoyed filling in your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well I'm glad someone enjoyed it.

Have we any confirmation that the injury to Wally even happened? The initial post said they saw it at training ("so Wally is in trouble stretcherd of at training looks bad ankle I would say"), implying they were at the training session. No offence to that poster, but I'd need some corroboration to be honest. Would be a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Well I'm glad someone enjoyed it.

Have we any confirmation that the injury to Wally even happened? The initial post said they saw it at training ("so Wally is in trouble stretcherd of at training looks bad ankle I would say"), implying they were at the training session. No offence to that poster, but I'd need some corroboration to be honest. Would be a big loss.

Yes, can we have it clarified please. There is no open training therefore no poster, unless a poster is a panel member, could have witnessed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Jesus lads get a grip...
    There's no way the training sessions are opened so that poster obviously heard it from a player or someone involved.Hopefully it's not to bad.The kk people reporting that Joey is ready to go and scruff and Delaney well ahead of schedule.James Maher got a half last week and Buckley and hogan on the mend thanks be god.Hopefully we can get these lads back into the field soon.Two huge weekends coming up we'll need at least one win to keep our summer alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

I also heard Wally picked up an injury. Don’t know how serious tho and didn’t hear about a stretcher. As said two massive games coming up. We should be able to beat a struggling Galway without joe in our back garden. I’m more confident of a win vs them than against Wexford down there. Get lads back and get into a Leinster final.

brookville wrote: »
    Jesus lads get a grip...
    There's no way the training sessions are opened so that poster obviously heard it from a player or someone involved.Hopefully it's not to bad.The kk people reporting that Joey is ready to go and scruff and Delaney well ahead of schedule.James Maher got a half last week and Buckley and hogan on the mend thanks be god.Hopefully we can get these lads back into the field soon.Two huge weekends coming up we'll need at least one win to keep our summer alive.

Yes, read all that update in the People.

Any word on how the Under 20 panel is shaping up this year? Have they played any challenge games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

bruschi wrote: »
    sorry now, but Kilkenny were not "totally written off". They had already beaten Tipp in the league final that year and were playing in Nowlan Park. Tipp had lost to Limerick and Kilkenny to Dublin, both shocks so both sides were hardly full of any arrogance. Any game between Tipp and Kilkenny is going to be tough and a 50-50 call. I'd argue to find any media outlet who wrote Kilkenny off or any Tipp player who showed anything of any sort of arrogance. Supporters talking crap doesnt count, that goes both ways for both counties.

Is it your opinion or facts.

Any word on how the Under 20 panel is shaping up this year? Have they played any challenge games?

I know tipp bet us a few weeks ago in the annual challenge but we have a few nice hurlers this year hopefully we can win a few matches.Dj was saying it's hard get lads together with exams,club,college etc but it's the same for all counties.
    Mikey carey,Evan shefflin,brassill and Adrian mullen will have senior experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Joe Daly wrote: »

It's a fact, I backed Tipp at 2/1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Joe Daly wrote: »

show me any media outlet that wrote off Kilkenny. A quick google search for previews of the game were limited, but of 2 previews I found, both went for Kilkenny.

http://hoganstand.com/article/index/195981
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:prMabfGKQGsJ:https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/gaelic-games/63057/Battling-display-can-deliver-narrow-win.html+&cd=41&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

The narrative that Kilkenny were completely written off was not the case at all. Some thought it was the beginning of the end of them, they just lost to Dublin and thoughts were that a new guard were coming in. But as cliches go, you never write them off.

brookville wrote: »
    I know tipp bet us a few weeks ago in the annual challenge but we have a few nice hurlers this year hopefully we can win a few matches.Dj was saying it's hard get lads together with exams,club,college etc but it's the same for all counties.
    Mikey carey,Evan shefflin,brassill and Adrian mullen will have senior experience.

Does the same rule apply, or not, in hurling as in football whereby if a player plays for the senior team they're prohibited from playing for the Under 20 team?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Also since you like bringing up history how about 6-8 to 1-0 for tipp in the 1895 all ireland, i will let you do the maths and see what was the bigger margin of victory.
    Other one-sided victories in Tipperary's favour came in the 1887 All-Ireland final (4-7 to 0-00), the 1937 All-Ireland final (3-11 to 0-3) and the 1898 All-Ireland final (7-13 to 3-10)

Stop ,just stop will yaa.. :eek:
    You are embarrassing yourself now.
    Your obsession with Kilkenny is laughable , and your use of Wiki to try gain leverage for your 'argument' is childish really.

One in a row ? :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

It's amusing how many non Kilkenny posters are on here only too willing to post but contribute nothing on their own County thread. Can I just remind posters that both Kilkenny and Tipp have a long road to negotiate before they potentially meet again this summer. No guarantees that they will get that far. Galway is our focus and then Wexford.

So, any news on Wally?

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Stop ,just stop will yaa.. :eek:
    You are embarrassing yourself now.
    Your obsession with Kilkenny is laughable , and your use of Wiki to try gain leverage for your 'argument' is childish really.

One in a row ? :D

Just replying to savannah who has been having a pop at tipp in lots of posts for no reason. Even kilkenny lads are embarrassed about his posts. Anything i posted is factual it does not matter where it came from.

Grats wrote: »
    Does the same rule apply, or not, in hurling as in football whereby if a player plays for the senior team they're prohibited from playing for the Under 20 team?

Martin Keoghan & Bill Sheehan both played last year for U20's so I think & hope not. Personally I think this change to the grading system was pointless and unnecessary. It's s fact of life that some players will stop playing early anyway whether that be through interest, moving on in life or whatever.

If anything it will have the opposite effect as the more games a young player gets the better for their development as a player.

Martin Keoghan & Bill Sheehan both played last year for U20's so I think & hope not. Personally I think this change to the grading system was pointless and unnecessary. It's s fact of life that some players will stop playing early anyway whether that be through interest, moving on in life or whatever.

If anything it will have the opposite effect as the more games a young player gets the better for their development as a player.

I think it may not apply to hurling but you'd wonder why it should be different for football. Mike Harte expressed his annoyance over it just this week as it concerns some of his players. Kerry were in the same boat last year. Did it come about when the age limit was brought down to 20?

It doesn't apply to the hurling I'm nearly certain.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

As far as I'm aware hurling had a year to get used to the U20 age bracket and that this year the rule about playing senior disqualifying that player from playing at U20 has been brought into the hurling championship. Personally I think they have made a real balls of the regrading issue. Moving the minor to U17 has some merit as very few U17's will ever be doing their leaving. What they have done by bringing the U20 down is they've now brought 18 and 19 year old players into the centre of those squads the ages your most likely to be doing your leaving cert. If the moved the minor and left the U21 it would have made some sense. In effect give 18 year olds the year off from inter county duties as they would be too young to compete properly at U21.

Also by stopping a player like Mullen or back in the day Tommy Walsh or JJ Delaney you are denying some of the best young talent in the country from playing these games and by and large your talking 4 to 5 games to win an AI if their with a county senior panel they train with them and only go back to the U21 squad the week or so before a game. I think they totally missed the point of player being over worked it wasn't just the grading at county level, it's the demands at club, school and university/college. What they really need to put in place is a system where coaches have to talk to each other and that players can only do so many training sessions per week and the coaches have to agree who gets the player when.

They have made the U20 grade now one of theost irrelevant competitions by removing the very best players.

Adrian Mullen will be a big loss to DJ so.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Adrian Mullen was the Kilkenny ambassador for the u-20 championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    I get your point but you know too well if roles were reversed ye would say the exact same thing, seeing them 5 in a row t-shirts and flags that day should make you understand where im coming from. Them kilkenny players will always remember that day when they could have became hurling immortals.

They are hurling immortals - best team ever to play hurling - sorry I was late to the party!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Examiner June 2018

However, the biggest bonus hurling comes next year with the change from the U21 to U20 grade and an allowance for players to line out for both their county’s under-age and senior teams. Footballers, on the other hand, have largely been deprived of that dual status.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement