Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Examiner June 2018

However, the biggest bonus hurling comes next year with the change from the U21 to U20 grade and an allowance for players to line out for both their county’s under-age and senior teams. Footballers, on the other hand, have largely been deprived of that dual status.
    That was the situation last year, I was told hurling would follow football this year and not allow any U20 players who played senior take part in the U20 championship. Hopefully it's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Mullen and Brassil are on the U20 squad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

That was the situation last year, I was told hurling would follow football this year and not allow any U20 players who played senior take part in the U20 championship. Hopefully it's not the case.
    Senior players can definitely play u20, they'll probably end up changing the rule in football too as the current situation is mostly seen with opposition.

Last year with Wexford was farcical in the football they were in a round Robin group in leinster u20 2 players played off the senior panel played the 1st 2 games as they were unused subs in the leinster Senior football game against laois therefore eligible, in the Senior qualifiers against Waterford both came on as subs so were ineligible for the final round Robin game in u20 which was a do or die encounter. Both players actually ended up going to America for the summer after the Seniors were knocked out. Incidently 1 of them was Barry o'connor, son of George and 1st cousin of current hurlers Jack and rory o'connor

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Situation last year?? This is the first year of Under-20 hurling.
    The senior lads are available, though I believe they are not seeing much training with the Under-20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Minor and u21 were once great competitions. Most good county minors were starting for there clubs at u17 level and most hurling followers in Kilkenny would be watching out for them in the county minor and adult ranks again the following year. U 17 now is more or less like the old u 16 where players are to young for adult level. Old style was a lot easier to familiarize with players coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Tipp were mentally fragile in 2011 , 2014 , 2013
    When the going got tough, there big players hid. That's a fact. Let's not forget, they hadn't the composure to to 4 league finals either against the cats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Kilkenny were mentally fragile in 2010 and 2016, they hadn't the composure to win the the 5 in a row. when the going got tough they were found wanting. See what i did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

C__MC wrote: »
    When the going got tough, there big players hid. That's a fact. Let's not forget, they hadn't the composure to to 4 league finals either against the cats
    iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Kilkenny were mentally fragile in 2010 and 2016, they hadn't the composure to win the the 5 in a row. when the going got tough they were found wanting. See what i did there.

60268879.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Senior players can definitely play u20, they'll probably end up changing the rule in football too as the current situation is mostly seen with opposition.

Last year with Wexford was farcical in the football they were in a round Robin group in leinster u20 2 players played off the senior panel played the 1st 2 games as they were unused subs in the leinster Senior football game against laois therefore eligible, in the Senior qualifiers against Waterford both came on as subs so were ineligible for the final round Robin game in u20 which was a do or die encounter. Both players actually ended up going to America for the summer after the Seniors were knocked out. Incidently 1 of them was Barry o'connor, son of George and 1st cousin of current hurlers Jack and rory o'connor

Amazing story about George last Sunday in the sunday times, its good to see he came out the right side after a long struggle. Rivalry between counties is un real but when you hear something like that it brings everything into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hurleyrebel

With all due respect, some of the Tipp lads are a bit delusional.

It pains me to say it as a Corkman, but Kilkenny are easily the best team I have seen in my lifetime. From 2000-2015, what a conveyor belt of talent that was produced, not sure we'll see the likes of that again.

Let's be real here, Kilkenny have had the mental and physical edge over Tipp throughout most of this time, with the odd interruption. Kilkenny in particular from 2006-2012 had everything a great hurling team should have, loads of physical, mental strength, a ton of bottle, extreme hurling intelligence, an abundance of skill and a truly great manager.

The majority of teams were beaten during these years (Tipp included) before the first whistle was blown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

With little over a week to our crunch match against Galway what kind of changes or team would we like to see?Galway have only done enough so far but I'm sure things will be lifted for this match and they'll be out to prove they can do it without joe.Glynn and Cooney could both start and that game will stand to them.I think we are moving better than this time last year but unfortunately still very reliant on tj.The few returning injured lads should hopefully add strength to our panel.I hope he gives huw another go at full back and padraig at 6.Joey could push for a spot and hopefully cillian can make the bench.I haven't heard anything bout wallys injury since here the other night or that poster hasnt giving an update so hopefully it's not to bad and he will be for to play.
    Alan Murphy has being a success for us at midfield so hopefully he can keep it going.These next 2 matches will tell us more about where we are but I'm hopefull we're heading in the right direction.We're getting experience into a lot of younger lads that will hopefully stand to us down the line.Id just like to see a few more of the fowards trouble the scoreboard more over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

brookville wrote: »
    With little over a week to our crunch match against Galway what kind of changes or team would we like to see?Galway have only done enough so far but I'm sure things will be lifted for this match and they'll be out to prove they can do it without joe.Glynn and Cooney could both start and that game will stand to them.I think we are moving better than this time last year but unfortunately still very reliant on tj.The few returning injured lads should hopefully add strength to our panel.I hope he gives huw another go at full back and padraig at 6.Joey could push for a spot and hopefully cillian can make the bench.I haven't heard anything bout wallys injury since here the other night or that poster hasnt giving an update so hopefully it's not to bad and he will be for to play.
    Alan Murphy has being a success for us at midfield so hopefully he can keep it going.These next 2 matches will tell us more about where we are but I'm hopefull we're heading in the right direction.We're getting experience into a lot of younger lads that will hopefully stand to us down the line.Id just like to see a few more of the fowards trouble the scoreboard more over the next few weeks.

My friend was playing a Pro Am yesterday with Shane Lowry. Joe Canning was on the team ahead. My friend noticed Canning was walking very freely for a lad supposedly injured. He mentioned it to Lowry who says he was chatting to Joe in the dressing room beforehand. Joe said he doesn't understand the hysteria about him being out for so long, that he's aiming to be back for the Kilkenny game next weekend.

Was talking to a experienced coach last night and he reckoned Joe wouldn't be playing a Pro Am if he was that close to being back, which makes perfect sense.

Either way I'd say Joe won't be far away but probably won't start against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

That was an absolute shocking result last night for the minor footballers. It's embarrassing. I feel sorry for the lads involved. Why do we bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Jaysus Tipp are will take some stopping this year. It wont be us. Our backs wouldnt be able to live with the movement and accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Jaysus Tipp are will take some stopping this year. It wont be us. Our backs wouldnt be able to live with the movement and accuracy

No backs can. You have to stop it at source in their half back line and midfield.

They look class though. Great team to watch if you were colour blind and couldn't see what jersey they're wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

As much as tipp have been good and clinical care have been awful

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Clare even

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

mullinr2 wrote: »

Ah come on it's being 16 against about 10. Paudi Maher has being let away with anything pulled on a helmet in the first half and it was a free out. About 10 lads from Clare putting in a shift. Clare wouldn't be the best or very physical either. Reckon Limericks backs will be tighter ours by the time we would meet them would have a better look than at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Think it's Galway up next for us! We may never get to play against Tipp.

dzer2 wrote: »
    Ah come on it's being 16 against about 10. Paudi Maher has being let away with anything pulled on a helmet in the first half and it was a free out. About 10 lads from Clare putting in a shift. Clare wouldn't be the best or very physical either. Reckon Limericks backs will be tighter ours by the time we would meet them would have a better look than at the moment

Padraig Maher fouled four times one after another no yellow card, a long way to go yet.

• Advertisement

Any word on wally has he picked up a knock or how serious is it?has Colin recovered from his hamstring injury?Could cillian or Joey start.It would be great to get a win because I don't fancy heading to wexford looking for something.

brookville wrote: »
    Any word on wally has he picked up a knock or how serious is it?has Colin recovered from his hamstring injury?Could cillian or Joey start.It would be great to get a win because I don't fancy heading to wexford looking for something.

Be confident .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It was a decent week all round for Kilkenny clubs, and for the county too.

The big return was that of Kilkenny captain of last season, Cillian Buckley. He played his first match since last September when helping Dicksboro against Danesfort.
    He has been troubled by a knee injury for months. He did well, but he will need time to get back up to the speed of the inter-county game.
    Richie Hogan, who has been trouble by a back injury for ages, got through the full game with Danesfort. Again, he did well.

There was a surprise return for ankle injury victim James Maher with St Lachtain’s. He wasn’t expected back for weeks, but he played half a game and looked good, if short on fitness.

There was good news too concerning Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own). He didn’t see any on field action, but he has resumed running after a leg injury.
    He is weeks ahead on the recovery schedule, apparently. He has a way to go, but to be where is now is a big plus for player and county.

Walter Walsh (hamstring) and Alan Murphy (ankle) didn’t finish the most recent Leinster game against Carlow, but both saw action with their club and they got through it fine.

News surrounding Joey Holden (hamstring) is good too. He didn’t play for Ballyhale Shamrocks against James Stephens last week, but that was more precautionary than anything else. He is ready to go.

All-Star goalie, Eoin Murphy, has cast his crutches aside and is doing well as he works his way back from a broken bone in his leg. Again his recovery is ahead of schedule.

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/420598/trickle-of-players-back-from-injury-is-great-news-for-kilkenny.html

We need all fit, big test for our backs especially full back line the likes of Whelan and these lads will be a different test to what we had. Hopefully the forwards can click we need Wally he does a lot of work, hopefully we will come out with a win it wont be easy the best of luck to them.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    We need all fit, big test for our backs especially full back line the likes of Whelan and these lads will be a different test to what we had. Hopefully the forwards can click we need Wally he does a lot of work, hopefully we will come out with a win it wont be easy the best of luck to them.

Huge match no doubt.Should be a large crowd.Im hoping this is a match we had ear marked for a long time so hopefully we can get a very good performance.As we know we are difficult to beat at home but this year alot more home teams are losing.
    Not much talk from the camp which is hopefully a good thing.We really need to hope Colin and wally are both fit to go.With the injured lads back training hopefully good competition for places on the team and panel.if we could get everyone fit we have a good panel
    I'm sure Galway will be anxious to kick start their season after a sluggish start and even without joe we know how dangerous they can be.
    I feel like we're going well enough but I suppose we won't really know for 2 weeks but the positives are lads like aylward and Colin have being more consistent but hopefully we start to see a spread of scorers in attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

C__MC wrote: »

There is no doubt that sport is the pastime of the great unwashed and every downside of life will last longer there than anywhere else. In this day and age even with increased awareness of mental illness you still get this BS in sport about teams "bottling it" and that every defeat is a psychological meltdown.

You are talking about "facts"? "Fact" is that Tipperary struggled to get past Dublin in the 2011 semi-final. They were not playing well going into that final. Loss in that final was not about people hiding. More a matter of form. In 2013 Tipperary were outright poor - the lost to Limerick who were eventually annihilated by Clare. They lost to Kilkenny who couldn't beat Dublin in two attempts and managed just 0-5 from play in the replay. There was no mental illness involved.

In 2014 while Tipperary show decent enough form in the semi-final and final of the championship, they were halfway through that competition sitting on a record of having lost their last four championship games. To lose another in the final against a team which was winning the All Ireland nearly every year was just indicative of normal form I would have thought.

Sometimes teams are just not good enough. Not every defeat is due to mental weakness. One team wins the All Ireland every year. It doesn't mean every other team is mentally weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hi folks. Making the drive down from Galway to Nowlan for the first time. Plan is to hopefully be up before 12. Any suggestions for parking would be greatly appreciated (if we can support a local club with paid parking that would be great too).

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hi folks. Making the drive down from Galway to Nowlan for the first time. Plan is to hopefully be up before 12. Any suggestions for parking would be greatly appreciated (if we can support a local club with paid parking that would be great too).

Thanks!
    O loughlin gaels club is right next to the stadium and they have parking.

There is a couple of places st canices hospital , newpark shopping centre and was said o loughlins but it fills up quick, don't park in the lake view housing estate its only for private parking they are only waiting to clamp there is a sign up private parking be carefull because people have got caought.

• Advertisement

Any news on our returning injured lads?did anyone go racing today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement