Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Travelling to the game on Sunday, anybody know if theres a curtain raiser or just the 1 fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Travelling to the game on Sunday, anybody know if theres a curtain raiser or just the 1 fixture?

The Leinster club division one league final is on before, 11:45 throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

me89 wrote: »
    The Leinster club division one league final is on before, 11:45 throw in.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Massive match Sunday v Galway..

Losers go into the last week potentially facing elimination from the Leinster and all ireland competitions. How will Kilkenny line up,

Forwards showing up well the last 2 matches. I hope Cody sticks with Bill Sheehan for the next day.

Will Walter Walsh be fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    Massive match Sunday v Galway..

Losers go into the last week potentially facing elimination from the Leinster and all ireland competitions. How will Kilkenny line up,

Forwards showing up well the last 2 matches. I hope Cody sticks with Bill Sheehan for the next day.

Will Walter Walsh be fit
    Very little talk coming from the camp but Cody should have his biggest hand to deal with yet.Joey and Buckley could be options in defence and hogan in attack.We really need to try go get the win we have a good chance with Galway maybe down their best foward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

brookville wrote: »
    Very little talk coming from the camp but Cody should have his biggest hand to deal with yet.Joey and Buckley could be options in defence and hogan in attack.We really need to try go get the win we have a good chance with Galway maybe down their best foward.
    Was told by a BH man that Cody wouldn't let Joey play against the village so he may have plans for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Ardán de Grás tickets are selling very fast according to kkgaa twitter.

Hopefully there’s a bumper crowd there Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Can you turn up on the day with your season ticket or do you print it off before?

blackcard wrote: »
    Can you turn up on the day with your season ticket or do you print it off before?

They take the money from ur account during the week and just scan your card on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

If we can't beat this Galway team in it's current form at home, we have no business going any further in this competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

citykat wrote: »
    If we can't beat this Galway team in it's current form at home, we have no business going any further in this competition.

Current form as of two weeks ago against Wexford won't have any bearing on next Sunday.

citykat wrote: »

I see where your coming from but that is dangerous enough talk because we certainly have problems of our own.Galway haven't being going great and possibly are on the slide but we mustn't forget they lost last years final by a point despite only coming to life in the last few minutes.Sone serious hurlers like the burkes,mannions on their day,Conor Whelan and Glynn will cause problems.I have no doubt Galway will seriously lift it for this one but I would be hopefull we get a big response from our lads Sunday and try send out a message that we can be contenders.The draw has fallen nicely enough for us we've had 2 weeks to prepare for them and thankfully lads are starting to return.
    Scruff speaking today for sky said his a few weeks away so we won't have him.delaney could be the same but Joey,Buckley and hogan could play a part and Maher needs to get his fitness up.
    I heard wally could be in trouble but hopefully Colin is available.We will probably see a few changes anyway.Hopefully Lawlor plays but this is going to be our biggest test to date as I'm sure Glynn and Whelan will target out full back line.I'm hoping for a good performance and a few more of our fowards to stand up and take a bit of pressure off tj but if wally is out it does leave a hole.

I see where your coming from but that is dangerous enough talk because we certainly have problems of our own.Galway haven't being going great and possibly are on the slide but we mustn't forget they lost last years final by a point despite only coming to life in the last few minutes.Sone serious hurlers like the burkes,mannions on their day,Conor Whelan and Glynn will cause problems.I have no doubt Galway will seriously lift it for this one but I would be hopefull we get a big response from our lads Sunday and try send out a message that we can be contenders.The draw has fallen nicely enough for us we've had 2 weeks to prepare for them and thankfully lads are starting to return.
    Scruff speaking today for sky said his a few weeks away so we won't have him.delaney could be the same but Joey,Buckley and hogan could play a part and Maher needs to get his fitness up.
    I heard wally could be in trouble but hopefully Colin is available.We will probably see a few changes anyway.Hopefully Lawlor plays but this is going to be our biggest test to date as I'm sure Glynn and Whelan will target out full back line.I'm hoping for a good performance and a few more of our fowards to stand up and take a bit of pressure off tj but if wally is out it does leave a hole.

Galway have been dreadful all year. They will really need a big performance to come away from Nowlan Park with the win. Kilkenny getting in good shape with injured players close to returning and fighting for places

Galway have a more settled team than Kilkenny. Their year hasn't taken off yet but the hurling year really only takes off now. There are too many ifs around the Kilkenny team to feel any way confident of defeating Galway. Had we Buckley, Murphy, Delaney and Maher on board I'd be very confident. They're all making progress but unlikely to be involved this weekend. Hopefully the players step up from previous performances, they'll need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

I think this game will tell a lot about us now if we can’t win this week it could be a bad year ahead but I do think we will win. Nowlan park might suit Galway abit better and I’ve no doubt we’ll be tested as the game against Wexford will bring on burke cooney and glynn. Our full back line will be tested properly for the first time and whealan will fancy his chances on either of our corner backs and id suspect glynn to start at 14 to test out lawor. Galways midfield looked leggy against Wexford and leahy and Murphy have plenty of legs but I wouldn’t be surprised to see mannion back in midfield where he was previously lording it. These next 2 games will tell a lot about us and I’m interested to see how younger lads who’ve been around a few years now go. Hopefully Colin makes it, he did very well on Burke last year in the second Leinster final off the bench. Walter would be a huge loss if he can’t make it but with home advantage, two weeks preparation and them without a top free taker I think we’ll win. Team I’d play.

Brennan
    Murphy lawor walsh
    Fogerty Walsh cleere
    Leahy Murphy
    Mullen tj Donnelly
    Alyward fennelly hogan.

So according to the Kilkenny People, Eoin Murphy, Conor Delaney, Cillian Buckley, James Maher and Robert Lennon won't be contenders for this match or for a while yet. Colin Fennelly also doubtful. May get 30 minutes from Richie Hogan. Injuries have plagued Kilkenny over the last few years.
    I would go with the following team
    Brennan
    Murphy Lawlor Walsh
    Fogarty Walsh Cleere
    Murphy Leahy
    Walsh TJ Mullen
    Ryan Blanchfield Aylward

Yea according to John Knox Joey was in line to start against Dublin.He could slot in somewhere this weekend.I wouldn't rule out Buckley making the bench at least.Colin it says isn't a 100 percent and might not be risked but no mention of wally so we really won't know till Friday night what the story will be.He also says canning is 4-6 weeks away while the examiner said today he could be a surprise inclusion this weekend.We already knew scruff and Delaney aren't far away and Maher needs to get up his fitness while Lennon is long term
    We have plenty of positives so far padraig moved out from full back despite the injuries we had,aylward getting a bit of form.Tommy going well corner back.colin adding a bit of consistency to his game.Tj continuing his good form.
    Surprising he hasn't used mossy,Donnelly or Browne as much as I thought.Its a pity Darren Mullen has being injured I would of liked to have seen him.Very intelligent hurler.Hopefully Adrian can put in a good shift sunday

I wouldn't be as optimistic as some on here. You are basically missing 5 starters and then you have Richie Hogan lacking match fitness also

blackcard wrote: »
    I wouldn't be as optimistic as some on here. You are basically missing 5 starters and then you have Richie Hogan lacking match fitness also

Richie has being lacking fitness since 2016 this will probably be his last year and will be more of an impact player this year you would expect.
    We won't really know till Sunday where we are and how much we're missing the likes of scruff.This will be our biggest test to date despite them not going as well as usual Galway were 7 up at one stage against wexford drove a few wides to close it out then hung on at the end for a lucky draw.
    I don't think there's many around the county cocky but from talking to a few the lads we mightnt get a good a chance to beat Galway.we have had time to prepare.Buckley and hogan got club action.Joey is back.We have a good record at home and Galway just aren't going as well yet and look to be down joe so if we really want to be considered contenders we need to try get a win but it's obviously going to be very difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ardán de Grás tickets are selling very fast according to kkgaa twitter.

Hopefully there’s a bumper crowd there Sunday.

Is there seating numbers for Sunday or first in best seat

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »

Unreserved seating.expecting 15 thousand so should be a good atmosphere hopefully it's a nice day.

Stories coming from the Galway camp about a rift between players and management. Not surprised with the performance they delivered v Waterford in the League Semi Final and against Carlow and Wexford in the Leinster championship.

We may be prepared for a backlash so! When things aren't going great, you hear all kinds of rumours of unrest etc. When you're winning, the rumours disappear rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Grats wrote: »
    We may be prepared for a backlash so! When things aren't going great, you hear all kinds of rumours of unrest etc. When you're winning, the rumours disappear rapidly.

When you're winning, the rumours are normally "I heard player X is absolutely flying in training".

These GAA rumours are ridiculously silly stuff most of the time

Robson99 wrote: »

Ardan de gras now sold out.people maybe afraid of the weather but should be a good atmosphere around the place I'm really looking forward to this one.It would be great to get the win and we could then go to wexford park with no pressure.according to local reports we will only have Joey returning from the last match.There has being no report of wallys injury and Colin is rated 50-50.That injury takes time but hopefully he will be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Walter unavailable.

Walter unavailable.

That's a shame. Another player lost to injury. Can't see any of those recovered/recovering from injury starting. Billy Ryan in for Wally and no other changes from the Carlow match. Perhaps Joey, Buckley and Hogan are up to contributing something if required. The main thing now is to stay in the championship until we get the injured players back on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Walter unavailable.

Link?

Walter unavailable.

Heard earlier this week it was unlikely he was going to make it.Hopefully Colin makes it.If wally is out hopefully who ever comes in puts in a good performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Village87 wrote: »
    Stories coming from the Galway camp about a rift between players and management. Not surprised with the performance they delivered v Waterford in the League Semi Final and against Carlow and Wexford in the Leinster championship.

If that's true, you'd have to wonder WTF is going on. The management team and players have been hugely successful. They delivered their first All-Ireland win since 1988 in 2017 and one point away from doing two in a row last year despite only waking up for 10 mins. Surely they should have trust in each other as they are capable of being in the mix again this year.

I felt Cunningham did quite well with them before that and also had a rift between him and the players.

Anyway, it's an important game for us, so hopefully some lads can step up again. Tommy Walsh seems to be growing into the role but it's going to be a serious test against Conor Whelan. Hard to know what Galway team will turn up. I feel that Glynn will start and he's a big plus to them.

We definitely don't want to be going to Wexford park on the last day needing a win. If we can get to a quarter or semi final with the likes of Murphy, Delaney, Buckley, etc back fit, we're right in the mix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement