Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

v3ttel wrote: »
    If that's true, you'd have to wonder WTF is going on. The management team and players have been hugely successful. They delivered their first All-Ireland win since 1988 in 2017 and one point away from doing two in a row last year despite only waking up for 10 mins. Surely they should have trust in each other as they are capable of being in the mix again this year.

I felt Cunningham did quite well with them before that and also had a rift between him and the players.

Without wanting to attract the ire of Galway folk, lets be honest this has been par for the course for Galway since the 80's really with the very rare exception, there is a terrible club divide in Galway, similar to that in Waterford that makes it very difficult to have harmony among a panel and invariably when a result or two goes against you it raises its head again.

Outside of that then there is the last 3 years which has to have taken its toll physically, the game has evolved so much in the last ten years that it is going to be very very difficult to stay at the top for anymore that a year or two unless you have a once in a gneration, iconic set of players like KK had. Galway look tired both physically and emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Same team as Carlow game with Billy Ryan starting centre forward instead of Wally who is out injured - rumours were true.

Bill Sheehan has somehow survived. Joey, Maher and Buckley named on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Without wanting to attract the ire of Galway folk, lets be honest this has been par for the course for Galway since the 80's really with the very rare exception, there is a terrible club divide in Galway, similar to that in Waterford that makes it very difficult to have harmony among a panel and invariably when a result or two goes against you it raises its head again.

Outside of that then there is the last 3 years which has to have taken its toll physically, the game has evolved so much in the last ten years that it is going to be very very difficult to stay at the top for anymore that a year or two unless you have a once in a gneration, iconic set of players like KK had. Galway look tired both physically and emotionally.

emm... no, not really, no more than any other county. Days of club divisions in Galway are long gone.

1. D Brennan

2. P Murphy
    3. H Lawlor
    4. T Walsh

5. C Fogarty
    6. P Walsh
    7 P Deegan

8. A Murphy
    9. R Leahy

10. A Mullen
    11. B Ryan
    12 TJ Reid

13. B Sheehan
    14. C Fennelly
    15. G Aylward

R Reid J Holden J Cleere E Morrissey C Browne C Buckley R Hogan L Blanchfield J Donnelly J Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Same team as Carlow game with Billy Ryan starting centre forward instead of Wally who is out injured - rumours were true.

Bill Sheehan has somehow survived. Joey, Maher and Buckley named on the bench.

I for one ain't one bit surprised that Bill Sheehan gets the nod. He obviously showed up well in training prior to the Carlow match, did very well in that and most likely has contiued to impress. Good to see James Maher back also.

• Advertisement

Grats wrote: »
    I for one ain't one bit surprised that Bill Sheehan gets the nod. He obviously showed up well in training prior to the Carlow match, did very well in that and most likely has contiued to impress. Good to see James Maher back also.

I respectfully disagree. I didn't think he did a whole like against Carlow - whose backs are by far the worst in this championship. He just does not have the power to get away from his man at this level and simply does not score enough.

I think we have far better options available - ones more suited to playing Galway at that. I think he has been given a few chances in the last 2 years without ever convincing. I would slightly fear for him to be honest on Sunday but hope I am wrong and he scores 3-4 and gets MOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭blackcard

No point in sending in high ball into that full forward line, hopefully we get in fast low ball and let them run at Galway. Nice to see Buckley, Holden and Maher in the subs

blackcard wrote: »
    No point in sending in high ball into that full forward line, hopefully we get in fast low ball and let them run at Galway. Nice to see Buckley, Holden and Maher in the subs

We sent in good ball against Carlow in the first half but more or less abandoned it in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭blackcard

10 of the Galway starting team that started the 2015 All Ireland are named in the 15 for Galway on Sunday with 2 of their subs from that final also on the team to start. Galway will be missing Joe Canning from the 2015 team along with Andy Smith and Iarla Tannion neither of which were particularly loved by Kilkenny.
    Kilkenny will have 6 starters from the 2015 team. 3 of the Kilkenny subs on Sunday, Joey Holden, Cillian Buckley and Richie Hogan would probably have started if they were fully fit. Walter Walsh and Eoin Murphy from the 2015 team would also be starting but for injuries

I think Galway will win Sunday. Too much has been made of their patchy form so far in my opinion and I think we will see a response unfortunately. Do we not remember the pastings we got in Salthill and Thurles last year? These are the same sets of players with Adrian Mullen being the only addition from last year.

In addition I think so much has been of our so called resurgence which in reality equates to a decent second half showing against Dublin. League form was pretty poor overall. The team looks a bit patchy and lack a serious scoring threat. It's hard to see any of the 5 forwards outside of TJ contribute more than one or at best two scores from play against a very good set of backs like what Galway have. Hard to see us getting more than 20 points and Galway should easily reach this, particularly if their forwards dominate our backs like they did last year.

Big question marks surround this team and its make up. Do we really have the best 6 set of scoring forwards available in the county lining out on Sunday? Has Cody really gotten the best from players like Jason Cleere who should really be pushing on at this stage? Is John Walsh not worthy of a place on the county panel, even team ahead of someone like Sheehan? Why has Blanchfield been suddenly shoved out despite displaying probably his best club form since hoing the panel? Same re John Donnelly. Why wasn't Richie Reid considered as an outfield option?

My tone may be negative but I think we are in for a major reality check on Sunday which will leave us in a very precarious position going down to wexford park next week. As with all Cody teams I'm sure they will put up a manful fight Sunday but I personally can only see one outcome. Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Not a bad post to be honest but I think you might be a little hard on kk.I do expect Galway to lift it Sunday and to be honest I'd be fearful of Glynn and Whelan especially with Lawlor and tommy 2 rookies and Brennan in the goal.All good players but just starting out.
    From the outside looking in it does look like we've improved a bit from last year granted it's early yet while Galway have only barely done enough but as we all know we won't know where we are or what we have till Sunday evening.We do have question marks players no doubt.2 new midfielders and 3 young inexperienced fowards.We will need tj and Colin to do a lot of the heavy lifting but we know Colin won't get much change from Burke and tj probably be man marked.
    If we leave the likes of cathal mannion run around free he will go to town and throw over 4 or 5 points handy enough.
    Billy Ryan must of being going well in training I thought he went back a bit during the league.Its surprising that given the game time Donnelly and blanch got last year there both getting less game time.
    We do have a few options on the bench Sunday so hopefully they can come on and give us a lift but wally is a huge loss it's a pity.
    Still no Kevin kelly,scanlon or brassil on the panel if we could get all the injured lads back I do think we could be there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

1. D Brennan

2. P Murphy
    3. H Lawlor
    4. T Walsh

5. C Fogarty
    6. P Walsh
    7 P Deegan

8. A Murphy
    9. R Leahy

10. A Mullen
    11. B Ryan
    12 TJ Reid

13. B Sheehan
    14. C Fennelly
    15. G Aylward

R Reid, J Holden, J Cleere, E Morrissey, C Browne, C Buckley, R Hogan, L Blanchfield, J Donnelly, J Maher

With Buckley, Hogan, Holden (who I rate very highly) and Maher all proven performers at this level this is a very strong subs bench. if they play as selected the selection of Billy Ryan at center forward is probably the most crucial selection of all. If he plays well than a lot of options open up for Kilkenny . Galway will most certainly try to disrupt him as early as possible. He can be prepared for a fairly tough time but then again if he aint up for it he should not be there. Others like Leahy, Murphy, Lawlor, Sheehan Mullen and T Walsh are still a bit unproven. They have to stand up and prove themselves in this match. They have the talent now lets see if they have the bottle because that is all they need..

I think Galway will win Sunday. Too much has been made of their patchy form so far in my opinion and I think we will see a response unfortunately. Do we not remember the pastings we got in Salthill and Thurles last year? These are the same sets of players with Adrian Mullen being the only addition from last year.

In addition I think so much has been of our so called resurgence which in reality equates to a decent second half showing against Dublin. League form was pretty poor overall. The team looks a bit patchy and lack a serious scoring threat. It's hard to see any of the 5 forwards outside of TJ contribute more than one or at best two scores from play against a very good set of backs like what Galway have. Hard to see us getting more than 20 points and Galway should easily reach this, particularly if their forwards dominate our backs like they did last year.

Big question marks surround this team and its make up. Do we really have the best 6 set of scoring forwards available in the county lining out on Sunday? Has Cody really gotten the best from players like Jason Cleere who should really be pushing on at this stage? Is John Walsh not worthy of a place on the county panel, even team ahead of someone like Sheehan? Why has Blanchfield been suddenly shoved out despite displaying probably his best club form since hoing the panel? Same re John Donnelly. Why wasn't Richie Reid considered as an outfield option?

My tone may be negative but I think we are in for a major reality check on Sunday which will leave us in a very precarious position going down to wexford park next week. As with all Cody teams I'm sure they will put up a manful fight Sunday but I personally can only see one outcome. Thoughts?

Despite what is being said Canning is a major loss for Galway. He has been head and shoulders their best player for ever and a day and it was nearly always he who brought them out of tough situations. He is and will be sorely missed by Galway as even his sheer presence lifts them. As for Kilkenny the Likes of Billy Ryan, Ritchie Leahy, Billy Sheehan Alan Murphy may be the same names as last year but they are all a year older a very important year at this stage of their development. It was men against boys last year I doubt very much it will be so this year. The extra years training under Cody is invaluable. Tommy Walsh and Huw lawlor have been great additions to the squad. lawlor definitely wont be found wanting this guy just does not have potential he is actually displaying it for all to see and has been ever time he has been picked. Tommy Walsh has been getting better and better all year and all we need is for him to continue doing so. Waltar and Scruff are big losses but i think we will still take this one by 6 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

A few on here are wondering why the likes of Donnelly, Blanchfield and "John Walsh" aren't getting a go ahead of the likes of Bill Sheehan and Billy Ryan. Well I think it's fairly obvious, and particularly after talking to two of the backroom team over their U21 run to the AI two years ago.

Firstly John Walsh, he is undoubtedly brilliant on his day and unplayable when he's on form, however he's Achilles heel is his lack of consistency and that seems to come from his temperament. He's a lively lad and doesn't appear to be able to focus on what's needed to make it at the top level, at the moment. Hopefully he matures and we see him called back in.

Blanchfield, Donnelly and I would include Mossy in this, haven't pushed on this year. The U21 lads told me they would do everything that was asked of them but at this level you need to be going out and doing loads more on your own to build your stamina and fitness up. I don't think the 3 of them have, especially compared to Sheehan and Ryan.

Sheehan has bulked up his small frame a good bit and for a lad who spent the winter and the league with a broken hand he must be really impressing to be getting his place. He set up at least 2-3 against Carlow and that's something we've been missing, a player who can take a ball draw players too him and then release the ball to the man in a better position to score. The other thing Bill brings is massive workrate and I can vouch for that knowing the Boro's stats as I do.

Billy Ryan was poor enough in the league but I think he was working very hard behind the scenes and is reaping the benefits now. He has been very good in the few club games I saw him play and brought a real impetus to the forward line when he came on against Carlow at a time when the forwards were struggling to get back into the game after Carlow's strong start to the second half. I would say Billy is being put in CF to bring McInerney on a tour of Nowlan Park and to run at him that's how teams have exposed him in the last year or so. If you put TJ or a fit Wally in there it just turns into a arm wrestle and a back wants that all day long, he can slow the play down until back up arrives. I would expect Billy to be tearing out to the wings and if McInerney doesn't follow him then we have men over on that wing. I also expect him to drift into midfield and take up ball there occasionally and then run at McInerney, result should be a foul or a score.

I can see it being high scoring if the Galway forwards can get their radar straight, unlike their match against Wex. Galway will definitely cause our backs issues but if they play like they did against Wexford we should beat them. However they should be very pumped up and determined to get a result otherwise they will have to go to Parnell Park and beat Dublin and that's not easy for anyone especially a team that will have stuttered through the round robin if we win.

I think it will be close but I would be hopefully our bench can push us on when the game is in the melting pot with 15 to go. I would say we should win by 2-5 points in the end (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Surely Ryan goes corner forward and Aylward plays centre forward like the start of the league before he got injured? Aylward plays as a Richie Hogan lite centre forward dropping into midfield and delivering to the full forward line? That's what I thought would happen when I seen the team

I stand by what I said about Sheehan, he just doesn't cut it for me at this level. He was physically bullied out of it by the Galway U20 team last year where he didn't get a sniff of it and failed to score(again). I don't see him giving Hambury, Harte or whoever ends up marking him too many problems.

I just think we have much better options available and would expect to see them as the game unfolds. I don't buy what your saying about Donnelly and Blanchfields "attitude" either. These guys are in training every night so is it not incumbent on the management team to tell them what is required?

My theory on Sheehan is that they are trying to find goal scorers from somewhere but these things can't be manufactured. I can see things going wrong early on in this game with another major positional reshuffle like what we saw v Dublin before the game is out.

Surely Ryan goes corner forward and Aylward plays centre forward like the start of the league before he got injured? Aylward plays as a Richie Hogan lite centre forward dropping into midfield and delivering to the full forward line? That's what I thought would happen when I seen the team

No I think they will start as they are listed. Ryan plays centre forward for his club where he seems to thrive on the space a bit better. His direct running style could cause Galway problems and it is a move that I thought might happen if the Wally injury rumour was true. On that- has anything been confirmed on how serious that injury is?

I stand by what I said about Sheehan, he just doesn't cut it for me at this level. He was physically bullied out of it by the Galway U20 team last year where he didn't get a sniff of it and failed to score(again). I don't see him giving Hambury, Harte or whoever ends up marking him too many problems.

I just think we have much better options available and would expect to see them as the game unfolds. I don't buy what your saying about Donnelly and Blanchfields "attitude" either. These guys are in training every night so is it not incumbent on the management team to tell them what is required?

My theory on Sheehan is that they are trying to find goal scorers from somewhere but these things can't be manufactured. I can see things going wrong early on in this game with another major positional reshuffle like what we saw v Dublin before the game is out.

What I'm saying about Donnelly et al is that they turn up to training and do everything that is required they do the gym program etc. However for young lads to get up to the required level they have to be doing more work themselves. The likes of TJ, Paul Murphy, Wally, Padraig have the work in the bank they have built it up and are keeping it topped up all the way along it doesn't seem to have clicked with some of the younger lads that they have to do more. Maybe their doing it now but the evidence would suggest their not or they've started to late this was something to be done over the winter.

Mossy and Donnelly in particular look bet after about 10 to 15 mins on the pitch. If you compare them to the Limerick lads who are the same age they're way behind the curve on the stamina front. An interview with Ger Aylward after he won his All star showed what was required he quietly went to Dempsey and asked for more work to do the winter before, he went away and did months of work before the panel meet up for the season. He was doing extra sessions through the early part of the season and when he eased off on it, his season took off. The two Bill's are in their because they have the right attitude. Is Donnelly a better hurler than either of them, no doubt, he has fabulous wrists and touch, he can score brilliant points from any angle but is he able to go at the intercounty pace for 70mins not on what I've seen.

Not going to try and convince you on Sheehan again, you have your mind made up and you wouldn't be alone, but I have faith in Bill if we deliver the right ball into him he will cause anyone trouble. The only part of his game I think needs tightening up is his striking of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

What I'm saying about Donnelly et al is that they turn up to training and do everything that is required they do the gym program etc. However for young lads to get up to the required level they have to be doing more work themselves. The likes of TJ, Paul Murphy, Wally, Padraig have the work in the bank they have built it up and are keeping it topped up all the way along it doesn't seem to have clicked with some of the younger lads that they have to do more. Maybe their doing it now but the evidence would suggest their not or they've started to late this was something to be done over the winter.

Mossy and Donnelly in particular look bet after about 10 to 15 mins on the pitch. If you compare them to the Limerick lads who are the same age they're way behind the curve on the stamina front. An interview with Ger Aylward after he won his All star showed what was required he quietly went to Dempsey and asked for more work to do the winter before, he went away and did months of work before the panel meet up for the season. He was doing extra sessions through the early part of the season and when he eased off on it, his season took off. The two Bill's are in their because they have the right attitude. Is Donnelly a better hurler than either of them, no doubt, he has fabulous wrists and touch, he can score brilliant points from any angle but is he able to go at the intercounty pace for 70mins not on what I've seen.

Not going to try and convince you on Sheehan again, you have your mind made up and you wouldn't be alone, but I have faith in Bill if we deliver the right ball into him he will cause anyone trouble. The only part of his game I think needs tightening up is his striking of the ball.

The last paragraph is what people are worried about. In the first few minutes they fed bill and he cut carlow open, I think if he gets the ball low tomorrow he could cut galway up and set up goal chances.

Problem is if we are struggling our lads will lamp ball in with snow on it and this will suit most backs, other problem is his striking as you said.

I'm happy he is playing that being said with the hope that we have a plan to feed him if that makes sense. More pace we have the better and his touch seems to be top class.

Wouldn't make assumptions on what lads are doing and aren't doing, in fairness donnelly has lost serious timber in last few years, blanchfield looks bit leaner in terms of bulk and muscle which helps and I did notice bill had bulked up.

Donnelly and blanchfield aren't consistent but they have performed on a few occasions but aren't making team as you never know what to expect. It is bills chance now and he needs to take it.

I for one won't write him off until we see him get a run of games when the pressure is on. Same with the other two, but the positive is they are all young and will hopefully play big part in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

for me tomorrow all the younger newer players need to fullfill their promise.sheehan ryan mullin walsh etc need to show they can cut it at this level.colin tj and to a lesser extent ger have been there done that,the others need to step up.on another note best bench we have had in along time.

• Advertisement

The last paragraph is what people are worried about. In the first few minutes they fed bill and he cut carlow open, I think if he gets the ball low tomorrow he could cut galway up and set up goal chances.

Problem is if we are struggling our lads will lamp ball in with snow on it and this will suit most backs, other problem is his striking as you said.

I'm happy he is playing that being said with the hope that we have a plan to feed him if that makes sense. More pace we have the better and his touch seems to be top class.

Wouldn't make assumptions on what lads are doing and aren't doing, in fairness donnelly has lost serious timber in last few years, blanchfield looks bit leaner in terms of bulk and muscle which helps and I did notice bill had bulked up.

Donnelly and blanchfield aren't consistent but they have performed on a few occasions but aren't making team as you never know what to expect. It is bills chance now and he needs to take it.

I for one won't write him off until we see him get a run of games when the pressure is on. Same with the other two, but the positive is they are all young and will hopefully play big part in the future

True I am making assumptions on what the Donnelly, Blanch and Mossy are doing. I'm working off old information of what they were like when they were U21 but the thing is the evidence supports the theory (and it's only that) that they haven't done enough extra work.

Of the 3 Blanchfield is definitely in the best shape and I think he's missing out because of Colins form and his slight drop in form, he didn't do very well when he replaced Colin against Carlow.

Donnelly was good when he came on against Carlow but this is the usual for him, he does well when other players are tired. When he starts he does ok too but doesn't last 70 playing well and just doesn't have the stamina that others his age have.

Mossy for me is at the back of the pack in terms of stamina. I think Mossy could be a new John Power (John Lockes) hard running type player who will cause defences all sorts of trouble, he is a year younger than the others but I don't think he's progressed on from last year and maybe his injury earlier in the year is hampering him.

I was expecting and hoping Donnelly and Mossy would both have pushed on this year and for me their exactly where they were last year in the physical stakes and others have moved on so they miss out. I'm not saying their lazy or bad hurlers or questioning their commitment. I just don't think they've realised the level of work needed to get to the top table. If they get to the fitness of the others I would expect them to nail down starting berths, particularly Donnelly.

The last thing I'll contribute to the debate is that Blanchfield had a problem with a finger over the last six weeks or so. I believe that might explain his poor touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

It does take some players a few years to realise what is required, look at the interviews TJ gave outlining how he nearly gave up but something clicked in 2014 that he needed to work even harder. So you maybe right but these are young players and they will develop or realise what is needed at different times. I wouldn't for a second question their commitment.

It could also be argued that if you aren't a natural athlete that as well as doing the extra work a bank of the actual training is also required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Adrian tuohy listed in the fowards for galway I wonder will he be detailed to man mark tj.We really need a good performance from our fowards tomorrow.Hopefully huw and tommy go will this will be a huge test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

brookville wrote:
    Adrian tuohy listed in the fowards for galway I wonder will he be detailed to man mark tj.We really need a good performance from our fowards tomorrow.Hopefully huw and tommy go will this will be a huge test.

Could see Tuohy to 4, Harte to 7 and J. Cooney to half forward. Or leave it as named. Tbf Tuohy plays out the field for club and is more than comfortable out there. Depending on where TJ plays I'd say he will be picked up my P. Mannion, Mc or Daithi if he roams in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

blackcard wrote: »
    Kilkenny will have 6 starters from the 2015 team. 3 of the Kilkenny subs on Sunday, Joey Holden, Cillian Buckley and Richie Hogan would probably have started if they were fully fit. Walter Walsh and Eoin Murphy from the 2015 team would also be starting but for injuries

Interesting to consider that Kilkenny might have been starting 11 of the 2015 team. Puts some context on the newer players and the extent of their impact.

There is little doubt that if Galway get back the sort of form they produced in the Leinster Final replay last year Kilkenny do not have the ammunition to stop them. But, and it's a big but, Galway's recent form has been way off that standard and that's leaving aside Canning missing.

I wonder what if any effect Ballyhale's destruction of St Thomas's has left in the Galway psyche. It was an utter and complete rout of the best club in Galway and done by a very very young Ballyhale team. Now it is easy to say club is different to county and while that is obvious there never the less has to question marks in the mind of the Galway men, if their best can be so utterly destroyed and conversely the opposite in the Kilkenny camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

With the greatest respect I think that will count for nothing.

Tough game to call. Agree with the consensus that the lesser lights will have to step up collectively which is always easier said than done. Hope the training has been physical because Galway as always, will flake and hit.

Good bench but you don't win from there. A 3 or 4 point hard won win would set us up so well for the rest of the year. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement

I wonder what if any effect Ballyhale's destruction of St Thomas's has left in the Galway psyche.

Roughly zero effect I'd say. Ballygunner beat the champions of Cork, Clare and Limerick on the way to winning the Munster club title and those counties seem to have survived the ordeal at inter-county level when they played Waterford.

In the rush to put Ballyhale Shamrocks on a pedestal as something special people may have taken their eye off the fact that the golden age of Galway club hurling has passed. Their county champions have taken a few bad beatings in the All Ireland series in recent years and St Thomas only made the final because they played the Antrim champions in the semi final and got enough to do to manage that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement