Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Assuming that we get tbrough next weekend- (maybe in third place) my team for All Irl series would be.
    E Murphy, Joey, Lawlor, Tommy, Buckley, Padraig, Delaney, Fogarty, Alan, Leahy, Wally , TJ, Ryan, Colin, Sheehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Fair play to the KK posters on here - no complaining and whining about the ref. Some of your former players on social media always give the impression that the only reason KK ever lost a game was because of the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

grimbergen wrote: »
    Fair play to the KK posters on here - no complaining and whining about the ref. Some of your former players on social media always give the impression that the only reason KK ever lost a game was because of the ref.
    Ref is never to blame with Ger Aylward on your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Ref is never to blame with Ger Aylward on your team.

Is Kevin Kelly off the panel. Watched the 2016 final the other day, he was lively

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Disappointing defeat today although Galway were better than I thought they would would be today. Glynn whealan and Mannion ran the show. Ref was terrible it should have been a 21 yard free at the end and he should have played 2 more minutes at least. Looked 100% a foul on Donnelly before the third goal. They say these things even out but the same happened against limerick last year at a vital stage. Still Galway properly just about deserved it they got some great scores from out wide.

The quality of ball Galway were sending into their forwards compared to us was huge especially in the first half. We send in diagonals and that’s about it, lads stay in their positions while Galway move roam about and better balls played into space. Mannion was unreal in the first half but fogerty was terrible. Backs all over the place slow on the puck out. Alan Murphy standing at 11 when playing midfield. In the first half we had chances to put the ball over the bar but we kept running and lost it. Galway will say the same but I feel we needed to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

The forwards beside TJ and Colin were terrible. Bill Sheehan got 0-2 and did ok in the first half but left on too long. Mullen booked after 5 mins and Mcierney staring on him prob got to him he was missing passes and lads catching balls over him. Minute he missed that chance everyone knew he was off. Ger alyward awful again runs when he should tap over and tries taps over when should run. Billy Ryan scored well too but like Bill done some stupid things. Tj is the best I’ve ever play the game.

Wexford will be tough and we will need Wally. Hopefully Buckley and Jason Cleere start. Tommy Walsh exposed but hard with quality ball coming in and space. Lawor very good I thought. Paul Murphy the same but very poor even when he came out in front he’d miss the ball only struck the ball once. Deegan did well on mannion should have had a plan like that from the start. Fogery terrible Walsh needs to find form too.Beside the positioning on puckouts I thought Leahy and Murphy were good, they might be too light but who else do we have, thought they did well and both scored. Here’s hoping we’re still in the championship next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

what ger did was sgupid in the extrene.ref was brutal and their 3rd goal came from a free we didnt get.after tj lawlor played well .need to being in maher and buckley next week with wally back.have to admire the never say die attitude of the players.if we get our selection right we can still go along way in this championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

C__MC wrote: »
    Is Kevin Kelly off the panel. Watched the 2016 final the other day, he was lively

Had an awful time with injuries since 2016.played in the league this year but injured again.played for his club in the last round.A very good club man he has found the transition hard.He is a lad that has plenty of potential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Assuming that we get tbrough next weekend- (maybe in third place) my team for All Irl series would be.
    E Murphy, Joey, Lawlor, Tommy, Buckley, Padraig, Delaney, Fogarty, Alan, Leahy, Wally , TJ, Ryan, Colin, Sheehan.

A lot will depend on injuries hopefully lads came through ok today.Like others have said I was very impressed with Galway today and I don't think Dublin will beat them despite the game being in Parnell park.
    I hope we can get Buckley back soon I don't know if padraig is the answer at 6.We see today and last year against limerick how valuable wally is to us.Galways movement today was good We had no other outlet than tj for puckouts which is disappointing.davey I'm sure will have tj swarmed next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Only 16000 people at this game........have Kilkenny lost all faith in this team?

And what about the Galway supporters??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

And what about the Galway supporters??

Great support today..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Great support today..

As much Kilkenny there as far as I could see and hear. Kilkenny supporters were behind the team today even when we were well behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

C__MC wrote: »
    Kilkenny.s character can never be questioned but the biggest game of Cody's career is in wexford next Saturday

Make or break stuff

As you acknowledged yourself in a later post there's a good chance Kilkenny will qualify even if they lose in Wexford as Dublin will hardly beat Galway.

In any event, Cody has been manager for more than a dozen All Ireland finals so to bill this one the biggest game of his career is fairly wide of the mark. Let's not lose the run of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Powerhouse wrote: »
    As you acknowledged yourself in a later post there's a good chance Kilkenny will qualify even if they lose in Wexford as Dublin will hardly beat Galway.

In any event, Cody has been manager for more than a dozen All Ireland finals so to bill this one the biggest game of his career is fairly wide of the mark. Let's not lose the run of ourselves.

Yes I wasnt aware of the standings. But losing to wexford next week wouldn't bode well for the cats or the faithful. Before today, the talk was kk were rebuilding nicely and would have a bit to spare on galway. Kk looked light, loose and apart from TJ lacked class to conjure up scores. I myself couldn't believe how much stronger in the air and breaking the tackle galway were. But kilkennys never say die attitude is worth so much.

Davy and wexford have been tricky opponents for kilkenny since 2017, winning games against kilkenny and bullying kilkenny as well. If kk lose next week, it's a quater final with possibly limerick or tipp or cork. Providing galway win etc. Maybe not the most significant game of Cody's career on reflection but nonetheless it will tell us a huge amount about where this kk team are heading under cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

The_Ghost wrote: »
    Disappointing defeat today although Galway were better than I thought they would would be today. Glynn whealan and Mannion ran the show. Ref was terrible it should have been a 21 yard free at the end and he should have played 2 more minutes at least. Looked 100% a foul on Donnelly before the third goal. They say these things even out but the same happened against limerick last year at a vital stage. Still Galway properly just about deserved it they got some great scores from out wide.

The quality of ball Galway were sending into their forwards compared to us was huge especially in the first half. We send in diagonals and that’s about it, lads stay in their positions while Galway move roam about and better balls played into space. Mannion was unreal in the first half but fogerty was terrible. Backs all over the place slow on the puck out. Alan Murphy standing at 11 when playing midfield. In the first half we had chances to put the ball over the bar but we kept running and lost it. Galway will say the same but I feel we needed to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

The forwards beside TJ and Colin were terrible. Bill Sheehan got 0-2 and did ok in the first half but left on too long. Mullen booked after 5 mins and Mcierney staring on him prob got to him he was missing passes and lads catching balls over him. Minute he missed that chance everyone knew he was off. Ger alyward awful again runs when he should tap over and tries taps over when should run. Billy Ryan scored well too but like Bill done some stupid things. Tj is the best I’ve ever play the game.

Wexford will be tough and we will need Wally. Hopefully Buckley and Jason Cleere start. Tommy Walsh exposed but hard with quality ball coming in and space. Lawor very good I thought. Paul Murphy the same but very poor even when he came out in front he’d miss the ball only struck the ball once. Deegan did well on mannion should have had a plan like that from the start. Fogery terrible Walsh needs to find form too.Beside the positioning on puckouts I thought Leahy and Murphy were good, they might be too light but who else do we have, thought they did well and both scored. Here’s hoping we’re still in the championship next week.

A few things......

We didnt move into space today like Galway did. Our puckouts were very poor. Galways aerial dominance meant we should have been pinging balls into the wings and corners but we didn't do this at all. Huw Lawlor strong and will keep improving.
    Paul murphy harshly done by but wasn't good either way.
    Tommy Walsh ok but will improve too.
    Our half back line were cleaned out and this was where the game was lost. We weren't able to stay with the half forward line and even aerially we were dominated there. Especially Conor fogarty.
    Alan murphy not in the game at all and Leahy only in and out of it.
    Billy Ryan will get better as will Sheehan but we only picked Sheehan out in the corner once today with a diagonal ball from tj with 7 mins to go albeit he screwed it up. He needs this type of ball. Colin Fennelly good. Aylward in and out but not contributing enough on the board.
    Tj pure class and unfortunately without him we would be lost.
    Mullen had a nightmare but he will come good.

As bad and all that we hurled only 1 point separated at the whistle.
    4 mins injury only announced after 2 and a half minutes and surely if common sense prevailed with lyons we would have an extra 2 mins which we would have capitalised on.
    We left ourselves too much to do.
    All is not lost yet but we have to improve our delivery to forwards.
    I don't think Donnelly was fouled which led to 3rd goal as I think it was a tough but fair shoulder. He needs to strengthen up and not lose possession in these instances.
    As much as I hate to say it I don't think wally will be available next weekend.
    We need to pull this out of the fire regardless of the result in parnell park.
    Drive on lads. Ye have it in ye but hopefully Buckley is fit enough to strengthen the half back line as we need strength, speed and good delivery from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

The_Ghost wrote: »

A few things......

We didnt move into space today like Galway did. Our puckouts were very poor. Galways aerial dominance meant we should have been pinging balls into the wings and corners but we didn't do this at all. Huw Lawlor strong and will keep improving.
    Paul murphy harshly done by but wasn't good either way.
    Tommy Walsh ok but will improve too.
    Our half back line were cleaned out and this was where the game was lost. We weren't able to stay with the half forward line and even aerially we were dominated there. Especially Conor fogarty.
    Alan murphy not in the game at all and Leahy only in and out of it.
    Billy Ryan will get better as will Sheehan but we only picked Sheehan out in the corner once today with a diagonal ball from tj with 7 mins to go albeit he screwed it up. He needs this type of ball. Colin Fennelly good. Aylward in and out but not contributing enough on the board.
    Tj pure class and unfortunately without him we would be lost.
    Mullen had a nightmare but he will come good.

As bad and all that we hurled only 1 point separated at the whistle.
    4 mins injury only announced after 2 and a half minutes and surely if common sense prevailed with lyons we would have an extra 2 mins which we would have capitalised on.
    We left ourselves too much to do.
    All is not lost yet but we have to improve our delivery to forwards.
    I don't think Donnelly was fouled which led to 3rd goal as I think it was a tough but fair shoulder. He needs to strengthen up and not lose possession in these instances.
    As much as I hate to say it I don't think wally will be available next weekend.
    We need to pull this out of the fire regardless of the result in parnell park.
    Drive on lads. Ye have it in ye but hopefully Buckley is fit enough to strengthen the half back line as we need strength, speed and good delivery from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I think we are quite away behind others in terms of physicality. When you look at the likes of limerick and galway they look alot more powerful and trim compared to kilkenny. Theres no dominance in the air other than tj so always hard to win balls. We seem to have to many of the same player and no variety like other counties when you look at limerick we could do with a hegarty or a Kyle hayes to win balls and drive on. Tj was superb and is carrying the team and was also impressed with mannion he put on a show today

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Cody and the selectors made a huge mistake leaving P Murphy on. I thought he should’ve been taken off at half-time, but def should of been replaced when he basically jumped on Whelans back and gave a free away a few mins before the sending off. Harsh on Tommy, thought he was doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For the Wexford match, I think Davy will instruct his players to systematically foul TJ anytime he gets near the ball. They will be happy to give away frees, knowing that TJ will score 9 out of 10 if them. But crucially it will stop him scoring or assisting any goals. We will really need the other senior players to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

1984baby wrote: »
    Cody and the selectors made a huge mistake leaving P Murphy on. I thought he should’ve been taken off at half-time, but def should of been replaced when he basically jumped on Whelans back and gave a free away a few mins before the sending off. Harsh on Tommy, thought he was doing ok.

This when I saw Joey coming on I was sure it was to replace Paul Murphy. I couldn't believe it when I saw him left on. He was an accident waiting to happen. Not like management to get a crucial replacement wrong so we move on. Paul Murphy doesn't owe us anything but his form is worryin. I presume Joey will slot in the corner next week. He needs a full game too, was a bit Rusty when he came on did a bit of fumbling but that was a quick paced game to come on cold and a start from the beginning should see him ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Firstly, well done to Galway. They showed up today and played some decent hurling. They should have won more easily. Flynn missed a lot of scorable frees

There are a lot of players playing very poorly on the team... And most of them are established players:
    P Murphy
    R Hogan
    P Walsh
    C Fogarty
    G Aylward

A poster already mentioned Tommy Walsh being taken off, when it was obvious that Murphy was going to get a second yellow at some stage.

It's ridiculous how good TJ is... but it's also ridiculous how much we rely on him. I don't think any other Liam McCarthy team rely on a player as much as we do.

I made a comment like this over a year a go that the established players are not stepping up. Ok Walsh had his hands full on Glynn but Fogarty, Murphy, Deegan and Richie Hogan were very poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

In fairness to the defenders they're being hung out to dry lads. We just gave up our wings on their puck outs. The only time our midfield and half forward line drop back is when they're following their own men which contributes to then having no forwards to clear the ball to.

With regards Murphy, he can't replace himself. The ball into Whelan yesterday was in front of him and how many times did Murphy actually stop him winning the ball clean? Numerous times he broke the ball and Whelan just picked up the break because our half back line were so disconnected to our full back line (again) and he's a quality operator.

Mannion roasted Fogarty when he was on him but in fairness he was getting the ball on his own 65 most of the time. Should our half back line really be that far forward? He also cleaned PW when he was on him.

Deegan was fine on him in the second half but again Mannion just dropped into the Galway half repeatedly meaning that as Deegan was detailed to man mark him we were playing with 5 backs and there was acres of space for the Galway forwards to move into.

Conversely, we cannot create space in our forward line because we have too many bodies up there. Everyone is in each others way meaning when someone looks up the ball can only go in high as there's no grass to put it into.

I don't know. We're not good enough to not have a plan. And I don't see one. Or more to the point I don't see a good one that puts our players in a better position than their markers on either side of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Oh and I forgot to mention TJ is the GOAT.

The man is unbelieveable. He was nearly holding the hurl by the bos for his second goal and still stitched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Oh and I forgot to mention TJ is the GOAT.

The man is unbelieveable. He was nearly holding the hurl by the bos for his second goal and still stitched it.

He's an absolute class act. He's unreal everytime he gets on the ball.

If Kilkenny didn't have him they'd be struggling massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

Dropping on the puck outs killed us yesterday as Glynn was winning ball and mannions was dropping into space and picking up loose ball.

Fogarty was cleaned but i think it was codys fault, fogarty held his ground to protect the full back line and neither of the midfielders are defensively minded and never picked up him.

If your not going to man mark a player who can hurt you like mannion can then if fogarty sits there has to be a plan to hand him over to a midfielder.

In fairness the half forwards then need to help the midfielders if they are shadowing deep wing forwards. Hard to believe there was no plan as mannions scored 5 or 6 from play in thurles against us last yr doing the same thing.

Richie Hogan was giving a job to cover in front of glynn in the second half but he nearly took the wrong option on the ball everytime and his striking was also terrible. He really needs games but hopefully he will get them.

Couldn't believe Tommy Walsh was taken off before Paul Murphy, Tommy had good first half and went through a bad 5 minute period and was taken straight away without given a chance, wasn't as if concannon was completely going to town on him, just won a few balls.

Strange blanchfield wasn't given a tilt in half forward line as we were under pressure physically.

We will must likely drop of wexford on the puckouts but if they don't hit the ball and try work it through the lines we might have success with turnovers with bodies around the middle.

We will need a fit Walter for his work rate, any update on his injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Lets start with the positives because there were a few. Lawlor TJ and Colin were the players. The rest blew hot and cold or just Cold. Next positive was we scored 2-22. We may have solved our Full Back position and the biggest compliment I can pay to this team is their never say die attitude.

The first negative for me is I don't see a game plan for this team and I have not seen one since we lost to Tipp in 2016. We don't have the same quality/type of forwards available to play the way Cody wants to play. The new forwards we have cant win their own ball and we keep playing the same record asking them to do so.

The biggest negative I see at the moment is on the sideline. Are the management team looking at the same game we are. Everyone including the commentators knew that Murphy was going to be under severe pressure after picking up a rightful yellow after 5 minutes. He was after fouling a few times before the second yellow. Were they not taking this into account. I think the ref went a little too far for Ger's second yellow and a ticking off would have done. Cody got it wrong from the sideline again yesterday. He started the wrong team against Limerick last year and yesterday he probably started the right team but got the subs wrong. What type of message is he sending out pulling off Mullen after 30mins and then pulling off Tommy and leaving Murphy on the pitch. These are the future players and the only way they will learn is on the pitch against teams like Galway. Why was Buckley and Maher on the bench if they were not ready to play a part in this game. I like Richie and Joey but unfortunately they didn't really contribute anything positive and are not the future.

I think the referee didn't do us any favours yesterday but blaming him is not an excuse. My biggest issue was the time added on. But I do find refereeing in general in the GAA very inconsistent.

Another question I have is why against the better teams is it we don't seem to play until we are in serious trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Firstly I was nearly drive insane with the ref yesterday he just got worse as the game went on. We couldn't buy a free and had to be fouled 2 or 3 times to get one whereas the Galway lads were getting them for the exact same fouls our lads couldn't get one for, it was so frustrating and unfortunately has been for years, yesterday was a particularly bad case of it though.

I thought Darren Brennan did ok probably should have saved one of the goals but that's being harsh. The problem with our defence is we allow ourselves to be dragged out of position. If you look at Limerick for most of a match they have their 6 backs within the 45 and rarely ever beyond their own 65 unless their bursting forward to try get a score. As someone pointed out already there was acres of space between our HB and FB lines and their 3 FF's all lined up in the middle of the pitch like Limerick and as a defender got his head up to clear the ball, 2 would go one way and one would go the other, dragging defenders with them. The defender clearing always tried to get the side were it was 1 on 1. If we play like Limerick I would have Paul Murphy in there all day long as when you make things tight there's no better man. If we continue to have our half back line miles away then Murphy needs to go and be replaced by a bit of pace Holden or Delaney. Personally I don't understand how Deegan or Fogarty are in there ahead of Cleere at this stage. I thought he did very well when he was introduced yesterday and against Carlow.

I was surprised we didn't see Buckley introduced, personally I would have brought him in instead of Murphy after about 15 mins. Murphy was very poor in that first half, himself and Leahy were clueless and lost. Even in the second half I would have thought they'd give him 10 or 15 mins. I thought Richie Hogan really thightened things up in the middle third when he came on. Unfortunately his decision making with the ball in hand was very poor but personally I'd start him or drop him altogether, he is not an impact sub. If he's fit start him and let him find his way into a game. If you look at most of Richie's games over the years, it often takes him 15-20mins to get a feel for the opposition, then he starts to exploit what he has learned and normally carves open teams. If he only has 20-30 mins I don't think he can be as effective. He needs to start, in my opinion.
    TJ gave an exhibition and some of the ball he won with 2 or 3 lads on his back was fantastic, his touch and spacial awareness were on a different level to everyone else. I'd say he's crushed after that game, he put in so much and was looking to gee up the other players he was the only one.

Aylwards card was never a second yellow after watching it back. If anyone says he shouldn't have got involved they are wrong. One of the biggest problems this team has is that we've too many nice hurlers and we get feckin bullied a lot of the time. The Galway lad tripped Aylward twice. Aylward went and shoved him standing up for himself and rightly so. Then they wrestled, there was no striking, there was no helmet touched, it was handbag stuff. He wasn't having a great game anyway but we were surging at that time and with even numbers, of players I would have fancied us for at least a draw.

We have plenty to work on but only a week to do it. We have already shown how we can demolish Wexford, in the League semi final I think, down in Wexford 2 years ago. That day we used short passing and the wings to negate their sweeper and we bet them at our ease. The issue is we haven't done it since and they've beaten us in most games since. So we found the way of beating them, went out and used it successfully and then decided not to ever use it again, baffles me!

If we play smart we can win no problem if we play the kind of game we played yesterday, against Wexford they will eat up the high long ball all day long and we'll have to rely on Galway to get the win.

As an aside I thought Bill Sheehan did well today living off scraps scored 0-2 and set up another 0-2 as well.

Also heard that Wally just twisted his ankle there is hope he will be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

As an aside I thought Bill Sheehan did well today living off scraps scored 0-2 and set up another 0-2 as well.[/quote]

In fairness Bill played well and was a threat when he was on, he should definitely start next weekend and hopefully we can get on ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Darren Brennan - Decent but no Eoin Murphy
    Tommy Walsh - did fine with the supply of ball coming in.
    Hue Lawlor - Strong game will only get better. Fine Full back
    Paul Murphy - no comment required
    Conor Fogarty - imo offers very little , slow, poor in the air and bad striker of the ball
    Padraig Walsh - hands full on Johnny Glynn, could not get in the game
    Paddy Deegan - worked hard but just doesnt have the quality at the moment
    Richie Leahy - got on plenty of possession, worked hard did ok
    Alan Murphy - physically blown out of it was only getting on loose ball
    TJ - No comment required
    Adrian Mullen - physically blown out of it, maybe better off in the corner, half forward at inter county level is a tough place to start off.
    Billy Ryan - Decent game good in possession will improve
    Bill Sheehan - works hard very dangerous in possession, needs to improve his hurling
    Colin Fennelly - good physical presence and had a good game, good in possession again his hurling needs to improv
    Ger Aylward - very poor in possession another who needs to improve his hurling, his striking is very poor this year

Joey Holden - awful when introduced, his hurling is very poor at times
    Richie Hogan - got on plenty of ball but use of the ball poor

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Yesterdays game went along fairly predictable lines with Kilkenny, as always, never giving up and putting up a huge fight. I think Cody and his team need to have a good, long hard think about both the make up and shape of the team. Obviously we are a little restricted with injuries at present and we don't know who is and isn't available next week yet.

Buckley and Delaney are two players who if fully fit would make definitely the starting line up. Delaney especially was going to be a nailed on starter and could become an option for centre back when ready based on Huw Lawlors emergence at full back. We saw Galway neutralizing Padraig yesterday with a big man so no doubt other teams will have taken need of that. Residing him at No.5 would free him up a little to launch attacks down the wing as well as nicking a few scores in every game.

Delaney would hold the centre pretty well and if you had Padraig on one side of him with Buckley then we would have pace and athleticism in the half back line. All 3 are strong in the air too. Assuming Buckley is not going to be ready next week then I think it is about time Jason Cleere got a go in the half back line. He did well enough when introduced yesterday. In fact if Buckley, Cleere and Delaney were all fit then I wouldn't be against putting Padraig in the half forward line as he offers a scoring threat that is clearly lacking in the side at present.

I felt bad for Murphy yesterday as he was giving a thankless task. He is the best corner back I have personally ever seen play the game but was offered little protection yesterday - I doubt if anyone else could have done much better. Think Joey might start next week just to freshen things up but I would love to see a show of faith in Murphy from team management. Ironically the foul which got him his second yellow was not a foul in my opinion - he just stood his ground. I did not see the same laws being applied to the Galway players when TJ had the ball for some reason...

Alan Murphy had a tough day at the office. While his striking is of the highest standard he looks a little physically below the level required. I would possibly like to see Fogarty resited to the middle to balance the midfield a bit better. He would offer a little extra protection for the half back line and his best hurling for Kilkenny has been done at midfield.

Again the forwards (apart from TJ obviously) do and did not carry enough of a scoring threat. While 2-22 Is a decent score against a strong Galway team it is clear that this is this sides majkor weakness. Billy Ryan had a decent day with 0-3 but much more is needed especially from the inside forwards who barely contributed on the scoresheet in a relatively high scoring game. Some personnel changes might be necessary the next day to freshen things up. If Wally is fit again I'd like to see Ryan put back into the corner again or even at No.10. TJ & Fennelly is a definite starter at 14 but the remaining positions are up for grabs IMO. Donnelly might be given a chance and Blanchfield has to come into the reckoning too. I would start Mullen again too personally. Thought it was a tad premature taking him off as early as that yesterday, thought he should have been allowed untill HT at least to play his way into it.

Richie Hogan might come into it too if Wally doesn't make it despite a very ineffective display. Hopefully he is ok today and doesn't have a reaction to his back as he remains a serious operator for me.

A glance at the substitutes bench yesterday would also suggest changes may be required. I'm not sure what Mossy Keoghan offers as a sub and would prefer to see as many scoring forwards as possible there, Kevin Kelly perhaps?

All in all we can take much from yesterday's game. I feel this side will get better and better the longer the summer goes on so getting through next weekend alive is obviously very critical.

The ref was very poor as has been commented by other posters, particularly with the timekeeping incident at the end. I have no doubt Kilkenny would have snatched at least a draw if he had correctly added on the 2 minutes he wasted messing about with TJ's free. My own take on refs is that there isn't a good one out there at any level with huge inconsistencies from ref to ref and even with the same ref during a game. We in Kilkenny have long been the victims of these incosistencies with us having to really earn frees which are handed to other teams without question. Something to discuss another day perhaps...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

.... Ironically the foul which got him his second yellow was not a foul in my opinion - he just stood his ground. I did not see the same laws being applied to the Galway players when TJ had the ball for some reason...

One notable example of this was this headhigh challenge by Hanbury on TJ which was worse than Murphy's and went unpunished, maybe because TJ went on to score a point after hopping on Hanbury
    1725360.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement