Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think the general feeling is we weren't good enough yesterday.We didn't perform to our best.its not just us giving out bout the time keeping at the end all the papers and experts agreed we were done out of time at the end and we had huge momentuem at the end.Its a pity we didn't get one more attack.If we had to get the draw yesterday we still be on 5 points with Galway and the other 2 on 4 so would still nearly need something this weekend.We know now what's required next Saturday night it's going to be extremely tough but we're well capable of getting a result.We know how there going to set up.We know how teams counteract that so we need to pick the right team and set up the right way and have our homework done.Its hard to believe if Dublin win and we lose our year is over.We need to see a huge response next week with our backs now to the wall.
    We need to get more from our older key players like padraig and fogarty.Buckleys leadership is missing
    I agree with the poster that says Richie needs to start and feel himself into the game he done well in the pocket.
    It didn't work out for Mullen yesterday he got involved in niggles and missed a good scoring chance.Its a huge step up he will learn for these days.
    It must be said that our 2 midfielders are attacking midfielders and maybe don't give us enough cover in defence this will need to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

brookville wrote: »
    I think the general feeling is we weren't good enough yesterday.We didn't perform to our best.its not just us giving out bout the time keeping at the end all the papers and experts agreed we were done out of time at the end and we had huge momentuem at the end.Its a pity we didn't get one more attack.If we had to get the draw yesterday we still be on 5 points with Galway and the other 2 on 4 so would still nearly need something this weekend.We know now what's required next Saturday night it's going to be extremely tough but we're well capable of getting a result.We know how there going to set up.We know how teams counteract that so we need to pick the right team and set up the right way and have our homework done.Its hard to believe if Dublin win and we lose our year is over.We need to see a huge response next week with our backs now to the wall.
    We need to get more from our older key players like padraig and fogarty.Buckleys leadership is missing
    I agree with the poster that says Richie needs to start and feel himself into the game he done well in the pocket.
    It didn't work out for Mullen yesterday he got involved in niggles and missed a good scoring chance.Its a huge step up he will learn for these days.
    It must be said that our 2 midfielders are attacking midfielders and maybe don't give us enough cover in defence this will need to be addressed.

Will Buckley be fit?
    Would be good to have a half back line of Walsh/Buckley/Deegan with Fogarty acting as a defensive midfielder which is his best position for Kilkenny.

I dunno if he'll be fit but I hope himself and wally are.Id probably start Joey as well.we need to play a smart game this weekend.tj will probably be marked by 2 lads.We need our other fowards to step up

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Are stands sold out already for Sat? Only tickets available online are the terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    I dunno if he'll be fit but I hope himself and wally are.Id probably start Joey as well.we need to play a smart game this weekend.tj will probably be marked by 2 lads.We need our other fowards to step up

Supply all day was very poor. Half back line hit very little ball, Alan Murphy hit 2 balls off the top of my head and Richie Leahy was running into cul de sacs. Forwards need proper supply of ball like the Limerick and Tipperary forwards are getting

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

I will start by saying well done Galway. On the scoreboard you won and coming from a county with 36 senior titles, that’s what matters. However, some people are afraid to mention too much in relation to the refereeing in case of the accusations of sour grapes. Referee is a tough job and it is not certain with another referee the result would be anything different, but if we judge players and managers by what we see, we have to judge the referee by what we see. Above all they have to be good or bad on the same level for both. Impartial. There is no doubt in my mind if the assessor is doing his job, Colm Lyons will be marked very poorly. This is not just a Kilkenny thing about Lyons as I know other counties feel the same about him including Munster counties. His decision making process is poor.

The time thing at the end is well documented and what it suggested was an element of bias against Kilkenny, whether it be real or just plain stupidity, only Lyons knows. But when put with the sending off of Hanbury, you wonder. It was the only sending off that was obvious and undisputable, yet it was the only one he went over to his linesman Cathal McAlister to consult with (incidentally the ref for the Greg Kennedy incident and also from Cork). This consultation was not quick suggesting debate. McAlister who also had a full view obviously did not say “no doubt, red” If he did, Lyons obviously did not accept it. They may have been looking at how they could make it yellow. McAlister was also the witness to the second Aylward card, being the one to notify Lyons. In contrast, this was quick and no consultation or discussion was involved. The evidence stacks up against the Cork men. Then of course there is the misplacing of the TJ Reid free. Others have mentioned how hard it was to get a free, but in truth it is always hard for Kilkenny. But the items above are specific decisions which show inconsistency and potential bias.

In another point of note. On Saturday Peter Harte of Tyrone was black carded for a trip. When Ger Aylward was tripped for that second yellow as witnessed by Cathal McAlister, strange the Galway player was not punished more vigorously than just a yellow. Having said that I think both yellows were harsh. Then again two Leinster matches at the weekend produced six red cards and none of the games were considered dirty. I know Willie Barrett came out with strong words to referees about applying the rules at the start of the year, particularly about head high tackles, but is it only applying to Leinster? I suppose Munster are struggling with the quality of their championship this year and can’t afford to lose players and the refs who are from Leinster are more lenient or apply common sense (I’m not sure about the latter).

Fergal Horgan has the game on Saturday. He came across very well on that documentary when he refereed the Waterford-Galway final, so hopefully he will again. The bottom line is Saturday is an old fashioned knockout Leinster semi-final. No other permutation is of interest. TJ Reid was phenomenal yesterday, but I don’t subscribe to any one man team. If that was the case, the others will be really worried if we discover a second TJ! Interesting that only six frees scored, showing again how little Lyons contributed for us in a one point defeat and a man down for most of the second half.

As regards the performance, a lot of knee jerkers on here who haven’t really studied the match back. Tbiggertycome once again is the most honest and observant appraisal. I see those two lads from Munster getting in with their “say” (Mullinr and Powerhouse), less said the better on their comments. Always guaranteed to hear from them after Kilkenny lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    I will start by saying well done Galway. On the scoreboard you won and coming from a county with 36 senior titles, that’s what matters. However, some people are afraid to mention too much in relation to the refereeing in case of the accusations of sour grapes. Referee is a tough job and it is not certain with another referee the result would be anything different, but if we judge players and managers by what we see, we have to judge the referee by what we see. Above all they have to be good or bad on the same level for both. Impartial. There is no doubt in my mind if the assessor is doing his job, Colm Lyons will be marked very poorly. This is not just a Kilkenny thing about Lyons as I know other counties feel the same about him including Munster counties. His decision making process is poor.

The time thing at the end is well documented and what it suggested was an element of bias against Kilkenny, whether it be real or just plain stupidity, only Lyons knows. But when put with the sending off of Hanbury, you wonder. It was the only sending off that was obvious and undisputable, yet it was the only one he went over to his linesman Cathal McAlister to consult with (incidentally the ref for the Greg Kennedy incident and also from Cork). This consultation was not quick suggesting debate. McAlister who also had a full view obviously did not say “no doubt, red” If he did, Lyons obviously did not accept it. They may have been looking at how they could make it yellow. McAlister was also the witness to the second Aylward card, being the one to notify Lyons. In contrast, this was quick and no consultation or discussion was involved. The evidence stacks up against the Cork men. Then of course there is the misplacing of the TJ Reid free. Others have mentioned how hard it was to get a free, but in truth it is always hard for Kilkenny. But the items above are specific decisions which show inconsistency and potential bias.

In another point of note. On Saturday Peter Harte of Tyrone was black carded for a trip. When Ger Aylward was tripped for that second yellow as witnessed by Cathal McAlister, strange the Galway player was not punished more vigorously than just a yellow. Having said that I think both yellows were harsh. Then again two Leinster matches at the weekend produced six red cards and none of the games were considered dirty. I know Willie Barrett came out with strong words to referees about applying the rules at the start of the year, particularly about head high tackles, but is it only applying to Leinster? I suppose Munster are struggling with the quality of their championship this year and can’t afford to lose players and the refs who are from Leinster are more lenient or apply common sense (I’m not sure about the latter).

Fergal Horgan has the game on Saturday. He came across very well on that documentary when he refereed the Waterford-Galway final, so hopefully he will again. The bottom line is Saturday is an old fashioned knockout Leinster semi-final. No other permutation is of interest. TJ Reid was phenomenal yesterday, but I don’t subscribe to any one man team. If that was the case, the others will be really worried if we discover a second TJ! Interesting that only six frees scored, showing again how little Lyons contributed for us in a one point defeat and a man down for most of the second half.

As regards the performance, a lot of knee jerkers on here who haven’t really studied the match back. Tbiggertycome once again is the most honest and observant appraisal. I see those two lads from Munster getting in with their “say” (Mullinr and Powerhouse), less said the better on their comments. Always guaranteed to hear from them after Kilkenny lose.

Just on the bit in bold: Maybe the reason the referee gave a yellow card for a trip is because that's what the rules prescribe for a trip? Referring to a football match where different rules apply is misguided. Hurling decided to not bring in the black card so that's here we are at. Aylward can have no real complaints. He was on a yellow card, and while he didn't do any harm, two yellow cards for players is standard refereeing practice in such situations.

As for the rest: be aware that not all of us are impressed by objective sounding but leading words like "incidentally" and "the evidence stacks up" as if you are the Morris Tribunal reporting objectively your findings on the match. It's fairly obvious what you're about. And the use of the word "bias" in relation to the referee on more than one occasion is just plain silly.

Bottom line: Galway scored 3-17 from play and just 0-3 from frees. All their players from 9 to 15 scored from play. On another day they'd have won pulling up. Why not just give credit where it's due and leave it at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Im actually a Kilkenny man living in Clare.
    On the match against Wexford and somebody mentioned it already, when we beat Wexford in the league semi final a few years ago, we played a nice brand of hurling that day. Davy said it was the best he'd seen Kilkenny play in a long time and that if they played like that they'd take some stopping. We went back to our traditional style against Tipp and won.Cody has persisted with our traditional style still, even though it doesn't suit our current players. If we play the way we did in that semi I would be confident of a win. I can't see us beating Wexford with our traditional tactics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

grimbergen wrote: »
    Fair play to the KK posters on here - no complaining and whining about the ref. Some of your former players on social media always give the impression that the only reason KK ever lost a game was because of the ref.

This looks like it served as a reminder to a few that they forgot to give out about him in hindsight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Just on the bit in bold: Maybe the reason the referee gave a yellow card for a trip is because that's what the rules prescribe for a trip? Referring to a football match where different rules apply is misguided. Hurling decided to not bring in the black card so that's here we are at. Aylward can have no real complaints. He was on a yellow card, and while he didn't do any harm, two yellow cards for players is standard refereeing practice in such situations.

As for the rest: be aware that not all of us are impressed by objective sounding but leading words like "incidentally" and "the evidence stacks up" as if you are the Morris Tribunal reporting objectively your findings on the match. It's fairly obvious what you're about. And the use of the word "bias" in relation to the referee on more than one occasion is just plain silly.

Bottom line: Galway scored 3-17 from play and just 0-3 from frees. All their players from 9 to 15 scored from play. On another day they'd have won pulling up. Why not just give credit where it's due and leave it at that?

Yawn yawn yawn yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

Yawn yawn yawn yawn

very insightful - well done

If there's any team that can negate tjs influence it will be Davey.he will have lads on him with absolutely no interest in winning the ball and have lads pick up the breaks.We really need wallys presence on the half foward line hopefully Maher and Buckley will be near contention.

Let's not lose the run of ourselves.

I thought you might be back again.
    Was Paddy Power or Ladbrokes still open??
    A lot of us also remember you disappeared when you couldn't answer a direct question previously without consulting with the bookies. So obviously the bookies are open this time.

A Munster man trying to claim to be one of "ourselves", come on, seriously. At least be open and honest if you want about your background and stop popping up when Kilkenny loose if you want to be treated to serious GAA discussion. I'm sure the bookies when we win too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

How many frees did they miss, fair play to Aylward for getting straight up after Hanburys cloths line tackle. Adding insult to injury the ref kept arguing with Tj Reid about the free he was taking it where the foul happened the ref kept arguing with him and it was laughable when Hanburys sending off came with his tackle and he had to consult with Mcallester about it Mcalester hadn't the balls to send Gregory kennedy the night v Dublin you would wonder about bias.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Im actually a Kilkenny man living in Clare.

Of course you are... My eye...
    Nobody who knows anything about Kilkenny hurling would suggest that Richie Hogan and Paul Murphy gave up and should be ashamed of themselves. You are from Clare. Like Powerhouse you only appear when Kilkenny are losing.

The same way as Jackie Tyrell is from Kilkenny slagging off the Clare lads and I'm not saying I agree with his sentiments either, but at least he clear.

You posted at 15:08 while the game was still going on. Obviously not at the match, just watching it on the telly in Ennis or somewhere. You even had time to post rather than observe what was happening or get behind the team. You had given up. I know the team hadn't given up and nor had the fans at the game. The more things go against us the noisier we get, And do you know what, we nearly pulled it off because Hogan for example who was still on the field did not give up. I know, "nearly" is not good enough, but its great to have that bar to aim for everytime.

No Kilkenny man would ever question the likes of Hogan and Murphy for committment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Reading through the posts on this they range from seriously optimistic to ridiculously pessimistic. Kilkenny were quite poor on Sunday and yet if the right amount of time had been added on they more than likely would have gotten a draw.
    Pros
    -TJ Reid, best hurler in the country and I include Joe Canning in that
    -Played poorly and still only 1 point in it
    -Seemed to have found someone who can play full back
    Cons
    -If Galway had a reliable free taker margin would have been a lot wider
    -Persistent long ball tactics were easy for Galway to deal with and truth be told made them look much better than they were

Ye aren't a million miles off, but do need to rethink your gameplan. In many ways, Kilkenny this year and Tipp last year are very similar. Different use of the ball would go a long way without needing major overhaul of personnel.

Probably need a modern coach like a Paul kinnerk or a eamon o shea type person in the backroom team.
    We've discussed the management's team slowness with Murphy or trying to curve mannions influence but some of the points he got were ridiculous.Maybe we could of done with someone in the stand cause we could all see it but i know we put deegan on mannion in the 2nd half.we needed more movement from our fowards but I think we needed our mid fielders to work harder.We desperately lacked ball winners apart from tj.
    The match against wexford is going to be completely different and unfortunately we really struggle with their system.Galway let u hurl.We played in fits and starts yesterday we need to bring huge work rate.it'll be very interesting to see what changes we make if we can get Maher Buckley and wally back it should give us a boost.Id also start Richie out around midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

This looks like it served as a reminder to a few that they forgot to give out about him in hindsight

The redundant Waterford man speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭blackcard

If Walter can't make it, I would definitely go with Blanchfield, we definitely need a bit of strength in the forwards. Davy's teams always have a lot of off the ball stuff going on and Wally and Liam can stand up to these antics. James Maher and Cillian Buckley have to be options if they are fit and I think Jason Cleere has to start. I thought the first touch of some of our players was off and Cillian and Jason have great touch under pressure.
    Tactically, we need one of our midfielders to have a defensive role and our half forward line need to drop deeper.

Ompala wrote: »
    Reading through the posts on this they range from seriously optimistic to ridiculously pessimistic. Kilkenny were quite poor on Sunday and yet if the right amount of time had been added on they more than likely would have gotten a draw.
    Pros
    -TJ Reid, best hurler in the country and I include Joe Canning in that
    -Played poorly and still only 1 point in it
    -Seemed to have found someone who can play full back
    Cons
    -If Galway had a reliable free taker margin would have been a lot wider
    -Persistent long ball tactics were easy for Galway to deal with and truth be told made them look much better than they were

Ye aren't a million miles off, but do need to rethink your gameplan. In many ways, Kilkenny this year and Tipp last year are very similar. Different use of the ball would go a long way without needing major overhaul of personnel.
    Galway hit bad wides from frees but had scores from play. Kilkenny hit bad wides from play but scored from the few frees that the ref gave us. Swings and roundabouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

A few objective observations from an outsider.
    I saw Huw Lawlor play in Ennis on Conlon this year and thought he was 'to the manor born'. Hes very cool, big and always barrs the door to goal. Paul Murphy is not suited to the corner anymore . He'll get roasted again by the end of this Championship. I think you need a new corner back instead of him
    The ref did screw ye with the time added on but then I didn't think Hanburys half tackle deserved red. It was high but he let go of the Hurley.. in fact there should have been no reds.
    The style you play isnt suitable for the players you have. TJ is the only forward able to pulldown a ball with Walsh injured. I dont understand why the corner men cant be hit with low ball occasionally. They are doing the basics right and are out in front but need better ball.
    Cillian Buckley and Delaney are due back but by God if you think they ll hit the ground running in today's modern game then you are sorely mistaken. The weight of Kilkenny is on them and they need time.
    Wexford arent great but they will be competent. I can see you losing there but Galway winning. I think on your day you could beat Galway,Tipp or Limerick if everything went right..but theres not a hope of Kilkenny stringing 2 to 3 big wins together..not with Richie Hogans back,Wallys legs and those young fellas...

Fair comment, I think there are very few Kilkenny supporters who expect us to get to an AI. Most would be happy for us to get a couple of more matches and end up the year with a settled full back and centre back and let Padraig Walsh and Cillian Buckley back in their best positions next year. Wally has hardly ever been injured before but I don't think we will see much more of Richie Hogan who has had many great days for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

very insightful - well done

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

blackcard wrote: »
    Fair comment, I think there are very few Kilkenny supporters who expect us to get to an AI. Most would be happy for us to get a couple of more matches and end up the year with a settled full back and centre back and let Padraig Walsh and Cillian Buckley back in their best positions next year. Wally has hardly ever been injured before but I don't think we will see much more of Richie Hogan who has had many great days for us.

Would have to agree. We could beat anyone on a given day but are not nearly consistent enough. Annoying that players blooded in the last few years haven't seemed to improve much. Leahy for as much potential as he possesses us still taking ridiculous pot shots from out wide. You have to wonder when he is going to learn. Others like Blanchfield, Donnelly, Enda Morrissey etc have failed to establish themselves. Everyone is hoping James Maher coming back will be a big help yet he was taken off three times in the league. This is not a criticism of the players as I think they are all excellent hurlers but they haven't yet developed into what we thought they were going to be.
    One other thing I would like to see is Deegan tried midfield as he doesn't seem to be a natural defender but he has the size and athleticism to play a role similar to Michael Fennelly or Derek Lyng.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    irrelevant throll....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

As a Wexford supporter see this game as a complete 50/50, 2017 and 18 championship encounters were 1 score games and cant see this been any different. Freetaking is a concern for us chin actually done well on them against Dublin (10 from 11) and against carlow (8 from 9) but in the galway game he was 7 from 11 and fanning the goalkeeper missed 3 from our own 45 although I think paudie Foley should be on those longer range frees, problem for us on the other side we know TJ is a 9 or 10 out of 10 man. Who marks TJ is another huge decision for us, could be o'Hanlon he'll be on him or Wally Walsh, could be Shaun Murphy who has marked sutcliffe(held scoreless), cathal mannion (1 point ) and Marty kavanagh who caused him trouble in our 3 games, although I'd be afraid Reid would have too much physical power for him. Liam Ryan and Fennelly will be a huge battle as will hugh lawlor and McDonald. Your team selection will be interesting I'd imagine Holden will come in for 1 of the corner backs, Alan Murphy will be under pressure either with James Mather coming in or cleere or Buckley to HB line with maybe fogarty to midfield. Presuming Hogan will replace Mullen and if fit Walter in for Sheehan or aylward. Seen comments about off the ball stuff with our backs which theres merit too but your backs are no saints either. Fogarty and deegan were at it with chin and rory o'connor in the league game in March. Deegan particularly has form for it, I was at the game yesterday and he could have saw the line for hitting mannion off the ball, himself and chin both could have went in the championship game last year and he was caught on camera striking gillane with the hurl against Limerick in thurles last year. Referee could have a bearing on Saturday but I think horgan is as good as any around although the current standard is low.

Definitely wouldn't rule out Dublin against galway, galway have shown time and again over the past 12 months they can blow hot and cold. Mannion, whelan and glynn were outstanding yesterday but in the likes of O'Donnell, Smyth, barrett and crummey Dublin have defence to curtail them.

I thought you might be back again.
    Was Paddy Power or Ladbrokes still open??
    A lot of us also remember you disappeared when you couldn't answer a direct question previously without consulting with the bookies. So obviously the bookies are open this time.

A Munster man trying to claim to be one of "ourselves", come on, seriously. At least be open and honest if you want about your background and stop popping up when Kilkenny loose if you want to be treated to serious GAA discussion. I'm sure the bookies when we win too.

You are taking this far too personally. Better to get back to enjoying the hurling.

Definitely wouldn't rule out Dublin against galway, galway have shown time and again over the past 12 months they can blow hot and cold.

I wouldn't overplay this though. Galway have one defeat in their last 17 championship games over the past three seasons. Dublin have won just three games from 11 in the same period, and those wins were against Laois, Offaly and Carlow. If either of these teams has a question mark over it it's Dublin. Galway just happen to be in a different space now where they are judged differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Of course you are... My eye...
    Nobody who knows anything about Kilkenny hurling would suggest that Richie Hogan and Paul Murphy gave up and should be ashamed of themselves. You are from Clare. Like Powerhouse you only appear when Kilkenny are losing.

The same way as Jackie Tyrell is from Kilkenny slagging off the Clare lads and I'm not saying I agree with his sentiments either, but at least he clear.

You posted at 15:08 while the game was still going on. Obviously not at the match, just watching it on the telly in Ennis or somewhere. You even had time to post rather than observe what was happening or get behind the team. You had given up. I know the team hadn't given up and nor had the fans at the game. The more things go against us the noisier we get, And do you know what, we nearly pulled it off because Hogan for example who was still on the field did not give up. I know, "nearly" is not good enough, but its great to have that bar to aim for everytime.

No Kilkenny man would ever question the likes of Hogan and Murphy for committment!!

This is embarrassing stuff. Seriously. FFS.

The poster you are referring to first posted in a KK GAA thread over 5 years ago. Do you seriously think he/she are only pretending to be from Kilkenny just to troll and wind us all up? A Russion KGB spy wouldn't be a patch on this poster if that's the case.

A poster can be from Kilkenny AND also be critical of the Kilkenny team. They are not mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement

This is embarrassing stuff. Seriously. FFS.

The poster you are referring to first posted in a KK GAA thread over 5 years ago. Do you seriously think he/she are only pretending to be from Kilkenny just to troll and wind us all up? A Russion KGB spy wouldn't be a patch on this poster if that's the case.

A poster can be from Kilkenny AND also be critical of the Kilkenny team. They are not mutually exclusive.

Do you agree with his/her sentiments regarding Hogan and Murphy that they should be "ashamed" of themselves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement