Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Do you agree with his/her sentiments regarding Hogan and Murphy that they should be "ashamed" of themselves?

No, I don't agree that they should be 'ashamed'. Nor do I agree with Jackie's comments either.

If I did think they should be 'ashamed', would you be calling me out as a troll who is just pretending to be from Kilkenny?? Like I am often critical of the KK team and I post a bit in the Galway city forum...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

No, I don't agree that they should be 'ashamed'. Nor do I agree with Jackie's comments either.

Then maybe your keyboard energy would be better employed calling him/her out rather than calling me out for calling him/her out. Unless of course you are the same person. Are you? Anyway this is irrelevant to any GAA discussion. You probably know this person at least. I just hope you/him/her has the dignity to retract the poor choice of words in relation to Hogan and Murphy now that they have time to think and in future watches the game and supports the team rather than hitting the keyboard during the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Then maybe your keyboard energy would be better employed calling him/her out rather than calling me out for calling him/her out. Unless of course you are the same person. Are you? Anyway this is irrelevant to any GAA discussion. You probably know this person at least. I just hope you/him/her has the dignity to retract the poor choice of words in relation to Hogan and Murphy now that they have time to think and in future watches the game and supports the team rather than hitting the keyboard during the match.

77c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Ok lads calm down. I suppose on reflection ashamed are harsh words. They both have been great servants to Kk. Murphy for me hasn't had a good game for us in years, yet Cody still persists with him. Hogan was decent last year but his accuracy which was one of his strong points, has completely deserted him.
    Living in Clare, originally from Dungarvan, half way between Thomastown and Gowran. Went to Kierans and all. Happy now dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Ok lads calm down. I suppose on reflection ashamed are harsh words. They both have been great servants to Kk. Murphy for me hasn't had a good game for us in years, yet Cody still persists with him. Hogan was decent last year but his accuracy which was one of his strong points, has completely deserted him.
    Living in Clare, originally from Dungarvan, half way between Thomastown and Gowran. Went to Kierans and all. Happy now dastardly00

I would disagree Hogans accuracy has deserted him and living in Clare I can't expect you to have seen some of his point taking against the Boro a few weeks ago. He hit some lovely scores that night under pressure, the difference was he started the game. I think it makes a huge difference too an intelligent hurler like Hogan. I think he figures out an opposition team for the first 15-20mins then he knows where and how he can exploit them. I think when he comes on it's very hard to do the same thing and it takes him a bit longer to become effective. Anyway there was nothing wrong with his radar against the Boro so he can still do it.

Like I said earlier if we're going to persist in letting our half back line be dragged all over the pitch then Murphy is not the man to play in a constantly exposed full back line. Cody and the selectors must only watch a traditional 15 on 15 in training and in that where the backs are close together and theirs not much space then Murphy is your man and there ain't much better. He would work very well in the current Limerick team. So in reality he porbably needs to go, as I can't see us tightening everything up at the back. By the way we should be tightening everything up at the back and make the midfield and forwards play deeper when we're not in possesion, like we did when we were winning AI's for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

They were more than harsh in my opinion, I'm sure Paul and Richie were disappointed with how they played but have nothing to be ashamed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

I stated here on this forum over a year ago about my concerns of Fogarty and Murphy, they really struggled since the retirement of some of the great players 3/4 years ago.

A lot of members had snide and unfair criticism for that opinion over a year ago and imo the 2 players have not put in performances to change my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

After reading some of the comments on here I deceived to watch the game on the tv this time and as always it’s completely different. I thought maybe I was harsh on young tommy he didn’t do much wrong Holden should have replaced Murphy. I think having two attacking midfielders will naturally result in them taking forward positions. I feel if they sat deeper then the forwards would naturally drop deeper too. Maher and Leahy were good in the league last year I wonder how they’d work together. Leahy likes to run with the ball and score and I felt he drove well but Wexford swarm well so he’ll have to be careful and it’d be great to see someone run of his shoulder as that’s what should be happening. Fogerty was really in no mans land the last day. In my team I had hogan to start but he didn’t go very well either. Over the last two years I’d love to see how many first half subs we have made compared to other teams. I’m not a fan of them. Management team need to get it right from the start.

There’s normally a tough breeze in Wexford so tj going 9/10 on the frees might be tough. Player for player we match well against Wexford but it won’t be played player for player. Who will sweep for us? Deegan maybe. Colin was woeful last year again Wexford but cleaned Ryan the year before, Ryan likes to solo out and Colin is a good tackler so should be a great battle. Hanlon will prob take TJ and hopefully foley and Wally can have another good battle. Few Wexford friends don’t think they’ve got going yet, although putting up decent scores Rory o Connor isn’t in great form but chin seems to be going well beside his radar vs Galway. Team id play:

Brennan
    Joey lawor Walsh
    Cleere Walsh deegan
    Leahy and Maher or Buckley if fit. Fogery if not but Murphy went well in the league vs them.
    Wally Ryan tj
    Shenan Colin Mullen but hogan, donnolly, ger will be heavily considered. I do think we’ll barely win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I suppose alot will depend on the few lads to come back if there up to fitness.You would imagine Maher is closer than Buckley cause he was there for most of the league and has alot of the heavy lifting done.Buckley has done very little since last year.
    I'm hoping that game will bring on Richie and to be honest I'd start him out around midfield and let him roam.I haven't watched the game back yet and I know he do silly options but I thought he improved as it went on and he has a brillant brain.
    There's no doubt there'll be surgery to the team although he'll probably release the same team for the programme and be a few changes Saturday night like this time last year against wexford.
    A game like this saturday would suit a Darren Mullen who is a very smart hurler it's a pity he has being injured but he has used deegan in this role recently.I hope to god we aren't bombing ball into crowded areas this weekend We really need our homework done and play smart hurling.
    Maher and wally would be a big help and they also do a lot of tracking back I'd expect these to be close

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Can you imagine the tension in Wexford park Saturday with a few minutes to go, if Dublin are beating Galway ,and Wexford and Kilkenny are level , in that case a draw in our game knocks out Galway , the perfect result for both teams , into the lenster final and Galway gone , if Wexford go on and win the game our year would be over , small margins ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

Just thinking about the weekend, I know it would be a miracle but it would be great if there is not a gale blowing down in wexford park as there normally is.

Wondering could we use padraig as our spare man and let him carry a load of ball. Let him attack when we have the ball and make himself available at every opportunity. We need to get our spare man and wing backs to work the space to deliver diagonal to negate the sweeper.

He has the mobility to cover loads of ground defensively so he would have to make good decisions on when to go and when to say. He is unreal at breaking tackles, just think the more he is on the ball the more chance we have. He could create scores and possibly score as well as cutting out ball but can we spare him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I wouldn't overplay this though. Galway have one defeat in their last 17 championship games over the past three seasons. Dublin have won just three games from 11 in the same period, and those wins were against Laois, Offaly and Carlow. If either of these teams has a question mark over it it's Dublin. Galway just happen to be in a different space now where they are judged differently.
    that's a fair point but I think Dublin are in a better place than last year and vastly better than 2016 and 17. They need a breakthrough and I'm sure there confident that could be Saturday in a win or bust situation, they'll fancy themselves at home.

Galway were outstanding in 2017 and the 2018 leinster round Robin but as I said have been inconsistent in the past 12 months not just game to game but within games, I'll go through there championship form in that time.

2018:drew leinster final fair result, won the replay looked to have been out of sight, let kk back in and closed it out in the
    final quarter. Semi final drew with Clare after giving up a big lead, could have lost. Replay won by a point after giving up big lead should have lost. Final lost by a point which flattered them.

2019: unconvincingly beat carlow, drew with Wexford arguably lucky to get that, deserved win on Sunday but nearly gave up big lead again.

This Galway crop started about 12 and since 15 it's a very similar squad.Huge mileage on the clock.i always felt we might get a run on them the other day but the 3rd goal was a killer.I would like to get another crack at them in a Leinster final.I think we're on the right track but We conceded an awful lot from play the other day we need to get our house in order I think that starts from 15 back.We need a balance at midfield and more protection.Looking at our bench the other day we are starting to add a bit if dept so hopefully we can get over the line this weekend it'd be great to get our strongest team onto the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will be interesting to see if cody starts Buckley and Walsh, didn't he start half fit players there in 2017 and it back fired.

C__MC wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if cody starts Buckley and Walsh, didn't he start half fit players there in 2017 and it back fired.

Started a few last year against wexford as well and it wasn't till the 2nd half till he brought on a few lads we got on top.
    I'd say wally isn't far away and Maher will also be close.Buckley has only played one club match this year although I think he was going to bring him on with a few mins to go against galway

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Wexford seem to be hurling really well in the second half of matches and finishing really strong. They are a very fit team with some super athletes.

I don’t think we want it to be a draw or close with 5mins to go on the clock.

They had Galway bet over in Salthill only for missed goal chances and a load of wides.

This is going to be some battle in Wexford Park sat night, Davy will have them wired to the moon!!

conor05 wrote: »
    Wexford seem to be hurling really well in the second half of matches and finishing really strong. They are a very fit team with some super athletes.

I don’t think we want it to be a draw or close with 5mins to go on the clock.

They had Galway bet over in Salthill only for missed goal chances and a load of wides.

This is going to be some battle in Wexford Park sat night, Davy will have them wired to the moon!!
    Davey seems to have our number the last few years.we've become familiar to playing them recently and their style i hope we have a plan to counter their sweeper.
    i don't think you can compare Galways performance in salthill to last Sunday.15 v15 I think we have better hurlers especially if we had a full hand to pick from and also reid is in great form at the moment.Davey will have wexford wired up but id be hoping we'll also be highly driven to get a result especially when our summer is on the line.We need leaders to stand up all over the field

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Team for Saturday;

Brennan
    Holden
    Lawlor
    T.Walsh
    P.Walsh
    Buckley
    Cleere
    Leahy
    Fogarty
    W.Walsh
    Ryan
    TJ
    Blanchfield
    Fennelly
    Donnelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

brookville wrote: »
    Davey seems to have our number the last few years.we've become familiar to playing them recently and their style i hope we have a plan to counter their sweeper.
    i don't think you can compare Galways performance in salthill to last Sunday.15 v15 I think we have better hurlers especially if we had a full hand to pick from and also reid is in great form at the moment.Davey will have wexford wired up but id be hoping we'll also be highly driven to get a result especially when our summer is on the line.We need leaders to stand up all over the field

Hope Cody remembers 2008 when he was in charge of Waterford before the all Ireland started he had lads kicking kilkenny players he will stop at nothing because he is under fierce pressure himself .

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Hope Cody remembers 2008 when he was in charge of Waterford before the all Ireland started he had lads kicking kilkenny players he will stop at nothing because he is under fierce pressure himself .

I'tll be difficult to go to Wx Park and look at the kind of " Dross" Davy thinks is hurling. Wexford are coached in " Hold Release" ad nauseum.ie.catching upper arm of opponent for a split second and releasing before ref spots.Even to use a linesman to detect if is difficult. Anyway, there's a few " Clowns" working with their County Underage teams who are at the same lark and clubs are none too happy having to " Debrief" players when released back to them. Forgot about this " tactic" until lately but a few Watwrford players of a decade ago had also mentioned such " Enlightment" during the Davy era .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

"every" "county" "in" "Ireland" "plays" "the" "spare" "arm"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Joe Daly wrote: »

And we all know what happened after the throw in …….. :p:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

:confused:
    You are drunk , go home boy.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

SteJer wrote: »
    Team for Saturday;

Brennan
    Holden
    Lawlor
    T.Walsh
    P.Walsh
    Buckley
    Cleere
    Leahy
    Fogarty
    W.Walsh
    Ryan
    TJ
    Blanchfield
    Fennelly
    Donnelly

While I like the backs you've chosen I'm not so sure about the midfield pairing. Perhaps give Fogarty a go there or maybe Deegan? I'd start Sheehan and see how he goes. Aylward may be a liability against Wexford, he has history down there, so I agree in dropping him. All six above forwards are big and strong which might the way to take on Wexford. James Maher may be an option for midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Team for Saturday;

Brennan
    Holden
    Lawlor
    T.Walsh
    P.Walsh
    Buckley
    Cleere
    Leahy
    Fogarty
    W.Walsh
    Ryan
    TJ
    Blanchfield
    Fennelly
    Donnelly

W.Walsh definitely confirmed as available then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Considering he wasn't even togged on Sunday I'd be surprised if Wally is fit for a full championship game 6 days later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

If Walsh was not fit to play against Galway Sunday then id imagine he is very doubtful for Wexford 6 days later. Even if selected to play i cant imagine him being fully fit. There is no point playing Buckley, Walsh and Maher if not fully fit. This has back fired on Kilkenny too many times before. Brian Cody always stated he has a fantastic panel of over 40 players, well lets see them. Get rid of some of the dead wood and use this fantastic panel he states he has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

It's only a problem that is highlighted by the media when one county in particular do it though, isn't that right Donal Og and Donal Og eile?

Let's ignore that that the current All-Ireland Champions are by far the worst in the game for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I presume it means If Wally is fit to play. Buckley and Maher were in the subs last Sunday so hopefully they're ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Team for Saturday;

Brennan
    Holden
    Lawlor
    T.Walsh
    P.Walsh
    Buckley
    Cleere
    Leahy
    Fogarty
    W.Walsh
    Ryan
    TJ
    Blanchfield
    Fennelly
    Donnelly

Deegan has to start Saturday. He had a great second half Sunday and is a great man marker. As I mentioned in a previous post I would consider Padraig Walsh for a more advanced role Saturday. If you had Cleere, Fogarty and Deegan making up the half back line with Padraig picking off the loose & breaking balls then this would help negate their sweeper. Plus he provides a scoring threat which we are lacking at the moment. I'd like to see him giving a "free" or third midfielder role where he moves between half back and half forward lines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement