Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Village87 wrote: »
    No just the 26 names

I think there is a chance Wally is going to be ok but its not 100%

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

kk.man wrote: »
    I totally agree with you on Wally v Wexford. For whatever reason he never shines. We do need big stong ball wining half forwards for this game. I think the Galway half back line was the key on Sunday.

Matt O'Hanlon usually picks up Wally in these clashes. I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but they went all the way through Good Counsel together, the pair of them were the midfielders for the football team up through the ages in there and hurled together too. You'd often see in a club game where opponents who could be good friends off the field dont often perform when marking each other for whatever reason, so it may be a factor here.

Or it may not, but just something noteworthy on their history together and the fact O Hanlon always picks him up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Village87 wrote: »
    No just the 26 names

Where on earth did you see these 26 names????

For someone who does not like the management team, interesting you suddenly have an advanced list of the 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

bruschi wrote: »
    Matt O'Hanlon usually picks up Wally in these clashes. I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but they went all the way through Good Counsel together, the pair of them were the midfielders for the football team up through the ages in there and hurled together too. You'd often see in a club game where opponents who could be good friends off the field dont often perform when marking each other for whatever reason, so it may be a factor here.

Or it may not, but just something noteworthy on their history together and the fact O Hanlon always picks him up.
    they lived together for a while too in Dublin.

Wally actually played a bit of rugby with tadhg furlong in new ross too, believe it or not he was an out half

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Eoin Murphy Wally and Buckley not too far off so this is the team I would like to see start.

Murphy
    Joey H. Hugh lawlor. T walsh

J Cleere P Walsh. C Buckley

C Fogarty. J Maher.

Tj Reid. Wally Walsh. R Hogan

Bill ryan C fennelly G alyward.

Don't know if Conor Delaney is ready but if so I would slot him in place of Joey or Tommy Walsh. Paul Murphy can't have any complaint if he is warming the bench how Cody subbed Tommy Walsh before him last day is beyond me. Think Conor Fogarty in midfield will offer us more both defending and pushing forward. That halfback line won't be too bad and we will need John Donnelly Richie Leahy and blanchfield to come on at some stage in the second half as this is going to be a dour arm wrestle of a game. That you can be sure of with this Wexford team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

When and where were the match day squad names announced/published/ released so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Eoin Murphy Wally and Buckley not too far off so this is the team I would like to see start.

Murphy
    Joey H. Hugh lawlor. T walsh

J Cleere P Walsh. C Buckley

C Fogarty. J Maher.

Tj Reid. Wally Walsh. R Hogan

Bill ryan C fennelly G alyward.

Don't know if Conor Delaney is ready but if so I would slot him in place of Joey or Tommy Walsh. Paul Murphy can't have any complaint if he is warming the bench how Cody subbed Tommy Walsh before him last day is beyond me. Think Conor Fogarty in midfield will offer us more both defending and pushing forward. That halfback line won't be too bad and we will need John Donnelly Richie Leahy and blanchfield to come on at some stage in the second half as this is going to be a dour arm wrestle of a game. That you can be sure of with this Wexford team.

We've been burned before by throwing in players who aren't 100%. At least Wally has only missed one game. It would be a risk to throw 3 players who haven't featured in the Championship yet in a crucial game away from home, as well as one who has been out with a knock. Probably less of a risk with Eoin Murphy than the others because he is the best keeper in the country.

Not sure why you'd drop Leahy, he's one of our more exciting younger players, and would complement Fogarty well in the middle. Alyward was very poor the last day and shouldn't be starting IMHO.

Donnelly should be starting I think. He's a great paw on him and the ability to win high ball is crucial, especially against the sweeper system if we persist in just lumping it down the field. Donnelly, TJ and Wally are 3 of our best attackers in the air. We always struggle for any sort of primary possession against the sweeper system Wexford play.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

v3ttel wrote: »
    We've been burned before by throwing in players who aren't 100%. At least Wally has only missed one game. It would be a risk to throw 3 players who haven't featured in the Championship yet in a crucial game away from home, as well as one who has been out with a knock. Probably less of a risk with Eoin Murphy than the others because he is the best keeper in the country.

Not sure why you'd drop Leahy, he's one of our more exciting younger players, and would complement Fogarty well in the middle. Alyward was very poor the last day and shouldn't be starting IMHO.

Donnelly should be starting I think. He's a great paw on him and the ability to win high ball is crucial, especially against the sweeper system if we persist in just lumping it down the field. Donnelly, TJ and Wally are 3 of our best attackers in the air. We always struggle for any sort of primary possession against the sweeper system Wexford play.

The only risk would be Buckley to be honest and he has played a club game so if he is up to speed in training I reckon he will start. Murphy and Wally will be grand I do agree we need ball winners and if Donnelly starts I'm ok with that. But I think he runs out of steam that's why I'd hold him back and bring him in fresh for the second half. The same with Leahy I think he is a fine hurler he seems to thrive once the game has opened up a bit.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

When and where were the match day squad names announced/published/ released so early.

Methinks Village87 was on a wind up...
    Unless he has got access to the programme printers who are under strict secrecy rules.
    Team/Panel should be released about 9pm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Well in fairness he has a point. Pat Lyng and Mossy Keoghan were both starting wing forwards last year in an All-Ireland Quarter final v Limerick in Thurles and now both are not even on the panel.

Doesn't stack up.

I agree completely some of the decisions are crazy.

Richie Reid is no longer on the match day panel either after having a great season last year with Ballyhale!

So now it is wrong to give people chances. Remember a great number of players retired in 14 & 15 & had to be replaced I would think since 2000 Cody has been 99% successful in blooding players. All this is is another not so veiled attempted critisism of Cody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Kil v Wex E Murphy P Murphy H Lawlor T Walsh C Fogarty P Walsh P Deegan A Murphy R Leahy A Mullen B Ryan TJ Reid B Sheehan C Fennelly G Aylward Subs D Brennan J Holden E Morrissey J Cleere C Browne C Buckley R Hogan J Donnelly L Blanchfield J Maher W Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Team v Wexford
    E Murphy
    P Murphy H Lawlor T Walsh
    C Fogarty P Walsh P Deegan
    A Murphy R Leahy
    A Mullen B Ryan TJ Reid
    B Sheehan C Fennelly G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    J Holden
    E Morrissey
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    C Buckley
    R Hogan
    J Donnelly
    L Blanchfield
    J Maher
    W Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

brookville wrote: »
    Kil v Wex E Murphy P Murphy H Lawlor T Walsh C Fogarty P Walsh P Deegan A Murphy R Leahy A Mullen B Ryan TJ Reid B Sheehan C Fennelly G Aylward Subs D Brennan J Holden E Morrissey J Cleere C Browne C Buckley R Hogan J Donnelly L Blanchfield J Maher W Walsh

I can see a few changes before throw in, I'd be surprised if that team started

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

me89 wrote: »

+1

Infairness to our village man he was spot on with the squad.Richie reid and mossy notin the squad but its a strong looking bench.Great to have scruff back in goal he'll be a great addition.Id expect a few changes before throw in it will probably be the same wirh the wexford team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭blackcard

You would think that Walter Walsh and maybe John Donnelly will start, perhaps Cillian Buckley too. Eoin Murphy is a positive too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭blackcard

You would think that Walter Walsh and maybe John Donnelly will start, perhaps Cillian Buckley too. Eoin Murphy is a positive too

The last few days have being dirty enough i hope the weather picks up a bit and we have a nice day tomorrow.Wexford park is going be rocking.We need to start on the right foot.Its going to be intresting to see how davey manages tj.
    Wally they said was touch and go during the week but hopefully he can be fit enough to start and the general feeling is theres going to be a few changes before throw in.If we could throw a wally and richie into the fowards it could hopefully take the pressure off tj.
    We have played wexford a good bit over the last few years and this is our 3rd time already this year we have already lost twice to them.I hope the management and players have a plan to combat this sweeper we've seen how other teams bypass it so hopefully our homework is done and we get the result.Best of luck to the team tomor and also the minor team.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

me89 wrote: »

I’d say that team will start.
    In 2017, we all thought there’d be changes to the team named but Cody stuck with it.
    I hope he uses P Walsh as the spare man. I think he’d be the best player in the backs to pick out a good pass, get a score and clean up loose ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

The idea of that team is to keep everyone guessing. With Walsh Hogan and Buckley on the bench. I personally think it will start as Cody will want experienced options for every line off the bench which he will have with Joey, Buckley, Hogan and Walsh.

I will be disappointed with the management if we have not learned how to deal with the sweeper system. Also i think we need to man mark Chin. Looks like the weather will be ok too. fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

best of luck to all teams today.minor camogie and seniors.bug games for all the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Beautiful day down here in Wexford I'm living two minutes from the park and the sun is shining with blue skies and a light breeze. Lovely hurling weather

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

I will be disappointed with the management if we have not learned how to deal with the sweeper system.

The sweeper system can be "dealt with" by running the ball and men on the shoulder, cross field diagonal balls, or press up the field. Where the combative system breaks down is severe pressure from the other sides forwards so our lads end up hoofing it up or we run out of steam.

Another system we could implement would be to rotate around/set our selves up so that the our spare man is in front of the sweeper.
    Sweeper would either have to hold the position or mark up. We would be disrupting the oppositions entire strategy to win the game. Where it falls down is the open space that it would create in our back line so the midfield and half forward in turn would have to track retreat in waves.

Ritchie hogan is an ideal candidate to play this anti sweeper roll. He ghosts enough that the sweeper would have to follow him. P. Walsh could do this roll roam in much the same way also.
    I'm not saying that it would work, just would like to see us commit to a successful system to combat the sweeper without aimlessly hoofing the ball up the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

5 changes from the team named last night.

1 Eoin Murphy
    2 Joey Holden
    3 Huw Lawlor
    4 Paul Murphy
    5 Paddy Deegan
    6 Padraig Walsh
    7 Enda Morrissey
    8 Conor Fogarty
    9 Cillian Buckley
    10 Walter Walsh
    11 TJ Reid
    12 Richie Leahy
    13 Adrian mullen
    14 Colin Fennelly
    15 Billy Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Interesting to see Kilkenny feeling the need to name a dummy team to play a team that has won just once in its last seven championship matches against a top 9 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Interesting to see Kilkenny feeling the need to name a dummy team to play a team that has won just once in its last seven championship matches against a top 9 team.
    Yawn!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I see Galmoy have a player on the Kilkenny Minors and another chap on the Laois 20s. What's the rule in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

wins for minors, inter and senior camogie,lets make it a full house.great win for senior camogie in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Sky as announced that
    Tommy Walsh
    Alan Murphy
    Bill Sheehan
    & Ger Aylward
    are NOT starting

It seems the team put up earlier is correct,
    E Murphy
    J Holden, H Lawlor,P Murphy
    P Deegan, P Walsh, E Morrissey
    C Fogarty, C Buckley
    W Walsh, TJ Reid, R Leahy
    A Mullen, C Fennelly, B Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I see Galmoy have a player on the Kilkenny Minors and another chap on the Laois 20s. What's the rule in this situation?

I think he would have transferred to Galmoy from Laois or if one of his parents played for a Laois club then he would be entitled to play intercounty for Laois.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement