Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Great battling performance, if we get Cillian back centre back we are a serious team

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

Thought Joey Holden had an excellent game. The lack of match fitness showed in a couple of the players coming back but they all battled to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

walter james maher cillian all not fully fit.need to have fully fit players the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've lost about 10 years off my life after watching that... Edge of the seat stuff because of what was going on in Parnell Park.

Initial reactions...
    The backs played very well tonight. I thought Joey Holden was really great (and I am often critical of him). Murphy, P Walsh and Fogarty were vastly, vastly improved from last week. And Hugh Lawlor had another really good performance.

Wexford did very well to nulify TJ.

Colin Fennelly had a good game - a couple of points and also a few assists, plus he worked his socks off. Adrian Mullen will get better and better with more experience. I think Wally was a good bit off the pace.

I thought we missed a few easy chances in the second half, in particular Richie Leahy missed a couple and then James Maher near the end.

Finally, Wexford scored some brilliant points. Several times they worked the ball in their own 21 and passed it up the pitch to get a score. I'd be interested to hear from some of the posters on this thread who vent their disgust at Wexford's style of play.

I'm looking forward to the Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭blackcard

Padraig Walsh, Joey Holden and Adrian Mullen were probably the standouts. Colin Fennelly tried his heart out. Huw Lawlor had another good game. Good to see James Maher back on the field. Ref left an awful lot off. Eoin Murphy lucky not to concede a penalty. Wexford continually grabbing Kilkenny hurls. Great to have 2 more matches, it will be good for the likes of Lawlor, Mullen, Billy Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

blackcard wrote: »
    Padraig Walsh, Joey Holden and Adrian Mullen were probably the standouts. Colin Fennelly tried his heart out. Huw Lawlor had another good game. Good to see James Maher back on the field. Ref left an awful lot off. Eoin Murphy lucky not to concede a penalty. Wexford continually grabbing Kilkenny hurls. Great to have 2 more matches, it will be good for the likes of Lawlor, Mullen, Billy Ryan

Kilkenny are a work in progress but they are getting there. Wexford pucked alot of ball down on Walsh and gave away some cheap scores but Kilkenny took their chances. It ll be an interesting Leinster final. All to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Will post full reaction later but one thing that frustrated me was the sheer amount of times Wexford lads were pulling the hurl out of our lads hands.

The scamps.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    5 changes from the team named last night.

1 Eoin Murphy
    2 Joey Holden
    3 Huw Lawlor
    4 Paul Murphy
    5 Paddy Deegan
    6 Padraig Walsh
    7 Enda Morrissey
    8 Conor Fogarty
    9 Cillian Buckley
    10 Walter Walsh
    11 TJ Reid
    12 Richie Leahy
    13 Adrian mullen
    14 Colin Fennelly
    15 Billy Ryan

Have to say this was a serious risk taken by Cody, but really paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Have to say this was a serious risk taken by Cody, but really paid off.

Not so sure it did .Joey being the exception
    Lads looked like they needed the game.
    Can only improve

Not so sure it did .Joey being the exception
    Lads looked like they needed the game.
    Can only improve

They definitely tired as the game went on, but I thought there was a much better shape to the team than in the previous matches, it was vital that Kilkenny fronted up from the start tonight and I thought that having those 5 changes in place ensured that

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »
    They definitely tired as the game went on, but I thought there was a much better shape to the team than in the previous matches, it was vital that Kilkenny fronted up from the start tonight and I thought that having those 5 changes in place ensured that

As things worked out .We are in a great position now .with the dropped lads trying to reclaim their spots and the returned lads improving for the game.get a result in the Leinster final and we could be in a great position for a simifinal.
    Might be a summer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

I was behind one of the goals with the sun facing into us so I’ll have to rewatch it and see but initial reactions are: If we were offered a draw before the game we would have taken it all day so it’s a good result and we top the group. I feel we could have won it though but it prob worked out for the best with a very winnable final vs Wexford now. The changes definitely worked and were setup much better and beside a 10/15 spell we worked the ball much better. It’s a wonder how hogan,Murphy, sheenan and Ger didn’t get on today after playing large amounts last week. I still feel our generally striking off the ball is off, leahy, despite picking up great positions and driving really well had a few desperate strikes. Maher the same I taught he was slow but that’s expected and he’ll be a huge boost. Adrian had an up and down day but he stood up for himself even after taking a hug shoulder from Ryan and scored well with a few bad wides. His catch and shot inde second half was pure class. I think he should be left inside he’s such a threat. Billy quite again. Deegan was a loss and the backs were much better and tighter today. Hanlon nullified TJ completely but Colin had a very good game he’s such a team player. Buckley is a massive leader in this team and Walsh as the spare man did very very well beside few bad passes and clearneces inde first half and few bad pot shots. Taught the ref was woeful and Wexford got frees a lot easier. Wexford had a few quality scores themself I know he made a mistake for the goal but foley is a great sweeper and they’re good at working the ball into space where they pick up great scores. Apparently it was a good game on the tv and I look forward to watching it and the Leinster final. Wexford will travel in some numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

As things worked out .We are in a great position now .with the dropped lads trying to reclaim their spots and the returned lads improving for the game.get a result in the Leinster final and we could be in a great position for a simifinal.
    Might be a summer yet.

I actually think we might sneek into an all Ireland...wheather we win one or not is another matter.

Final is on in 2 weeks time. The loser is out 2 weeks later with the winner having a 4 week break. It would be a good year if we could get to a semi final

kk.man wrote: »
    I actually think we might sneek into an all Ireland...wheather we win one or not is another matter.

Shush. stay down in the long grassðŸ†

kk.man wrote: »

We were 1 point from having an early end to the championship so wouldn't be getting too excited

blackcard wrote: »
    We were 1 point from having an early end to the championship so wouldn't be getting too excited

Those are the margins in hurling. Very little between teams in Leinster.great to be back in a Leinster final for the new lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Delighted for Joey. Thought he had a great game. Never put a foot wrong. Even managed to get himself on the scoreboard.
    Buckley didn’t look right at all. He appeared to be limping going off.
    Walter wasn’t his usual self and faded.
    Thought Richie might have been sprung. The way Wexford set up, we needed someone who could score from distance.
    Good to see Hanlon get the line. He’s had that coming a long time against us.
    We probably could’ve won but a draw was ironically a better result all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The short puck out didn't work for Kilkenny.
    Joey Holden made clearances look easy - the best positive for Kk tonight.
    Others wasted too much time getting rid of ball and got caught out on occasions.
    I hate that sun. It must have been difficult for the players.
    The ref let so much go,that some frees were taken from the hand.

murphy ex cellent
    murphy v good
    lawllor excellent
    joey excellent
    padraig excellent
    mortisey decent
    deegan v good
    fogarty decent
    buckley average
    walter average
    leahy good shooting poor
    mullen v good should really help his confidence
    tj.average
    ryan poor
    colin.excellent
    maher poor
    cleere decent
    blanch nit long enough on to comment

think we will see hogan and ger in croker.trainung should be interesting as we know cody is not afraid to change.
    also mention great wins by the inter and senior camogie today.also minors in leinster final also v wex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Be great Craic tobeat Tipp in Semi & Lk in Final 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭amber69

Be great Craic tobeat Tipp in Semi & Lk in Final 😀

Getting a long way ahead of yourself. Be great to beat Wexford in the Leinster final.

2 more matches guarnteed can only be good for this squad.competition for places now.key for me is 1 or 2 forwards really nailing down a place.ryan ger sheehan all have had chances but not nailed down a spot.same for mullen up to tonights game.also a midfield pairing.big plus of the champiobship for me has been huw lawlor.cant see delaney at full back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I see Galmoy have a player on the Kilkenny Minors and another chap on the Laois 20s. What's the rule in this situation?

Part of Galmoy parish is in Co laois, a couple of years ago a Russel chap hurled with Laois played club with Galmoy because the part he lived in was Co laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Great result this evening. Even better having booted Galway out of Leinster on their 10th anniversary of joining. A real Leinster final to look forward to now. Wexford had a lot of advantages this evening and failed to capitalise. We were playing our 2nd tough match in 6 days, had 4-5 players involved that were not 100% fit and/or lacking match practice and they were at home. Neutral venue, 2 week break and those 4-5 players sharper the next day gives me great hope of winning the Leinster Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Great day for all our teams representing our County to day, great to be back in croke park in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

SteJer wrote: »
    Great result this evening. Even better having booted Galway out of Leinster on their 10th anniversary of joining. A real Leinster final to look forward to now. Wexford had a lot of advantages this evening and failed to capitalise. We were playing our 2nd tough match in 6 days, had 4-5 players involved that were not 100% fit and/or lacking match practice and they were at home. Neutral venue, 2 week break and those 4-5 players sharper the next day gives me great hope of winning the Leinster Final.

I go along with that. To get that result down in Wexford Park in that environment was very special.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Murphy and the backs did well throughout.

Fogarty came in to it more in the second half.

Buckley is clearly still nowhere near 100%. To see an ice pack strapped to his knee and walking with a very obvious limp after the match looks worrying for him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he plays no further part this year.

Leahy’s shooting was awful. He probably will never be that bad again. For me you either start him at midfield or on the bench.

Billy Ryan is very inconsistent. I can’t see him starting the next day.

Walter is struggling badly with that ankle injury. I’d say he’s 50-50 for the Leinster Final.

Mullen had a good game, hopefully he continues to improve.

TJ surely can’t have as quiet a match again the next day. At least we’ve shown that we can still dig out a result without TJ scoring from play.

Fennelly had the beating of Ryan everytime he was on the ball. I think Fennelly is not 100% after the hamstring he picked up against Carlow. The two week break will help him recover more.

A fit James Maher would seriously improve our midfield.

One thing I was disappointed by was very few of our lads were willing to take on their man when they gained possession. Most of the time they opted for a quick shot which lead to some awful wides. I expect them to have learned their lesson for the next day.

Based on today the team I’d pick for the Leinster Final (assuming Walter & Deegan are fit and Buckley is not) is;

Murphy
    Murphy
    Lawlor
    Morrissey
    Holden
    Walsh
    Deegan
    Maher
    Fogarty
    TJ
    Walter
    Mullen
    Alyward/Sheehan
    Fennelly
    Donnelly/Blanchfield

I think Billy Ryan & Leahy are better coming off the bench at the moment. We need one of Donnelly or Blanchfield to offer more of an aerial threat. With the correct ball in to Alyward/Sheehan I think they would have the beating of Reck or Donoghue.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

citykat wrote: »
    Delighted for Joey. Thought he had a great game. Never put a foot wrong. Even managed to get himself on the scoreboard.
    Buckley didn’t look right at all. He appeared to be limping going off.
    Walter wasn’t his usual self and faded.
    Thought Richie might have been sprung. The way Wexford set up, we needed someone who could score from distance.
    Good to see Hanlon get the line. He’s had that coming a long time against us.
    We probably could’ve won but a draw was ironically a better result all round.

Still we didn't get beaten on our home patch even with 14 men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Grats wrote: »
    I go along with that. To get that result down in Wexford Park in that environment was very special.

Go back to last Sunday - Galway were a different animal and KK lost by one point - trust Mr. Cody . -

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement