Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Bill Sheehan and Mossy didn't look the colour of county players out there

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Another disappointing display from a KK team. This is getting all too common. Where are our goal getters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

only starting hurling the last ten minutes.if donnelly had to get that goal who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Terrible match. Actually fūćking shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

brookville wrote: »
    only starting hurling the last ten minutes.if donnelly had to get that goal who knows.

If we had gotten the free at the end of the first half, or if we'd taken a point with the one out beyond the 21 in the second (resulted in a point for Galway instead, crazy to go for it from there), if we'd gotten the point that was not allowed there at the end.

But realistically that was a match where we were comprehensively bet and the score flattered us, massively. Forwards were roasted all day. Much better team on paper than that performance, there's something beyond just the quality of managers that's broken at under 21 in KK. What's the story like? It seems out teams fall off a cliff once they get to this grade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

Bill Sheehan is not a county player in any grade

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

laneykin wrote: »
    Under 21 is straight knock out isn’t it?

Yep. We're out.

If we had gotten the free at the end of the first half, or if we'd taken a point with the one out beyond the 21 in the second (resulted in a point for Galway instead, crazy to go for it from there), if we'd gotten the point that was not allowed there at the end.

But realistically that was a match where we were comprehensively bet and the score flattered us, massively. Forwards were roasted all day. Much better team on paper than that performance, there's something beyond just the quality of managers that's broken at under 21 in KK. What's the story like? It seems out teams fall off a cliff once they get to this grade.
    I agree we were ran ragged for the first ten or 15 in the 2nd half.It has to be a concern that we struggle so much at this grade we can produce good minor teams but can't seem to make much progress at this level.This wasnt a great galway team but we probably lost it in the first half some bad wides.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Pat Treacy wrote:
    Bill Sheehan is not a county player in any grade

He was thrown around the place by a relatively light corner back. Love his attitude but he is being blown out of it physically time and time again

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Another disappointing display from a KK team. This is getting all too common. Where are our goal getters

Must have been if you are on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Mullen and Leahy (although he played well) struck some amount of stupid wides between them too, the game should of been easily won.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Mossy Keoghan is a forward all this year with Kilkenny seniors.
    He is a forward for years with Tullaroan.

Kilkenny U21 Management play him centre back tonight where he was absolutely lost.

Alot of the spine and team shape was wrong alongside the lack of a real cohesive team plan. Galway left Kilkenny in the game but taking that aside, the performance was very poor this evening.

Basics of first touch, striking to find a man, getting passes off direct to the man all very poor.

Richie Leahy makes some very silly decisions in possession and has a shoot on sight policy that badly needs to be reigned in and addressed. He's not playing u21 for Rower Inistioge and needs to play it to the man in the best position.

Not sure what all the hype about Adrian Mullen is either. I've seen him a number of times now and yet to identify the substance behind all this talk about him is.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

How did the ref not give a free in at end of first half? They went up on got a point then. Looked like a point at the end and we won the puck out afterwards so ref would have let us play on but instead it was waved wide. Ended up losing by 2 points and we had 2 frees well out and we went for goal twice and missed, yes heinsight is 20/20 but take your point and momentum builds more.

With that being said I did think we were very poor. Keoghan was terrible at 6. Leahy got few great scores but had a lot of wides and gave away silly frees. Adrian nearly scored 2 goals but again a lot of wides. Donnolly unlucky for the goal at the end but expected more, had a few chances. Once again sheenan was thrown around the place. 5 wides in a row at the start very poor too. Disappointing as Galway weren't fantastic and Wexford are well beatable. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Must have been if you are on here

When was the last good performance from a Kilkenny u21 team? It's worrying. Last year doesn't count, they got a handy route to final and got found out big time in that final

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Mossy Keoghan is a forward all this year with Kilkenny seniors.
    He is a forward for years with Tullaroan.

Kilkenny U21 Management play him centre back tonight where he was absolutely lost.

Alot of the spine and team shape was wrong alongside the lack of a real cohesive team plan. Galway left Kilkenny in the game but taking that aside, the performance was very poor this evening.

Basics of first touch, striking to find a man, getting passes off direct to the man all very poor.

Richie Leahy maked some very silly decisions in possession and has a shoot on sight policy that badly needs to be reigned in and addressed. He's not playing u21 for Rower Inistioge.

Not sure what all the hype about Adrian Mullen is either. I've seen him a number of times now and yet to identify the substance behind all this talk about him is.
    I thought mullen had a good first half conor hennessy was poor.I couldn't believe how quite mossy was.i know sheehan is a little worker but his striking is poor for a lad on the senior fringes.overall im very dissapointed with tonight i know they probably didn't play to their potential but i thought this was a good group and we cant keep blaming managers becacuse by all accounts dj and the team had done everything right.
    I see Tom mullally had a great win with wexford over a fancied dublin side

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Kilkenny teams seem to be over doing it looking for Goals,
    Take the points when they are on , so often the final pass gets intercepted,
    Galway were very successful last year without Goals, it's hugely important for momentum and confidence to keep the score board ticking over ,

I thought mullen had a good first half conor hennessy was poor.I couldn't believe how quite mossy was.i know sheehan is a little worker but his striking is poor for a lad on the senior fringes.overall im very dissapointed with tonight i know they probably didn't play to their potential but i thought this was a good group and we cant keep blaming managers becacuse by all accounts dj and the team had done everything right.

Putting Mossy Keoghan centre back I think the management have something to answer about that when he should have been up further driving forward towards goal. I never saw the man playing in the backs all his life.

Pat Treacy wrote: »

Putting Mossy Keoghan centre back I think the management have something to answer about that when he should have been up further driving forward towards goal. I never saw the man playing in the backs all his life.
    I suppose they felt tonmy walsh had to go back to 3 and I thought he done ok there and were hoping mossy could shore up the defence but it didnt work out he was annymous

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Think mossy played at the back for kierans.lack of a game rwally showed.galway were average at best.agree on sheehan not strong enough .losing is one thing,lising like that is hard to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

I suppose they felt tonmy walsh had to go back to 3 and I thought he done ok there and were hoping mossy could shore up the defence but it didnt work out he was annymous

Tommy Walsh has missed 4 months hurling post groin operation. Trained for about 2 weeks yet expected to step in full back having played 1 match (at centre back). Mossy Keoghan 6 looks a very foolish decision now. Conor Hennessy has not the hurling at all to play 11. Two wing backs hardly hit a ball. Overall poor show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Obviously you don't watch schools hurling. Played centre back on the Kieran's team that got to an All Ireland final. The gamble obviously back fired tonight but there wasn't a obvious alternative, though i would have liked to have seen Matt Kenny brought on earlier.

My God the bitching and moaning that goes on here is embarrassing.
    Kilkenny "falling off a cliff" at under 21 level, three years ago at Minor we lost to Galway by 2 points tonight we lost by 2 points, hardly a dramatic regression in fact to use racing terminology the form was in the book.
    Guys who confidently predicted us to win unwilling to admit that they were wrong about this Galway team and continue to dismiss them as average! What yardstick are we using here? We are talking young lads starting out in their adult career.
    And as for the lads having a go at Adrian Mullen. He's 18 years of age, he's a serious talent with huge potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Mossy not in the game at all but i can understand management picking him at 6. On paper our forward line looked strong so putting mossy at 6 looked like balancing the team out.
    When i saw tommy walsh named at 3 i was worried though. Has super potential but he's only just back from long term injury. Was a big ask to go into a pivotal position but what other options had we for full back?
    Thought Cathal Mcgrath should be first sub into the backline who were all in trouble.
    We completely lacked composure in the second half. Some of our decison making dreadful. Carey going for goal when 5 pts down pure madness. DJ himself wouldn't have scored from there.
    Overall a very leaky full back line and compete lack of creativity and composure up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Kilkenny "falling off a cliff" at under 21 level, three years ago at Minor we lost to Galway by 2 points tonight we lost by 2 points, hardly a dramatic regression in fact to use racing terminology the form was in the book.
    Guys who confidently predicted us to win unwilling to admit that they were wrong about this Galway team and continue to dismiss them as average! What yardstick are we using here? We are talking young lads starting out in their adult career.
    And as for the lads having a go at Adrian Mullen. He's 18 years of age, he's a serious talent with huge potential!
    3 years ago we lost that minor game by 2 pts but were the better team for long periods. Tonight the scoreline flattered us.

Obviously you don't watch schools hurling. Played centre back on the Kieran's team that got to an All Ireland final. The gamble obviously back fired tonight but there wasn't a obvious alternative, though i would have liked to have seen Matt Kenny brought on earlier.

Are we talking about schools hurling where did he hurl with kilkenny seniors this year in the league got man of the match in one of the games scored five points.

minty81 wrote: »
    3 years ago we lost that minor game by 2 pts but were the better team for long periods. Tonight the scoreline flattered us.

Wouldn't agree there. The goals killed us tonight, first two of which came off individual errors which happens. The decision to go for a goal from a 21 yard free to bring it back to a 4 point game with 8minutes to go including injury time which appear to come from one of selectors seemed odd at the time and more so afterwards when you consider it resulted in a 2 point swing, the final winning margin. Don't know why we weren't awarded a free in at the end of the first half for a late tackle on Bill Sheehan which resulted in a booking. Maybe if there's any qualified refs on here they could explain that.

Tonight's game could have gone our way, whether we would have deserved it is another matter!

Are we talking about schools hurling where did he hurl with kilkenny seniors this year in the league got man of the match in one of the games scored five points.

Yes, schools hurling. Who was the obvious alternative? We are all so wise after the event!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Terrible display, especially by the forwards. Yet again Bill Sheehan gives another inept, pointless display - I am amazed by the number of chances he has been given without producing anything. A one trick pony and its not even a very good trick to begin with.

The display tonight was like a mirror of the seniors display in the championship so far. I think Galway senior management will be licking their lips at what they saw tonight.

Leahy was the only shining light from the night.

Winter is coming...🀀

Terrible display, especially by the forwards. Yet again Bill Sheehan gives another inept, pointless display - I am amazed by the number of chances he has been given without producing anything. A one trick pony and its not even a very good trick to begin with.

The display tonight was like a mirror of the seniors display in the championship so far. I think Galway senior management will be licking their lips at what they saw tonight.

Leahy was the only shining light from the night.

Winter is coming...🀀

Just what we need another smart arse keyboard warrior! Would you just pause for one second and consider how the players are feeling tonight? They have been training since last November play one match lose by 2 points and that's it! And what thanks do they get? Idiots like you calling them "terrible " and "inept " Kilkenny hurlers need "supporters" like you like they need a hole in the head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I thought Mullen was Kilkenny's best player in the first half. Faded a good bit after that but as you say he's only 18 and in the middle of exams.

I didn't really understand the overconfidence beforehand. Pretty much that entire Galway side has All-Ireland minor medals. They beat much of this Kilkenny team at minor 3 years ago over two epic games. They added a few new players from another All-Ireland minor winning side from last year. They could even afford to do without their best forward from 2015, Jack Coyne, who is out injured.

Was always going to be a tough game for both sides. Galway just did the most damage when they had their spell on top. Got a few goals and could even afford to hit a rake of wides at the same time. Left the door open for a Kilkenny fight back which was almost successful. Was always a 50/50 game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement