Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

MfMan wrote: »
    Debatable given our most recent head-to-head. However, I asked in semi-seriousness given a 'duirt bean liom' story I heard at the weekend from a good KK source.

Ha ha. I hope all Galwegians aren’t as gullible. That Rumour is older than Cyril’s suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Live coverage has started on TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Refreshing to see us throw the ball around and play with a game plan probably over doing it at times tho.

Both teams look to be struggling with the pitch at times... the surface looks quite poor?

The lads are making some nice passes and the game plan is good but some of the shot choices are not great... either being blocked down very easily or from a poor position.

DJ would've been happy with that dummy hand pass and goal from Cody :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Well done all in Tullamore to night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭blackcard

Well deserved win for Kilkenny. Look to have decent forwards in Mullen, Cody, Brassil, Brennan and Ryan. 2 Kilkenny points waved wide. Conor Flynn looks slow at full back but overall a good performance. Half back line of Heart,Carey and Blanchfield did well

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭conor05

DJ would've been happy with that dummy hand pass and goal from Cody :)

Has the makings of a great corner forward. Was well able to mix it up at senior for Ballyhale too, a hardy yoke.

How long before the naysayers pronounce DJ as the second coming for the Cats? Nice win tonight. Made awful hard work of it. Probably should have won by double if not triple the final margin. Looked a poor Gy team though. Can’t imagine Donoghue will mine many nuggets out of that.

Yeah Galway were poor and we should have won by more. Nonetheless, well done to the team and management and a much needed boost for KK GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭blackcard

citykat wrote: »
    How long before the naysayers pronounce DJ as the second coming for the Cats? Nice win tonight. Made awful hard work of it. Probably should have won by double if not triple the final margin. Looked a poor Gy team though. Can’t imagine Donoghue will mine many nuggets out of that.
    Galway were AI champions at u18 2 years ago. Nothing wrong with deservedly beating them

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Well it has to be someone. Cody will eventually retire, whether it's the end of this year or next.
    They're 3 frontrunners for the job, DJ, Henry and Eddie. Who would you prefer?

blackcard wrote: »
    Galway were AI champions at u18 2 years ago. Nothing wrong with deservedly beating them

Nothing wrong at all. But what happened 2 years ago doesn’t matter a ****, obviously. What did Gy score from play tonight. 1-4/5. You won’t go far on that regardless of your pedigree.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jesus some people are never happy. Delighted with the performance and the result.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Well it has to be someone. Cody will eventually retire, whether it's the end of this year or next.
    They're 3 frontrunners for the job, DJ, Henry and Eddie. Who would you prefer?

You’re 100% right. It does have to be someone. Until the position becomes available and lads throw their hat in the ring, I can’t honestly say who I’d prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

You’re 100% right. It does have to be someone. Until the position becomes available and lads throw their hat in the ring, I can’t honestly say who I’d prefer.

I have the impression that DJ would prefer to work with underage teams, looks to be really enjoying his time with Carlow IT and the under 20s, it's great to have him involved with the underage teams. Henry obviously has the Shamrocks and the TV gig so it might not be something he wants in the immediate future, Eddie would definitely take it. Has done very well with Laois but I wasnt all that impressed with how he managed the under 21s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Well done to our u20s tonight a much needed win at this grade and after a bad week for the county it was a much needed boost.
    Couldn't attend tonight so from just watching it on tv i thought it was nearly a reverse from last year.I thought we were much the better team but our shooting and decision making at times let us down.galway came with a late flurry but we got a score at the opposite end each time keeping our noses in front.We created a few good scoring chances but codys goal was a brillant piece of skill and as i said the other day it wouldnt suprise me to see 4 of the shamrocks lads in the fowards next year.He is a finishing corner foward something we have being missing since eddie brennans time but i thought both sean ryan and Aaron brennan were also very impressive.
    The winning line tonight was our half back line.Blanchfield done the simple things well and has come on a ton since breaking onto the bridge team last year.Carey id have reservations about getting back but very solid coming out.
    Mullen was a good bit of the boil but got alot of attension but his after 3 matches in the last week.Evan shefflin wasnt as influential either
    The game itself seemed dead and galway will be dissapointed especially with this crop winning minor.Jack canning alao a big loss for them.I was surprised eamon o sheas son didnt come on i know he was minor last year but he looked very good.
    Great to get the win and we have plenty to work on going to wexford where things are on a high but if be hopefull we'll be able get a few lads off this over the next few years.Mikey butler looks like a tenacious corner back and thankfully a few scoring fowards.We tried to play a certain way and mixed the long and short it didnt always work but hopefully we're adopting to the modern game underage which will stand to us going foward and at least we get another 2 days out at least

• Registered Users Posts: 14 takeyourpoint

Well done to the u20s tonight -great to get the win. Didn’t get to Tullamore either but thanks to tg4 for showing the match. A good performance especially in the halfback line & From Eoin Cody but feel there still room for improvement and a few things to be tweaked which I am sure DJ will have sorted before the Wexford game.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Nice performance .loads left in the tank.some very poor options taken late on as regards shot selection. Could have been costly but for masons block at the end .great to see lads getting on the ball and getting the heads up and throwing it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

It took Kilkenny from 1963 until 1993 a total of 31 years inclusive to add an additional 11 All Ireland titles to those previously won. In the same period Kilkenny contested a further 8 giving a success rate of 58% . Under Brian Cody (not Including this year as that has yet to be decided) Kilkenny have won 11 all Irelands and lost four in just 19 years giving a success rate of 73%. When Brian Cody took over Kilkenny we were behind both Tipperary and Cork in the roll of honor and well behind Cork now we have a fairly sizable lead. Those on here full of statistics (Bull stats) trying to full down Cody would do well to remember these are the only statistics that count. No other stats matter you can blow smoke down every chimney in every house in every county in Ireland it wont change one thing, these are the Only Stats that matter

Kilkenny were in the 2016 Final missed out on the 17 and 18. The 16 Final was won by Tipperary who play a style of hurling 15 against 15 very similar to Kilkenny as did Galway in 17. Both Tipp and Galway play a style of hurling a hell of a lot closer to the Kilkenny style (or Cody style) than they are to the Limerick Cork and Wexford styles. Wexford, Cork, Clare and Limerick will have to win All Ireland titles consistantly for me to slavishly following the new bible and a lot more than the 5 they have managed to win between the four of them 1999.

For people here to be calling for Brian Codys head is shameful, for people here to say he does not understand the modern game reflects more on their own lack of knowledge than on his but the worst comment by a mile here was the comment about him looking like a deer caught in headlights during the 16 final with minutes to go. I expected a lot more from the individual who posted that or as another posted Ger Alyward went for goal because he was afraid to pass the ball when the reality is Ger did not have the skill, the vision but mostly the desire to pass is bring the tirades against Cody down to the ludicrous level..
    A man who led Kilkenny to 15 all Irelands winning 11 of them is no ones fool and does not take fright to easily. We have been spoiled by success thanks to Brian Cody and like most spoiled children when they no longer get what they think they deserve they howl and ball and throw tantrums and we have gathered a right motley crew of them here.
    if ones cares to note it is the very same people who could not bring them selves to congratulate the under 20 team tonight with out adding BUT.

• Advertisement

It took Kilkenny from 1963 until 1993 a total of 31 years inclusive to add an additional 11 All Ireland titles to those previously won. In the same period Kilkenny contested a further 8 giving a success rate of 58% . Under Brian Cody (not Including this year as that has yet to be decided) Kilkenny have won 11 all Irelands and lost four in just 19 years giving a success rate of 73%. When Brian Cody took over Kilkenny we were behind both Tipperary and Cork in the roll of honor and well behind Cork now we have a fairly sizable lead. Those on here full of statistics (Bull stats) trying to full down Cody would do well to remember these are the only statistics that count. No other stats matter you can blow smoke down every chimney in every house in every county in Ireland it wont change one thing, these are the Only Stats that matter

Kilkenny were in the 2016 Final missed out on the 17 and 18. The 16 Final was won by Tipperary who play a style of hurling 15 against 15 very similar to Kilkenny as did Galway in 17. Both Tipp and Galway play a style of hurling a hell of a lot closer to the Kilkenny style (or Cody style) than they are to the Limerick Cork and Wexford styles. Wexford, Cork, Clare and Limerick will have to win All Ireland titles consistantly for me to slavishly following the new bible and a lot more than the 5 they have managed to win between the four of them 1999.

For people here to be calling for Brian Codys head is shameful, for people here to say he does not understand the modern game reflects more on their own lack of knowledge than on his but the worst comment by a mile here was the comment about him looking like a deer caught in headlights during the 16 final with minutes to go. I expected a lot more from the individual who posted that or as another posted Ger Alyward went for goal because he was afraid to pass the ball when the reality is Ger did not have the skill, the vision but mostly the desire to pass is bring the tirades against Cody down to the ludicrous level..
    A man who led Kilkenny to 15 all Irelands winning 11 of them is no ones fool and does not take fright to easily. We have been spoiled by success thanks to Brian Cody and like most spoiled children when they no longer get what they think they deserve they howl and ball and throw tantrums and we have gathered a right motley crew of them here.
    if ones cares to note it is the very same people who could not bring them selves to congratulate the under 20 team tonight with out adding BUT.

Think Cody has done enough to silence criticism over the years. But that doesn't but His teams and decisions beyond analysis. Just seems slow to sort a problem. Trusting the players to solve problems themselves. Take Paul Murphy against
    Galway on a yellow and the ref counting frees into his face .and we replace the man in the other corner.richie Hogan for 50seconds the last day.

Think Cody has done enough to silence criticism over the years. But that doesn't but His teams and decisions beyond analysis. Just seems slow to sort a problem. Trusting the players to solve problems themselves. Take Paul Murphy against
    Galway on a yellow and the ref counting frees into his face .and we replace the man in the other corner.richie Hogan for 50seconds the last day.

No problem at all with what you say. He is not perfect but over the years he has got an awful lot more right than wrong.There is no harm in constructive criticism none what- so-ever, the personalized remarks though and the "granny told me stories" are not OK. He has earned the respect of any genuine hurling follower.

No problem at all with what you say. He is not perfect but over the years he has got an awful lot more right than wrong.There is no harm in constructive criticism none what- so-ever, the personalized remarks though and the "granny told me stories" are not OK. He has earned the respect of any genuine hurling follower.

Most of that kind of talk is born out of ignorance and jealousy. He has proven himself more often than not.i suppose my fear for him is that he could tarnish his reputation by being blamed for the dip in quality of the current players. It's obvious enough to any one that goes to club games how scarce top level forwards are in Kilkenny. You could see 3 ballyhale lads in their
    Over the next few years but we will need about 7 to join them if we are to return to the top tier hard to find

Most of that kind of talk is born out of ignorance and jealousy. He has proven himself more often than not.i suppose my fear for him is that he could tarnish his reputation by being blamed for the dip in quality of the current players. It's obvious enough to any one that goes to club games how scarce top level forwards are in Kilkenny. You could see 3 ballyhale lads in their
    Over the next few years but we will need about 7 to join them if we are to return to the top tier hard to find
    Tonight we had an under 20 team who lost at under 18 to the same opposition due to a disgraceful refereeing decision. Not alone did they win tonight they won well despite the scoreline saying it was closer than it actually should have been.When one takes into account the opposition won the minor All Ireland titles in 2017 and 2018 this was a magnificent achievement by Kilkenny and yet what did we get from some posters, not Kilkenny were good but Galway were poor. With the under 18 champions from not just last year but the year before to select from how in the name of God could Galway be poor. Galway were made to look poor and that is the truth of tonight. I am not going to mention players by name but there are players of outstanding talent on this Kilkenny under 20 team team and not just in the forwards as that is some half back line and young Carey is well up there with the best. A malaise has crept into this forum of never praising the good but rather concentrate and any perceived weakness and analyise it to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Tonight we had an under 20 team who lost at under 18 to the same opposition due to a disgraceful refereeing decision. Not alone did they win tonight they won well despite the scoreline saying it was closer than it actually should have been.When one takes into account the opposition won the minor All Ireland titles in 2017 and 2018 this was a magnificent achievement by Kilkenny and yet what did we get from some posters, not Kilkenny were good but Galway were poor. With the under 18 champions from not just last year but the year before to select from how in the name of God could Galway be poor. Galway were made to look poor and that is the truth of tonight. I am not going to mention players by name but there are players of outstanding talent on this Kilkenny under 20 team team and not just in the forwards as that is some half back line and young Carey is well up there with the best. A malaise has crept into this forum of never praising the good but rather concentrate and any perceived weakness and analyise it to death.

Well said on this post and your defence of Brian. Didn’t win Minor in 2017, unlucky. Lost Minor Final ( U17) last year due to sheer physical size of Galway. Last night as 20/19 / 18 year olds gave a fine exhibition of KK hurling... long ball, short ball, intelligent ball. We have in IMO two of the best U20 forwards in the country. Galway were bigger but we were well ahead skill wise. Lads calling for Brian to go is ridiculous. Every manager/ coach has good and bad days... Last night good for DJ, bad for Lynskey, opposite last year. Eddie good last Sunday, bad 2016. Davy Good last Sunday, bad several times, good 2013 and so it is...... No body comes close to Brian Cody as regards good days. Henry, JJ, Eddie, Noel Hickey, Tommy, Jackie, Derek Lyng, Mick Kavanagh, Brian Hogan, Richie Hogan have zero All Ireland Minor medals between them. Brian Cody helped turn them into legends.Regardless of systems usually the best team wins. Limerick top dogs at the moment in senior, out of U20 on Wednesday night losing to Cork. The wheel turns and It will turn again very shortly for KK. It will be rightly Brian’s decision what he wants to do with that wheel. The greatest manager ever, ripped apart here by an individual who should know better

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

We are entitled to call for Cody to go as we pay our money to follow the team like everyone else. It is not shameful or anything like that and we are entitled to our opinion. We all think the same that Brian Cody has been fantastic for Kilkenny Hurling since 1998, but surely anyone that stays in a position for over 20 years things go stale. When things went wrong before like in 2001, 2004/2005, Brian Cody changed his whole back room team and we won All Ireland's after it. That has not been done in the last few years. Our S & C of all the senior players is no where near that of Wexford, Cork, Limerick or Dublin. We are way behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

JohnCougar wrote: »
    We are entitled to call for Cody to go as we pay our money to follow the team like everyone else. It is not shameful or anything like that and we are entitled to our opinion. We all think the same that Brian Cody has been fantastic for Kilkenny Hurling since 1998, but surely anyone that stays in a position for over 20 years things go stale. When things went wrong before like in 2001, 2004/2005, Brian Cody changed his whole back room team and we won All Ireland's after it. That has not been done in the last few years. Our S & C of all the senior players is no where near that of Wexford, Cork, Limerick or Dublin. We are way behind.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. With regards s&c I don't think that was the reason we lost to Wexford. Rather we lost because we took less than 60% of our chances whereas Wexford took 85%. I totally agree that we need freshening up with the management team but based on the stats from the match, Cody can't be blamed for the poor return of possession won. We had none more wides than Wexford so the winning of the match was in our own hands.

Davy Fitz uses every possible advantage to win a match and the press and supporters are heaping praise on him for his style. The stats show that the praise could very easily have turned to ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

I dont think anyone disputes the greatness of Brian cody and what he has done. What alot of people are wondering is since 2017, why are kilkenny tactically poor in modern games, why is he picking teams on the Friday that are not true and why has he not used players or made changes in critical situations like last Sunday.

The man is a legend to be Fair. Kilkenny are a great hurling county but right now the whole thing feels like a circus.

Can he win a 12th with kk? Its extremely doubtful judging on what we have seen so far since.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Good performance last night from what a decent test from a Galway team who looked like they really missed Jack Canning physical presence in full forward line. Plenty of positives for KK while plenty of things to improve on but all in all should be good game against a Wexford team on a high.

Thought KK drive really came from a dominant half back line. Most impressed with Blanchfield, Heary and Cody. Full back line looked more assured this time. I really rate and like the look of Flynn as a CB or FB as he is really good at protecting the ball by getting his body between the ball and his marker every time. The reservation I have about him is the way he always has to roll lift the ball and never uses the jab lift particularly when the jab is most suited. Shefflin for me is a very good physical player but needs to improve striking on his left. Iv seen him do it with Ballyhale too but too often......he goes on solos but because he is reluctant to use his left side he gets bottled up or caught with a hook or block. I dont think Cody will be called up to senior panel at this stage but I def wouldnt be opposed to starting him next week for seniors.........

• Advertisement

I think people need to get a grip here.
    We lost by a single score to a Wexford team that only hit two wides in over 70 mins of hurling. On that basis Wexford are now world beaters while we’re a shower of bums. Additionally on the back of that result the whole sport of hurling in Kilkenny is in jeopardy. Well all I know is the kids don’t agree. I’m in town every day and after last Sunday I haven’t seen a drop off in the number of lads carrying girls around the town. Lads (and ladies) are still training in record numbers. Amazingly life is still going on.
    Sure Cody made mistakes . They only get amplified when you lose. I don’t know what the story is with Hogan but I do know he has missed a helluva lot more games than played due to injury over the last few years. Cody is stubborn but he’s not stupid. He wouldn’t leave a former hurler of the year on the bench out of spite.
    On last night, it was a nice win but let’s hold off on the hero worship until they’ve actually won something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement