Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Sweeney is s cynical clickbaiter. I wouldn’t wipe my arse with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Sweeney just wants to be 2.0 of his namesake dunphy, wouldn't read a thing his name is attached to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

citykat wrote: »
    Sweeney is s cynical clickbaiter. I wouldn’t wipe my arse with it.
    Well personally I was reading it on my phone so, certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Reading an Eamonn Sweeney article is like drinking a bad pint of Guinness.

The process has killed brain cells, you feel bad and you don't want to go through the experience again for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

I d say John Lennon couldn’t “ imagine” that Laois would win today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

They interviewed John Lennon after the match and he said nobody told me they’d be days like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

As expected cork took care of westmeath today.Amazing to see them score 40 points.Cork will be rightly favourites and im more hopeful than confident we go up an give a good performances.If we let them hurl they will destroy us so we will have to front up to things.Cork will play 15 on 15 but we'll have to be careful to help our defence.
    I wonder how training went this weekend or could we see buckley or delaney or maybe even a long shot like eoin cody?I hope the team we name friday night is the actual team and not the messing that went on the last few weeks.We will no doubt see changes and we have unfortunately not found the right balance especially around midfield but it's now we really need our senior players to stand up.I don't think we're getting enough out of padraig at 6
    Well done to eddie brennan that win is a big feather in his cap.They played a nice brand last weekend and put up a good score again today.They worked like savages and when dublin pegged it back late in the game the got a few crucial scores to stay in front.Dublin it looks like kind of took their eye off the ball and just couldnt change things around but great scenes at the end that can hopefully inspire young lads to put on the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Village87

I cant even try predict the Kilkenny team at this stage. Will they go with the 15 on 15 or will they play similar to the style last few weeks against Wexford, will he start lads like Morrissey, Deegan, Fogarty and Alan Murphy again. Will he be picking a team to suit Cork or performances n training the last few days. Anything is possible. Cork are decent but a soft touch and if Kilkenny can get the right team out they will have a great chance of winning

• Registered Users Posts: 14 takeyourpoint

Well done to Laois yesterday and especially to Eddie Brennan – delighted to see them beating Dublin. Talking to my relations in Laois they are delighted to have Eddie involved up there. They say he selects regardless of what club a lad is from or who he is – if he is good enough he will get a chance. It is a bit unfortunate that they are out again for the third weekend in a row and facing Tipperary but good luck to them anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Next Sunday is potentially Brian Cody’s last game as manager of the Kilkenny Senior Hurling Team. A lot of people will be only too delighted if that comes to pass including many in other counties who will feel a massive sense of relief. No matter what anyone says, his record makes him a legend. He came in by his own admission, a poor club manager. However, he did have pedigree as a player winning everything available on the field, many as captain. So he did have a strong Kilkenny GAA CV. There is not much point in continually saying get rid of him unless there are better alternatives. So what are the options to replace him? Here are some to get the debate rolling.

Henry Shefflin: The bookies favourite would be a popular choice given his legendary status as a player and the Shamrocks club title. However, he was not involved in developing that young Shamrocks team. Is he up to the challenge of developing a team or has Brian Cody developed the current Kilkenny team enough for him? If so, why would we want Brian to go? The work is done, time to reap the rewards… It is one thing managing club players you played with but what about county players from other clubs? Another factor is the lucrative television contracts. He has a young family with lots of combined college years ahead. His career was put on hold while he played. Can he afford to do that any longer? Will he want it?
    DJ Carey: Another popular legend who does have a track record in developing young players and taking on challenges as proven with stints with Carlow IT and Kilkenny Minor Footballers. The Under-20’s when playing well do play a more modern type of game, some would say football style. The thing which may go against him is his fondness for the big ball game and using its strengths because at the moment the clubs and Kilkenny public seem to have even less appetite for things football. He is doing great work underage in Gowran. Will he want it? Does he prefer the development side?
    Eddie Brennan: Going great with Laois Senior hurlers but still remembered for the Under-21 defeat to Westmeath and an Under-21 All-Ireland final defeat that many feel should have been won. Would a second year at the top table show where he really is? Will most likely want it. Is he forgiven though?
    James McGarry/Derek Lyng: Both currently in the senior setup. Derek seems to be more of the hands on with physical side and is the Maor Foirne while James is more in the background and works with the Stats. Neither have standalone management experience. History has shown in sport that where a manager has established a long running legendary status, the best option is to promote from within rather than bring in new.
    Richie Mulrooney/Adrian Finan: Current minor management, both teachers. Career wise will suit, but they have been around a long time at minor and Under-21 level in one form or another and probably haven’t delivered what they should have. This is the age many feel Kilkenny promise flounders on and they have been there for most of it. Considered traditional. Possibly Brian Cody’s without the on field hurling experience/success to back them up.
    Christy Walsh: Kilkenny senior football manager and former successful Bennettsbridge manager bringing them from junior to senior. Former Kerry hurler. Is Kilkenny ready for outside management, especially one with a football connection?
    Former Ballyhale Shamrocks Managers: Many feel the Shamrocks are the blueprint for success. Colm Bonnar (Tipperary) is doing well with Carlow (Was he Eddie Brennan of last year) but not so well in the past with Wexford. Andy Maloney (Waterford). Again the question is whether Kilkenny is ready for outside management? Maurice Aylward, also did a stint with Ballyragget. Not a young man and unlikely to figure. Tommy Shefflin? With Henry? Is Kilkenny ready to be run by siblings?
    Paddy Mullally/Tom Mullally: Talking of siblings. Paddy was with the Kilkenny senior camogie team that won the All-Ireland in 2016 but was credited with the defensive approach that saw them fail to deliver two more. Tom (former Wexford u21 manager) and Mount Leinster Rangers. Good at winning Leinster, but yet to get over the All-Ireland line.
    Other senior club winning managers: Mick Purcell (Clara), Offaly man, Aidan Fogarty (O’Loughlin Gaels) now with Under-16 development squads, Mark Dowling (Dicksboro)
    Pat O’Grady: Former successful Kilkenny Intermediate manager. Short reign at Minor. Young family and businessman. Not a good combination to make the role convenient
    David Herity: Former Dublin Camogie Manager and now with Kildare hurlers. No success on the managerial front yet.
    Richie O’Neill: Goalkeeper Coach with successful Shamrocks and Graigue Ballycallan teams and well thought of in that role. No standalone managerial experience.

Plenty of options there to mull over and I’m sure others will be added when the debate gets going. I’m really looking forward to the nominations from all those who openly are campaigning for Cody to go and to hear their nomination justification. It’s the debate everyone wanted to have but was afraid to start. Why wait until next week? It will be interesting to see what the opinion is after the debate on the alternatives. I for one, think it is all a red herring in helping Kilkenny get back to being the standard bearers but it appears to be the debate people want. Keep it, clean, fair, objective and honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭therealdonster

brookville wrote: »
    Topcat32 wrote: »
    mullinr2 wrote: »
    The lack of scores from play is a major concern. That's two games - Dublin and Galway, where we have been really poor. Are our forwards really that bad that they cannot move into some space and create scoring opportunities.? What are they working on in training.
    There is little to no movement from the kk forwards

Inexperienced more than bad I think.

I mean imagine if the Kilkenny team of even 2011 to 2012 came up against a forward line with two forwards who have 2 years left at under 21 and two 22 year olds, you would sort of expect them to clear that forward line out regardless of how promising those players were.
    I agree the easy thing yesterday to do was start colin and hogan but the only way donnelly and mossy will improve is getting game time.ive no doubt donnelly and these lads will be very good hurlers in a few years yesterday was always going to be a huge ask but there seems to be a hangover since the league final.
    We're unlucky to be down hogan,kelly and alyward at the moment but the week off should help us and we should be fresher and playing at home will help.
    Youd expect a few changes the next day leahy and colin will probably start in attack instead of mossy and donnelly and hopefully aylward back on the bench and hogan to make an appearance.Kevin kelly is making his way back and hopefully cleere can make the match day panel
    Just wondering was morrissey deserve to be substituted yesterday?joey done well when he came on it must be said.
    Hopefully we'll learn more from defeat yesterday but the last few matches our fowards are struggling we'll need a big improvement for the wexford match.

Didn't McGarry manage Ballyhale to a county & All Ireland double?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭therealdonster

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Next Sunday is potentially Brian Cody’s last game as manager of the Kilkenny Senior Hurling Team. A lot of people will be only too delighted if that comes to pass including many in other counties who will feel a massive sense of relief. No matter what anyone says, his record makes him a legend. He came in by his own admission, a poor club manager. However, he did have pedigree as a player winning everything available on the field, many as captain. So he did have a strong Kilkenny GAA CV. There is not much point in continually saying get rid of him unless there are better alternatives. So what are the options to replace him? Here are some to get the debate rolling.

Henry Shefflin: The bookies favourite would be a popular choice given his legendary status as a player and the Shamrocks club title. However, he was not involved in developing that young Shamrocks team. Is he up to the challenge of developing a team or has Brian Cody developed the current Kilkenny team enough for him? If so, why would we want Brian to go? The work is done, time to reap the rewards… It is one thing managing club players you played with but what about county players from other clubs? Another factor is the lucrative television contracts. He has a young family with lots of combined college years ahead. His career was put on hold while he played. Can he afford to do that any longer? Will he want it?
    DJ Carey: Another popular legend who does have a track record in developing young players and taking on challenges as proven with stints with Carlow IT and Kilkenny Minor Footballers. The Under-20’s when playing well do play a more modern type of game, some would say football style. The thing which may go against him is his fondness for the big ball game and using its strengths because at the moment the clubs and Kilkenny public seem to have even less appetite for things football. He is doing great work underage in Gowran. Will he want it? Does he prefer the development side?
    Eddie Brennan: Going great with Laois Senior hurlers but still remembered for the Under-21 defeat to Westmeath and an Under-21 All-Ireland final defeat that many feel should have been won. Would a second year at the top table show where he really is? Will most likely want it. Is he forgiven though?
    James McGarry/Derek Lyng: Both currently in the senior setup. Derek seems to be more of the hands on with physical side and is the Maor Foirne while James is more in the background and works with the Stats. Neither have standalone management experience. History has shown in sport that where a manager has established a long running legendary status, the best option is to promote from within rather than bring in new.
    Richie Mulrooney/Adrian Finan: Current minor management, both teachers. Career wise will suit, but they have been around a long time at minor and Under-21 level in one form or another and probably haven’t delivered what they should have. This is the age many feel Kilkenny promise flounders on and they have been there for most of it. Considered traditional. Possibly Brian Cody’s without the on field hurling experience/success to back them up.
    Christy Walsh: Kilkenny senior football manager and former successful Bennettsbridge manager bringing them from junior to senior. Former Kerry hurler. Is Kilkenny ready for outside management, especially one with a football connection?
    Former Ballyhale Shamrocks Managers: Many feel the Shamrocks are the blueprint for success. Colm Bonnar (Tipperary) is doing well with Carlow (Was he Eddie Brennan of last year) but not so well in the past with Wexford. Andy Maloney (Waterford). Again the question is whether Kilkenny is ready for outside management? Maurice Aylward, also did a stint with Ballyragget. Not a young man and unlikely to figure. Tommy Shefflin? With Henry? Is Kilkenny ready to be run by siblings?
    Paddy Mullally/Tom Mullally: Talking of siblings. Paddy was with the Kilkenny senior camogie team that won the All-Ireland in 2016 but was credited with the defensive approach that saw them fail to deliver two more. Tom (former Wexford u21 manager) and Mount Leinster Rangers. Good at winning Leinster, but yet to get over the All-Ireland line.
    Other senior club winning managers: Mick Purcell (Clara), Offaly man, Aidan Fogarty (O’Loughlin Gaels) now with Under-16 development squads, Mark Dowling (Dicksboro)
    Pat O’Grady: Former successful Kilkenny Intermediate manager. Short reign at Minor. Young family and businessman. Not a good combination to make the role convenient
    David Herity: Former Dublin Camogie Manager and now with Kildare hurlers. No success on the managerial front yet.
    Richie O’Neill: Goalkeeper Coach with successful Shamrocks and Graigue Ballycallan teams and well thought of in that role. No standalone managerial experience.

Plenty of options there to mull over and I’m sure others will be added when the debate gets going. I’m really looking forward to the nominations from all those who openly are campaigning for Cody to go and to hear their nomination justification. It’s the debate everyone wanted to have but was afraid to start. Why wait until next week? It will be interesting to see what the opinion is after the debate on the alternatives. I for one, think it is all a red herring in helping Kilkenny get back to being the standard bearers but it appears to be the debate people want. Keep it, clean, fair, objective and honest.

Didn't McGarry manage Ballyhale to a county & All Ireland double?

What will you do if we beat Cork on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I am not in the Cody out camp no matter the result on Sunday. Managing an inter county team is a full time job and not many people can commit to it. The service and silverware Cody has given earns him the respect and he should not be hounded out by anyone. This team is still being built but what i would like to see.

Play the team that is named.

Keep faith with the younger players like Tommy Walsh.

Better in game management. Wrong/slow calls being made to often.

I am for changing up or adding to the backroom team. Maybe Cody has tried to do that but has not had any takers. Its also a big commitment for people to do and some people may not want to work with/under Cody. He is not everyone's cup of tea by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Hawkeye6, maybe wait until kilkenny have either been eliminated or have won the All Ireland before you start that debate. I'm in the Cody out camp but it's not the time. Let's get behind the team and you can talk ****e as much as you want when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Hawkeye6, maybe wait until kilkenny have either been eliminated or have won the All Ireland before you start that debate. I'm in the Cody out camp but it's not the time. Let's get behind the team and you can talk ****e as much as you want when the time comes.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

Are you off your meds? The most important game of the year is on Sunday and you post this ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

Poor Hawkeye won't be able cope if Kilkenny do the improbable and win the AI

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Will Croke Park open the top tier for Sunday?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Will Croke Park open the top tier for Sunday?

I think they will have to, I'd expect a fine crowd.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I think they will have to, I'd expect a fine crowd.

Ok. Was checking for tickets there but only a few left - at the corner plus single seats etc.

• Advertisement

Think the u17s playing galway before our senior match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Brian Cody won't be bullied into resigning. Nor will he be bothered by posters here. If he feels he has more to offer he'll remain. If he feels its time to go, he'll go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

He certainly wont be bullied a week before an all Ireland quarter final is not the time to bring this up, we were all very disappointed after the leinster final that game was not closed out its up to management and the players to knuckle down to the task in hand. The best of luck with all involved this weekend.

James Owen's of wexford reffing our match.I thought he was generous the other night with our u20s i doubt he'll be as generous with the seniors although he is a good ref.

brookville wrote: »
    James Owen's of wexford reffing our match.I thought he was generous the other night with our u20s i doubt he'll be as generous with the seniors although he is a good ref.

I couldn't agree about him been generous. Hopefully he's saved his generosity for Sunday next!

Grats wrote: »
    I couldn't agree about him been generous. Hopefully he's saved his generosity for Sunday next!

Let's not give the referee a chance to shine - we need to take our chances when in on goal and need to be sensible but accurate in our shooting.

Need to cut down on silly frees as Horgan will be lethal on 100+ yards frees - he mustn't get the chance through silly silly frees.

A lot of teams are guilty of continuous fouling. It's a gamble they're willing to take in particular to cut out goal chances. And refs will only blow a certain amount. Points scored as a result of silly fouling is a different matter but when there's a goal at stake we need to do what any/every other team does. Had we done it against Wexford we wouldn't be involved on Sunday. And of course, had been more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree 100% not the time to be discussing brian.lets get behind the team and drive on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jack Barlowe

Long time KK match attendee. thought i'd row in with a few observations..

I dont think things are quite as bad as that E. Sweeney article on Sunday suggests. I go as far as to say B Cody is maybe a season away from building a 4th team capable of challenging for AI's. They were close against Limerick last yr and fell at the 4th game in 4 weeks after a dubious call which led to a Limerick point. KK were unlucky with a few decisions v. Galway and were looking capable of victory v. Wexford until the Penalty. however the newer forwards need to gel more and play as a unit and with A. Mullan showing early promise , he might be the x factor thats needed. Cant have TJ doing it all every game. Colin F , W.Walsh and R. Hogan have several more seasons in them as corner / full fwd options - injury notwithstanding.

On the penalty note, a Goal has become much more 'scorable' since the rule change from 3 to 1 on Goal. I think the extra power advantage incurred where a Goalkeeper can come up to take a penalty with their Goalies Hurl needs to be outlawed. regular hurley only

re. Management , Brian Codys stellar record entitles him to the benefit of the doubt however if I were to pick 2 small issues to look at, they would be...

1. the failure in recent yrs to introduce impact subs in time to make a difference if things are going badly. ie. Richie Hogan getting only 1 Minute to make an impact against Wexford. failure to bring in L Blanchfield to break up the Galway defensive wall in the Nowlan pk. game. etc . 5 mins or less is not enough to make a difference.

2. not instilling in players the advantages of the 2 handed lift - DJ Carey almost ALWAYS got the ball in his hand quickly. I see numerous failed attempts from players of lesser ability to lift the ball using one hand - especially at speed . pushing the ball way out in front of themselves , taking extra seconds to secure the ball in hand or indeed losing possession much of the time.

On the man marking and in your face swarming by opposing teams : the default response lately by the likes of TJ and CF to being man marked seems to be to try muscle through upon gaining possession. difficult one on one almost impossible with 2 or 3 in your way. More diagonal play please . Id consider W. Walsh in full fwd and L Blanchfield in centre fwd to break up defences with TJ , Colin , Mullan and the others operating more freely on the wings and corners. diagonally distributing ball similar to Tipp on their best days. give R Hogan more time this sunday if he is to be an impact sub. He tends to grow in confidence once he gets a score on the board.

Defence looks quite good. H Lawlor a good addition so far. watch the tendency for all 3 to drift into 1/2 back line and get caught for speed.

On being given the run around by Cork - KK have had 4 tough physical games in succession this year with in your face marking. KK might also enjoy an open game for a change

expect a big attendance - could be 70,000+ with the Cork and Laois contigent

• Advertisement

mullinr2 wrote: »
    The problem for the Kilkenny forwards, is the lack of good quality ball going into them. TJ and Adrian Mullen are good in the air. Wally for a big man doesn't win enough high ball which is strange. Another problem is that Paul Murphy gets on the ball a lot. He is a dreadful distributor of the ball. Ditto Forgarty

We talked about this 'distribution' last year and early on in league.

Surely, at training, some of the senior forwards would say, give us in low ball, ball bouncing in front of us to run on to. I can't believed this is not discussed at training.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement