Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I think everyone agrees that our distribution and movement from our forwards needs to be better. This has been blindly obvious for a few years now, yet Cody hasn't done a thing to change it. You don't have to be an All Star forward to move around and create space. It's obviously not been coached and encouraged by the management team.
    The way Ballyhale played the All Ireland club final, should be the blueprint for Kilkenny hurling.

Even a simole plan would be to rotate each forward after a KK score e.g. after first score, no. 11 moves to 12 (lhf) while no. 12 moves to no 15 (lcf) etc. Just move around 1 place and keep the defenders guessing etc.

Simple but effective.

Here's hoping we get enough scores...lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Long time KK match attendee. thought i'd row in with a few observations..

I dont think things are quite as bad as that E. Sweeney article on Sunday suggests. I go as far as to say B Cody is maybe a season away from building a 4th team capable of challenging for AI's. They were close against Limerick last yr and fell at the 4th game in 4 weeks after a dubious call which led to a Limerick point. KK were unlucky with a few decisions v. Galway and were looking capable of victory v. Wexford until the Penalty. however the newer forwards need to gel more and play as a unit and with A. Mullan showing early promise , he might be the x factor thats needed. Cant have TJ doing it all every game. Colin F , W.Walsh and R. Hogan have several more seasons in them as corner / full fwd options - injury notwithstanding.

On the penalty note, a Goal has become much more 'scorable' since the rule change from 3 to 1 on Goal. I think the extra power advantage incurred where a Goalkeeper can come up to take a penalty with their Goalies Hurl needs to be outlawed. regular hurley only

re. Management , Brian Codys stellar record entitles him to the benefit of the doubt however if I were to pick 2 small issues to look at, they would be...

1. the failure in recent yrs to introduce impact subs in time to make a difference if things are going badly. ie. Richie Hogan getting only 1 Minute to make an impact against Wexford. failure to bring in L Blanchfield to break up the Galway defensive wall in the Nowlan pk. game. etc . 5 mins or less is not enough to make a difference.

2. not instilling in players the advantages of the 2 handed lift - DJ Carey almost ALWAYS got the ball in his hand quickly. I see numerous failed attempts from players of lesser ability to lift the ball using one hand - especially at speed . pushing the ball way out in front of themselves , taking extra seconds to secure the ball in hand or indeed losing possession much of the time.

On the man marking and in your face swarming by opposing teams : the default response lately by the likes of TJ and CF to being man marked seems to be to try muscle through upon gaining possession. difficult one on one almost impossible with 2 or 3 in your way. More diagonal play please . Id consider W. Walsh in full fwd and L Blanchfield in centre fwd to break up defences with TJ , Colin , Mullan and the others operating more freely on the wings and corners. diagonally distributing ball similar to Tipp on their best days. give R Hogan more time this sunday if he is to be an impact sub. He tends to grow in confidence once he gets a score on the board.

Defence looks quite good. H Lawlor a good addition so far. watch the tendency for all 3 to drift into 1/2 back line and get caught for speed.

On being given the run around by Cork - KK have had 4 tough physical games in succession this year with in your face marking. KK might also enjoy an open game for a change

expect a big attendance - could be 70,000+ with the Cork and Laois contigent

Laois seemed to have a bigger crowd than ourselves at the Leinster final/ Joe McDonagh final.

Seemed to be a sea of blue and white all around the place.

They obviously love their hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 12 revanaghkk

citykat wrote: »
    Are you off your meds? The most important game of the year is on Sunday and you post this ****e.
    Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Next Sunday is potentially Brian Cody’s last game as manager of the Kilkenny Senior Hurling Team. A lot of people will be only too delighted if that comes to pass including many in other counties who will feel a massive sense of relief. No matter what anyone says, his record makes him a legend. He came in by his own admission, a poor club manager. However, he did have pedigree as a player winning everything available on the field, many as captain. So he did have a strong Kilkenny GAA CV. There is not much point in continually saying get rid of him unless there are better alternatives. So what are the options to replace him? Here are some to get the debate rolling.

Henry Shefflin: The bookies favourite would be a popular choice given his legendary status as a player and the Shamrocks club title. However, he was not involved in developing that young Shamrocks team. Is he up to the challenge of developing a team or has Brian Cody developed the current Kilkenny team enough for him? If so, why would we want Brian to go? The work is done, time to reap the rewards… It is one thing managing club players you played with but what about county players from other clubs? Another factor is the lucrative television contracts. He has a young family with lots of combined college years ahead. His career was put on hold while he played. Can he afford to do that any longer? Will he want it?
    DJ Carey: Another popular legend who does have a track record in developing young players and taking on challenges as proven with stints with Carlow IT and Kilkenny Minor Footballers. The Under-20’s when playing well do play a more modern type of game, some would say football style. The thing which may go against him is his fondness for the big ball game and using its strengths because at the moment the clubs and Kilkenny public seem to have even less appetite for things football. He is doing great work underage in Gowran. Will he want it? Does he prefer the development side?
    Eddie Brennan: Going great with Laois Senior hurlers but still remembered for the Under-21 defeat to Westmeath and an Under-21 All-Ireland final defeat that many feel should have been won. Would a second year at the top table show where he really is? Will most likely want it. Is he forgiven though?
    James McGarry/Derek Lyng: Both currently in the senior setup. Derek seems to be more of the hands on with physical side and is the Maor Foirne while James is more in the background and works with the Stats. Neither have standalone management experience. History has shown in sport that where a manager has established a long running legendary status, the best option is to promote from within rather than bring in new.
    Richie Mulrooney/Adrian Finan: Current minor management, both teachers. Career wise will suit, but they have been around a long time at minor and Under-21 level in one form or another and probably haven’t delivered what they should have. This is the age many feel Kilkenny promise flounders on and they have been there for most of it. Considered traditional. Possibly Brian Cody’s without the on field hurling experience/success to back them up.
    Christy Walsh: Kilkenny senior football manager and former successful Bennettsbridge manager bringing them from junior to senior. Former Kerry hurler. Is Kilkenny ready for outside management, especially one with a football connection?
    Former Ballyhale Shamrocks Managers: Many feel the Shamrocks are the blueprint for success. Colm Bonnar (Tipperary) is doing well with Carlow (Was he Eddie Brennan of last year) but not so well in the past with Wexford. Andy Maloney (Waterford). Again the question is whether Kilkenny is ready for outside management? Maurice Aylward, also did a stint with Ballyragget. Not a young man and unlikely to figure. Tommy Shefflin? With Henry? Is Kilkenny ready to be run by siblings?
    Paddy Mullally/Tom Mullally: Talking of siblings. Paddy was with the Kilkenny senior camogie team that won the All-Ireland in 2016 but was credited with the defensive approach that saw them fail to deliver two more. Tom (former Wexford u21 manager) and Mount Leinster Rangers. Good at winning Leinster, but yet to get over the All-Ireland line.
    Other senior club winning managers: Mick Purcell (Clara), Offaly man, Aidan Fogarty (O’Loughlin Gaels) now with Under-16 development squads, Mark Dowling (Dicksboro)
    Pat O’Grady: Former successful Kilkenny Intermediate manager. Short reign at Minor. Young family and businessman. Not a good combination to make the role convenient
    David Herity: Former Dublin Camogie Manager and now with Kildare hurlers. No success on the managerial front yet.
    Richie O’Neill: Goalkeeper Coach with successful Shamrocks and Graigue Ballycallan teams and well thought of in that role. No standalone managerial experience.

Plenty of options there to mull over and I’m sure others will be added when the debate gets going. I’m really looking forward to the nominations from all those who openly are campaigning for Cody to go and to hear their nomination justification. It’s the debate everyone wanted to have but was afraid to start. Why wait until next week? It will be interesting to see what the opinion is after the debate on the alternatives. I for one, think it is all a red herring in helping Kilkenny get back to being the standard bearers but it appears to be the debate people want. Keep it, clean, fair, objective and honest.
    If you want it clean, fair, objective and honest you should delete the post as it’s completely unfair to Brian Cody in the week of the match and not truthful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Just a wee observation...

Are all these new posters "re regs"/ 2nd Account people?

Or are people signing up to Boards, and their first post in about KK ?
    If it is the latter , welcome.....

Kilkenny by 2 on Sunday … :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BlachAmber

Best of luck to the seniors on Sunday, It'll be tough. I'd like to see Blanchfield start in a shake up to the forwards, maybe Donnelly too.

We're not that far off but the decision making at the end against Wexford was worrying, poor stuff. We seem to have reverted to route one hurling. Last season saw some efforts at keeping the ball and moving it up the field, that seems to have gone by the wayside.

Best of luck to fast Eddie too - three weeks on the go only to face Tipp is tough going but he's shoved enough of it in their faces down the years to relish the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Anyone know anything about the season tickets, the "bring a friend option" is saying no tickets available , will there be more later on in the week ? Or get them elsewhere ,

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Lads does anyone know how they decide which two teams qualify from the minor round robin? If we lose to Galway and Clare then beat Galway three teams will have a win each. Which two teams go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Score Difference I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

This offer is open until midnight on Tuesday July 9th or until stocks last.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

castlecat wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the season tickets, the "bring a friend option" is saying no tickets available , will there be more later on in the week ? Or get them elsewhere ,

This offer is open until midnight on Tuesday July 9th or until stocks last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 F10

Does anyone know if tickets will be released for the upper tiers of Cusak or Hogan for Sunday later in the week? Only tickets left on Tickets.ie/or GAA/tickets are not the best.

Cheers in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think the front six of Kilkenny are and have been a problem all campionship. In light of this I have been thinking of a possible start as follows;

C. Fennelly TJ Reid A Mullen
    G. Alwyard W. Walsh B. Ryan

Colin Fennelly had plenty of chances to shine at full forward and it just has not happened for him. He is a big guy and we need big fellas on that half forward line and he is a great tackler which is going to be very important against Cork.

Walter has not shone in the half forward line and his height and strength near to goal might be more advantageous.

We could certainly do with a change in the front six and it might be no harm to mix it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Lads does anyone know how they decide which two teams qualify from the minor round robin? If we lose to Galway and Clare then beat Galway three teams will have a win each. Which two teams go through?

Scoring difference. I would expect ourselves and Galway to go through. In which case the semi final line up will be:

Limerick v Kilkenny

Wexford v Galway

You could argue a strong case that the two best teams would be meeting in the semis, Wexford and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Scoring difference. I would expect ourselves and Galway to go through. In which case the semi final line up will be:

Limerick v Kilkenny

Wexford v Galway

You could argue a strong case that the two best teams would be meeting in the semis, Wexford and Galway.

Have Galway played a match yet? Why do you think they are one of the best two teams? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Have Galway played a match yet? Why do you think they are one of the best two teams? :confused:

Nope, haven't played a match yet. But they have a number of last year's team still underage, they did well on the challenge match circuit and i saw one of their Celtic Challenge teams play and they were very impressive. They will probably make a fool out of me now but i would confidently expect them to come out of the group with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Team I'd like to see on Sunday, if everyone is fit.

Eoin Murphy

Conor Delaney
    Huw Lawlor
    Darren Mullen

Padraig Walsh
    Jason Cleere
    Cillian Buckley

James Maher
    Walter Walsh

TJ Reid
    Colin Fennelly
    Adrian Mullen

Richie Leahy
    Richie Hogan
    Eoin Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Bit of a random post, but I have 2 tickets to attend a "Throw in live podcast" discussing the All Ireland QF matches with a few special guests... It is on this Thursday evening in Kilkenny hotel... I cant make it, so if anyone here would like them, just PM, and I will forward on the details...Thanks, Liam...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

SteJer wrote: »

Eoin Murphy

Conor Delaney
    Huw Lawlor
    Darren Mullen

Padraig Walsh
    Jason Cleere
    Cillian Buckley

James Maher
    Walter Walsh

TJ Reid
    Colin Fennelly
    Adrian Mullen

Richie Leahy
    Richie Hogan
    Eoin Cody

That's some team but I imagine it will be next year before we see that starting 15. A decent game plan is as important on Sunday and in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Anybody know when more tickets will be released for the game on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Anybody know when more tickets will be released for the game on Sunday?

Public sale tomorrow evening in nowlan park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Village87 wrote: »
    The 2 best players on the field today were Zac Bay Hammond and a Dublin full back called DavId Crowe. Both players really stood out as potential stars of the future. If Hammond keeps improving his hurling at the rate he is going the potential is unlimited.

2 decent teams, Killenny half back line and midfield dominated the 2nd half. Was really the winning of the match

Many people gave Zack Bay Hammond man of the match status after this game. Just wondering why he has been a sub since then

Many people gave Zack Bay Hammond man of the match status after this game. Just wondering why he has been a sub since then

Nursing an injury I believe.

Eoin Murphy

Conor Delaney
    Huw Lawlor
    Darren Mullen

Padraig Walsh
    Jason Cleere
    Cillian Buckley

James Maher
    Walter Walsh

TJ Reid
    Colin Fennelly
    Adrian Mullen

Richie Leahy
    Richie Hogan
    Eoin Cody

It would take a genius at this stage to pick the team sunday.We have no idea what way training has went or have the lads with injuries recovered fully but one thing we do know is there'll be changes like most matches this year.
    We have yet to get the balance right but we will have to pick lads on form and who are fully fit.I doubt we'll see eoin cody start against cork it probably wouldn't be fair on the chap if we had won last weekend he might of got a few weeks before a semi final but at this stage its unlikely.
    The idea of wally out midfield was touted before the dublin match after he done well in the challenge against cork and we will need someone to combat bill coppers physicality.
    If we had everyone fit and ready my team would be something along the lines of
    Murphy
    Joey,lawlor,deegan
    Padraig,buckley,delaney
    Fogarty;maher
    Wally,hogan,tj
    Mullen,colin,blanchfield.

One would assume players who are not 100% fit would not be on a match day panel. By that logic both Hogan and Buckley are ready to go but center forward for Ritchie at this stage, I do not believe would work, maybe corner or full would be more to his liking.
    If Buckley is fit he has to go wing back and let, as another poster said Jason Cleere take the center with Padraigh on his left.
    Conor Fogarty is going to be midfield along with James Maher. Fogarty along with Deegan are Cody's go to men.

Walter has been very poor lately as has Paul Murphy, Ryan, Morrissey and Alan Murphy.Unless they have turned it around in training all Five should be benched.

I don't know if Eoin Cody was ever on the senior panel but if he was he should be given a chance and maybe should be thrown in even if he has never been on the senior panel.

Unless Delaney is flying in training we wont see him and I suspect he is still struggling to some extent,. So I would go with

Murphy
    Mullen
    Lawlor
    Deegan
    Walsh
    Cleere
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    Maher
    Reid
    Fennelly
    Leahy
    Mullen
    Hogan
    Blanchfield

Eoin Cody should be brought onto the match day panel at the very least and be first sub on if the full forward line does not function. It would do Walter no harm to warm the bench for a while.,

I take your point about hogan not being able for a full match out at 11 but positions in the modern game dont mean a whole lot.I would even give him a free role out the field like the way he finished up against galway this year he sat in front of cleere and after the few rash shots i thought he got more into the game.A lad like him needs time to grow into the match and if he was any way right we have to find room for him somewhere.He has great vision and will still take watching.I do agree with maybe switching fennelly at bit and a spell out in the half foward line might be no harm.We also need more movement and interchanging with our fowards that has being well spoken about here.
    Eoin cody definitely wasn't on the senior panel unless he was brought in the last week or two.He only done his leaving this year and hurled up to paddys day wih his club.A great prospect no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

My team.
    Eoin
    Paul
    Huw
    Paddy
    Padraighason
    Cillian
    Richie leahy
    James
    Tj
    Wally
    Adrian
    Richie
    Colin
    Bill sheehan

Got to play richie hogan and find out whether he still has it and if he is fit enough

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

This is funny
    Big launch in limerick of the all ireland series
    Call to Kilkenny looking for Brian and player down.over night in adare manor.nice
    Tell them I'm busy.
    But Brian you have to go .no I don't
    2nd shot from Leinster via county chairman
    Hello Brian thing on in adare will you go down
    Launch bring one of the boys few photos be handy.
    No to busy match Sunday.
    3rd go director of gaa.given Codys number and told to ring himself. For fear
    Hello Brian will you go down to the thing in limerick it's the launch sponsor's are looking for you.
    Do ye lads not talk to each other .im busy i have a match sunday.

Our man never change

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

brookville wrote: »
    It would take a genius at this stage to pick the team sunday.We have no idea what way training has went or have the lads with injuries recovered fully but one thing we do know is there'll be changes like most matches this year.
    We have yet to get the balance right but we will have to pick lads on form and who are fully fit.I doubt we'll see eoin cody start against cork it probably wouldn't be fair on the chap if we had won last weekend he might of got a few weeks before a semi final but at this stage its unlikely.
    The idea of wally out midfield was touted before the dublin match after he done well in the challenge against cork and we will need someone to combat bill coppers physicality.
    If we had everyone fit and ready my team would be something along the lines of
    Murphy
    Joey,lawlor,deegan
    Padraig,buckley,delaney
    Fogarty;maher
    Wally,hogan,tj
    Mullen,colin,blanchfield.

We'll win nothing with Joey Holden & Paddy Deegan on the full back line.

If Buckley is fit the only position for him is at 7. He is completely wasted at 6 and doesn't dominate a game like he does at 7.

Conor Fogarty is not hurling well enough to keep his place.

I don't think this is the right game for Blanchfield. A big full forward line is what the Cork full back line would like to see. I think we need to go small & fast there and send in low balls.

Eoin Murphy

Conor Delaney
    Huw Lawlor
    Darren Mullen

Padraig Walsh
    Jason Cleere
    Cillian Buckley

James Maher
    Walter Walsh

TJ Reid
    Colin Fennelly
    Adrian Mullen

Richie Leahy
    Richie Hogan
    Eoin Cody

The more one looks at this selection the more appealing it becomes

• Advertisement

The more one looks at this selection the more appealing it becomes

As I said in a previous post I like the look of that team too but it's too late for this year. Some team for next year.

SteJer further posted his reason for dropping Fogarty and Deegan, I agree. Both are starters for now in the absence of Buckley and Delaney. I wouldn't rule out Tommy Walsh. With regards Eoin Cody, leaving cert or not, if you're good enough age doesn't matter.

Perhaps a bold selection is just what's required at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement