Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

Mullen trained last night with the seniors. Participated in training game. Miraculous recovery! Obviously Cody didn’t want to risk him against Wexford considering we were through to semi final either way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He was dead right in fairness. Mullen has a huge amount of hurling under his belt the last year or so, you need to be able to recover from games as well. I'd rather he was fit and raring to go next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Cody was correct. The U20's had a get out of jail card while its knockout Saturday week. Really looking forward to the Limerick game. Limerick are an excellent team and will take some beating. I am hopeful for us. The win over Cork will give the whole set up a massive confidence boost. That performance had been coming and most posters here could see it but couldn't predict when it would happen. I would think training will be more intense than ever over the next week as there are places still up for grabs in the starting 15. Need to get everything spot on the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Bear in mind Cody would have done the same if it was a knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

citykat wrote: »
    Bear in mind Cody would have done the same if it was a knockout.

I know cody calls alot of the shots but it's fair to say most county managers do.Cody was the only one i know to play a few league matches mid summer.Adrian mullen needs to be minded aswell he played against laois in a match we were always likely to win.Dont get me wrong I think it's unfair the chap misses out on a leinster medal but he has a huge amount done recently and with the cushion of no knock out and whats coming down the tracks in hindsight maybe it was the right decision and it will do the u20s no harm to dig out that result without him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

I would not put too much into the league result.
    Kilkenny V Limerick
    Eoin Murphy
    Tommy Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Enda Morrissey
    Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Paul Murphy
    Conor Fogarty
    Martin Keoghan
    Richie Leahy
    Walter Walsh
    James Maher
    Billy Ryan
    Kevin Kelly
    John Donnelly

No Cillian Buckley, Hue lawlor, TJ Reid, Colin Fennelly, Darren Mullen, Joey holden, Billy Sheehan

You forgot Richie Hogan!

And Ger Aylward!

Liam Blanchfield & Jason Cleere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

brookville wrote: »
    I know cody calls alot of the shots but it's fair to say most county managers do.Cody was the only one i know to play a few league matches mid summer.Adrian mullen needs to be minded aswell he played against laois in a match we were always likely to win.Dont get me wrong I think it's unfair the chap misses out on a leinster medal but he has a huge amount done recently and with the cushion of no knock out and whats coming down the tracks in hindsight maybe it was the right decision and it will do the u20s no harm to dig out that result without him

I’ve no idea why you’re trying to give answers to questions I never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 blackspot91

You forgot Richie Hogan!

And Ger Aylward!

Liam Blanchfield & Jason Cleere.

Limerick team that day..

Nickie Quaid (Effin)

2. Tom Condon
    3. Sean Finn
    4. Richie English

5. Diarmaid Byrnes
    7. Dan Morrissey
    7. Paddy O’Loughlin

8. Cian Lynch
    9. Darragh O’Donovan

10. Kyle Hayes
    11. Shane Dowling
    12. Conor Boylan

13. Aaron Gillane
    14. Graeme Mulcahy
    15. Barry Murphy

No Mike Casey, Hannon, O Donoghue, Tom Morrisey, Hegarty or Peter Casey from Munster final team.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Limerick team that day..

Nickie Quaid (Effin)

2. Tom Condon
    3. Sean Finn
    4. Richie English

5. Diarmaid Byrnes
    7. Dan Morrissey
    7. Paddy O’Loughlin

8. Cian Lynch
    9. Darragh O’Donovan

10. Kyle Hayes
    11. Shane Dowling
    12. Conor Boylan

13. Aaron Gillane
    14. Graeme Mulcahy
    15. Barry Murphy

No Mike Casey, Hannon, O Donoghue, Tom Morrisey, Hegarty or Peter Casey from Munster final team.

I was just about to look up the limerick team that played ye in league relieved to see we were missing a few ourselves. Look lads from a Limerick perspective this is a 50 50 match thats the way we are looking at it anyway, I genuinely think kk have moved on to another level from where ye were earlier in the yr with that will to win I'd be nervous but what we're hoping for in Limerick is our own will to win,workrate and power might get us over the line.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I genuinely think if Limerick play to their potential and don't look past this game they should be a bit too strong. I'm hopeful of a good performance and to really put it up to them, but realistically if we are to win Limerick will need to have a bit of an off day, it could happen but we need to be at our best and Limerick need to be a bit below par.

That's not to say it won't happen but Limerick are 2 point favourites for this so I'm expecting a close game but Limerick to win by a few points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I think limerick will have to be at their absolute best to put us away
    Galway never hurled in the first half of the final last year.
    And probably should have salvaged a draw.cork made them look fairly ordinary and I am starting to think the Munster final might not be the test we thought it was.laois asked enough questions of tipp and if they didn't lose a man would have been closer..if we can get on top of their halfback line i think we will cause them problems. That line is where they tend to dominate teams.lets get them turned and see how they defend when we have the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭blackcard

adrian522 wrote: »
    I genuinely think if Limerick play to their potential and don't look past this game they should be a bit too strong. I'm hopeful of a good performance and to really put it up to them, but realistically if we are to win Limerick will need to have a bit of an off day, it could happen but we need to be at our best and Limerick need to be a bit below par.

That's not to say it won't happen but Limerick are 2 point favourites for this so I'm expecting a close game but Limerick to win by a few points.
    Amazed that Limerick are only 2 point favourites, I would have put them as 6-7 point favourites, agree that everything would have to go right for us wrong for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭kk.man

blackcard wrote: »
    Amazed that Limerick are only 2 point favourites, I would have put them as 6-7 point favourites, agree that everything would have to go right for us wrong for them

Did limerick beat us in 1973 and we came back in 74 to give them a good hidding?

kk.man wrote: »

Did limerick beat us in 1973 and we came back in 74 to give them a good hidding?
    Is Eddie Keher ok to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I think limerick will have to be at their absolute best to put us away
    Galway never hurled in the first half of the final last year.
    And probably should have salvaged a draw.cork made them look fairly ordinary and I am starting to think the Munster final might not be the test we thought it was.laois asked enough questions of tipp and if they didn't lose a man would have been closer..if we can get on top of their halfback line i think we will cause them problems. That line is where they tend to dominate teams.lets get them turned and see how they defend when we have the ball

I take your point. Galway didn't bring their best performance in last years final but then who does when they lose. Yeah if Kilkenny can get ontop of Limericks half backs then Limerick will be in trouble. Of course Kilkennys half back line will be marking 3 of the strongest half forwards they will have faced. (Of course TJ and Walter will have marked them in training). I think Kilkenny will go at Hannon and see if they can take him out of the game to stop him delivering those passes. Isnt it odd that the last time Hannon played Kilkenny he scored 4 points at wing forward.
    ..so all in all Kilkenny have a great chance. Will they win? I seriously doubt it. Weve seen your hand against Cork to a certain extent and I dont see the Kilkenny full forward line getting much change out of the Limerick fullback line. TJs scoring from play has dried up as it tends to do when coming to the latter stages of the Championship. Walter can be bang average at times and Richie Hogan can only run in 'flits and starts'.I rate Huw Lawlor very highly but again he ll have his hands full and your midfield is workmanlike and not anything else.
    It will take a bug effort from Limerick but I do think theres a big effort coming and I can see Kiely having a plan of his own to counteract Cody's.
    In the other semi..Tipperary will win because if you dont have a cut off Tipperary you'll lose. It's no good playing a containment game against them. They like being asked to pick locks. Wexford will be sticky but they ll fall behind and wont be able to come back.

It's Richie Hogan Colin fennelly and wally on the full line where I think the joy will come from.3 multiple allstars will take some holding. A return of 2.6+wouldn't surprise me. that could lay the platform for the shock.

It's Richie Hogan Colin fennelly and wally on the full line where I think the joy will come from.3 multiple allstars will take some holding. A return of 2.6+wouldn't surprise me. that could lay the platform for the shock.
    I don't think Wally or Colin have ever won an all star

I don't think Wally or Colin have ever won an all star

Wally wingforward 2016 allstar
    Colin full forward 2014 allstar
    Richie 11.14 .15.16

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Murphy
    Walsh Delaney Deegan
    Fogarty Lawlor Brown
    Maher Leahy
    Hogan Reid Mullen
    Donnelly Fennelly Walsh

That's some team & if they can play with that same ...whatever you want to call it but it felt like I was back in 2011 or 2012, they'll be able for anyone. Seems harsh on H. Lawlor as he's been hardworking & dependable but strongest setup is what's needed & have no doubt he'll work just as hard no matter where he's playing. Hoping young Mullens legs are as young as him, lotta hurling done this year. Think the club journey has really steeled him for IC hurling sooner than otherwise. Being near the BH boys you'd have to be ??? not to absorb some knowledge. Like the looks of the minor & U20 teams have a nice bunch of players. Feels good to be optimistic again. God we are spoiled! Only 3 years since a final, 4 since back to back AI wins. Man, I've a new respect for fans of long suffering counties. Great to see Laois & Carlow doing well this year. Now to get Offaly, WM, Kerry up. Up the Cat's!

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Last year's meeting between Kilkenny and Limerick may have no real bearing on the upcoming match, nor indeed the league encounter. There's mention of all the saves Eoin Murphy brought off, a goalkeepers role, the foul on Donnelly etc but the one major factor last year was having to play three games in two weeks. Remember we had a very hot humid summer to contend with too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 blackspot91

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I take your point. Galway didn't bring their best performance in last years final but then who does when they lose. Yeah if Kilkenny can get ontop of Limericks half backs then Limerick will be in trouble. Of course Kilkennys half back line will be marking 3 of the strongest half forwards they will have faced. (Of course TJ and Walter will have marked them in training). I think Kilkenny will go at Hannon and see if they can take him out of the game to stop him delivering those passes. Isnt it odd that the last time Hannon played Kilkenny he scored 4 points at wing forward.
    ..so all in all Kilkenny have a great chance. Will they win? I seriously doubt it. Weve seen your hand against Cork to a certain extent and I dont see the Kilkenny full forward line getting much change out of the Limerick fullback line. TJs scoring from play has dried up as it tends to do when coming to the latter stages of the Championship. Walter can be bang average at times and Richie Hogan can only run in 'flits and starts'.I rate Huw Lawlor very highly but again he ll have his hands full and your midfield is workmanlike and not anything else.
    It will take a bug effort from Limerick but I do think theres a big effort coming and I can see Kiely having a plan of his own to counteract Cody's.
    In the other semi..Tipperary will win because if you dont have a cut off Tipperary you'll lose. It's no good playing a containment game against them. They like being asked to pick locks. Wexford will be sticky but they ll fall behind and wont be able to come back.

Actually Hannon scored 5 from play off Hogan at centre forward that day.

Grats wrote: »
    Last year's meeting between Kilkenny and Limerick may have no real bearing on the upcoming match, nor indeed the league encounter. There's mention of all the saves Eoin Murphy brought off, a goalkeepers role, the foul on Donnelly etc but the one major factor last year was having to play three games in two weeks. Remember we had a very hot humid summer to contend with too.

And the amount of wides we hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

And the amount of wides we hit.

All true. The wides were a big factor..and they came at the worst times. Walter on form would have surely held up the ball better aswell. It was coming out if the forwards as fast as it was going in. Richie wasnt in the form he is now and the ref gave Limerick a few soft ones. The high tackle on Donnelly was s blatant foul and he actually had the whistle in his mouth but then inexplicably didn't blow. Colin was held well by Casey and again Colin is in much better form now,plus it was outside of Croker where Limerick had played Tipperary already. Kilkenny are a different beast in Dublin. Those are alot of factors that went against Kilkenny last year...
    Limerick to win by 3 or 4 points.

All true. The wides were a big factor..and they came at the worst times. Walter on form would have surely held up the ball better aswell. It was coming out if the forwards as fast as it was going in. Richie wasnt in the form he is now and the ref gave Limerick a few soft ones. The high tackle on Donnelly was s blatant foul and he actually had the whistle in his mouth but then inexplicably didn't blow. Colin was held well by Casey and again Colin is in much better form now,plus it was outside of Croker where Limerick had played Tipperary already. Kilkenny are a different beast in Dublin. Those are alot of factors that went against Kilkenny last year...

Spot on. Limerick have improved a lot too. The confidence winning gives you cant measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Walter didn't play last year against Limerick . The KK team was :

Eoin Murphy;

Paul Murphy,
    Padraig Walsh,
    Paddy Deegan;

Joey Holden,
    Cillian Buckley (c)
    Robert Lennon;
    Conor Fogarty (0-01),

James Maher (0-03);
    Martin Keoghan,
    Richie Hogan (1-03),

Pat Lyng;
    Billy Ryan,
    Colin Fennelly (0-02),
    TJ Reid (0-07, 0-05f, 0-01’65).

Subs :
    Liam Blanchfield (0-01) for Lyng (35),
    Richie Leahy (0-04) for Keoghan (45),
    John Donnelly (0-01) for Fennelly (62),
    Ger Aylward for Ryan (72).

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

I’ve said it before but think it should be said again as pundits and followers from other counties talk about it abit. TJ can score 0-0 from play and be the best player on the pitch and other days he could be quieter and score 0-4. Seen on Twitter before the cork game he sets up the most scoring chances in the country Weather it’s true or not I don’t know but I’d believe it and he is often fouled for 2 or 3 converted frees per game. He’s a different type of hurler to Horgan etc. heard adrian is ok too.

The_Ghost wrote: »
    I’ve said it before but think it should be said again as pundits and followers from other counties talk about it abit. TJ can score 0-0 from play and be the best player on the pitch and other days he could be quieter and score 0-4. Seen on Twitter before the cork game he sets up the most scoring chances in the country Weather it’s true or not I don’t know but I’d believe it and he is often fouled for 2 or 3 converted frees per game. He’s a different type of hurler to Horgan etc. heard adrian is ok too.

Those things won't be spotted by everyone.you have to know what your looking for.its easy to say he didn't score and he was quite on paper.
    Truth he never stops hunting and he has developed a real taste for goals
    Probably the most complete hurler playing the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

The inter-play between Fennelly and Hogan, Mullen and Fennelly, Ryan and Sheehan was quite an improvement on what we have done all year We have a lot of work to do with the backs, however the overall delivery to the forwards though not perfect was also a big improvement. We still have time to work on things and we have to organize far better defensively. We are well capable of beating Limerick and no one knows that better than Cody but as always being capable and actually doing it are not quite the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Richie hogan gives us something different.his vision cuteness and scoring ability makes our whole frontline more a threat.I hope he has trained ok since the cork game and look forward to next saturday.��������

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭kksaints

Draw in the Kilkenny Senior Football Championship Final. Mullinavat 1-7 Railyard 1-7.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement