Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Kilkenny: Eoin Murphy; Paul Murphy, Huw Lawlor, Joey Holden; Conor Fogarty, Padraig Walsh (0-1), Paddy Deegan; Conor Browne, Richie Leahy; John Donnelly (0-01), TJ Reid (0-08, 1 s-l, 7f), Walter Walsh (0-02); Adrian Mullen (0-04), Colin Fennelly (1-03), Richie Hogan (0-01).

Subs: Cillian Buckley for Leahy (35), Bill Sheehan for Hogan (45), Billy Ryan for Donnelly (52), Liam Blanchfield for Fennelly (64), James Maher (0-01) for Fogarty (67).

John Donnelly probably hit more ball in the first half than any other. His intercepts blocking and marking. Another player who put in a big shift without doing any thing spectacular was Conor Browne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Congrats to kilkenny .They were immense today they were ravenous for the 70 minutes and completely outworked Limerick .Limerick got plenty help from the ref to keep them in it imo.Tj Reid was great as usual but I felt Padraig Walsh was man of match he hurled the world of ball along with Deegan and Lawlor.I dont know how cody does it but he gets the absolute most out of his players,fair dues to him.Kilkenny will be very tough to beat in 3 weeks time.
    Fair play to Kilkenny deserved winners the ref call is a bit bull kilkenny could have easily been down to 14 on another day!
    That being said Limerick were not at the races today as the were completely outworked for the majority of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just back home now from the match. Wow, just wow. I can't believe we won. The players left absolutely everything on the pitch. Amazing. Going to watch the match now :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

That was better than a lot of All Irelands. The buzz at the end. Unreal.

I love this game
    We were spoilt with the number of All Irelands that we won and didn't appreciate say the win in 2015. As you say, the buzz at the end today and also after the Cork win did feel better than some All Irelands. Throughout the league and Leinster Championship, we struggled and could easily have been eliminated. There are far better teams than us but none with greater heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Well done Kilkenny from a Wexford fan. Intensity was unreal and were deserving winners,fair play. Hopefully we get the job done tomorrow,be some build up for the final,unfortunately Tipp won’t hand it to us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    Well done Kilkenny from a Wexford fan. Intensity was unreal and were deserving winners,fair play. Hopefully we get the job done tomorrow,be some build up for the final,unfortunately Tipp won’t hand it to us!

I wasnt too bothered about Tipp Wexford but really now want a Kk Wexford all ireland. The Craic and build up that would be unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭kksaints

Super wins for both our teams in Croker today. For a Minor team that wasn't particularly highly rated that was an excellent performance. Forwards in particular did a great job. With regards to Hammond, he lost a lot of aerial duels but his working back and covering is great. Could be worth a shot in midfield as he wouldn't be under as much pressure aerially as in the half back line.

What can you say about the Seniors. The effort, the work ethic, the tenacity and heart that you expect from a Cody team was there in spades today. The shooting accuracy was none too shabby either. TJ, Fennelly, Deegan, Mullen and the two Walshes were all fantastic but in fairness everyone of those players deserves credit for that performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Fair play to Kilkenny deserved winners the ref call is a bit bull kilkenny could have easily been down to 14 on another day!
    That being said Limerick were not at the races today as the were completely outworked for the majority of the game!

So G Hegartys boxing the head off a kilkenny player on the ground in front of the ref was okay in your eyes, or the pulling off a helmet he decides to throw in the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭raindodger

Joe Daly wrote: »
    So G Hegartys boxing the head off a kilkenny player on the ground in front of the ref was okay in your eyes, or the pulling off a helmet he decides to throw in the ball.

well done best team won
    helmet was not pulled off the face guards just got wrapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Congrats to our lads today they were superb. Hands up I criticised them after leinster final for the poor creation of space and distribution of ball that day deserved or not. They showed unreal will to win and hunger along with some vey intelligent ball play when under real pressure. Donnelly I must say was playing in front of me there for the first half and he just hit anything moving along with picking off scores, they just seemed hungry and craving ball no matter what it took. Hats off to limerick a top class side, like us last year out of the match for large parts of the game but with a little cluck could snatched a draw at the end.
    Side note- very disappointed with the kk supporters today. 55001 at the match and it looked and sound like about 15000 were kk. Not enough support for teams especially atthis stage at minor and senior level.
    Other than that im ecstatic, going to the other semi tomorrow interested to see what tipp and wex bring to the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

blackcard wrote: »
    Kilkenny are a long way from our great 4 in a row team but what we lack in skills, we make up with heart. Every player gave 100% which is all you can ask. TJ scored nothing from play but gave his best ever display imo. In fairness to Limerick they battled to the end. Definite 65 at the end but definite throw ball in the lead up to their second goal.

Possibly redemption for John Donnelly last year in thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

raindodger wrote: »
    well done best team won

Yeah defo didnt pull his helmet, it was a weird one the way it happened. Just frustrating that kilkenny had the ball and ended up as a throw in.

Up to a month ago I'd have laughed at someone that said we'd be in both finals on August 18th.

When do U20s play Cork, will Mullen be pulled again? Form from Galway match we have a chance, form from Leinster final no chance!

Watching in TV didnt look like we were outnumbered any worse than 2 to 1. Remember Limerick have twice our population while Wex are 1.5. Throw in the famine years for these counties it's no surprise we'd always be outnumbered. In fairness to those that can make it they always make themselves heard. Knew ever score today before the umpire raised a flag thanks to the fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

fantastic game today really enjoyed it , but in the era of video analysis ,sweeper systems puck out strategies and short passing games , today's game was won on the same values that kilkenny have been preaching for decades

hard work ,discipline , hooks blocks , pressure and intensity nothing fancy , tj's first half performance was second to none , huw lawlors performance despite a fussy referee and an early yellow was exceptional conor fogarty has developed into a fine hurler also , joey holden is probably the last of the hard nuts in the game , paddy deagan's work rate is top class also . personally i taught padraic walsh was man of the match he covered every angle in defence tonight

well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Speak Now wrote: »
    Watching in TV didnt look like we were outnumbered any worse than 2 to 1. Remember Limerick have twice our population while Wex are 1.5. Throw in the famine years for these counties it's no surprise we'd always be outnumbered. In fairness to those that can make it they always make themselves heard. Knew ever score today before the umpire raised a flag thanks to the fans!
    I was at the match as a neutral and it seemed like at least 3 to 1. Was your travelling support for semi finals ever better then it is now?

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I was at the match as a neutral and it seemed like at least 3 to 1. Was your travelling support for semi finals ever better then it is now?

limerick are probably the best supporters in the country after cork for numbers , in 2013 in the all ireland semi final they brought something in the region of 45000 maybe more , it looked the same today

the norm for a hurling semi final is in the region of 40000 to 50000 for a semi final i reckon 20000 is normal for most counties not just kilkenny

Yeah Limerick bring huge crowds, I think our semis against Waterford in 2015 and 2016 were around the 35k and 40k mark.

Speak Now wrote: »
    When do U20s play Cork, will Mullen be pulled again? Form from Galway match we have a chance, form from Leinster final no chance!

It's on next weekend. I hope Mullen plays. He'll have two weeks to recover.

Both ourselves and Wexford are still in the running to win Senior, U-20 and minor.

The difference between the performance of the team today and earlier in the championship against Galway is absolutely chalk and cheese

The difference between the performance of the team today and earlier in the championship against Galway is absolutely chalk and cheese

to be fair thats what you want , look at limerick today and tipperary against laois its all about now not two months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭tibruit

I was in the lower Cusack today and I`m a bit peeved about all the talk about the the last minute 65 that should have been awarded to Limerick. The final lineball should have been Kilkennys as it went out off the back of a Limerick player. Its not clear on the TV pictures but all happened right in front of where I was sitting. Would have been extreme injustice had Limerick got an equaliser from that. Congrats to both KK teams today. A day of days only matched by the `08,`09 and `11 finals. Feel privileged to have been there to see it.

tibruit wrote: »
    I was in the lower Cusack today and I`m a bit peeved about all the talk about the the last minute 65 that should have been awarded to Limerick. The final lineball should have been Kilkennys as it went out off the back of a Limerick player. Its not clear on the TV pictures but all happened right in front of where I was sitting. Would have been extreme injustice had Limerick got an equaliser from that. Congrats to both KK teams today. A day of days only matched by the `08,`09 and `11 finals. Feel privileged to have been there to see it.

I am also very surprised wht Gillane's holding of Lawlo'rs hurl was not a free out instead of a penalty and no ones seems to mention it.

Nicky Brennan interviewed after the match said "Ritchie Leahy had been injured during training last week and it is the reason he was substituted in the 1st half"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Nicky Brennan interviewed after the match said "Ritchie Leahy had been injured during training last week and it is the reason he was substituted in the 1st half"

That explains it. He clearly was hampered from early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I am also very surprised wht Gillane's holding of Lawlo'rs hurl was not a free out instead of a penalty and no ones seems to mention it.

Well typical Sunday Game. Set the agenda and he with the biggest mouth has to be heard. You're dead right, no consideration given to the original foul by Gillane. Furthermore was he in the square before the ball and, did he step over the 21 before striking the penalty? Sunday Game don't seem capable of analysing incidents properly, when it suits.

And as was posted earlier, the last line ball awarded to Limerick was questionable. Holden was taken out of it just before Murphy won the ball and it appeared to me that the ball went off a Limerick player.

Great match. Limerick did their best to get over the line but met a resilient Kilkenny team who lasted the pace better, just!

Brilliant day for Kilkenny with Minors and Seniors doing the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

raindodger wrote: »
    well done best team won

With the help of a Limerick player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

EPIC

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

2006 levels of work rate v cork. When we took apart the running game
    The way we sett up zonely was beautiful. With our half backs holding their positions . And our halfforwards work was of the scale. The hits and forced turnovers was the key.for a spell Kilkenny dropped their levels in the second half and limerick started to get their game going. Jesus's the wides they drove. we looked spent at that stage .but he freshened things up . And we got over the line.
    Waking up in a hotel getting ready to go again is unreal.
    Hope wexford can get over the line. It would be some build up

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BlachAmber

Brilliant stuff from minors and seniors yesterday. What a day out, thanks to them all.

Padraig Walsh is some yolk, Huw is becoming more confident by the day, Mullen is playing beyond his years, and the work rate from all was a sight to behold.

Brian and his team got everything right yesterday, well done.

C’MON KILKENNY!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Unreal performance especially in the first half. As people say, all about workrate.

Most important thing for me was everytime Limerick got a score or the goal, KK responded by getting a point and killing their momenteum. That's all it took - win ball, work it up and get a scores. Breaks the momenteum. This was key and showed huge character.

The game reminded me of the 2014 semi-final v Limerick, just flat to the mat in a serious downpour. The game took a life of it's own but heart, and no little skill won the day.

I think the Cork game stood well to us. If Tipp win today, I'm sure they're be questions asked about the 'long lay off' of the provincial winners and the extra qualifier game for the losers. We'll see but Cork game, imo, made a huge difference, especially in Croke Park.

I though both teams got decisions at different times re; the referee. It's alright for lads in studio to analyse incidents in a game, after a game, with about 3 different camera angles plus they can slow it down etc. Referee and umpires only have one shot at it and they're only human.

When teams lose by the finest of margins, it's only natural to pick out certain incidents and say 'we should have got a free here or a 65 there. That's human nature!

I though A. Mullan was superb for a young fellow in Croke Pk in an AISF. Unreal ability matched with score taking. They are all heroes in an epic game but I thought he was excellent. He even managed to slow game down in injury time by tieing his lace near sideline on Cusack side, near where I was!!

Have to say that was some goal by Shane Dowling - he batted it from a huge distance out but he arrowed it in the bottom right corner, right into the corner, an unreal finish of power, ability and quick-thinking.

Well done to the minors also with agreat performance. Anytime you win a semi-final, it's day for celebration.

Finally, huge congrats to Brian Cody and management team. To get a performance like that V Cork and Limerick is a testament to his managerial ability. A new batch of players brought through while others have got a new life. Unreal achievement. Changes again, were made at the right time and the bench is getting stronger with the experience of the last two games.

I'm so happy to say I attended and witnessed that game! Honoured to witness an epic.

'We haven't gone away you know'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement