Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I fully admit, I was wrong. I don't how he managed to get us to another final. Pure genius. I hope he has another plan for Tipp.Tipp won't shoot 15 wides.

Fair play, although I think there's very few on here that don't have to hold their hands up over some things they got wrong this year so far. Even among lads backing Cody to the hilt, the words "we're obviously not getting to a final this year" were as common as sh!te in a field on this thread. Let alone people like me who were casting doubt on him especially after the Leinster final.

He has a way of making doubters look a bit foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Fair play, although I think there's very few on here that don't have to hold their hands up over some things they got wrong this year so far. Even among lads backing Cody to the hilt, the words "we're obviously not getting to a final this year" were as common as sh!te in a field on this thread. Let alone people like me who were casting doubt on him especially after the Leinster final.

I certainly didnt see us getting to the All Ireland Final and was one of the people you mention in your first paragraph but this is one occasion where its feels brilliant to be completely wrong.

I know this is easy to say now but the team that started against Cork was the first team since 2016 that looked a really strong team at least on paper, with all players selected either proven top inter county players in the past or genuinely talented younger lads who seem ready to start consistently.

Added to that, for the last few games there seems to have been a genuine plan for how our bench is used rather than simply being used to put out fires when things went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

citykat wrote: »
    I'd say Tipp wouldn't mind Seanie Cleere. He seemed to bring them good luck today ðŸ˜
    Well they've him to thank for John McGrath been available for the final 2nd yellow was a blatant straight red, in fairness to him it was very out of character obviously lost the head in a split second of frustration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

mullinr2 wrote: »
    so now we know who we are facing.I don't see us beating that Tipp team. Their forwards are too good. If Wexford backs couldn't hold them ours won't.
    Final is a complete 50 50, couldn't call it. Tipp forwards are lethal but there defence can be got at. We could have racked about 4-14 very easily by half time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Who was the best is subjective at the best of times but since I went to my 1st All Ireland in 57 I think have seen a fair few greats. Last Sundays team and the team selected the previous Sunday have stick-men to match the best we have produced since I began following Kilkenny all of nearly 70 years ago.
    Leahy, Donnelly, Malone, Keoghan, Maher , Delaney , Walsh and others are as skillful a group of players as we ever produced. Kilkenny are not lacking any basic skills what we are lacking at present is an enforcer in the Frank Cummins, Derek Lyng, Michael Fennelly, Brian Hogan, Jackie Tyrell mode and not one of these enforcers were noted for their physical strength when they were the same age as those I have listed

I read people here on about Limerick about how strong they are physically, about there conditioning etc etc. A lot of these Limerick players have been involved with Rugby and those who were not are involved with teammates who were. Physical training begins at 15 in the rugby academies and the philosophy of the rugby academies has spread across the GAA landscape in Limerick. For the most part physical strength is the sought after holy grail of these academies. Players are expected to be able to compete as adults at 20 and indeed Limerick have climbed to the very top with a group of players who in the previous years under 21 final made the Kilkenny under 21s look like a minor team. I doubt this type of training will lead to longer term success for the simple reason that one gets burnt out at a much much younger age . I hope Kilkenny do not go down this route..
    In today's Independent a line caught my eye "Well-beaten by Limerick on the scoreboard, if not in the actual exchanges," This writer saw the same game I saw last week and not the one the doomsayers saw, the ones who went for Cody's head, the ones who deemed Kilkenny so bad they would not win an All Ireland in the next 10 years. Kilkenny stood up to Limerick and fought them throughout the second half. Have no doubts if Limerick could' they would have beaten us out the gate by as many points as they could possible score. That both teams scored 8 poitns each in the second half is down to kilkenny doggedness, a great trait to have in any team.
    There is great potential in this Kilkenny team. There are great players playing on this Kilkenny team. We are getting over a bout of pure gluttony after the feasting we did between 2000 and 20015. This team is serving up little appetizers at present but it wont be too long before they are ready to once more serve the main course,,

Yo Powerhouse remember what you had to say about this after the league game.

Two years ago Ryan, Donnelly, Leahy, Blanchfield, Delaney and to a lesser extent Lawlor were pushed aside like rag dolls by the physicality of Finn, Hayes, Ryan, Morrissey, Nash, lynch and Gillane, men against boys but not last
    Sunday . Last Sunday every one from both camps were men against men

I expect Kilkenny to beat Cork in the under 20 and if they do we will be in the Minor under 20 and Senior finals. It does not make everything perfect in itself but it surely says Kilkenny hurling is a lot healthier than most on here have been advocating for some time.

Tipperary will be dangerous. A lot of their players are nearer to the end of their careers than to the beginning. A lot of them have been and still are exceptional players who though winning 2 All Irelands are some-what still perceived as being under achievers. This will be a glorious opportunity for them to banish these perceptions for ever and a day. I expect a mighty battle, a battle where we will have to improve on last Saturday and improve quite a bit. I believe we can do just that and with Cody on the line I have great confidence in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Yo Powerhouse remember what you had to say about this after the league game.

Two years ago Ryan, Donnelly, Leahy, Blanchfield, Delaney and to a lesser extent Lawlor were pushed aside like rag dolls by the physicality of Finn, Hayes, Ryan, Morrissey, Nash, lynch and Gillane, men against boys but not last
    Sunday . Last Sunday every one from both camps were men against men

I expect Kilkenny to beat Cork in the under 20 and if they do we will be in the Minor under 20 and Senior finals. It does not make everything perfect in itself but it surely says Kilkenny hurling is a lot healthier than most on here have been advocating for some time.

Tipperary will be dangerous. A lot of their players are nearer to the end of their careers than to the beginning. A lot of them have been and still are exceptional players who though winning 2 All Irelands are some-what still perceived as being under achievers. This will be a glorious opportunity for them to banish these perceptions for ever and a day. I expect a mighty battle, a battle where we will have to improve on last Saturday and improve quite a bit. I believe we can do just that and with Cody on the line I have great confidence in Kilkenny.

all very good points but , shouldn't someone based in georgia be using the terms of yee haa or ya'll rather then yo!! ;)

all very good points but , shouldn't someone based in georgia be using the terms of yee haa or ya'll rather then yo!! ;)

Well I declare bless all :) yo little hurling hearts, Y'All hear me now.

2016 teams
    Tipperary: D Gleeson; C Barrett, J Barry, M Cahill; S Kennedy (0-01), R Maher, Padraic Maher (0-01); B Maher, M Breen; D McCormack (0-01), Patrick Maher (0-02), N McGrath (0-01); J McGrath (1-03), S Callanan (0-13, 0-03f, 1 65), J O'Dwyer (1-05, 1 s/l, 0-01f).

Subs: J Forde (0-02) for Breen, N O'Meara for McCormack, D Maher for Cahill, K Bergin for N McGrath, T Hamill for Kennedy.

Kilkenny: E Murphy; S Prendergast, J Holden, P Murphy; P Walsh (0-02), K Joyce, C Buckley (0-01); TJ Reid (0-11, 0-10f, 0-01 65), C Fogarty; W Walsh (0-01), R Hogan (1-01), E Larkin (0-02); K Kelly (1-02), C Fennelly, L Blanchfield.

Subs: R Lennon for Joyce, L Ryan for Larkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

At least Sean Cleere can't ref the final..

He couldn't ref the semi final either !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

G'wan the boys !
    What a victory.....

To early to be asking if anyone has spares for the Final ?? :p;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

As a loyal Cody fan, Smiling.. Not gloating yet.
    But this is not just Cody. This is KILKENNY who have rarely been out of the top three in underage competition for the last two decades whereas other counties have a good year underage every so often. Consistency at underage leads to consistency at adult level. You don't have to win every year but you do need to be there or thereabouts. So credit the lads involved in our underage

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

U20 match scheduled for 14.00 on Saturday in Portlaoise. Will Mullen (surely frontrunner for yhoty) play?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

U20 match scheduled for 14.00 on Saturday in Portlaoise. Will Mullen (surely frontrunner for yhoty) play?

No unfortunately he won't be playing and he allready is yhoty cody pulled Henry in 2000.and will do the same we can't be greedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jack Barlowe

brilliant intense game on Sat. Ravenous as someone said. very impressed with A Mullan. Colin is having a good spell and Richie Hogan and Walter contributed plenty again. P Walsh outstanding. Murphy made a match winning save at end and H Lawlor very alert to the follow up. Hope we can avoid silly injuries ( from training sessions ) in the build up. The team have had 5 incredibly intense games on the trot and if they manage to win in 3 weeks it will be as hard earned as Limericks last year. Containing Seamus Callanan will be key as his ground strike proves yesterday. , again like Cork game - almost every player did well. its 50 50 for the final the way Cody and Sheedy would like it.

Tipp Wex a classic and Tipp showed real grit also rebounding very strongly after each setback. Pity the sunday game didn't give these 2 epic games the analysis they deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I'd say he is already Young Player of the Year - who esle in the running comes close to him?

T.J. for Senior Player of the Year but competition will be tighter there. All depends on how well the candidates play in final and obviously, who wins the game.

I think T.J. should have got an All Star last year as he was unreal. Carried KK to the league win and was consistently a 9 out of 10.

I'd really love him to lift the Liam Mc Carthy this year as it'd be well deserved plus he lost out on 2010. Would really cement his legacy as a KK great.

"Tipperary will be dangerous. A lot of their players are nearer to the end of their careers than to the beginning. A lot of them have been and still are exceptional players who though winning 2 All Irelands are some-what still perceived as being under achievers. This will be a glorious opportunity for them to banish these perceptions for ever and a day. "

Yes. Lots of motivation for Callanan, Bubbles and Mahers. But TJ and Richie H going for 8 medals and RH should start again in 3 weeks. Colin vying for 7. And new KK players who dont have a medal and they stand a much better chance of winning one with the aforementioned veterans to lead them. Theres always another milestone and Brian Cody has nothing left to prove but with KK v Tipp in the Cody era standing at 3-2 he will rather that be 4-2 rather than 3-3. 50-50. hope for a large KK attendance on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

"Tipperary will be dangerous. A lot of their players are nearer to the end of their careers than to the beginning. A lot of them have been and still are exceptional players who though winning 2 All Irelands are some-what still perceived as being under achievers. This will be a glorious opportunity for them to banish these perceptions for ever and a day. "

Yes. Lots of motivation for Callanan, Bubbles and Mahers. But TJ and Richie H going for 8 medals and RH should start again in 3 weeks. Colin vying for 7. And new KK players who dont have a medal and they stand a much better chance of winning one with the aforementioned veterans to lead them. Theres always another milestone and Brian Cody has nothing left to prove but with KK v Tipp in the Cody era standing at 3-2 he will rather that be 4-2 rather than 3-3. 50-50. hope for a large KK attendance on the day

Where are you getting "Colin vying for 7" from? He has 4 ('11, '12, '14 & '15)!

v3ttel wrote: »
    It's post like this that give the genuine hurling supporters in Kilkenny a bad name.

Measuring Lynch solely by his scores is totally ridiculous. He's a class act, unbelievable work rate, fantastic in the tackle, great reader of the game, moves into space well, and sets up a lot of scores, and makes space for others with good movement. He's now a top class player. No doubt you'd be raving about him if he was wearing our own jersey. Saying that he would hurler of the year because he is a "good talker" is laughable. I struggle to see how anyone could honestly think that, unless they were on the wind up.

You dismiss Cian Lynch but happily crow about Browne covering 12K in 55 mins vs Cork? Sure isn't the only measure of how well a midfielder plays is how much he scores? Just the 1 point for Conor Browne, poor game surely.

I hope you can see the flaws in your own logic.

This Browne chap might make it.#dont believe the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I'd say he is already Young Player of the Year - who esle in the running comes close to him?

T.J. for Senior Player of the Year but competition will be tighter there. All depends on how well the candidates play in final and obviously, who wins the game.

I think T.J. should have got an All Star last year as he was unreal. Carried KK to the league win and was consistently a 9 out of 10.

I'd really love him to lift the Liam Mc Carthy this year as it'd be well deserved plus he lost out on 2010. Would really cement his legacy as a KK great.

Bar a nightmare final Mullen looks the most likely winner of YHOTY. His two biggest threats are probably Rory O'Connor and Kyle Hayes.

Colin F - your right - 4. dont know where I got 6 from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Bar a nightmare final Mullen looks the most likely winner of YHOTY. His two biggest threats are probably Rory O'Connor and Kyle Hayes.

100% Mullen gets it, v good last 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

No unfortunately he won't be playing and he allready is yhoty cody pulled Henry in 2000.and will do the same we can't be greedy.

That grade one tear has flared up again apparently :)

Thought Buckley and Richie probably struggled the most it completely bypassed Leahy possibility of a injury apparently .We were never going to dominate for the entire match .but when they came at us we found a little more .
    The big talking point was the last line ball .i was inline with it and the limerick hurley carrier was in front of me .their was a definite contact with Buckley hand or hurl. The limerick hurley guy ran to the linesman and he agreed he was trying to get the referees attention with his buzzer and the ref blew the final whistle.did anyone see a replay as the ball went dead a limerick forward reached for it but I don't know if he made contact. Maybe a little justice for the Donnelly free last year.Iwas at the game yesterday .tipps halfforwards replaced
    And Breen.if we bring the same work rate they won't live with us .keep space tight at the back and run at their powerful half backs. At times yesterday wexford had 3to 1 overlap and took the wrong options.
    A lot of giving out about cleere about disallowing 3 goals
    First one blatant push in the back no real debate their.
    2nd one we clearly saw the ball go over the bar and straight away umpire held his hand up after getting messages from Hawkeye. Took to long
    But ultimately the correct call.
    3rd one and probably the only one I would have a problem with .
    He was out around the midfield when he clearly blew the whistle a bit early instead of raising his hand For advantage .then awarded a penalty
    And was told it was outside square.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

This Browne chap might make it.

the-point-you-30719018.png

Thought Buckley and Richie probably struggled the most it completely bypassed Leahy possibility of a injury apparently .We were never going to dominate for the entire match .but when they came at us we found a little more .
    The big talking point was the last line ball .i was inline with it and the limerick hurley carrier was in front of me .their was a definite contact with Buckley hand or hurl. The limerick hurley guy ran to the linesman and he agreed he was trying to get the referees attention with his buzzer and the ref blew the final whistle.did anyone see a replay as the ball went dead a limerick forward reached for it but I don't know if he made contact. Maybe a little justice for the Donnelly free last year.Iwas at the game yesterday .tipps halfforwards replaced
    And Breen.if we bring the same work rate they won't live with us .keep space tight at the back and run at their powerful half backs. At times yesterday wexford had 3to 1 overlap and took the wrong options.
    A lot of giving out about cleere about disallowing 3 goals
    First one blatant push in the back no real debate their.
    2nd one we clearly saw the ball go over the bar and straight away umpire held his hand up after getting messages from Hawkeye. Took to long
    But ultimately the correct call.
    3rd one and probably the only one I would have a problem with .
    He was out around the midfield when he clearly blew the whistle a bit early instead of raising his hand For advantage .then awarded a penalty
    And was told it was outside square.

How you can say it clearly went over the bar is beyond me, you couldn't day it from the replay even, Hawkeye is not setup to say if ball has crossed the crossbar so shouldn't have intervened. Wexford back fumbled ball and went to ground v easy. Common sense you play advantage for the third goal, morris had it in net before 5 sec advantage gone, was disgrai and cleere had ruined his intercounty career.

v3ttel wrote: »
    the-point-you-30719018.png

That was me for the side line ok.dont think it took that much of a deflection. Ha ha

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    How you can say it clearly went over the bar is beyond me, you couldn't day it from the replay even, Hawkeye is not setup to say if ball has crossed the crossbar so shouldn't have intervened. Wexford back fumbled ball and went to ground v easy. Common sense you play advantage for the third goal, morris had it in net before 5 sec advantage gone, was disgrai and cleere had ruined his intercounty
    Don't say that we will be stuck with him for club games

How you can say it clearly went over the bar is beyond me, you couldn't day it from the replay even, Hawkeye is not setup to say if ball has crossed the crossbar so shouldn't have intervened. Wexford back fumbled ball and went to ground v easy. Common sense you play advantage for the third goal, morris had it in net before 5 sec advantage gone, was disgrai and cleere had ruined his intercounty
    Don't say that we will be stuck with him for club games

Haha heard he's loved in tullaroan.

Haha heard he's loved in tullaroan.

They are still not over that.to soon it's only been 3 years:):D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Does anyone else think that last line ball should have been a Kilkenny line ball and not a Limerick one? I was near enough to it in the Cusack Stand, I thought Murphy hit it off the back of the Limerick player and it went out.
    I didn't have a completely clear view of it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement