Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Think the latter two have been on the beer.

Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Sad to hear Brendan Fennely of the shamrocks has died RiP.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Sad to hear Brendan Fennely of the shamrocks has died RiP.

Very sad news
    What he done with dunnamaggon will never be equalled.
    Serious hurling man and a fair player in his day. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Grats wrote: »
    Couple of observations. Cody gave so many a run throughout the league and Leinster Championship which is paying off now. Stuck with that half back line and they're playing better individually and as a unit. How did Tommy Walsh, and indeed his club mate Martin Keoghan, fall back in the pack so much?

Key thing also is Pádraig is out from full-back. This is key and we all wanted that I think. Huw Lawlor is good but young yet and a bit inexperienced. These few games will bring him on a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Key thing also is Pádraig is out from full-back. This is key and we all wanted that I think. Huw Lawlor is good but young yet and a bit inexperienced. These few games will bring him on a good bit.

John Donnelly had the highest number of possessions of any Kilkenny player in the first half last Sunday. He put in some shift. It appeared Conor Brown stuck to Lynch and also put in a heavy work load just wondering how others see Brown he has not received much comment here one way or the other.

• Advertisement

John Donnelly had the highest number of possessions of any Kilkenny player in the first half last Sunday. He put in some shift. It appeared Conor Brown stuck to Lynch and also put in a heavy work load just wondering how others see Brown he has not received much comment here one way or the other.

Browne is similar to fogarty in what he gives us huge engine and his hurling will improve .can see him and maher forming a partnership in
    Midfield in the future. Very highly rated in college hurling. .done a good job on lynch keeping him to a few touches. A real find this year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Browne is similar to fogarty in what he gives us huge engine and his hurling will improve .can see him and maher forming a partnership in
    Midfield in the future. Very highly rated in college hurling. .done a good job on lynch keeping him to a few touches. A real find this year
    Beat me to it! Just like Fogarty, or Lester Ryan, from the looks of him, a work horse in the middle of the field, will probably go unnoticed unless he has a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Village87

John Donnelly has been fantastic since his inclusion. The hits and turnovers he produced Saturday were inspiring. Excellent on the ball also.

The one fear i do have about Tipperary is that the 3 Mahers in the half back line are there for the taking but im not sure Kilkenny have the players to take advantage of this. Id Imagine the half forward line of Kilkenny, Wally, TJ and John Donnelly will be picked up by Padraic Maher on Wally, Brendan Maher on TJ and Ronan Maher on John Donnelly. Maybe someone like Billy Ryan could be worth a go out in half forward line. It worked with Eddie Brennan in one all ireland.

You have to move padraig and Ronan around the field. That's when they
    Struggle .strength won't beat those two.tj out on padraig and wally on
    Brendan maybe Hogan to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Yeah, lads at Cork uni have a good word on him. Real good worker and keeps it simple. Knows his limits and does the basics well. Really impressive.

The 2 games, like Huw Lawlor, will bring him on greatly - better than 10 training sessions.

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote: »
    John Donnelly has been fantastic since his inclusion. The hits and turnovers he produced Saturday were inspiring. Excellent on the ball also.

The one fear i do have about Tipperary is that the 3 Mahers in the half back line are there for the taking but im not sure Kilkenny have the players to take advantage of this. Id Imagine the half forward line of Kilkenny, Wally, TJ and John Donnelly will be picked up by Padraic Maher on Wally, Brendan Maher on TJ and Ronan Maher on John Donnelly. Maybe someone like Billy Ryan could be worth a go out in half forward line. It worked with Eddie Brennan in one all ireland.

Hopefully we wont allow them to be come heroes like 2016 the tipp half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

Yeah, lads at Cork uni have a good word on him. Real good worker and keeps it simple. Knows his limits and does the basics well. Really impressive.

The 2 games, like Huw Lawlor, will bring him on greatly - better than 10 training sessions.
    I would like to see Conor Browne marking Noel McGrath to minimise his impact on the game

blackcard wrote: »
    I would like to see Conor Browne marking Noel McGrath to minimise his impact on the game

Or better still, Noel McGrath marking Conor Browne!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will kilkenny go for a running game like wexford which had tipp in all sorts of problems or play it as a more traditional game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭tibruit

C__MC wrote: »
    Will kilkenny go for a running game like wexford which had tipp in all sorts of problems or play it as a more traditional game?

Yeah I was thinking about that too. Problem is that TJ isn`t that type of player but Colin Fennelly could cause big problems at centre forward if the need arose. Leahy is another one who could run at them through the middle. Ritchie Hogan has been a big problem for Tipp at centre forward in the past also. Running at the Mahers is one way of negating their influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Great article from Ger Loughnane in The Star today. He really sums up well how bitter & foolish Donal Og & Derek McGrath were on the Sunday Game. My favourite comment “the magical weekend of hurling was nearly ruined by two eejits of megalomaniacs behaving like Slater and Waldorf on The Muppet Show”. He even mentions the error made by James McGrath in our game against Limerick last year probably cost us the game (12 months too late to mention it but better late than never I suppose). Well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Best of luck to the u20s tomorrow it would cap off a fantastic week if we could get the win.Its hard to believe a few short months ago the talk was kk are finished underage has dried up and nothing coming through etc and here we are 60 mins from competing in 3 finals.Current junior and senior club champions so i think we're in a healthy enough positions.On the u20s its probably a 50-50 on our day we're a match for anyone our defence the last day got us out of a hole when our fowards didnt click and they'll need to be on their game this cork attack is potent.Shefflin can get foward and get crucial scores and if our fowards click some of them have great potential.best of luck to dj and his backroom team.

Whats the point in brining up about the limerick game last year we all know what happened that had a kilkenny interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

C__MC wrote: »

Wexford had the 3 Maher’s in big trouble in the first half.

Liam McGovern pulled them all over the place with his pace and they had 2 or 3 goal chances.

In the second half Wexford tired and played high balls down on top of Ronan and Brendan Maher and they gobbled them up.

Bottom line is none of the 3 Maher’s do well when they are ran at when raw pace.

Laois even troubled them with pace for first 25 minutes.

They thrive on the physical balls in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

It's always said that Cody says nothing in interviews. I thought his post match interview in the KP was quite revealing. For those that haven't seen it or are too mean to pay the €2.80 :D, here it is.

Kilkenny hit, or went very close to hitting a new high in terms of work-rate, ferocity and commitment in Saturday’s sensational All-Ireland semi-final victory over defending MacCarthy cup champions, Limerick, but that is what is expected from the players. The players perform with such intensity because the desire is in them to be the very best they can be insisted Kilkenny manager, Brian Cody, when asked how his charges consistently show such consuming desire during games. “It is either in a fellow or it is not,” said Cody, who managed the cats to their 16th All-Ireland semi-final success on Saturday, and eleventh in-a-row.
    “You can’t send out a fellow you know in your heart and soul will not do that. The basic thing is you go out with a total honesty first of all. The players are in the county panel first because they are good hurlers and they have plenty of skill and all the rest. Then it is the application and honesty they bring, and the sense of team they bring,” he continued. “Limerick are living proof of that in the way they won the All-Ireland last year. They oozed that. We have done it over the years as well”.
    He insisted at the start of the year, even when things were not going well for Kilkenny, that he had huge confidence in the panel. “I know we had huge injuries, but I continued to believe,” he insisted. “I still do because they are very, very honest. ”But, it was suggested, no one ever gets about Kilkenny in the effort stakes? “I would never feel that,” he replied. “We keep our feet on the ground. The only thing we would ever like to think is that we go out and work very, very hard. We have to work at all times to stay competitive. That is our ambition every time we go out.” The James Stephens clubman, who has already guided Kilkenny to 11 All-Ireland wins, said the prize for the victors on Saturday was huge. “We knew that.”

The players all took responsibility, because all the Limerick players are so capable.“ It was a case of all the players knuckling down and applying themselves. An ounce of slackness from anyone would have been damaging.“ Limerickgot goals very late in the first and second halves and they set us back. The response was huge, however.” After the first goal Kilkenny went up the field and scored a point almost straight away. That was a serious thing to do, he insisted. “Near the end we ground it out, ground it,” Brian continued. “It is a great tribute to the players, absolutely. ”Everyone, subs included, put in a massive shift, he felt. Kilkenny were the underdogs, but he said that was understandable, only to be expected. “I always feel the All-Ireland champions are entitled to be regarded as favourites,” he continued. “That is right. You go out and take on the game that is in front of you. It is not simple by a long shot. “You have to be really, really honest to take it on. Thanks be to god that is what the players did. Today the first 10 minutes were huge, because every point from us at that stage proved so,so important at the finish. “In the last 10 minutes you have to just go, go and go. A lot of things can happen. ”The game wasn’t won by any master stroke by any one other than players, he assured. “Everything that happens happens on the field, ”he elaborated. “The players are the ones on the field. The ones on the sideline are just there. We are looking on. “But everything that happened on the field today reflects great credit on the players who were there. The players always win the match.” He thought the first half penalty call against Kilkenny was“tough”, but he refused to say anything negative about the referee. He thought the penalty and concession of a goal knocked Kilkenny back. “You keep going and going and you earn the right to win,” Cody continued. “That is what we did. ”He said Kilkenny were shaping up nicely at the moment, and younger players like Huw Lawlor, Conor Browne and Adrian Mullen had settled in well. “It is a big ask,” he said of the young players stepping up to the plate at senior inter-county level. “Again its’ about your character, but it is also about your ability to bring yourself to the field to play the game and have the nerve to do it. The nerve is hugely important and your head dictates so much about what happens. “Were they pushed and challenged? They were, massively. Were they taking on outstanding players? In a big way. The three lads had huge jobs to do and to face huge competition. They took it in on manfully. “Again, every player contributed so much. ”How difficult will it be to win the final, he was asked? He exhaled, slowly, strongly. “Massive. Massive. We certainly couldn’t win it if we weren’t in it. We have a chance now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

Conor Murphy starting in midfield for the U20's. Normally plays in the backs. Sean Ryan and Aaron Brennan starting. Best of luck to all the team

blackcard wrote: »
    Conor Murphy starting in midfield for the U20's. Normally plays in the backs. Sean Ryan and Aaron Brennan starting. Best of luck to all the team

They might have a defensive role for murphy or could we play a SWEEPER???A very tidy corner back for the bridge anytine i seen him.Tommy ronan must have slipped down the ladder.stephen donnelly loses out while also intresting james bergin who isn't on the panel after starting instead of adrian last time out maybe he is injured but he has being poor by his standards so far but jack kelly who replaced mullen in the squad the last day and got a run also misses out in the squad so lads must of impressed in training and dj not afraid to make a few hard calls.Hopefully things go to plan tomorrow be brillant to get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Wonder will it be like last time with Mullen named but then pulled, we are in an all ireland final and his uncle is being buried in the morning. If his head is alright I’d love to see him playing. Really looking forward to it hopefully we can make it 3/3. I was at the Wexford game and Carey stood out for me in terms of always looking for the ball and played a few great passes even under severe pressure but I’m a little worried what will happen if he has to mark as he doesn’t seem a great tackler but he bursts forwards too and gets in good positions. Best of luck to them and management anyway.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Whats the point in brining up about the limerick game last year we all know what happened that had a kilkenny interest.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭tibruit

In last Sundays Independent, Dermot Crowe wrote two pieces where he spoke about Cody. One was about the victory over Limerick the day before. In the first paragraph he described Cody as the king who met the queen. The other was about Wexford and a guy called Kevin Whelan who didn`t hold back on how much he disliked Kilkenny. He met Cody at an artists exhibition and they were both viewing paintings side by side. One painting was of a Kilkenny team and the other was a of a group of Black and Tans. Whelan remarked how both groups looked alike and Cody laughed and said they were all killers. Crowe is one of the best sports journalists out there but he hates Kilkenny and can`t disguise it. Subliminally he is saying that KK are west Brits. What has Cody meeting the queen got to do with anything that went on the day before?

Fast forward to Sunday night then and we have Donal Og........"and the last point I`ll make right, while I`m on it cos I think it`s often on my mind, I actually believe that type of...you know....accusation of disrespecting the traditions of the games....I actually think it`s part of the last remnants of British culture on these islands, cos we know that the British with the games that they....they founded a lot of them right....they struggled to accept and adapt to the all the wider influences in their game. I would equate this long ball to John Bull type spirit, Jack Charlton type spirit, it`s exactly the same type of spirit for me." It`s been on your mind a while Donal Og? Yeah right ....who was reading Crowe that morning? The irony of comparing Jack Charlton to hurling traditionalists shouldn`t be ignored either. Charltons long ball tactic was designed to suppress the expressiveness of opposing teams which is fair enough. However his critics at the time claimed that it also suppressed the expression of his own players and the critics had a point. Charlton was far more akin to Davy Fitz and Derek McGrath than he ever was to Cody or Sheedy. The true innovators of hurling are in the All Ireland final on the 18th and anyone who wants to understand what innovation in hurling really is, should read the piece from the Kilkenny People posted by Citycat above. Give me character and intensity first and foremost, over numbers behind the ball any time.

With regard to Cusacks earlier rant about the innovations in football. Everything Pat Spillane said back in the day about Puke Football still stands today. As a spectacle, football is in the drain. With the exceptions being Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and this year Cork stepped up to the plate also. If you want to have a nap in your chair on a Sunday afternoon, turn on the Ulster championship. Nothing will get you there faster. Counting sheep has nothing on it. The GAA don`t spend enough time counteracting the falling standards in football as a spectacle brought about by supposed innovators. They could begin by renaming it handball, which is what it really is now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

U20s really poor today. Forwards not in it at all today. Mullens head was really not there today. Eoin Cody tried his best

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

That was a very poor team performance. Very disappointing.
    No intensity, no hunger at all. Did they not learn from the intensity of the seniors last week??
    No ball went to Mullen at all in the second half. Conor Murphy is a defender and they had him in midfield.
    It was a very poor game to lose. Cork did enough to win it and had about 15 more chances than us in the game and could have won by more.

Our performances at U-21 level over the past 8 years has been very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

tibruit wrote: »
    In last Sundays Independent, Dermot Crowe wrote two pieces where he spoke about Cody. One was about the victory over Limerick the day before. In the first paragraph he described Cody as the king who met the queen. The other was about Wexford and a guy called Kevin Whelan who didn`t hold back on how much he disliked Kilkenny. He met Cody at an artists exhibition and they were both viewing paintings side by side. One painting was of a Kilkenny team and the other was a of a group of Black and Tans. Whelan remarked how both groups looked alike and Cody laughed and said they were all killers. Crowe is one of the best sports journalists out there but he hates Kilkenny and can`t disguise it. Subliminally he is saying that KK are west Brits. What has Cody meeting the queen got to do with anything that went on the day before?

Fast forward to Sunday night then and we have Donal Og........"and the last point I`ll make right, while I`m on it cos I think it`s often on my mind, I actually believe that type of...you know....accusation of disrespecting the traditions of the games....I actually think it`s part of the last remnants of British culture on these islands, cos we know that the British with the games that they....they founded a lot of them right....they struggled to accept and adapt to the all the wider influences in their game. I would equate this long ball to John Bull type spirit, Jack Charlton type spirit, it`s exactly the same type of spirit for me." It`s been on your mind a while Donal Og? Yeah right ....who was reading Crowe that morning? The irony of comparing Jack Charlton to hurling traditionalists shouldn`t be ignored either. Charltons long ball tactic was designed to suppress the expressiveness of opposing teams which is fair enough. However his critics at the time claimed that it also suppressed the expression of his own players and the critics had a point. Charlton was far more akin to Davy Fitz and Derek McGrath than he ever was to Cody or Sheedy. The true innovators of hurling are in the All Ireland final on the 18th and anyone who wants to understand what innovation in hurling really is, should read the piece from the Kilkenny People posted by Citycat above. Give me character and intensity first and foremost, over numbers behind the ball any time.

With regard to Cusacks earlier rant about the innovations in football. Everything Pat Spillane said back in the day about Puke Football still stands today. As a spectacle, football is in the drain. With the exceptions being Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and this year Cork stepped up to the plate also. If you want to have a nap in your chair on a Sunday afternoon, turn on the Ulster championship. Nothing will get you there faster. Counting sheep has nothing on it. The GAA don`t spend enough time counteracting the falling standards in football as a spectacle brought about by supposed innovators. They could begin by renaming it handball, which is what it really is now anyway.

This word innovation has crept into GAA speech recently. To me innovation is a business term and not relevant to GAA or hurling.

If people want to use a word about different ways of playing the game, why not stick to words like tactics or changes.

When I hear pundits referring to 'innovation' i'm ready to jump up and turn off the telly.

Hard luck on the under 20's - they never got going. Blanchfield again stood out as a very good prospect for the future - always looks up and hardly ever misplaced a ball - with his running might have been a good option to move him up to half forward when the Kilkenny forwards were getting nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

They said Mullens Uncle died and was only buried this morning. Surely he shouldn't have played as he will be involved with the seniors anyway. Was going to be very tough for the lad

• Advertisement

Well done to the rebels the better team won.they also wasted alot of chances.o Connell ran the show out around mid field we were slow react maybe.It was hard to expect much from mullen today from the high last week to a burial this morning.we just werent good enough its simple as that i thought our fowards couldnt reach the highs of the galway match the last two days.cork were much slicker and created way more than us so best of luck to them in the final.Id still be hopeful we might get a few lads off this squad over the next few years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement