Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I would definitely be in favour of Hogan starting and leaving him on as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

It says a lot when most assume Browne is an automatic choice and this just after two games. Tough call between Maher and Buckley to partner him if this is the case. Both Browne and Buckley can also do a half back job freeing up Fogarty for midfield.
    I would also go with Ritchie to start but happy to know both Sheehan or Ryan can do a job if needed..

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Conor deleany could be the surprise. Apparently was giving loads to tj in training and was first sub on the last day.straight in to wing back and fogarty to midfield. Slightly defensive option but not a bad way to start.
    If Hogan is in bother would like to see billy Ryan get in.has loads of pace
    Which tipp defenders don't have.maybe the ballycallan man could do what eddie done in the past on Maher.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Conor deleany could be the surprise. Apparently was giving loads to tj in training and was first sub on the last day.straight in to wing back and fogarty to midfield. Slightly defensive option but not a bad way to start.
    Which tipp defenders don't have.maybe the ballycallan man could do what eddie done in the past on Maher.

Need to run at and take on Tipp's half back line. They like, and the high ball suits them - similar in a way to Limerick.

Need plenty of movement and keep them thinking. Move them all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

me89 wrote: »

When will the other half go?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BlachAmber

Delaney had Callanan well held in the league this year. He has a big future for us as a backsman I’m sure, might be a stretch to see him as a starter in a final after missing so much of the season but you’d never know.

Huw Lalor hasn’t put a foot wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

SteJer wrote: »
    Like Billy Ryan I think Richie Leahy offers more coming off the bench at the moment. I’d start with the experience of Cillian Buckley, if fit. If not
    I’d start James Maher.

Buckley looks to be improving with each outing. I'd start him and bring on Maher when needed. Maher has no more hurling done than Buckley. Would definitely start Hogan. He takes watching, experienced and clever. Takes some pressure off TJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Would have no problem whatsoever seeing Delaney start. He's as good as, if not better than any defender we have.

I wouldn't even rule out slotting him into the half back line in order to free up Pádraig to slot into midfield. We keep saying we want players to run at the Tipp HB line. No better man to do that than Pádraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

BlachAmber wrote: »
    Delaney had Callanan well held in the league this year. He has a big future for us as a backsman I’m sure, might be a stretch to see him as a starter in a final after missing so much of the season but you’d never know.

Huw Lalor hasn’t put a foot wrong though.

I have great time for delaney and if not for injury the chances are he probably would of held on to the full back spot.Huw is still very raw and a few times seems nearly too keen to catch the ball instead of maybe shielding his man or maybe breaking it.He seems a very honest guy and infairness he didn't drop his head the last day in fact had the confidence to make a big run with one ball.I hope he can learn with every outing hopefully he can go well next week against one of the best in the business.It was very noticeable the last day wally and donnelly sat back and our half back line held their positions so hopefully and were ready to get back quick to help out or full back line so hopefully the mistakes of 2016 arent repeated.it would be great for joey and murphy to have a reslly good game and get a win.
    One thing about cody he wont be afraid to pick a lad on form so if delaney,maher or buckley were going well they will be near starting.Tipp will probably try get their match ups right brendan maher will probably stick to tj and Ronan on colin but we'll have to worry bout ourselves.
    Browne done a good job on lynch and im sure noel mcgrath after his exploits the last day could be man marked by browne..Tipp usually like to play traditionally with plenty of movement's in their fowards but Colin has being in brillant form all year hopefully he can keep it going.Id also start richie he missed a few scores to settle the last day but with his experience he has to start if fit.Id alao prefer to start buckley if he was going well and use leahy and billy as subs when it opens up.lots of ifs and buts but isn't it great to have two teams in the final and the colour going up hopefully we get behind the two teams and give them the support they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭tibruit

I don`t see any changes at the back barring injury. Browne seems to be a certain starter now that we know he can negate an influential player so he looks an obvious marker for Noel McGrath. Leahys place might be up for grabs. Was he injured the last day? The middle third is going to be the war zone that we have to win to deny the supply to the Tipp inside forwards. Someone like Buckley might seem the ideal type of player for that but I think you need guys who are pacey, that can get on breaking ball fast and extricate themselves from tight situations and for me that`s Leahy, plus he`ll run at the Tipp half back line. Barring injury, I don`t see any changes in the forwards either, although if someone was flying in training then Ritchie Hogan might lose out and be held back as an impact sub. The wing forwards played an important role in the first half against Limerick and they both have to start and Reid, Mullen and Fennelly are certain starters. I`d go with the same 15 that started last time. Personally I would like to see TJ and Colin Fennelly switching from time to time. I think the directness and pace of Fennelly would cause problems for a Tipp half back line and they may only be prepared for crowding TJ. But if you move TJ to full they`ll need to rethink how to deal with him. TJ at full and then give Hogan the freedom to roam out to midfield. Tactics will only get you so far though. You`ve got to win the possession and turnovers war first. All the scoring opportunities develop from that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

tibruit wrote: »
    I don`t see any changes at the back barring injury. Browne seems to be a certain starter now that we know he can negate an influential player so he looks an obvious marker for Noel McGrath. Leahys place might be up for grabs. Was he injured the last day? The middle third is going to be the war zone that we have to win to deny the supply to the Tipp inside forwards. Someone like Buckley might seem the ideal type of player for that but I think you need guys who are pacey, that can get on breaking ball fast and extricate themselves from tight situations and for me that`s Leahy, plus he`ll run at the Tipp half back line. Barring injury, I don`t see any changes in the forwards either, although if someone was flying in training then Ritchie Hogan might lose out and be held back as an impact sub. The wing forwards played an important role in the first half against Limerick and they both have to start and Reid, Mullen and Fennelly are certain starters. I`d go with the same 15 that started last time. Personally I would like to see TJ and Colin Fennelly switching from time to time. I think the directness and pace of Fennelly would cause problems for a Tipp half back line and they may only be prepared for crowding TJ. But if you move TJ to full they`ll need to rethink how to deal with him. TJ at full and then give Hogan the freedom to roam out to midfield. Tactics will only get you so far though. You`ve got to win the possession and turnovers war first. All the scoring opportunities develop from that.

He didn't go too well there against Limerick ….
    Browne and Fogarty/Maher for me in the middle

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ritchie Hogan might lose out and be held back as an impact sub.

The problem there is that he usually doesn't have much of an impact when he's a sub. I think with a player like Richie, and the threat he has shown he still poses in the last two matches, you start him, and play him for as long as he's still causing trouble, then bring on Sheehan/Ryan/whoever. Actually against Cork he was taken off too early, though that seems to have been Cody deciding his workrate tracking defenders for the puckout wasn't up to scratch. I think putting him on the bench is like leaving the Ferrari in the garage on the day of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hogan needs to start, it usually takes him a while to 'grow' into a game, then take him off when he runs out of steam after 50mins or so.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I see a few reports today sheehan is a doubt with a hamstring he injured last weekend.The independent also states buckleys recover not as good since the limerick match.Maybe our few boro men can shed some light on their injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

The problem there is that he usually doesn't have much of an impact when he's a sub. I think with a player like Richie, and the threat he has shown he still poses in the last two matches, you start him, and play him for as long as he's still causing trouble, then bring on Sheehan/Ryan/whoever. Actually against Cork he was taken off too early, though that seems to have been Cody deciding his workrate tracking defenders for the puckout wasn't up to scratch. I think putting him on the bench is like leaving the Ferrari in the garage on the day of the race.

Richie does a lot of work off the ball and when on the ball is looking to play a better positioned guy in, or if it is on, he is well able to take his point or goal - he has to start, even for his presence alone, and keeps attention away from Colin and TJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    I see a few reports today sheehan is a doubt with a hamstring he injured last weekend.The independent also states buckleys recover not as good since the limerick match.Maybe our few boro men can shed some light on their injuries.
    Heard all right that Sheehan might not make the final. Hopefully the open training day next Monday will clear up a lot of the rumours that circulate around All Ireland time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Got a bit of a giggle outta this😅

Richie does a lot of work off the ball and when on the ball is looking to play a better positioned guy in, or if it is on, he is well able to take his point or goal - he has to start, even for his presence alone, and keeps attention away from Colin and TJ.

Yeah...I agree with all that and that there`s nothing I`d like more than to see him start and have a cracker. However if you`re looking to the bench with 25 minutes to go and you`re 3 or 4 points down, who have you got to bring on and create something to turn the game on it`s head? As it stands we would be looking to Ryan, Blanchfield, Aylward and Murphy. James Maher could potentially slot in at wing forward. None of them have so far shot the lights out on the scoreboard at this level except Aylward and it`s 4 years since he did that. I wouldn`t be that hopeful of any of them having a major creative or scoring impact. At least there`s a chance that Hogan might create something out of nothing. The 2016 final makes sobering viewing. Hogan, Reid, Fennelly and Wallie all started that game and only scored 1-2 from play between them. Hogan got the goal, but that only came near the end when Tipp were out of sight. TJ and Colin were scoreless from play. There`s no doubt that this Tipp team blow hot and cold. But if they turn up on the day and match our intensity, we could be in big trouble and after watching the Limerick game they`re going to be under no illusions about what`s required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Yeah...I agree with all that and that there`s nothing I`d like more than to see him start and have a cracker. However if you`re looking to the bench with 25 minutes to go and you`re 3 or 4 points down, who have you got to bring on and create something to turn the game on it`s head? As it stands we would be looking to Ryan, Blanchfield, Aylward and Murphy. James Maher could potentially slot in at wing forward. None of them have so far shot the lights out on the scoreboard at this level except Aylward and it`s 4 years since he did that. I wouldn`t be that hopeful of any of them having a major creative or scoring impact. At least there`s a chance that Hogan might create something out of nothing. The 2016 final makes sobering viewing. Hogan, Reid, Fennelly and Wallie all started that game and only scored 1-2 from play between them. Hogan got the goal, but that only came near the end when Tipp were out of sight. TJ and Colin were scoreless from play. There`s no doubt that this Tipp team blow hot and cold. But if they turn up on the day and match our intensity, we could be in big trouble and after watching the Limerick game they`re going to be under no illusions about what`s required.

I completely agree with you there. If Tipp turn up with the same intensity that we do then they will probably have too much for us. Our forwards are going to have step up to the mark. If you look at the Limerick match, we only scored one point in the last 10 minutes of normal time and 5 minutes of injury time. That won't cut the mustard for the final

So, not to start hogan and hold him as an impact sub? Might be risky if the game has slipped away from Kilkenny.
    My thinking is that Brian will put out his strongest team and if Richie is fit enough, he will start - the inclusion of Delaney and Buckley may be considered, but must not make the mistake of playing players carrying injuries, which could be any of the above three.

Tipp apart from the limerick match have being in very good form.We know how dangerous they are especially their full foward line.Bonner is a big loss his workrate and winning dirty ball helps feed the inside danger men.Bubbles and john McGrath have being below par this year so both will hope to have a good final.callanan has scored a goal in every match so we will really have to bring our A game cause they have no problem going for the jugular.We just can not let their half back line get on top but I think their full back line can be got at.They have a more settled team but we're getting all our lads back together at the right time.Id say the team will stay much the same with maybe buckley with experience and hopefully a few more weeks behind him might start and leahy more suited to a sub when the game opens up.Hopefully we can bring that huge intensity we brought the last day can be brought àgain.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Since murphy and joey were 2 of the 3 in 16and tipp still have john mc grath bubbles and callinan.do people think murphy and joey will start in our back 3.I think they will and happy for them to start but what do others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

blackcard wrote: »
    Heard all right that Sheehan might not make the final. Hopefully the open training day next Monday will clear up a lot of the rumours that circulate around All Ireland time

Buckley is fine and had no injury to recover from the Limerick game. He has trained very hard since that game to improve his fitness. He was very good against Limerick in comparison to other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

mullinr2 wrote: »

I completely agree with you there. If Tipp turn up with the same intensity that we do then they will probably have too much for us. Our forwards are going to have step up to the mark. If you look at the Limerick match, we only scored one point in the last 10 minutes of normal time and 5 minutes of injury time. That won't cut the mustard for the final
    Hard to imagine that a Liam Sheedy managed team will not have intensity in an All Ireland, they certainly had in 2009 and 2010. For Kilkenny to win, we would have to play above average and hope that Tipp play below average. I think that we will have to make full use of our subs bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

First 5 games of the championship were blatantly average performances where Richie didn't start.

Starts against Cork and COMPLETELY changes the dynamic of our forward play. Another reliable player for backs to deliver to, constantly in the right position to link up with Colin, constantly a threat to the opposition thereby requiring watching.

He may not have been as effective on the ball against Limerick but he should start. He should always start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

brookville wrote: »

Was talking to a very reliable source today from the camp who says we have no issues with any of the lads Sheehan did have a small tweak of the hamstring the other day but he's fine and there are no injury concerns at all.

First 5 games of the championship were blatantly average performances where Richie didn't start.

Starts against Cork and COMPLETELY changes the dynamic of our forward play. Another reliable player for backs to deliver to, constantly in the right position to link up with Colin, constantly a threat to the opposition thereby requiring watching.

He may not have been as effective on the ball against Limerick but he should start. He should always start.

He`s not going to last for 70 minutes so you have to decide what part of the game you want him involved in. If he starts I`d rather see him further out from goal either alternating with TJ or maybe just in a free role in front of him. I was in the Cusack the last day and I got a good look at him close up in the first half. He was extremely anxious to get possession which is fine but a few times he competed for high ball from behind with his own team mates when the better option was to stay down for the break. It was only when he moved out later in the half that he got more involved in the game.

Tipp are going to be firmly focused on denying TJ possession. Not many defenders are going to win clean possession from puckouts dropped on TJ or Wallie so there`s going to be a lot of ball breaking from those encounters. That`s where I`d like to see Hogan picking up possession. It`s also why I think Leahy should start at midfield,because he`s pacey and can get on breaking ball and run at defences. I`d have James Maher next in line. Padraig Maher is one guy we should be concentrating on turning over every time he gets the ball. Tipp were also vulnerable when Wexford ran at them through the middle.

The middle third has in recent times become a contracted warzone as nowadays both teams like to try to create space in front of their full forward lines. The big physical direct player is at a disadvantage in the crowded zone because when he gets possession there`s always a couple of the opposition trying to stand him up and turn him over. So ironically, now you need a few fellas in that area, who are to all intents and purposes your old style corner forward. They have pace and a change of direction that they can use to extricate themselves from a tight situation. Personally I think Hogan is wasted at corner forward.

• Advertisement

Yes, when he is on, the forwards play more as a unit and his presence has a lot to do with that. He may not appear to be doing the hard grafting as of old because of his injury, but his clever touches and passes encourage his team mates and bring a different dynamic in to play. He takes watching and that takes the pressure off the other forwards, particularly the younger players. Maybe Sunday week is the day his niggly back injury deserts him, and that is bonus territory for him and Kilkenny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement