Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Just listened to the Newstalk off the ball podcast with Tommy Walsh and Shane McGrath from a few days ago.... massive mutual respect between the players of that era, well worth a listen.

Tommy on again this morning. Not only was he such a legend as a player, he's an outstanding analyst, I could listen to him all day. No BS, no drama, no ego, refreshing. Interestingly he was asked about TJ in the context of Kilkenny greats and only mentioned Keher, DJ and Henry, no mention of himself. I'd have him in that bracket personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Tommy on again this morning. Not only was he such a legend as a player, he's an outstanding analyst, I could listen to him all day. No BS, no drama, no ego, refreshing. Interestingly he was asked about TJ in the context of Kilkenny greats and only mentioned Keher, DJ and Henry, no mention of himself. I'd have him in that bracket personally.

There was a bit of the 'cult hero' about him; but to be fair there a few on that team that you could put in that bracket.

The thing about Keher and DJ was they they were standout players on the team they were on; you could say the same about TJ.

Whereas that team in the late 2000s, there were 5 or 6 of them really that in any other era would have been stand out players.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    There was a bit of the 'cult hero' about him; but to be fair there a few on that team that you could put in that bracket.

The thing about Keher and DJ was they they were standout players on the team they were on; you could say the same about TJ.

Whereas that team in the late 2000s, there were 5 or 6 of them really that in any other era would have been stand out players.

Ahh stop the lights, from about the age of 19 Tommy was a standout on that superstar team.
    He won all stars in every single line of the field except for goals and the full forward line.

Brian Cody admitted himself before that he never ever saw the likes of Tommy Walsh and JJ Delaney before and probably never will.

That says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

Think we can say that in that decade, that kk had 3 of the best 6 or 7 hurlers to ever play the game in Henry, tommy and jj and without these legends and best ever manager, wonderful players like the Richie's, Eddie, kav, hickey, fennellys would not have been as successful. Now we are blessed with the next legend that could be instrumental in another AI.
    Spoilt !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I was talking to some of the lads out in the Boro and they meet Buckley last weekend and he was very relaxed and happy they reckon he must be starting as he gets very quite and subdued when not starting. Should know shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

catseye2 wrote: »
    Think we can say that in that decade, that kk had 3 of the best 6 or 7 hurlers to ever play the game in Henry, tommy and jj and without these legends and best ever manager, wonderful players like the Richie's, Eddie, kav, hickey, fennellys would not have been as successful. Now we are blessed with the next legend that could be instrumental in another AI.
    Spoilt !!!

I'd put Eoin Larkin and Jackie up there too and I'm not from the village. Had Michael Rice not been unlucky with injuries he would have dined at that table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I was talking to some of the lads out in the Boro and they meet Buckley last weekend and he was very relaxed and happy they reckon he must be starting as he gets very quite and subdued when not starting. Should know shortly.

Buckley will definitely start.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I'm a wreck I think we have more than enough to trouble tipps backs especially with the workrate against limerick, however mcgrath and Callanan need quieting so 2 of English will be in croke Park in kilkenny colours come on both minors and seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Tip
    E Murphy
    P Murphy H Lawlor J Holden
    C Fogarty P Walsh P Deegan
    C Browne C Buckley
    J Donnelly TJ Reid W Walsh
    A Mullen C Fennelly R Hogan
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C Delaney
    E Morrissey
    J Cleere
    R Reid
    R Leahy
    J Maher
    B Ryan
    L Blanchfield
    G Aylward
    A Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Feel sorry for Bill Sheehan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

Only 2 more sleeps..

Think subs by position are listed in order they might come on as required

Richie Reid picking up Sheehan spot in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Charlie69

That's the team most people would have expected I suppose, what do ye think lads?... general consensus seems to be Tipp will win a shootout and Kilkenny if it's a dogfight.
    If we do limit the supply to the Tipp FF line I'd still be very concerned about Tipperary's ability to pick off scores from long range and don't expect them to be as wayward with their shooting as Limerick.

I feel a lot will have to go right for us and Tipp will have to be a bit below par.. but I thought that for Cork and Limerick games too to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

That's the team most people would have expected I suppose, what do ye think lads?... general consensus seems to be Tipp will win a shootout and Kilkenny if it's a dogfight.
    If we do limit the supply to the Tipp FF line I'd still be very concerned about Tipperary's ability to pick off scores from long range and don't expect them to be as wayward with their shooting as Limerick.

I feel a lot will have to go right for us and Tipp will have to be a bit below par.. but I thought that for Cork and Limerick games too to be fair.

I don’t understand how Kilkenny supporters seem to think that Tipperary seem to be ahead of Kilkenny,as I see it and most genuine Tipperary supporters too think it’s a 50 50 game where if Tipperary don’t match Kilkenny’s work rate and intensity we will be in bother,all year every game Killkeny have played they have either won or lost by one score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Def 50:50, no tipp fans are that confident of a win, all depends which team turn up on the day. Having sheedy means tipp fans are more confident of us having intensity which can be lacking at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Grats wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Bill Sheehan.
    Heard he has an injury

morphy87 wrote: »
    I don’t understand how Kilkenny supporters seem to think that Tipperary seem to be ahead of Kilkenny,as I see it and most genuine Tipperary supporters too think it’s a 50 50 game where if Tipperary don’t match Kilkenny’s work rate and intensity we will be in bother,all year every game Killkeny have played they have either won or lost by one score

To be honest I've always thought that this Tipp team have hugely underachieved over the years.... the Sheedy factor makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Conor Fogarty, Cillian Buckley, Padraigh Walsh & Eoin Murphy are as good as any for picking off long range points while Joey H, Paddy D, and Paul M are not afraid to have a pop.John Donnelly, TJ Reid Waltar Walsh & Adrian Mullen are no slouches from distance so no I do not see any Tipp advantage in this ability. It is the space afforded that makes the difference and Tipp are supposed and I say supposed better space makers. I don't believe this at all.The proverbial dog with the mallet up you know what can score from 100 plus yards if allowed time and space Cut down both, different story, and Kilkenny will cut down both.
    Kilkenny are depending on three players to step up to the plate and realize their obvious potential. Hue Lawlor, Conor Browne and Adrian Mullen. We know what the rest will do, If two of the three win or even hold their own we are half way there. If all three win their positions we are all the way there. I have every confidence in all three. Because of the position Lawlor has the toughest task but no better boy. After having to deal with McDonald, Horgan and Gillane he has had plenty of practice defending against 3 of the best 4 full forwards in the game with Callinan being the 4th.

Conor Fogarty, Cillian Buckley, Padraigh Walsh & Eoin Murphy are as good as any for picking off long range points while Joey H, Paddy D, and Paul M are not afraid to have a pop.John Donnelly, TJ Reid Waltar Walsh & Adrian Mullen are no slouches from distance so no I do not see any Tipp advantage in this ability. It is the space afforded that makes the difference and Tipp are supposed and I say supposed better space makers. I don't believe this at all.The proverbial dog with the mallet up you know what can score from 100 plus yards if allowed time and space Cut down both, different story, and Kilkenny will cut down both.
    Kilkenny are depending on three players to step up to the plate and realize their obvious potential. Hue Lawlor, Conor Browne and Adrian Mullen. We know what the rest will do, If two of the three win or even hold their own we are half way there. If all three win their positions we are all the way there. I have every confidence in all three. Because of the position Lawlor has the toughest task but no better boy. After having to deal with McDonald, Horgan and Gillane he has had plenty of practice defending against 3 of the best 4 full forwards in the game with Callinan being the 4th.

I hope you're right my friend. I'm concerned about Huw Lawlor tbh… you could argue that both Horgan and Gillane got the better of him, Horgan for sure... I think he's still very green and I think Conor Delaney would have been a better match for Callinan had he remained injury free this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I think he's still very green and I think Conor Delaney would have been a better match for Callinan had he remained injury free this year.

**** me. That's some statement ahead of a lad about to play his first senior All Ireland. No offence. I'll side with Cody on this one.

citykat wrote: »
    **** me. That's some statement ahead of a lad about to play his first senior All Ireland. No offence. I'll side with Cody on this one.
    No offence taken.. just my opinion... I don't think my post will keep the chap awake tonight to be honest though.:D

• Advertisement

I hope you're right my friend. I'm concerned about Huw Lawlor tbh… you could argue that both Horgan and Gillane got the better of him, Horgan for sure... I think he's still very green and I think Conor Delaney would have been a better match for Callinan had he remained injury free this year.

McDonald failed to score a goal off him x 2games. Gillane did not score a goal against him from play. Horgan scored 2 goals against him. He was to blame for one for certain but over all that is an excellent record for a newbie. I have great faith in this guy

Another relative newcomer is John Donnelly. The only surprising thing about him is why it took him so long to establish himself. It is obvious Cody wanted a higher work rate from him as he lacks nothing in skill. pace and height. I have been impressed by this guy from a long way out. He has a pair of wrists that can make a ball sing and a belt that borders on being cruelty to a sliother. I would love to see this guy in full forward. wont happen but I would still love to see it.

Another relative newcomer is John Donnelly. The only surprising thing about him is why it took him so long to establish himself. It is obvious Cody wanted a higher work rate from him as he lacks nothing in skill. pace and height. I have been impressed by this guy from a long way out. He has a pair of wrists that can make a ball sing and a belt that borders on being cruelty to a sliother. I would love to see this guy in full forward. wont happen but I would still love to see it.

I agree and Paddy Deegan is v underated too imo.

I think Tipps half forward line is their weakest and very hopeful for Sunday.

I think Tipps half forward line is their weakest and very hopeful for Sunday.

McDonald failed to score a goal off him x 2games. Gillane did not score a goal against him from play. Horgan scored 2 goals against him. He was to blame for one for certain but over all that is an excellent record for a newbie. I have great faith in this guy

McDonald wasn’t marking him in the Leinster final though, he was more out on the half forward line and scored 0-4 from play.

And the right man to drive any of the Maher’s 10 yards back onto their holes.

Bull strength he has!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Starting to get excited now bout Sunday.The match ups will be intriguing.I suspect we will set up similar to the limerick game although that does seem a bit predictable so maybe we'll see slight adjustments.i hope Buckley has shown enough in the last few weeks and if we can get a shift out of him it will be a huge help.The same probably applies to Hogan he probably isn't a 70 min man anymore but he will still take watching.He drove a few wides the last day so hopefully he can get an early score to settle down.We can speculate tactics and predictions but like every match with ourselves and tipp this will take on a life of its own.We know they have unbelievable stickmen so we'll have to bring huge fight and work rate to the table.We seen a few years ago the ball into hand they got it was impossible to defend.Hopefully the hurt is still there to drive us on that extra bit.
    Alot of talk bout Seamie on huw i hope the chap goes well he is a very honest lad but Colin has also had his best ever year and if he can get enough ball into hand he can also do serious damage.Our tactic all year is to leave him isolated inside with Hogan and Mullen will drift so hopefully we can get enough quality ball in.
    Best of luck to both our teams sunday we probably are in bonus territory in that not much was expected of both teams last winter so it's great to be there now hopefully we can finish the job off and prove the doubters wrong.After the brillant year tj had it would be great for him.Hopefully the women can start the weekend off on a good note tomorrow evening.

morphy87 wrote: »

Id completely agree that its 50/50. Many personnel may have changed but Kilkennys attitude and application to go with the obvious skill level they have very much remains. If we dont win primary or even secondary possession in that half forward line we are in dire straits and that Kilkenny half back line will mop up. The difference in 2010 and 2016 is we breached that line and the Berlin wall collapsed so to speak on each occasion. 14 was an open game too where we had enough chances and we also won plenty of ball in 2009. 2011 and the 14 replay though was played on Kilkennys terms and we had to sing for our supper. Our game relys on many variables to favour us. if even one of those doesnt go our way then we are in trouble.

i think we are underestimating the likes of Huw Lawlor. We done the same with Paul Murphy in 2011 and he gave a standout performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

I think our bench is our weak link ....especially scoring forwards ..... i dont think you can count Alan Murphy and Ger as useable subs ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement