Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Public sale of tickets in Nowlan Park is on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week, 27th - 29th June from 11am - 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Nedflanders02

brookville wrote: »
    So what are our expectations sunday?are we happy to give a good account of ourselves and lose by five or 6 points or can we get a win a blow the whole thing wide open.Its being a long time since we were such outsiders in a leinster final.
    we'll obviously need a better return from our fowards and not being so reliant on tj.I wonder will aylward start or kevin kelly must be nearly back although it's unlikely he'll be thrown into start.
    I'm hopefull cody can get the matchups right and we can have a right cut off galway but we'll need everyone going well.

I think Kevin Kelly was only getting back to full training last week so it might be asking a lot of him to be involved this weekend but hopefully for the next game he could be in contention.

As regards to Sunday it’s very difficult to know what to expect from us, we’ve got to a Leinster final but haven’t really played that well other than the second half against Wexford, hopefully that will now kickstart our championship and we can put in a good performance on Sunday. Galway are deservedly favorites but they’re not unbeatable either but we’re going to need a massive all round performance, what we’ve got from our forwards so far won’t be enough.

It’ll be interesting to see what team is picked, obviously we’d all like to see Padraig out at wing back it would be unlikely to see him moved out at this stage. I don’t think there’ll be much change at the back possibly Joey to start instead of Morrissey. It’s hard to know what way the forwards will set up, we need to try and stop the Galway half back line dominating like they did the last day. I think if there’s one area on the Galway team we can maybe exploit it might be the Galway corner backs, Scanlon did well on Tuohy the last day and I think someone like Aylward or Hogan could cause Hansbury some problems. Hopefully we can use the wide open space of Croke Park to our advantage and try and work the ball a bit better and move there backs around and make it uncomfortable for them, if we just lump high ball on the half back and full back lines we won’t have a hope of beating them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think we did well in the finish against Dublin as well but I agree that in general we have not caught fire at all yet. The last outing against galway didn't give much cause for optimism and neither did the u21 last week. But I dunno, I just have a feeling this weekend might go better than we're being given credit for. Our forwards have been, let's be honest, totally septic so far this summer. But we'll hopefully have a fully fit and back in his rhythm Richie Hogan, meaning the opposition won't be able to consider the job done once they bottle up TJ. No particular reason for the hope on this, just a feeling, I think he has a point to prove right now and this is the match to do it. Not pinning everything on that but in general I think the forwards are "due" a break out. A few players have been showing flashes here and there and it's like they're waiting to click. Donnelly, for example. Walter has been underrated this year IMO, he's doing good work coming out hunting for ball while at other times playing the old fashioned full forward.

But the forwards performance will depend on how well we have adjusted at the back since the last game. Cody is notoriously bad at making changes in matches (I think that's a little overstated but anyway it has some truth) but he's always been great at responding to what went wrong between games, and there's no way we'll be as naive again in terms of letting Buckley get completely bottled up coming out with possession again, if they are serious about developing the passing game it's one thing to talk about giving good ball to the forwards, but the backs need to be supporting each other in possession to make that possible, if you're clearing under pressure that's impossible. I think with the extra space that will suit Buckley et al.

Can't do much about the physicality, Galway are just bigger tougher men than our lads, but that is no reason at all to be bullied. There needs to be a much bigger mean streak to the backs, a bit of bouldness. Paul Murphy needs to lead the way on that, make an early statement and less by example that this **** of being horsed out of it and pushed around isn't going to happen today.

But I have a good feeling. Kk by 1 or 2 is my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I think we did well in the finish against Dublin as well but I agree that in general we have not caught fire at all yet. The last outing against galway didn't give much cause for optimism and neither did the u21 last week. But I dunno, I just have a feeling this weekend might go better than we're being given credit for. Our forwards have been, let's be honest, totally septic so far this summer. But we'll hopefully have a fully fit and back in his rhythm Richie Hogan, meaning the opposition won't be able to consider the job done once they bottle up TJ. No particular reason for the hope on this, just a feeling, I think he has a point to prove right now and this is the match to do it. Not pinning everything on that but in general I think the forwards are "due" a break out. A few players have been showing flashes here and there and it's like they're waiting to click. Donnelly, for example. Walter has been underrated this year IMO, he's doing good work coming out hunting for ball while at other times playing the old fashioned full forward.

But the forwards performance will depend on how well we have adjusted at the back since the last game. Cody is notoriously bad at making changes in matches (I think that's a little overstated but anyway it has some truth) but he's always been great at responding to what went wrong between games, and there's no way we'll be as naive again in terms of letting Buckley get completely bottled up coming out with possession again, if they are serious about developing the passing game it's one thing to talk about giving good ball to the forwards, but the backs need to be supporting each other in possession to make that possible, if you're clearing under pressure that's impossible. I think with the extra space that will suit Buckley et al.

Can't do much about the physicality, Galway are just bigger tougher men than our lads, but that is no reason at all to be bullied. There needs to be a much bigger mean streak to the backs, a bit of bouldness. Paul Murphy needs to lead the way on that, make an early statement and less by example that this **** of being horsed out of it and pushed around isn't going to happen today.

I agree, nearly everyone I've spoken to about next Sunday expect Galway to beat us with quite a bit to spare but while I don't expect us to win the game I do think we'll put it right up to them and wouldn't be surprised if we edged it by a point or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I agree with you on the Richie Hogan point. If he is at 90% or better it could have a major bearing on the game. He changed the final 2 years ago coming off the bench but i think we need him starting this time. We will learn a lot from this game as to where KK are heading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I wouldn't be surprised to see Richie on the bench. As far back as the 2015 final Cody has been very quick to take him off and the fact he pulled him at half time the last day would lead me to think he could bench him for one of the lads who turned the Wexford game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I'd say this will be a very close game. Maybe someone will stretch away to win by 5-6 in the end but it'll be a contest.

On the basis of the hugely simplistic logic that they lost already and will have learned more from that day Kilkenny should win. The caveat is of course that this assumes there is not quite a big gulf between the teams which cannot be bridged. Sometimes you can learn and just not be good enough to do anything about it. Maybe that'll happen Kilkenny but if not they might well win. Tipperary were not firing on all cylinders last August and Galway were lucky enough to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Are they selling Hill 16 tickets in Supervalu?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I would love it if we win on Sunday but I just can't see it happening. We have not put in a solid 70min performance in the championship this year. Lots of people are saying "we'll do good in the open spaces of Croke Park" but that'll suit Galway aswell - Whelan and Cooney could have a field day.
    I think we will lose to Galway and get knocked out by Limerick. I HOPE I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Really looking forward to sunday.alot of people all over the country seem to think galway are on another level to other teams.I dont think thats true and if we have everyone firing and fit on sunday I think we have a great chance of winning.for me the likes of colin richie ger awylard have to be back to their form of a couple of seasons ago.along wirh walter tj leahy blanch we can cause anyone problems.all to play for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Unusually quiet on the run into a leinster final. I guess it's because there are lower expectations this year than what we are used to.
    It's going to be tough Sunday but cody will have the lads in the frame of mind that they have to hit the ground running and take the opportunities when they arise. If this happens the lads have every chance.

I would reckon fennelly and hogan will play a part Sunday. They've had a number of weeks to improve on awareness, 1st touch and build up fitness to face championship intensity. We would all love to see padraig out wing back and Delaney in full but it's probably not going to start that way Sunday. Cleere probably wont .am a the starting 15 due to lack of game time but he would be decent in half back.

My stab at the team for Sunday.

Murphy
    Murphy
    Walsh
    Deegan
    Delaney
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    Leahy
    Maher
    Walter
    Tj
    Hogan
    Donnelly
    Fennelly
    Blanchfield

Holden
    Cleere
    Morrissey
    Scanlon
    Sheehan
    Aylward

Maybe fogarty to midfield and Leahy to half forward

Joey would play in my team.think he has a good season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Unusually quiet on the run into a leinster final. I guess it's because there are lower expectations this year than what we are used to.
    It's going to be tough Sunday but cody will have the lads in the frame of mind that they have to hit the ground running and take the opportunities when they arise. If this happens the lads have every chance.

I would reckon fennelly and hogan will play a part Sunday. They've had a number of weeks to improve on awareness, 1st touch and build up fitness to face championship intensity. We would all love to see padraig out wing back and Delaney in full but it's probably not going to start that way Sunday. Cleere probably wont .am a the starting 15 due to lack of game time but he would be decent in half back.

My stab at the team for Sunday.

Murphy
    Murphy
    Walsh
    Deegan
    Delaney
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    Leahy
    Maher
    Walter
    Tj
    Hogan
    Donnelly
    Fennelly
    Blanchfield

Holden
    Cleere
    Morrissey
    Scanlon
    Sheehan
    Aylward

Maybe fogarty to midfield and Leahy to half forward

Very quite here is right.Its going to be intresting to see what kinda team he picks.Our subs have being good to us in most matches in praticluar the dublin and wexford match thats the way the game has gone.Differant talk of maybe cleere starting or aylward but its all probably rumours because not much comes out of any camps now.Id be hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves on Sunday but the reality is our fowards have being very poor till now but a good performance or a win sunday could kick start our season.
    if you throw in a fit hogan and colin and alyward going well along with wally and tj thsts a strong foward line with experience and gamechangers that can cause galway trouble but we havent got a full 70 minute performance for a while.Hopefully we get our team selection and match up right if we get these right we should have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I suppose I would feel similar to most posters here. I think we could squeeze a win out of it if we approach this the right way around. On current form though my head says we should be beaten by 3 to 4 points. We aren't as bad as the day in Salthill, it was our 3rd weekend, they were coming off a break week and they also had home advantage and in Salthill this counts for a lot. For me that led to us falling away from the 60th min on, that day. At that point we were only 3 or 4 points down and I think we should be making sure if they do beat us it's not by more than that.

As a few have pointed out if we revert to last years style (like we did in the first half against Wexford) Galway I think would ate us without salt. They could rattle in goals and be 10 to 15 point clear at half time. I really hope this doesn't happen because I can't see Galway being naive enough to allow themselves to be hauled back like Wexford were. If Galway get that kind of a lead on us they'll just keep tapping over the scores while were applying pressure and cut loose again if we drop the intensity at all in the second half. This is the worst case scenario and unless Cody plays silly buggers and sends the lads out to rain high ball down on the Galway backs it won't come to pass.

The way we should be playing in the backs is the way we played in the second half with good support play, anticipating your fellow defender is going to get bottled up so be running off his shoulder and give him an early chance to get rid of the ball before he has 3 Galway towers blocking his every turn. Up front I think we need to spread them as wide as possible and isolate their defenders and let in fast, low and diagonal ball on the side favouring the forward. Get possession in hand and then their good enough to take them on and score more than they'd miss. We need to be aware that their two midfielders will sweep in deep around the half back line. In effect their playing exactly like we did when we were in our pomp as they have the big forwards to pull in off. I think from midfield up Galway are very good and really high on confidence. I do think there a bit more suspect at the back if we can spread them out. The spine of their defence is very solid but I don't think they have supporting players of the same calibre of what we used to have, they can be got at but they are very good at supporting each other if you play anyway narrow. Our older forwards have faced this style of play for years in training and know how to beat it. The forwards need to be disciplined and the wing and corner forwards need to push out as far to their respective wings as possible and create space for the midfield and wing backs to run into. Once we start creating overlaps we'll have a great chance but It'll be a hot day and this will require loads of running.

The team I would expect
    Murphy
    Murphy. Walsh. Deegan
    Holden, Buckley, Fogarty
    Leahy, Maher
    Fennelly, Hogan, TJ
    Donnelly, Wally, Aylward

I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Fennelly or Richie not starting after the last day but I think he will start them as they're well used to the physical stuff the Galway backs will bring and when their flagging a bit in the second half you can bring in Mossy, Scanlon, Blanchfield, Sheehan and Kelly if fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Murphy
    Murphy Walsh Deegan
    Delaney Buckley Holden
    Maher Fogerty
    Hogan Tj Leahy
    Alyward Wally Fennelly

That's the team I'd go with as I think it has a good mix of experience and youth as well as lads on form and lads struggling for form who'll hopefully be after improving since the last day. Gearoid McInerney likes to sit deep and will clean up high balls all day, with that being said we could use that to our advantage if we are able to work the ball up through the stages, also as someone noted their misfeild like to sit deep which again could help us if we work the ball up. If we get a good start I think we can win.

I hope our forwards move all over the place and drag them about but I would like to see wally at CF just to match their 6 physically. Colin fennellys best games over the last few years have been at FF but his work rate might be needed more out at wing forward. With Blanch Donnolly sheenan and keoghan as subs our forwards will be under pressure if they start misfiring.

Would like to see Paul Murphy pick up Whelan as I think he has what it takes to stop him physically and also has a raw side to him. As everyone knows canning is their man and how we're going to stop him I don't know, silly frees anywhere around the pitch will be punished and his sidelines are lethal.

As regards the big pitch it will suit them just as much as us. The last day we had a good spell but couldn't get the scores while they got 4/5/6 points when they got on top,we have to take our chances and punish their mistakes. Have a feeling TJ will give a special perfromance as he's the man for the big day and loves croker. If leahy plays he'll either have a stormer or a stinker, there's normally no inbetween with him on big days. Hopefully it's free flowing game and the ref isn't blowing every few minutes.

Lets get behind the team from the start and roar them home on sunday.this team already have shown v dublin and wexford and tipp in the league that they will battle to the last.lets do our part from the stands.also minor match in portlaoise on saturday should be a cracker.best of luck 2 both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Darragh Joyce making his senior debut for St Kilda in ARL at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

What's the story with the minor tickets for tomorrow? Online is gone and super valu don't have them on their system (contrary to what the gaa website says) I presume it will be tickets at the gate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Comerman wrote: »
    What's the story with the minor tickets for tomorrow? Online is gone and super valu don't have them on their system (contrary to what the gaa website says) I presume it will be tickets at the gate then.

I assume it'll be similar to the 21's match in Tullamore. Buy a ticket at the ticket office on the day then walk 20 yards and hand the ticket back to a different guy on the stile!:D

Interesting fact about the starting team for tomorrow, made exclusively of lads up to the age. Wonder has that ever happened before?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

I assume it'll be similar to the 21's match in Tullamore. Buy a ticket at the ticket office on the day then walk 20 yards and hand the ticket back to a different guy on the stile!:D

Interesting fact about the starting team for tomorrow, made exclusively of lads up to the age. Wonder has that ever happened before?

Only 3 of the subs are not up to the age.
    But the reduction of Minor from 18 to 17 was probably always going to lead to this as there is a years less development in them. Look at any of your club under-14s, no matter how good they are and ask how many of them would make a minor panel, let alone a team, in 2020.

The organization in its effort to do whatever they were trying to do has put a lot more pressure on young players to develop quickly. Now in many counties 13 year olds do winter programmes in gyms.

Good luck to all Kilkenny teams out this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Lets get behind the team from the start and roar them home on sunday.this team already have shown v dublin and wexford and tipp in the league that they will battle to the last.lets do our part from the stands.also minor match in portlaoise on saturday should be a cracker.best of luck 2 both teams.

Surprised to see so many people putting Ger Aylward in the starting line-up. He has played very little hurling in the last 2 years. If he is back to his best, he should start but I think he needs a few matches under his belt before he would be considered.

I like ger over scanlon or sheehan because I think he is stronger.he hadnt had a clean run since his bad injury over 2 years ago.also he has divil in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

dubcat51 wrote: »
    I like ger over scanlon or sheehan because I think he is stronger.he hadnt had a clean run since his bad injury over 2 years ago.also he has divil in him.

I don't think he has got any score in his appearances this year. It is difficult to give him a start based on his performances two years ago. As I said, if he is back to his best, he would walk into the team but he hasn't shown that form yet this year

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Kil v Gal E Murphy P Murphy P Walsh P Deegan J Holden C Buckley E Morrissey C Fogarty J MaherM Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward Subs D Brennan C Delaney R Lennon J Cleere C Browne R Hogan C Fennelly L Blanchfield L Scanlon J Donnelly B Sheehan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh P Deegan
    J Holden C Buckley E Morrissey
    C Fogarty J Maher
    M Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy
    B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C Delaney
    R Lennon
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    R Hogan
    C Fennelly
    L Blanchfield
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    B Sheehan
    Interesting team especially with Billy Ryan coming from nowhere to start.

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    C Fogarty J Maher
    B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward

Subs
    D Brennan
    C Delaney
    R Lennon
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    R Hogan
    C Fennelly
    L Blanchfield
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    B Sheehan

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    C Fogarty J Maher
    B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C Delaney
    R Lennon
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    R Hogan
    C Fennelly
    L Blanchfield
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    B Sheehan

Yeah very surprised to see Billy Ryan starting. And surprised not to see Blanchfield start or Scanlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

laneykin wrote: »
    Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    C Fogarty J Maher
    B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C Delaney
    R Lennon
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    R Hogan
    C Fennelly
    L Blanchfield
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    B Sheehan

Yeah very surprised to see Billy Ryan starting. And surprised not to see Blanchfield start or Scanlon.

I'm happy to see Billy ryan there but shocked not to see hogan or colin starting.im very suprised mossy is starting ahead of these 2

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Jesus what did Billy Ryan do in training to earn that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

brookville wrote: »
    I'm happy to see Billy ryan there but shocked not to see hogan or colin starting.im very suprised mossy is starting ahead of these 2

Had heard from a reliable source this afternoon that he was starting which is quite a turn around because a month ago he was all set to quit the panel and head to the States for the summer only to be talked out of it by his father!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement