Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

brookville wrote: »
    I'm happy to see Billy ryan there but shocked not to see hogan or colin starting.im very suprised mossy is starting ahead of these 2

Had heard from a reliable source this afternoon that he was starting which is quite a turn around because a month ago he was all set to quit the panel and head to the States for the summer only to be talked out of it by his father!

his good in the air and has good pace but this is a big ask for him probably see himself and aylward in a 2 man full foward line and we'll try to stop there half back dominating leahy will probably play around mf with hopefully fogarty sitting back helping buckley

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I had heard about Ryan starting, but even taking that into account it's a very interesting front six, Aylward has not been good enough so far this year, but you have to assume everyone there is there on merit, because if it was on reputation Fennelly and Hogan wouldn't be on the bench. Added to Blanch and Donnelly, that's a hell of a group of subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I'm quite pleased he's changed it given the forwards have been quite poor, think blanchfield deserved a start after the impact and against wexford and donnelly given his impact in that game and was good in the u21. Surprised at mossy starting faded out bad since the Waterford game has pressure got to him but still young and a good prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Billy Ryan has leapfrogged Hogan, Fennelly, Blanchfield, Scanlon, Sheehan, Lyng and Martin to make the starting line-up. I can only think that Cody will be telling the forwards to bust a gut for the first half and maybe 10 minutes in the second half. Then bring on Fennelly, Blanchfield and Scanlon to run at tiring Galway defenders. Bring on Richie Hogan and Donnelly to hoover up loose ball and keep the scoreboard ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Bizarre stuff. Conor O Shea comes from nowhere to start against Wexford then gets dropped off the entire panel.

Billy Ryan from nowhere.

Can't keep up.

Not sure why Scanlon has been dropped. Again Richie getting fairly harshly treated in my opinion but **** it let's do it.

Think we'll be beaten as we're just not at Galway level but just hope we give it a good rattle.

• Advertisement

Is richie reid still on the panel does anyone know?he hasn't being on the panel for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Unless we see a drastically improven kk from the round robin, Galway will win this game at a canter. I’m not sure this kk team have the ability to just turn it on. Galway by 6 plus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

What Kilkenny were all associated with was goals, that has dried up now in recent times. Galway will clip points all day- a very slick machine. Kk will need goals and I just don’t see there forwards doing damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Can we really be any worse than the round Robin the only positives were the last 10 minutes against Dublin and 2nd half against wexford which I hope would inject some belief and confidence. The end of the day the pressures on Galway if kilkenny click and go at them they have a chance, Galway are beatable just don't stand and admire them. I'm confident with a bit of luck there could be an upset

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

blackcard wrote: »
    Billy Ryan has leapfrogged Hogan, Fennelly, Blanchfield, Scanlon, Sheehan, Lyng and Martin to make the starting line-up. I can only think that Cody will be telling the forwards to bust a gut for the first half and maybe 10 minutes in the second half. Then bring on Fennelly, Blanchfield and Scanlon to run at tiring Galway defenders. Bring on Richie Hogan and Donnelly to hoover up loose ball and keep the scoreboard ticking.

Bit of a shock to be honest. Billy Ryan really coming from the fringes at best. You would hope ger awlward, mossy and Ryan have been in serious form in training but it's still very surprising hogan, fennelly, blanchfield, Scanlon, Donnelly and Sheehan are all left out. Still, some serious attacking options to come in. It could be a masterstroke if three of the above come in and add to the scoreboard.
    The half forward line of tj, Leahy and mossy need a serious shift to get on top of galways half backs but hopefully it turns in our favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Delighted to see Billy Ryan start. It's a huge game to come into to make his championship debut and is certainly a big ask as he hasn't had much game time in the league and wasn't even featuring on the 26 man panel for the round robin games. He must be going well in training. I hope his good form continues and he gets his confidence up early in the game. He has serious pace and is capable of either creating or finishing goals. I have been impressed with this guy for years and just hope he gets a chance to showcase his talents, we may need to give him time and plenty of patience but think he'll come good. Really looking forward to Sunday, hon the Cats. Best wishes to minors tomorrow too

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Couldnt see the team named on friday before wexford game starting and dont see this one starting eithier.massive fan of awylard and hope he deluvers (if starting)ryan looked the part eatly doors on last years 21s must be doing something right.cody not afraid to mix it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Couldnt see the team named on friday before wexford game starting and dont see this one starting eithier.massive fan of awylard and hope he deluvers (if starting)ryan looked the part eatly doors on last years 21s must be doing something right.cody not afraid to mix it up.

The team named will start

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

I could have predicted 500 teams for this match and would never have gotten that. Absolutely bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Why are people saying Colin and Richie should start?
    They both were impressive players a couple of years back. Richie is former hurler of the year and might have won it twice. Colin was tried a few times s once he came back from the UN but still haven't found his touch. To copperfasen the point both stated the last day and made zero contribution.
    It's good and interesting for the team to get a new face. Finally Cody has proven in the past he knows best.

kk.man wrote: »
    Why are people saying Colin and Richie should start?
    They both were impressive players a couple of years back. Richie is former hurler of the year and might have won it twice. Colin was tried a few times s once he came back from the UN but still haven't found his touch. To copperfasen the point both stated the last day and made zero contribution.
    It's good and interesting for the team to get a new face. Finally Cody has proven in the past he knows best.
    My feelings were i would of started the 2 lads because they had the experience and to be fair I thought hogan was a small bit unlucky to be substituted at half time but colin was stink the last day.I just thought one or the other would of started wing foward but we don't know how training is going or what plan he has for them but cody made the big calls against wexford at half time and it worked,huge calls that only he could do.
    With the heat thats in it teams will tire maybe easier. cody obviously has a job for mossy hopefully we don't go with the same tactics as salthill where route one balls were hovered up by their half back line,The foward subs look good but we look light on subs in defence.im not overly confident but its often times like this we give a good performance.We've looked at the opposition up close a few weeks ago we know what there going to bring to the table hopefully we have our homework done and we bring our biggest game of the year so far to dublin sunday because we'll have to try something different.best of luck to both our teams this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

laneykin wrote: »
    Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh P Deegan
    J Holden C Buckley E Morrissey
    C Fogarty J Maher
    M Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy
    B Ryan W Walsh G Aylward

Subs
    D Brennan
    C Delaney
    R Lennon
    J Cleere
    C Browne
    R Hogan
    C Fennelly
    L Blanchfield
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    B Sheehan

The subs bench has four defenders and six forwards. Any of the six forwards could have started. Only Delaney in defence was challenging for a starting slot in the backs.
    How many of the named 15 will start?
    A couple of very important factors at play on Sunday, 1) the heat and 2) the style of game kk will play.
    With a younger more inexperienced side ( the wings in the forwards) who don’t have the physical strength of Galway you would expect that they would keep the game very open, bring a fast open game, with plenty of off the ball running rather than play Galway at there game of physical hurling. But it’s a sunny day. So that will zap energy. With the youngster on the field the forwards need to do a lot of running, high energy game. Not easy with the heat. But Cody can bring a different edge in the second half, by bringing on experienced subs. Will he finish with his strongest side?

Now the controversial thought. I have this feeling that Hogan, Fennelly, Aylward, K Kelly, Fogarty, Holden, P Murphy are not right, there’s a lack of interest that was there when they were in winning sides. Not seeing the same drive from these as there is from Buckley, TJ and two Walsh’s. Hence Cody has no option but to play the younger lads. It’s as if they know we are not going to win the AI so are not putting it it in. Th3e guys between this year and last should be walking onto the team, pushing, driving even when half fit, but not at all. Yeah some are only coming back. But lads of the past would be killing themselves to get back in, and these are happy enough to put up with being subs. Not seeing the drive....which would have been there in spades in similar players of 5 years ago.

What are you basing this on? When have you "seen" this lack of desire? Because if you're going to accuse lads of not wanting it then you should really back it up rather than just comparing them to the greatest hurling team of all team which just happened to have some of the greatest hurlers of all time in it.

I don't mind lads saying they don't think so and so is playing well or that they're good enough for intercounty hurling but accusing lads of not wanting it smacks of ignorance of what these lads do on a weekly basis in my opinion and you've just levelled it at about 7 hurlers. Jesus you've accused Kelly of it and he's been injured all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Cant agree mercury.I may have a different view to others on any starting 15 but one thing for sure cody wont have anyone
    In the squad who foesnt have the hunger to win.time and time again we have won games through sheer will to win.privelge to atch any kk team under cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Ah here Mercury, I don't think you could be further from the truth. Are some of the above struggling for form no doubt but to accuse them of not "putting it in" and having no drive. I know 1 of the above and hurling consumes his life so I can tell you for a fact your way off the mark.

Hogan been struggling with his back for 2 years or more, if he wasn't bothered he'd have retired long ago. The last day was his first match in over a year and he hit 3 wides (just about by the way)
    Fennelly was away with the army, has very little hurling under his belt and before the Wexford match he'd actually done a lot from the bench scored 0-3 against Dublin off the top of my head.
    Aylward Has pretty much been injured for 2 and half years, yeah he played an odd match here or there but it'll take him a bit of time to get back into the swing of things, give him time. In fairness one thing you can't level at Aylward is a lack of effort, he tries so hard he's been in danger of getting sent off a few days he's tackling so hard.
    K Kelly don't know where this is coming from we haven't seen him all year
    Fogarty has struggled a bit as he has had no solid midfield partner to build a relationship and understanding with like he had with M Fennelly. Hopefully himself and James Maher can build a solid partnership there.
    Holden, P Murphy I'll put the two of these together as I believe their both suffering from the same thing, a lack of belief in themselves. I think it stems from the 2016 AI and the aftermath and also the their positional selection(or lack of selection at all) last year which I think further confused them and lead to their confidence being even lower. I think Holden has shown strongly so far this year and is better on the wing than the FB line. Murphy is the opposite and is better on the FB not on the wing, Murphy like Fennelly has had very little hurling so far this year so I wouldn't be rushing to judge on weather he's driven or not or "putting it in"!

I think you lost the run of yourself in that post but maybe you truely believe it all, if you do I don't know what to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Nobody could see Billy Ryan coming in and starting, he must be flying in training. He was taking off against Waterford in the first half. But when he's on hes hard stopped so hopefully he continues His form from training and gets a nice easy point to start. Be brilliant to see.

Surprised Keoghan is starting, he made an impact against Wexford but it was more of a engery/work rate impact and Foley still went well. I would have preferred him to start on the bench and come on if the game opens up but maybe Cody wants to stay in the game and then bring on the more skillfull forwards to see us home. Risky

What does worry me from the start is our forwards might struggle to score. Ryan on his debut, keoghan not naturally good at taking scores but is capable. Alyward has been struggling but his worrate is very good, has speed and good movement and ger is abit mad the big day might suit him. Leahy wally and tj will need to produce from play and hope hogan fennelly blanch can come on and add to the scoreboard.

Can't wait to see how it all unfolds and the changes Cody makes as the game goes on. Best of luck to the team

I'd happy with the backs and I think we all know what we're going to get from them, we have Conor Delaney and Jason Cleere to come in if anyone is getting skint. It's up front where I think it'll be fascinating to see what approach we adopt. As we all know we'll get hammered out the gate if we try and use the highball into the forwards. The team though suggests we're going to tackle them completely differently.

I think Mossy and Leahy are there as much for their legs as anything else. I think TJ will probably alternate between the wings and not play CF really at all. They should try to isolate TJ and whichever wing back he's on for puckouts. I think Richie or Mossy will go in CF when TJ goes to their wing. Their job will be to try and drag McInerney out of position as much as possible and away from TJ. If he doesn't want to pick them up that leaves a two on one in our favour on the opposite wing to TJ. If McInerney does go with them then TJ has a 1 on 1. I know the Galway midfield will sweep back to help out but our midfield will need to push up an negate them bossing their own half back line. If we play smart ball and spread them out as far as we can all day, I'd like to see Billy Ryan and Aylward within a hurl of the corner flag when waiting for ball. Then play the ball into space in front of them and let them run from the corner collect the ball and head for goal or take your points.

We need to keep their backs as far apart from each other all day. This will require a huge amount of discipline and also running to help tackle their backs when they win the ball. I think with the heat tomorrow the starting forwards will be told to "go out and empty the tank your only playing for 30 to 40 mins anyway". Then we have huge options from the bench Hogan, Fennelly, Donnelly, Blanchfield, Scanlon, Sheehan. They've all had game time this year and will be raring to go off the bench.

Billy Ryan is big, fast, has a good paw and is deadly accurate from all angles when on form. Consistency has been his problem up to now, I'm sure he can keep up his form of recent weeks that has propelled him to the starting lineup. Ger Aylward is the other one that will hopefully produce the goods. His last Leinster final was '15 against Galway when he scored 3 from play and he scored the same against them in the AI that year too. If Ger can get an early score or two it'll be like someone flipping a switch the confidence will come rushing back, then he'll be a real nightmare for any team we play against. We all know he has the talent he's just been missing the self belief up to now and he's been snatching at chances and trying to force them over. Once one or two do go over for him he'll be cured mark my words.

If we play the right way, I do think we can edge it by a few points. If we play the wrong way we could be destroyed. It'll probably be something in between as I said before a 3-4 point loss. Although I'm a lot more excited now that I've seen the team, for me Cody has a plan and he has picked the right lads to execute it properly. Hopefully it goes to plan and doesn't unravel early on by conceding a few early goals.

The team as picked with their opposite number as named

Eoin Murphy

Paul Murphy, Padraig Walsh, Paddy Deegan
    Cathal Mannion, Conor Cooney, Conor Whelan

Joey Holden, Cillian Buckley, Enda Morrissey
    Niall Burke, Joe Canning, Joseph Cooney

Conor Fogarty, James Maher
    David Burke, Johnny Coen

Martin Keoghan, TJ Reid, Richie Leahy
    Aidan Harte, Gearoid McInerney, Padraic Mannion

Billy Ryan, Walter Walsh, Ger Aylward
    John Hanbury, Daithi Burke, Adrian Touhy

James Skehill

Our FB line
    I think Murphy can keep Mannion relatively quite. I think Galway will edge the other two but hopefully not a lot.

Our HB line
    One of Holden or Morrissey will do a job on their opposite man but will they both? Someone has to pick up joe when he drifts out the field.

Our Midfield
    I'd be happy enough with this match up but will our lads have to try and mark Joe Canning too?

Our HF line
    High ball in here will be totally stupid but smart ball and running between these guys and we have a chance

Our FF line
    If on fire (I'm assuming thats why they were picked) then I think this is the line we can do plenty of damage on if we play the right ball into them.

That will require the backs to work with each other to get the ball to a guy who can pick his spot to place it.

24mins Kilkenny 3-6 v Dublin 3-7

30mins Kilkenny 4-7 v Dublin 3-9 -Cathal O'Leary goal Kilkenny 4th goal scorer

HT Kilkenny 4-8 v Dublin 3-10 a great game almost all the scores from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

HT Kilkenny 4-8 v Dublin 3-10 a great game almost all the scores from play.

That's some scoring from both sides. Hardly continue like that. Whoever tightens up, will win

It's 5-10 to 6-11 now crazy stuff

9 down now. There were clear issues in the backs in Parnell Park and they haven't been addressed obviously

• Advertisement

It's 5-10 to 6-11 now crazy stuff

62 minutes 7-12 to 6-19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement