Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Some of the people calling for Cody to go have a few agendas. I see a few who criticise him for not picking X or Y etc. As an example why have Mullinavat produced no county man in last 3 years?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cody isn't going anywhere. The team seriously over achieved this year in getting to the final and performance against Limerick as the best Kilkenny performance in 3-4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Village87 wrote: »
    I was there for it. Just covering over cracks and talking about how great everything is. Cody is holding back Kilkenny hurling imo. Time for a review and not the same moguls calling everything before clubs can get a chance to speak or opposition raise interest in the top job.

Luke 4:24 Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in his hometown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

tibruit wrote: »
    Luke 4:24 Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in his hometown.

It's really unclear whether you think Cody is the prophet here, or Village87!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Some of the people calling for Cody to go have a few agendas. I see a few who criticise him for not picking X or Y etc. As an example why have Mullinavat produced no county man in last 3 years?

Who are you referring to there ? And why pick Mullinavat as an example ?

If Cody's critics can be recognised by their club's failure to get a county spot, then Mooncoin might be just as good an example.

Actually, Mooncoin is an excellent example, taking both their great tradition and their traditional huge ego into it.

Do we know any prominent Mooncoin men with a say in all this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

It's really unclear whether you think Cody is the prophet here, or Village87!

Well it ain`t Village87.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

“Don’t know why you would call hogan a poor keeper, for an inexperienced player most of us in Tipp thought he had a very good year , made some great stops and conceded very little”

Maybe poor wasn’t the best use of words to describe him overall but I do think he was very poor against Wexford so it was a great opportunity for Walter to test him but he declined the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

So havent posted since the other day so first of all well done to both teams for getting to both finals but unfortunately we finish the year with no silverware but if we are to be truthfully honest progress was made we've definitley unearthed some very good players who will represent us into the future.If we were told last january below at the walsh cup match against wexford we would get to a final we would of took your hand off.when we get to the final then we desperately want to win.
    On the senior match while we might never have won the match i think we dint make enough hay while on top in the first 20-25 mins could of possibly had 2 goals and a few points.For whatever reason the wheels completely csme off after the sending i accept tipp were finding their feet before half time but when things opened up in the 2nd half there was only going to be one winner and congrats to them they some great stickmen as we all knew.There form was better and are deserving winners.
    Lads like donnelly and mullen can be proud of their year and lawlor came from no where.He will learn this postion with every game.
    Enda mcevoy had a good piece in the local paper bout in the u20 semi final and both finals last sunday we failed to raise a green flag.We all know goals win matches and unfortuntaley its a long time since we produced a few goal getters i know eoin cody is one that springs to mind but i think this should be a priorty over the next few months.
    I dont think we are as bad as last sunday but we defintley need a fresh approach.Modern thinking and some fresh faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

The_Ghost wrote: »
    “Don’t know why you would call hogan a poor keeper, for an inexperienced player most of us in Tipp thought he had a very good year , made some great stops and conceded very little”

Maybe poor wasn’t the best use of words to describe him overall but I do think he was very poor against Wexford so it was a great opportunity for Walter to test him but he declined the shot.

Who do you think will get the keeper All Star this year lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

Who are you referring to there ? And why pick Mullinavat as an example ?

If Cody's critics can be recognised by their club's failure to get a county spot, then Mooncoin might be just as good an example.

Actually, Mooncoin is an excellent example, taking both their great tradition and their traditional huge ego into it.

Do we know any prominent Mooncoin men with a say in all this ?

Is he well fed ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

The_Ghost wrote: »

Who do you think will get the keeper All Star this year lads?

Between Murphy and Rowland for me, we are blessed to have Murphy and I reckon Darren Brennan with games and experience would be a top keeper as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

JohnCougar wrote: »
    Is he well fed ????

He's definitely not starving anyway.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

The cody must go crew are back .did ye enjoy the summer off .with beating a fancied cork team and a unbeatable limerick team I would imagine ye were nearly hoping things would take a turn.
    The fact is we hurled as good as we have done in years this year with a few new faces.
    Mullen yhoty could be anything
    Donnelly (only a few months older than Mullen)outstanding possible motm nomination in the final 19 possessions and 3 points 4 assists.
    Lawler ever improving and will be a pillar of our defense
    Browne is the new fogarty
    Deegen settled in nicely
    Billy Ryan starter next year
    If we could get Delaney on the field
    James Maher nominated for all star last had tough year with injury
    And more out of leahy
    Throw in eoin cody and possible bill shehan
    That is a massive turnaround of players in a short time.
    Can anyone name a player outside the 40+ lads that are inside that should be starting.
    And we get to a final.
    Talk of modern styles and systems are just that.
    Sweepers make you competitive but we are better than that.
    The give Eddie or Henry the job shouts are premature
    Henry is probably going to dominate our own club championships for the next few years.
    And Eddie will have to back up this years work and a bit more before he is in the running.
    Keep building we are not that faraway.

Between Murphy and Rowland for me, we are blessed to have Murphy and I reckon Darren Brennan with games and experience would be a top keeper as well.

I heard Lar and Mc Grath on today - they picked their Team of the Year for the show on Sports Joe.

Surprise surprise, only 2 KK lads on it - Pádraig Walsh and T.j. Tipp had 7!!!!! Wexford 3, Limerick 2 and Horgan for Cork.

Ironically enough they had a sweeper too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

citykat wrote: »
    I presume you've seen the size of the extended panel and who is on it. Who exactly is missing that would bypass the extended panel, the match day 26 and walk straight into the team?

The above was in response to an earlier post by Village87. I don't expect him to be on Boards constantly but can we have your response when you do come back?

[URL="http://
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/red-card-saga-to-rumble-on-as-kilkenny-set-to-appeal-richie-hogans-allireland-final-dismissal-38424981.html"]http://
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/red-card-saga-to-rumble-on-as-kilkenny-set-to-appeal-richie-hogans-allireland-final-dismissal-38424981.html[/URL]Originally Posted by kilkennyboy View Post
    Having listened to richie's interview and Cody's comments.
    Will he appeal the suspension it seems the obvious thing to do if he feels
    So strongly.
    Their is a cumulative effect with cards .
    And he would miss first championship game next year.
    I think if I was in his boots I would want it resended.

He would be wasting his time appealing I think. There isn't a prayer of it being rescinded

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He's appealing? That's the best bit of news I've heard all week. It means he's staying on next year. Hon the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Field east

brookville wrote: »
    So havent posted since the other day so first of all well done to both teams for getting to both finals but unfortunately we finish the year with no silverware but if we are to be truthfully honest progress was made we've definitley unearthed some very good players who will represent us into the future.If we were told last january below at the walsh cup match against wexford we would get to a final we would of took your hand off.when we get to the final then we desperately want to win.
    On the senior match while we might never have won the match i think we dint make enough hay while on top in the first 20-25 mins could of possibly had 2 goals and a few points.For whatever reason the wheels completely csme off after the sending i accept tipp were finding their feet before half time but when things opened up in the 2nd half there was only going to be one winner and congrats to them they some great stickmen as we all knew.There form was better and are deserving winners.
    Lads like donnelly and mullen can be proud of their year and lawlor came from no where.He will learn this postion with every game.
    Enda mcevoy had a good piece in the local paper bout in the u20 semi final and both finals last sunday we failed to raise a green flag.We all know goals win matches and unfortuntaley its a long time since we produced a few goal getters i know eoin cody is one that springs to mind but i think this should be a priorty over the next few months.
    I dont think we are as bad as last sunday but we defintley need a fresh approach.Modern thinking and some fresh faces.

A lot of contributors here and on other threads are saying that if Kil had converted the one or two goal opportunities which were presented that they would then have had put a very challenging distance between themselves and Tipp. The assumption here is that Tipp would not have woken up/ start to really hurl as a reaction to a Kil goal - if it was scored. We will never know. Like we will never know what the outcome would have been if Hogan did not get red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Looks like longstanding friend of Kilkenny hurling, Frank, has identified an anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

citykat wrote: »
    Looks like longstanding friend of Kilkenny hurling, Frank, has identified an anomaly.

?

Edit: I know you're talking about Frank Murphy. What's it got to do with him

• Advertisement

?

Edit: I know you're talking about Frank Murphy. What's it got to do with him

He is the encyclopedia of hurling rules.if it can be overturned he would know.

The interesting thing will be how they came to their decision.
    Was their influence from a third party.
    Barry Kelly and Brian gavin were interviewed before the match and spoke about how for the first time the ref could communicate with someone upstairs.
    If that is how he came to his decision its will be thrown out straight away..
    Rte have the audio from a documentary they were planning. Will it be used.
    I'm 80% confident it will be rescinded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I heard Lar and Mc Grath on today - they picked their Team of the Year for the show on Sports Joe.

Surprise surprise, only 2 KK lads on it - Pádraig Walsh and T.j. Tipp had 7!!!!! Wexford 3, Limerick 2 and Horgan for Cork.

Ironically enough they had a sweeper too!!!!

Who else from KK would you have on it?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Didn't see the team picked however the only other player I'd consider is Mullen. Don't know who was picked in the corners though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

[quote
    Barry Kelly and Brian gavin were interviewed before the match and spoke about how for the first time the ref could communicate with someone upstairs[/quote]

They said on the TV it was the producers who could hear what they were saying so they could relate it to the commentators

Who else from KK would you have on it?

Eoin Murphy possibly.
    Huw Lawlor possibly - they put Ronan Maher at No. 3.
    Adrian Mullen - for sure...especially if he gets YHOTY.
    John Donnelly possibly
    Fennelly possibly

Point is getting to AIF and getting 2, while the winners get 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Eoin Murphy possibly.
    Huw Lawlor possibly - they put Ronan Maher at No. 3.
    Adrian Mullen - for sure...especially if he gets YHOTY.
    John Donnelly possibly
    Fennelly possibly

Point is getting to AIF and getting 2, while the winners get 7.

Yeah Eoin Muphy possibly but while he's an excellent keeper I can't remember too many great saves this year and his puck outs were poor.

Mullan - Shoe in for young hurler - Barrett won young hurler back in 14? and didn't get an all star. Callanan will be full, Hoggie Corner then plenty will want Gillane or Cornor Mcdonald in the other corner, possibly even Fennelly.

John Donellly - possibly win young hurler? Finished the season well but don't think he featured too much early.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

He's appealing? That's the best bit of news I've heard all week. It means he's staying on next year. Hon the cats.

His interview with Newstalk confirmed that if he is fit he will play on.

However, I must admit, I was shocked at his comments on the extent and severity of his injuries and based on what he said, I don't know how he is even on the panel and you could not be optimistic for him as he painted a desperately bleak backdrop (fervently hope I am wrong and maybe a few days after AI he was feeling sh*t in general about himself and that might have accentuated the bleakness)

He outlined how little training he does and cannot even puck a few balls unless there is a physio nearby
    He says he hasn't a clue from day to day how he will feel, it is totally random.
    But the absolute shocker for me was an admission that he tore a medial ligament in Limerick game and "hadn't trained since then"

This means we may well have started with 3 key players unfit or injured and sorry but that would not be smart and would depress squad members watching them selected.

Hogan is a gem of a hurler and I hope he gets injury free (or even an extended period of injury free), if he does, I have little doubt he can still do serious damage.
    But conversely the KK backroom team have a job to do and to be realistic, if he is crocked, he is crocked and he cannot be gambled on.
    They cannot allow a player's manic desire to somehow keep going if they know in all likelihood it is futile.
    did we learn anything from 2010?

btw
    I think the appealing of the red card is stupid (and almost certainly futile) and will only get us a bad name (there are enough yahoos out there already with daft conspiracy theories that Cody controls refs and officialdom)
    Let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I presume this appeal is not being taken on a whim. The county board obviously feel they have sufficient grounds for appeal and reasonable expectation of winning that appeal. Additionally, you'd imagine this appeal has been approved by Richie. If all the above is the case, the appeal should go ahead. As for what other counties think, I personally couldn't care less.

The People are reporting that there is currently no plan to appeal. No match report received yet so can't appeal until they get that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Anyone know what the story is with McGarry? Is he still involved with the team? Noticed at the homecoming when they thanked all the team and backroom he wasn’t mentioned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement