Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Comerman

blackcard wrote: »
    Tommy was never the fastest and his legs are gone for a few years. A few balls went in his general direction today and the full back was 5 yards ahead of him. But he kept putting his body on the line and ended up scoring 1-2. Scored 4 points in the semi final including a sideline cut. He collapsed onto the ground after the full time whistle today and started hitting the ground in ecstasy. Proceeded to hug about a hundred people including the referee. A true legend and my all time favourite player
    I was privileged to be there with my son to see it, some man and a hape of Walsh's lining up behind him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Is peter walsh a cousin?he had a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

When was the last time Thomastown were Senior?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭droppingball

When was the last time Thomastown were Senior?

Won intermediate in 83, lost senior final 88 and relegated couple of years after, lost 93 intermediate final in 93 and yesterday was first since but have been junior twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Joe Henry

Was that cheddar plunket a backs coach with the village he seem to be with the backs in either half, it was funny watching him the village manager used to have to go down to him when making a change. I also thought it was bad out of the village they didnt wait until the presentation to tullaroon was over to come out on to the field for there warm up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Shamrocks have managed their season very well in terms of peaking at the right time. No club team in Kilkenny would have got within 6 points of them yesterday and it's hard to see them stopped on the way to another All Ireland club title.

Thomastown did a lot wrong yesterday, missed a few handy frees in the first half which would have kept things closer. In the second half their defence just couldn't work the ball out from the back properly, made countless errors and ultimately gifted plenty of scores to Tullaroan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If Cuala get Con fit they'll give Shamrocks enough of it

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Went down yesterday to support the village but it was men against boys.alot of village youngsters need to hit tjs gym.difference in size of evan shefglin adrian mullen young cody to cian kenny guilfoyke and brassil.will be a tasty game if shamricks meet cuala but I cant see anyone beating this shamrock team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭big_drive

If Cuala get Con fit they'll give Shamrocks enough of it

Potentially a brilliant contest. I’d nearly lean towards Cuala, shamrocks are on the go a long few months plus the county lads had a long season.

Leinster is the danger I think, if they get past that the Xmas break will help and I think they’d win the All Ireland from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Joe Henry

A couple of matches will have to be played won before Cuala come on the scene, is the all Ireland club championship been played off in January from next year2020 or is it still pencilled in for st patricks day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »
    Congratulations to both winners today.Thomastown have a young team and their day should come.Tullaron full back line deserve credit nullifying thomastown full foward line.Its great for tommy to get them back up.Wouldnt it be great to see him back in croker with tullaron.maybe the underdogs tag suited them but goals win matches.Davey buggy was a good influence this year I was told.Thomastown can have no real complaints.
    The second match failed to really get going.Ballyhale could of won by alot more.Its a joy watching them in full flow.Theres no one greedy looking for their own scores always played to a lad is in a better position.Richie Reid will be a loss for them in the club but they have a good panel.its a credit to management had the shamrocks so fresh looking.they also got it tactically right colin out around the half foward line.Cuala v shamrocks would be a good leinster final.
    Finally near ten thousand today was a very healthy crowd.Nearly double than different counties attendance.They got it spot on with the pricing so the county board deserves credit for that.

Almost 10, 000 - helps when intermediate and senior finals are on together. Brings the crowd in as well as price and the good weather!!!

Joe Henry wrote: »
    A couple of matches will have to be played won before Cuala come on the scene, is the all Ireland club championship been played off in January from next year2020 or is it still pencilled in for st patricks day.

Leinster Senior Club Final is on Sunday 1st December so All Ireland could be finished up before Christmas.

If Ballyhale win, no real rest for T.J., Colin and the lads before the national league starts....a few years in a row, without a break, would be tough on them - physically and mentally.

Cuala will be a great match if they both make it to the final. It's nearly week on week action now. Last thing you need is a draw!!

All Stars on this Friday night.

T.J. nailed on and a real good chance for Pádraig Walsh. It'd be a great way to round off a super week for the pair of them.

Colin has a chance but will find it hard I reckon with Gillane, Seamie C and Pat Horgan in that line.

Adrian Mullan mightn't get All Star but should be a cert for YPOTY. Would also cap off a great year for the young lad.

I would really like T.J. to get POTY but Callinan will edge it. I think T.J. would have deserved it over this past few years as he was unreal - in league and championship and he carried KK for a while - at a different level.

Best wishes to all KK nominees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

All Stars on this Friday night.

T.J. nailed on and a real good chance for Pádraig Walsh. It'd be a great way to round off a super week for the pair of them.

Colin has a chance but will find it hard I reckon with Gillane, Seamie C and Pat Horgan in that line.

Adrian Mullan mightn't get All Star but should be a cert for YPOTY. Would also cap off a great year for the young lad.

I would really like T.J. to get POTY but Callinan will edge it. I think T.J. would have deserved it over this past few years as he was unreal - in league and championship and he carried KK for a while - at a different level.

Best wishes to all KK nominees!

Just on Mullen, he mightn't be as nailed-on as you think. Rory O'Connor will push him hard for YPOTY, particularly after getting man of the match in the Leinster final.

Richie reid gave one of his best performances yesterday it's a pity he will miss the next 6 months.I know he got a few chances but he was thrown around a bit.Darren mullen and evan shefflin should see league time next year.Mullen is very intelligent and reads the game very well.Eoin cody will probably need to fill out a bit.
    I heard a few lads got phone calls at the weekend about not in the plans for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭conor05

Richie reid gave one of his best performances yesterday it's a pity he will miss the next 6 months.I know he got a few chances but he was thrown around a bit.Darren mullen and evan shefflin should see league time next year.Mullen is very intelligent and reads the game very well.Eoin cody will probably need to fill out a bit.
    I heard a few lads got phone calls at the weekend about not in the plans for next year.

Any idea who were deemed surplus to requirements for next year?

Looking at yesterday, you could play half of that Ballyhale team for Kilkenny they are awesome.

They are just so committed to the cause in Ballyhale. They want it more than any other club I’ve witnessed, if hurling is a religion in Kilkenny it’s a double religion in Ballyhale.

Anybody have any dates for the Walsh Cup ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

they had over 20 (? if I remember right) subs/panel members listed for the final.

That's a lot of surplus .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭blackcard

Leinster Senior Club Final is on Sunday 1st December so All Ireland could be finished up before Christmas.

If Ballyhale win, no real rest for T.J., Colin and the lads before the national league starts....a few years in a row, without a break, would be tough on them - physically and mentally.

Cuala will be a great match if they both make it to the final. It's nearly week on week action now. Last thing you need is a draw!!

The All Ireland club semi finals and final are to take place in January. I think that Ballyhale and Tullaroan players should be given a break whenever they exit the club championships. The exceptions to this should be Tommy Walsh and Darren Mullen who should be given a good run in the league. I would like to see Billy Ryan, Richie Leahy, James Maher, Conor Browne, Jason Cleere and Liam Blanchfield be given an extended run in the league.
    Looking ahead, I would see our championship side looking something like this.
    E Murphy
    A. N. Other
    H Lawlor
    T Walsh
    P Walsh
    C Delaney
    P Deegan
    A N Other
    A N Other
    TJ
    A Mullen
    C Fennelly
    J Donnelly
    B Ryan
    A N Other

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Really hope richie is fully fit this year and comes roaring back

• Advertisement

Anybody know is there a new Kilkenny jersey coming out this season?
    Saw 1/2 price current ones in sports shop recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

New one coming yea. Hopefully a better effort than the current one. Will imagine it'll have a white round collar like the rest of the O Neill efforts lately. Not sure what else they can do with the stripes. Just get rid of that stupid black across the shoulder please

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

New one coming yea. Hopefully a better effort than the current one. Will imagine it'll have a white round collar like the rest of the O Neill efforts lately. Not sure what else they can do with the stripes. Just get rid of that stupid black across the shoulder please

The world of Irish Gaa jerseys...badly needs the likes of Nike and Adidas....Canterbury to challenge the status quo.

It'll probably be out for the Christmas market. My lad has an O'Neills voucher so he's holding it until the new one comes out.

Offaly released a new one a few weeks ago. Yeah, hard to beat the black and amber stripes but no doubt, there'll be some modern twist on it.

Counties are bringing out new jerseys every 2 years nowadays - it seems it's only out and then there's a new one. You always know who has a new one coming out as the 'old' ones are 50% off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

BloodyBill wrote: »
    The world of Irish Gaa jerseys...badly needs the likes of Nike and Adidas....Canterbury to challenge the status quo.

Afaik, the jerseys have to be an Irish supplier.
    But it’s absolute b****x bringing out a new one. They’re turning like the premier league now!!

greenspurs wrote: »
    they had over 20 (? if I remember right) subs/panel members listed for the final.

That's a lot of surplus .

A few fringe players anyway.It wouldn't be appropriate to post names without being positive but definitely there was a few lads dissapointed last weekend.
    He brought in a lot of lads over the last 2 or 3 years so I suspect he will work off mostly that squad with a few additions.Peter walsh racked up big scores as did his namesake shane.Mossys form has gone back after a bright start.James bergin from conahy was making the dcu team last year and is definitely worth a look.Mick malone had a very solid campaign for the vat men while aidan nolan done some good things for the boro in attack.Luke scanlon never really came back right from injury this year.darren mullen and evan shefflin look very good but theres an awful difference between club and county as we know but be no harm trying new lads.We really need to get a bit of pace into our team and we definitely need a goalscoring foward or two!!
    We need lads like blanchfield who has being there a few years to really step up and nail down a place.Leahy to add consistency to his game.John donnelly and mullen to stay improving.delaney should nail down a spot and hopefully Buckley can get back to full fitness and richie can give it one last push.
    Kevin kelly getting an operation this winter but has being crippled by injury since 2016 club run I'd say he will do well to stay on the panel.it has to be make or break with some lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

All Star Hurling Team 2019
    1 Brian Hogan (Tipperary)
    2 Seán Finn (Limerick)
    3 Ronan Maher (Tipperary)
    4 Cathal Barrett (Tipperary)
    5 Brendan Maher (Tipperary)
    6 Pádraig Walsh (Kilkenny)
    7 Pádraic Maher (Tipperary)
    8 Noel McGrath (Tipperary)
    9 Diarmuid O’Keeffe (Wexford)
    10 Lee Chin (Wexford)
    11 TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    12 Colin Fennelly (Kilkenny)
    13 Aaron Gillane (Limerick)
    14 Séamus Callanan (Tipperary)
    15 Patrick Horgan (Cork)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭conor05

greenspurs wrote: »
    All Star Hurling Team 2019
    1 Brian Hogan (Tipperary)
    2 Seán Finn (Limerick)
    3 Ronan Maher (Tipperary)
    4 Cathal Barrett (Tipperary)
    5 Brendan Maher (Tipperary)
    6 Pádraig Walsh (Kilkenny)
    7 Pádraic Maher (Tipperary)
    8 Noel McGrath (Tipperary)
    9 Diarmuid O’Keeffe (Wexford)
    10 Lee Chin (Wexford)
    11 TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    12 Colin Fennelly (Kilkenny)
    13 Aaron Gillane (Limerick)
    14 Séamus Callanan (Tipperary)
    15 Patrick Horgan (Cork)

Fair enough selection, with Rory O Connor and Adrian Mullen both left out (as both were far better than Colin Fennelly) ’d imagine it’s between them two for YHOTY. Kyle Hayes wasn’t as prominent as them two in my eyes.

I thought there might be a case for Joey Holden or Liam Ryan Wexford in full back line.

Would of liked to have seen enda Rowland get goalie.I dont think scruff was as good this year.Colin had his best year club and county for a long time I'm happy he is rewarded.Adrian after being substituted against galway in the park really blossomed until sickness before the final.Id be surprised if he doesn't get young hurler.Well done to everyone.
    When are the 4 teams going to that Fenway thing?some time in November it's only for a few days I wonder will the shamrocks and tullaron lads be able to go with club action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Unless tullaroan or ballyhale are beaten neither will be sending players to Fenway. Both are down to play leinster simi on 16th and 17th same weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement