Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Leinster final in thurles what a joke.gaa really need to get a grip.first kildare situation now michael buble means were in thurles.gaa people need to rlse up and put a stop to this.should of had buble on midweek if they want a concert.re plays should be factored in.

I say Galway wouldn't be happy playing in thurles , I wouldn't be to put out about it look at all the matches we have done well there big wide open pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Neither side will be happy with the draw but it'll hurt Galway more than it will Kilkenny. They're All Ireland champions and in their own minds would have thought they were past the days of draws and replays against, what is in reality, a depleted Kk side.

Thought the backs played well enough but poor shooting up front let us down. At the same time it was heartening to see us create so many chances, even if we did squander them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

It was great to see Kilkenny fielding brilliantly today a real throw back to the noughties. I thought Cody would have taken in hogan and fennelly much earlier. Problem for the loser is that limerick are up the week after- extra time today should have been played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

John Donnelly did very well when he came on Ritchie worked his head well with pases general play.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Really pleased with the effort today. Should have had a lot more scores in the 1st half but these things happen. A lot is being made of kilkennys inability to score from play but if you look at wexford and galway their backs will not Leahy you pass and use the hurl or arm around the neck to give the free as opposed to letting the man through. We are guilty at times of this too but not nearly to the extent of galway and wexford.
    Billy Ryan impressive today with his ability to come onto low ball. His striking and point taking will improve with experience. Donnelly and hogan made impressions when coming in.
    Leahy outfielded a number of times. He needs lower ball especially against the height of galways half backs. Maher very impressive too. Backs strong.
    All in all a lot to build from.
    Probably see hogan starting next Sunday.
    Walter found it tough today.
    Sublime score from tj to level it.
    Game is there for the taking next Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Sould have been xtra time with croker not available next weekend.but the gaa are money mad.alot of fat cats to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I really want Aylward to find his 2015 form but he's not finding it and how he was left on for 55 minutes with Richie sitting on the bench is beyond me. Especially with how quick Cody pulled Richie against Wexford.

Happy the style of play is generally back from the league

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Leinster final in thurles what a joke.gaa really need to get a grip.first kildare situation now michael buble means were in thurles.gaa people need to rlse up and put a stop to this.should of had buble on midweek if they want a concert.re plays should be factored in.
    WE should insist it's played at a Leinster venue. We have now a Connaght team playing in a Leinster final at a Munster venue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

kk.man wrote: »
    Leinster final in thurles what a joke.gaa really need to get  a grip.first kildare situation now michael buble means were in thurles.gaa people need to rlse up and put a stop to this.should of had buble on midweek if they want a concert.re plays should be factored in.
    WE should insist it's played at a Leinster venue. We have now a Connaght team playing in a Leinster final at a Munster venue...
    Thats called cutting off your nose to spite your face. Thurles is only out the road for Kilkenny people. It's a handier venue and better pitch than either Tullamore or Portlaoise. Good call from the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

After all the excitement today....

Darragh Joyce made his debut in OZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

kk.man wrote: »

The GAA are taking the Mick.

The Leinster Final being played in Munster.

Will we soon see the Munster Final being played in Leinster.

The GAA management have some neck.

Time to start staying away to highlight their total disregard to the Leinster Championship Final teams and both sets of supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Time to start staying away to highlight their total disregard to the Leinster Championship Final teams and both sets of supporters.

You need to settle down. There's is clearly the most appropriate venue. Who cares if it is in Tipperary or Munster. Big deal.

Best surface, easy access for both counties, can take a large attendance, experience hosting big games ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

While I agree with you the pitch looked in an awful state today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

unfortunately every bit of grass field with the exception of croke park is dying with the drought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

They would not allow Waterford to play their home matches in Nowlan Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like Thurles were the first place in Ireland to implement the hose pipe ban.
    Where was the Comogie played? Gibraltar?? Not a splash of green to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

piuswal wrote: »
    They would not allow Waterford to play their home matches in Nowlan Park!

I assume that was the Munster council? Leinster more open minded lol....Well we do have a connaught team in the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Out of curiosity, what condition is in Nowlan Park in (if anyone has seen it lately)? Usually it's in amazing condition

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Defence outstanding today. We are just a horrible team to play against. Cynical, physical
    And just willing to chase and Harry all day.
    If we could get 2 of the subs to step it up in the forwards.
    The impossible is possible. No doubt if it went on another minute we would have got over the line.
    Galway will be better next week
    But we can improve also

So now that the dust has settled on yesterday what do we think?we had a great chance to catch the tribesmen yesterday and we could of being more ahead at half time but maybe on the balance a draw was the fairest result the wides count were fairly even we probably would of taken a draw this time yesterday.
    Our midfielders and half fowards dropped back to help out our backs fogarty was dropping back to the half back line and buckley stood back and picked up a lot of breaking ball and his distribution was better.Paul murphy had his best game in a few years and some of padraigs catches in the first half were unbelievable.
    It must be said that there was 6 lads making their croker debut yesterday and they all done well so hopefully this will benefit us in the longer run.Joey who gets a lot of stick done very well and is probably suited to the wing knowing he has a bit of protection behind him.Billy ryan offered something different and could of had another 3 points but i thought aylward while not back to his old form he worked like a dog and made it hard for defenders when he hadnt the ball.Donnelly got a great score and made tjs last score.
    Hopefully yesterdays appearance will bring on hogan his vision for morrisseys pass was brillant and fair play to enda for taking it on.Mossy ran himself into the ground but id nearly start fennelly the next day out on the wing.
    This game should bring on galway but hopefully it will bring us on aswell and give the lads the confidence to kick on next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Hats off to Kilkenny, the greatest team to ever play the game, showed Galway that they will always fight to the bitter death, no matter how good or bad their team is. Yesterday was a lesson for Galway, there is no doubt that some of their players were beginning to believe the hype and rubbish been bandied about by the national press, in that Galway only had to turn up on Sunday to win, and that they might as well just hand Liam back to Galway, as there was nobody out there to touch them. Even David Burke who should have known better, got in on the act, mouthing off that Kilkenny were afraid of Galway. Well he got his answer yesterday, Kilkenny are afraid of nobody, and in particular Galway. However I do believe that Galway have more room to improve than Kilkenny, and yesterday should be the kick up the backside that they badly needed. Next Sunday will tell a lot, have Galway the same drive and resolve that they had in spades last season, or are they happy enough with their one All Ireland? For the losers next Sunday, they then face the daunting task of taking on Limerick the following week, so next Sunday will be season defining for both Galway and Kilkenny.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

The few of us that were actually confident of victory over Galway yesterday are actually disappointed somewhat today. From talking and listening to people, we are a small group. The current Kilkenny are still not as good as past Kilkenny squads but remember we are still in bonus territory for 2018, yesterday was another bonus which confidence benefits all round.

The comparison between the current Galway team and Kilkenny in their “pomp”, the term media enjoys using, is way off the mark. However, Galway still have a chance to reignite those headlines if they can win the replay, albeit still way off the mark in my opinion. Kilkenny in their “pomp” never lost replays. So it is ultra-important for Galway to win this game in terms of their legacy. In the bigger picture, Galway are under more pressure to deliver. Galway are playing a developing Kilkenny squad who had six Croke Park championship debutants playing. A fresh squad like Kilkenny’s will always struggle with consistency and patience is required, but they are inside the Galway heads already. Listen to the talk, Galway have the most room to improve. Does that make sense? Does that mean this developing Kilkenny squad have reached their peak and very little room for improvement?? Where’s the logic? In my mind there is way more improvement in Kilkenny, now the only question is whether it will come quick enough. I think it can. It is probably the quickest re-invention ever of a senior county team.

Let’s get the subject of Thurles out of the way fast. Although I like the idea of the craic and banter of a “Nowlan Park or Nowhere” campaign. Thurles is fine. Forget Michael Bubbly, what’s done is done and we don’t need it to derail hurling in either Kilkenny or Galway. Thurles is normally a good sod, but unfortunately, weather conditions will mean it will not be this time, but not many places will be by next weekend. The pitch size is bigger than Croke Park, so will allow a small bit more extra room for our new game. It is well located for both. Certainly for people in the South and West of the county, it is a way better option than Tullamore or Portlaoise. For those whinging about being outside Leinster, you are obviously very young. In 2002, both Leinster semi-finals were played in Thurles due to redevelopment at Croke Park, so there is precedent. It didn’t do us any harm in 2002!

My namesake, Hawkeye. Fergal Horgan made many questionable decisions yesterday but his worst was calling on Hawkeye for the ball Eoin Murphy “stopped” going over the bar. Firstly, the umpire was correct, the ball was over the bar as it happens. Horgan however should not have called on Hawkeye giving the impression that there is goal line technology in the GAA. There is not! Hawkeye can only tell if the ball goes between the posts, not over the line or over the bar. In this case it was almost dead centre as Hawkeye showed on the big screen. The answer was never going to be Nil, whether it did or did not go over the bar. It is a concern because it questions Horgans understanding of Hawkeye and the technology. He has misled the public and I’m surprised it hasn’t been picked up on by the national media. Probably waiting for some forum post to jog the minds.

If the seniors are struggling to score goals, the minors are certainly not. However the minors are struggling to defend. Saturday’s game was the first game to really highlight the anecdotal stuff heard from lads involved in development squads, that the coming generation of Kilkenny hurlers are mainly talented forwards and good backs are very hard to find and goalkeepers are impossible to find. A real contrast to what was seen yesterday in the senior, but anyone who paid attention to the mini games yesterday or the last day against Wexford would have seen some phenomenal forward skills from some of the primary school children. The skill levels are fantastic, but as we all know now skill alone is not enough.

I think many would have got an idea yesterday why Padraig Walsh was persisted with at full back. Why Joey Holden should have not been tarnished as badly as he was by Kilkenny supporters after 2016. Why Eoin Murphy is the number one goalkeeper in the country. Why TJ Reid is up there with Carey and Shefflin. Why we should trust the young players coming through the system when they get more experience and more consistency. Why James Meagher’s injury in 2017 resulted in a huge loss to Kilkenny. Why the current management team is probably the best ever. Why Kilkenny will always scare the opposition when they score the last three points to come back from what some may have perceived pending defeat. And I wouldn’t be “surprised” to see another “surprise” selection for next Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    The few of us that were actually confident of victory over Galway yesterday are actually disappointed somewhat today. From talking and listening to people, we are a small group. The current Kilkenny are still not as good as past Kilkenny squads but remember we are still in bonus territory for 2018, yesterday was another bonus which confidence benefits all round.

The comparison between the current Galway team and Kilkenny in their “pomp”, the term media enjoys using, is way off the mark. However, Galway still have a chance to reignite those headlines if they can win the replay, albeit still way off the mark in my opinion. Kilkenny in their “pomp” never lost replays. So it is ultra-important for Galway to win this game in terms of their legacy. In the bigger picture, Galway are under more pressure to deliver. Galway are playing a developing Kilkenny squad who had six Croke Park championship debutants playing. A fresh squad like Kilkenny’s will always struggle with consistency and patience is required, but they are inside the Galway heads already. Listen to the talk, Galway have the most room to improve. Does that make sense? Does that mean this developing Kilkenny squad have reached their peak and very little room for improvement?? Where’s the logic? In my mind there is way more improvement in Kilkenny, now the only question is whether it will come quick enough. I think it can. It is probably the quickest re-invention ever of a senior county team.

Let’s get the subject of Thurles out of the way fast. Although I like the idea of the craic and banter of a “Nowlan Park or Nowhere” campaign. Thurles is fine. Forget Michael Bubbly, what’s done is done and we don’t need it to derail hurling in either Kilkenny or Galway. Thurles is normally a good sod, but unfortunately, weather conditions will mean it will not be this time, but not many places will be by next weekend. The pitch size is bigger than Croke Park, so will allow a small bit more extra room for our new game. It is well located for both. Certainly for people in the South and West of the county, it is a way better option than Tullamore or Portlaoise. For those whinging about being outside Leinster, you are obviously very young. In 2002, both Leinster semi-finals were played in Thurles due to redevelopment at Croke Park, so there is precedent. It didn’t do us any harm in 2002!

My namesake, Hawkeye. Fergal Horgan made many questionable decisions yesterday but his worst was calling on Hawkeye for the ball Eoin Murphy “stopped” going over the bar. Firstly, the umpire was correct, the ball was over the bar as it happens. Horgan however should not have called on Hawkeye giving the impression that there is goal line technology in the GAA. There is not! Hawkeye can only tell if the ball goes between the posts, not over the line or over the bar. In this case it was almost dead centre as Hawkeye showed on the big screen. The answer was never going to be Nil, whether it did or did not go over the bar. It is a concern because it questions Horgans understanding of Hawkeye and the technology. He has misled the public and I’m surprised it hasn’t been picked up on by the national media. Probably waiting for some forum post to jog the minds.

If the seniors are struggling to score goals, the minors are certainly not. However the minors are struggling to defend. Saturday’s game was the first game to really highlight the anecdotal stuff heard from lads involved in development squads, that the coming generation of Kilkenny hurlers are mainly talented forwards and good backs are very hard to find and goalkeepers are impossible to find. A real contrast to what was seen yesterday in the senior, but anyone who paid attention to the mini games yesterday or the last day against Wexford would have seen some phenomenal forward skills from some of the primary school children. The skill levels are fantastic, but as we all know now skill alone is not enough.

I think many would have got an idea yesterday why Padraig Walsh was persisted with at full back. Why Joey Holden should have not been tarnished as badly as he was by Kilkenny supporters after 2016. Why Eoin Murphy is the number one goalkeeper in the country. Why TJ Reid is up there with Carey and Shefflin. Why we should trust the young players coming through the system when they get more experience and more consistency. Why James Meagher’s injury in 2017 resulted in a huge loss to Kilkenny. Why the current management team is probably the best ever. Why Kilkenny will always scare the opposition when they score the last three points to come back from what some may have perceived pending defeat. And I wouldn’t be “surprised” to see another “surprise” selection for next Sunday.

Excellent post. And that's coming from a Galway man.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Good performance against the team that everyone is picking to win the all Ireland and we properly could have sneaked it in the end. 1-7 were brilliant especially Walsh and Buckley. I was one of the many to doubt Walsh at FB but yesterday showed he is in fact well able to play the position as well as anybody. Great to see the fielding by some of the backs.

Maher very good again, he's having a great year. Fogerty would annoy you at times but he is well needed in there as he's always battling and does it better than most. Keoghan is a Terrior and gives his all, Leahy struggled with his striking unlike him, one poster said he needs low ball which would suit him more but he has good hand but yesterday he got a lesson under the high ball his marker was always at him making sure he couldn't catch the ball and it got to him. I thought Ger did alright his workrate is very good(as is everybody's) and he has good movement. Hogan looked sharper and caused McInereny problems as he drops off and I'd like to see hogan start at 11 next week.
    Donnolly impressive off the bench again, love to look at him in the warm up his touch and wristiness is something else also well done Billy Ryan out in front every time and showed some great skill.
    Next week I wonder will management start with the youth and bring on lads like fennelly again or will he start those lads and bring on the younger lads.
    Cody normally gets it right in replays and I think he will get it right again, one thing we've to be careful about is frees, Joe missed more than he scored yesterday which properly Won't happen again. Also TJ great again, best hurler in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Will the game be live on rte? I don't see it advertised on Sky TV guide.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Will the game be live on rte? I don't see it advertised on Sky TV guide.
    think the sunday game said its in rte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Game is live on TV & Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

9 down now. There were clear issues in the backs in Parnell Park and they haven't been addressed obviously

I was disappointed with the managerial team. The big difference between the teams was the Dublin full forward Swan who scored 3 goals when the teams met previously and scored another 3-1 in this match. KK were unable for his strength and power (I thought he was allowed take a lot of steps too but so were our lads). We allowed our full back to be isolated against him. It was evident in the second half that any time the ball went in that it was going to be either a goal or a free. It was crying out for him to be double marked. We have some nice hurlers but need a couple of backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

If the ball goes between the posts, then automatically it is over the bar. Horgan was well within his rights to consult Hawkeye for clarification, use it when it's there. The people manning Hawkeye message the ref. is a call needs to be made with it anyway AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think the effort produced by this team throughout the league and championship has been outstanding. Whatever happens in the remainder of the year, the two victories over our good neighbours in Tipp, the victories over Wexford and the draw against Galway have given us memorable days.
    I thought all our backs played well. Delighted for Joey Holden. Paul Murphy had his best game in a while. Enda Morrissey apart from one handpass was sound and his point was vital.
    I think we will start with a similar team the next day with maybe one change. I thought the forwards put in a huge shift and I would expect us to bring in 4 subs in the forwards. Billy Ryan and Ger Aylward were obviously impressing in training. Ger Aylward has done very little hurling in the last two years but worked hard. I thought it was interesting to see the order that the subs came in with Blanchfield, then Donnelly, Hogan and Fennelly. You would say that this is based on what Cody is seeing in training. Richie has very little hurling done so I wouldn't be expecting him to start.
    It was pleasing to see that KK tried to make good use of the ball, runners taking short handpasses and ball being played into good areas in the first half. It was inevitable that we would revert to long balls as players tired on a hot day.
    You would have to think that Galway will improve a lot, on a number of occasions one good pass would have seen them in for a goal and you wouldn't expect Canning to play so poorly again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement