Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2784

Brief report from tonights Bord na n AGM there. Can anyone explain the logic of having U13s playing on a full size pitch? Imagine a 12/13 year old trying to play in goal. All it does is tilt the game in favour of the big lad who can cover the ground even more than it does already.

I assumed all u13s played big goals, didn’t realise it wasn’t the case

In Cork we only play the small goals till u12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

When it was U14 it was big goals but when the age groups changed to U13 they kept the small goals with a size 4 ball like the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

U13 not currently playing on a full size pitch. The proposal to go full pitch was made last night. This isn’t ratified yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Great win for gortha and company today with a very convincing win over high flying shamrocks.O loughlins have a great panel and some impressive subs which shows the strength they have.The junior this year was a great stepping stone with most getting game time.
    They really have some great talent on the way and really learnt from last years u21 defeat.They got in the faces of adrian mullen and eoin cody and really nullified the shamrocks.Darren mullen was very good.For o loughlins mikey butler is a good bit of stuff and jordon molloy impressive.Conor kelly who was a great minor is filling out and I'm looking foward to seeing him next year u20 for the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

brookville wrote: »
    Great win for gortha and company today with a very convincing win over high flying shamrocks.O loughlins have a great panel and some impressive subs which shows the strength they have.The junior this year was a great stepping stone with most getting game time.
    They really have some great talent on the way and really learnt from last years u21 defeat.They got in the faces of adrian mullen and eoin cody and really nullified the shamrocks.Darren mullen was very good.For o loughlins mikey butler is a good bit of stuff and jordon molloy impressive.Conor kelly who was a great minor is filling out and I'm looking foward to seeing him next year u20 for the county.

I think Darren Mullen will push Paul Murphy, Joey and Conor’s Fogarty very hard for a starting spot with KK this year. Very tidy defender

• Advertisement

Yea darren is a stylish hurler with a good hurling brain.I think he will be close to starting next year especially with the club scene finishing early he should see league time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Conor kelly who was a great minor is filling out and I'm looking foward to seeing him next year u20 for the county.
    And couldn't get a game for Kierans last year. The amount of really good hurlers sitting on their hands and not getting to play schools hurling there is disappointing. I don't know how you fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

There was a large panel carried for the last few years and alot of youth blooded I'd say we will mostly work off the same panel with a few new additions from this years u20 team.david blanchfield,mikey butler and eoin cody impressed at different times this year.Training for next year has resumed we have being told a few fringe players have being dropped along with rob Lennon and tom aylward.Joe lyng had a solid club championship for the rower and is back from travelling I wonder will he make himself available? we will might see james bergin and shane walsh drafted in when the club finishes while mossy has being in good form before injury.We should also see more of the shamrocks players next spring but they have alot of hurling done over the last few years.

And more. I'm quite optimistic about the future. Getting to 7 finals in a row & 11 in 12 years was and never will be the norm. A freak of timing of births, genetics, and that manager guy they have. KK's hurling obsession has also likely allowed some of these guys to develop, get help when needed, and to stay focused and hungry which probably kept a few lads who may have drifted away during those 18-21 years when the future isn't always priority & consequences ...well, I think we all know.
    So, I'm optimistic. was thrilled & proud last years squad exceeded all expectations. We'll see. There's some amazing club hurling happening. Now to see who can do it on the big stage. I've been impressed by Brian Cody & the Mullen brother w/the colored helmet. I forget if it's Patty or Darren, It's not 5:30 am yet. Among others. Bring on spring. ...fxxx, it's not even winter yet. :-(

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

Very interesting article in the Sunday Independent at weekend about the Star hurls. Finishing up at Xmas after years in their current location and moving to a new set up some place a few miles outside the city i think it said.
    There wouldn't be many of them in use down here in Cork but beautiful sticks any that i've seen. Their hurleys have won some amount of All Ireland medals i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

Any changes on the county board set up after last night's convention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

big_drive wrote: »
    Very interesting article in the Sunday Independent at weekend about the Star hurls. Finishing up at Xmas after years in their current location and moving to a new set up some place a few miles outside the city i think it said.
    There wouldn't be many of them in use down here in Cork but beautiful sticks any that i've seen. Their hurleys have won some amount of All Ireland medals i'd say

Can you post the article? If you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Can you post the article? If you have it.

Here you go

I know mick fennelly is tall but 36.75“ hurley is a fair length to be using these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

I used a 37 up to about 5 years ago. I'm 5 11'

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

big_drive wrote: »
    I know mick fennelly is tall but 36.75“ hurley is a fair length to be using these days

Does seem heavy. Remember reading Shefflin loved a big heavy 37 inch hurl too.

Everyone is different.

thesultan wrote: »
    I used a 37 up to about 5 years ago. I'm 5 11'

Rare definitely to see a 37” these days

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

And couldn't get a game for Kierans last year. The amount of really good hurlers sitting on their hands and not getting to play schools hurling there is disappointing. I don't know how you fix it.

Just don't send your kids to kierans would be my fix for that one.

It's hard to believe our first senior match of the year is a few short weeks away.We are down to play wexford on the 12th of January at home presumably nowlan park.The last couple of walsh cup meetings have attracted large crowds and we have built up a healthy rivalry.Although it's only a walsh cup match both teams will want to win.Hopefully our young lads can stay progressing and it's going to be intresting to see if dj and gortha can bring anything new.They are going on the team holiday soon.
    January is a busy month for our 3 clubs still involved.While most of us are in favour of shortening the club calendar it's a bit unfair asking lads to tog out the first few days of January spoiling the Christmas.A bigger suprise for me I was talking to players from two senior clubs who are back training the first week of January.seems like madness and it's hard to blame lads for not committing when only one or two matches in April then nothing over the summer months.Its hard to see club players sticking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Happy Christmas to everybody who supports the Cats - whether home in Ireland or abroad. Enjoy the festive season and keep safe.

The league will be starting in late Jan and will be great to see league action again. Planning a fee trips to see the Black and Amber.

See you all in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Happy Christmas to everybody who supports the Cats - whether home in Ireland or abroad. Enjoy the festive season and keep safe.

The league will be starting in late Jan and will be great to see league action again. Planning a fee trips to see the Black and Amber.

See you all in 2020.
    Can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

See you all in 2020.

Merry Christmas to you all from a Cat's fan here in freezing Rhode Island. Have a safe and Happy New Year's as well.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Merry Christmas to you all from a Cat's fan here in freezing Rhode Island. Have a safe and Happy New Year's as well.

And a happy new year from a Cats fan in beautiful sunny Savannah :)

With the new year nearly upon us what new comers are we expecting to step up or have we any unknowns like huw lawlor that can make an impression?
    Lads like kevin kelly and ger aylward have had set back after set back and their time is nearly running out.
    Liam blanchfield has threatened at times but for some reason wasnt used much this year.
    Richie leahy has blown hot and cold.Jason cleere has plenty of ability but seems to be too loose defensively.
    James Maher has filled out well and has being unlucky with injury hopefully he can get a good run.Conor Delaney showed very well earlier in the league before getting injured hopefully he can get a run
    Billy Ryan and john Donnelly both impressed this year and billy would bring a bit of pace to the fowards.
    We really need to find a inside foward who can trouble the score board I dont know if eoin cody is ready yet but I'd like to see him get league time.Shane walsh had a good year.
    Darren mullen looks like he can get the number 2 Jersey.
    Hopefully dj and gortha will give our fowards a bit of direction.We need more creativity and we still haven't figured out playing against sweepers.
    Mikey butler looks like he could be very good.evan shefflin and david blanchfield are others who impressed.
    All in all we probably wont see a huge amount of change because we blooded alot over the last few years.We have chopped and changed our midfield alot I've heard talk of Wally going there but it's a position we've struggled with along with a few scoring fowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Heard a rumour last night that DJ is leaving the senior set up. No idea if its reliable at all but just wondering if anyone here heard anything.

Heard a rumour last night that DJ is leaving the senior set up. No idea if its reliable at all but just wondering if anyone here heard anything.

I heard the other day that dj took a few sessions and the players were happy with himself and comerford.Id hope the new backroom team will add a bit of freshness to the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I heard the other day that dj took a few sessions and the players were happy with himself and comerford.Id hope the new backroom team will add a bit of freshness to the setup.

That's good to hear. Didn't think my source was accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

With the new year nearly upon us what new comers are we expecting to step up or have we any unknowns like huw lawlor that can make an impression?
    Lads like kevin kelly and ger aylward have had set back after set back and their time is nearly running out.
    Liam blanchfield has threatened at times but for some reason wasnt used much this year.
    Richie leahy has blown hot and cold.Jason cleere has plenty of ability but seems to be too loose defensively.
    James Maher has filled out well and has being unlucky with injury hopefully he can get a good run.Conor Delaney showed very well earlier in the league before getting injured hopefully he can get a run
    Billy Ryan and john Donnelly both impressed this year and billy would bring a bit of pace to the fowards.
    We really need to find a inside foward who can trouble the score board I dont know if eoin cody is ready yet but I'd like to see him get league time.Shane walsh had a good year.
    Darren mullen looks like he can get the number 2 Jersey.
    Hopefully dj and gortha will give our fowards a bit of direction.We need more creativity and we still haven't figured out playing against sweepers.
    Mikey butler looks like he could be very good.evan shefflin and david blanchfield are others who impressed.
    All in all we probably wont see a huge amount of change because we blooded alot over the last few years.We have chopped and changed our midfield alot I've heard talk of Wally going there but it's a position we've struggled with along with a few scoring fowards.

I would be more optimistic than last year. Eoin Murphy is one of the best goalkeepers in the country and Darren Brennan is a capable deputy. Huw Lawlor may have solved our full back problems with Paul Murphy, Tommy Walsh, Miley Butler, Darren Mullen Joey Holden competing for the remaining positions in the full back line. Padraig Walsh and Conor Delaney should fill 2 positions in the half back line with competition from Paddy Deegan, Richie Reid, Cillian Buckley, Jason Cleere. Midfield has Richie Leahy, James Maher, Conor Browne and Conor Fogarty. TJ, Adrian Mullen, Colin Fennelly and John Donnelly should fill 4 spots in the forwards. I would like to see Billy Ryan and Liam Blanchfield get extended runs to nail down their spots. Richie Hogan, Walter Walsh, Shane Walsh to provide competition.
    I don't see Evan Shefflin, Enda Morrissey, Ger Aylward, Kevin Kelly, Luke Scanlon making it. David Blanchfield could be a useful addition to the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

David Blanchfield by virtue of his being by far our best under 20 player in 2019, Darren Mullen by virtue of his club displays, Conor Delaney who would have been a fixture but for injury , Huw lawlor and TJ because they were consistently good in every game should be the only automatic picks for 2020. All the rest had their ups and downs. The sum total of our 2019 season was one good win over Cork one lucky win over Limerick the truth be told if the Limerick match had gone on much longer we would not have held out. We did not do much in the league scraped through the Leinsters and would have lost the All Ireland with or without the sending off and lost it comfortably. A radical over haul is required. A dominant center back, a dominant center forward, a dominant full forward and lastly a dominant mid- fielder are the requirements. We dont seem to have them for any of these positions. Average to good is what we had last year in these positions but average to good just wont cut it.There is no one on last years squad who are good enough so to see the same names again is just more of the same.

We have remained competitive since that great squad broke up.We have introduced an awful alot of new faces.Some have stepped up quicker than others.Midfield is an area we have changed game by game.It would be great to unearth a few scoring fowards during the league.I would worry that when the shamrocks lads come back they will be on the road a long time and tiredness could be an issue.
    I think it has to be a big year for a few fringe players liam blanchfield springs to mind.This will be his 4th year on the panel lads like him will need to start nailing down a place.
    While lawlor done well for his first year it's a pity delaney didnt get a few more runs at full back.Padraig is so flexible he could do a job in the fowards but I'd like to see him restored to 5 and if buckley was fully fit I'd have him at 7.Id like to see us with a bit more physicality around mid field I've heard a few lads touting Wally for this position
    Up front hopefully dj and gortha will have a good influence around our fowards and we raise a few more green flags.
    The fitzgibbon is starting around the same time as our walsh cup match plus we have 3 club teams involved so it will hopefully give a few fringe players a chance.I think I heard we have a large amount of players involved with fitzgibbon this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FanLarkin12

The best of luck to our three clubs that are in all Ireland semi finals this weekend hopefully the weather this week will hold up for there games pitches would be better than before Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement