Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

blackcard wrote: »
    I was disappointed with the managerial team. The big difference between the teams was the Dublin full forward Swan who scored 3 goals when the teams met previously and scored another 3-1 in this match. KK were unable for his strength and power (I thought he was allowed take a lot of steps too but so were our lads). We allowed our full back to be isolated against him. It was evident in the second half that any time the ball went in that it was going to be either a goal or a free. It was crying out for him to be double marked. We have some nice hurlers but need a couple of backs.
    thing is swan is under 16 as is murray.agree we have to do something with swan if we meet again.management were warned in parnell pk and maybe because we won they didnt pay enough heed to dublin.their 16s with swan and murray will be favourites for next year.boywho chose football over hurling was offered captains armband to stop him going to football.however if we sort our the backs we xan win this all ireland.

I was dissapointed we wernt further ahead at half time as we had done all the hurling.hopefully we xan finish the job next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

MfMan wrote: »
    If the ball goes between the posts, then automatically it is over the bar. Horgan was well within his rights to consult Hawkeye for clarification, use it when it's there. The people manning Hawkeye message the ref. is a call needs to be made with it anyway AFAIK.

I have never seen Hawkeye used like this before and wouldn't be sure that it has this capability as it is currently used. I think Hawkeye projects the path of the ball against a theoretical location of goalposts. Hawkeye is used in cricket to predict if a ball that hits the batsman would otherwise have gone on to hit the wicket. If posts swayed on a windy day Hawkeye could show a point where a ball actually was wide.
    You can be sure that if Hawkeye wasn't around that numerous people would have sworn that Bubbles shot was over the bar in the drawn AI in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Typical Cody team performance yesterday. I expect both teams to improve the next day. Team selection and tactics could well decide who wins the replay.

Draw match not ideal for either team and the match should have been decided on the day. GAA have got enough money from the round robin and asking teams to play 3 weekends in a row again is really unfair. Does anyone who decided this ever think about anything but money. So the losing Leinster finalist will now be at a disadvantage to Limerick as their game is a run out. No disrespect to Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Typical Cody team performance yesterday. I expect both teams to improve the next day. Team selection and tactics could well decide who wins the replay.

Draw match not ideal for either team and the match should have been decided on the day. GAA have got enough money from the round robin and asking teams to play 3 weekends in a row again is really unfair. Does anyone who decided this ever think about anything but money. So the losing Leinster finalist will now be at a disadvantage to Limerick as their game is a run out. No disrespect to Carlow.
    Agreed, should have played extra time .. the teams that qualified for the provincial finals were supposed to have the advantage of an extra week of rest over the third place qualifiers.. that's clearly not the case now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    The few of us that were actually confident of victory over Galway yesterday are actually disappointed somewhat today. From talking and listening to people, we are a small group. The current Kilkenny are still not as good as past Kilkenny squads but remember we are still in bonus territory for 2018, yesterday was another bonus which confidence benefits all round.

This doesn't make sense. If you were genuinely confident of a Kilkenny win yesterday it doesn't make sense to describe Kilkenny as "in bonus territory" or say that just drawing with Galway (who you were confident Kilkenny would beat) is "another bonus". If you are confident of beating Galway surely winning the All-Ireland title is the basic requirement of a Kilkenny team you rate that highly? Your comments just don't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Powerhouse wrote: »
    This doesn't make sense. If you were genuinely confident of a Kilkenny win yesterday it doesn't make sense to describe Kilkenny as "in bonus territory" or say that just drawing with Galway (who you were confident Kilkenny would beat) is "another bonus". If you are confident of beating Galway surely winning the All-Ireland title is the basic requirement of a Kilkenny team you rate that highly? Your comments just don't add up.

Have you any thoughts yourself, other than trying to picking holes in someone else's opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

blackcard wrote: »
    9 down now. There were clear issues in the backs in Parnell Park and they haven't been addressed obviously

I was disappointed with the managerial team. The big difference between the teams was the Dublin full forward Swan who scored 3 goals when the teams met previously and scored another 3-1 in this match.  KK were unable for his strength and power (I thought he was allowed take a lot of steps too but so were our lads). We allowed our full back to be isolated against him. It was evident in the second half that any time the ball went in that it was going to be either a goal or a free. It was crying out for him to be double marked. We have some nice hurlers but need a couple of backs.
    Agreed that the only solution for the management here was to double mark the Dublin full forward Swan as they had already tried three different man markers on him. Swan is underage for minor again next year so that gives you the idea of his potential. He also on the minor footballers so whether he stick to the hurling remains to be seen. Alot of this Dublin team are underage for next year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

If the ball goes between the posts, then automatically it is over the bar. Horgan was well within his rights to consult Hawkeye for clarification, use it when it's there. The people manning Hawkeye message the ref. is a call needs to be made with it anyway AFAIK.

In 2016, Eoin Murphy caught a Pauric Mahony free over the height of the crossbar. It was not OVER the crossbar, as in a point. A feat he repeated recently in Nowlan Park against Wexford. So I'm not sure what point you are making. The point I was making is that there is Hawkeye, but it is not goal line technology, nor is it VAR

https://www.hawkeyeinnovations.com/sports/GAA

It is a camera based system. I'm not aware of a camera looking down on the crossbar or looking across the cross bar from the side posts.

Look on this occasion it was over and did not affect the result, but I personally felt calling for Hawkeye is misleading to the public perception of what Hawkeye can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Does Hawkeye record when a ball passes between the posts (over the bar) regardless of height? if so, then surely it is goal-line technology? Once the ball goes over the bar and behind the goal line then it is a score, even if it comes back into play straight afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Does Hawkeye record when a ball passes between the posts (over the bar) regardless of height? if so, then surely it is goal-line technology? Once the ball goes over the bar and behind the goal line then it is a score, even if it comes back into play straight afterwards.
    No it takes the lone of the ball and predicts where it would end up if not stopped or deflected. It cannot say where the ball is or if it crosses a certain line or point.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

I thought it worked off a measurement from a fixed point as it crosses the end/goal line.
    Say that measurement point is the front corner of the Hogan stand. It knows the left post is 60' from this point and the right post is 72' away.
    It takes a measurement at the time ball passes exactly over the end line/goal line and if that measurement is greater than 60' and less than 72' it awards the pint, as it must be between the posts (regardless of height).
    It has no idea whether that ball went half an inch over the cross bar or over if it went out over Hill16, all it knows is something flew into the radar line of sight.
    So it can tell if it was between the posts, but it doesnt know if the ball has gone across the goal line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Can Hawkeye distinguish between the ball and another object? Could Hawkeye inadvertently pick up the hurl, in this case Eoin Murphy's hurl, rather than the ball? I've never seen it been used Like this before and didn't think it could work n such circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Have you any thoughts yourself, other than trying to picking holes in someone else's opinion?[/QUOTE

Plenty. I thought Kilkenny would beat Waterford, Wexford, and Tipperary handily enough in the final. I though that Tipperary would finish third in Munster and after the poverty of their League final performance that they wouldn't even make that. I was abused for all of these opinions but because they offended the group-think around here but I offered them. I most certainly have "any thoughts" myself and you it's fairly pathetic to imply otherwise just because my opinions don't suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Everyone is very bitchy. I know it's warm lads but take a deep breath.

Have you any thoughts yourself, other than trying to picking holes in someone else's opinion?[/QUOTE

Plenty. I thought Kilkenny would beat Waterford, Wexford, and Tipperary handily enough in the final. I though that Tipperary would finish third in Munster and after the poverty of their League final performance that they wouldn't even make that. I was abused for all of these opinions but because they offended the group-think around here but I offered them. I most certainly have "any thoughts" myself and you it's fairly pathetic to imply otherwise just because my opinions don't suit you.

I actually mean't did you have an opinion on last Sunday and next Sundays game, as your first post was belittling someones else's opinion and you hadn't offered one yourself. That was all.

Yes I saw those posts and while I may not have wholeheartedly agreed with all of your opinions, I could see the merit in them and shared some of your opinions.

I think you have quite an adversarial style of writing and maybe if you parsed your posts in different language you would't get up peoples backs but maybe you like that, I don't know.

Anyway I'm very sorry for up setting you and being so pathetic.

I'd happy with the backs and I think we all know what we're going to get from them, we have Conor Delaney and Jason Cleere to come in if anyone is getting skint. It's up front where I think it'll be fascinating to see what approach we adopt. As we all know we'll get hammered out the gate if we try and use the highball into the forwards. The team though suggests we're going to tackle them completely differently.

I think Mossy and Leahy are there as much for their legs as anything else. I think TJ will probably alternate between the wings and not play CF really at all. They should try to isolate TJ and whichever wing back he's on for puckouts. I think Richie or Mossy will go in CF when TJ goes to their wing. Their job will be to try and drag McInerney out of position as much as possible and away from TJ......... the Galway midfield will sweep back to help out but our midfield will need to push up an negate them bossing their own half back line. If we play smart ball and spread them out as far as we can all day.......

We need to keep their backs as far apart from each other all day. This will require a huge amount of discipline and also running to help tackle their backs when they win the ball. I think with the heat tomorrow the starting forwards will be told to "go out and empty the tank your only playing for 30 to 40 mins anyway".

Billy Ryan is big, fast, has a good paw and is deadly accurate from all angles when on form. Consistency has been his problem up to now..... Ger Aylward is the other one that will hopefully produce the goods.........If Ger can get an early score or two it'll be like someone flipping a switch the confidence will come rushing back.......

If we play the right way, I do think we can edge it by a few points. If we play the wrong way we could be destroyed. It'll probably be something in between as I said before a 3-4 point loss. Although I'm a lot more excited now that I've seen the team, for me Cody has a plan and he has picked the right lads to execute it properly. Hopefully it goes to plan and doesn't unravel early on by conceding a few early goals.

I got a few things right and I'm not trying to say I'm a great lad but I think the match went along similar lines as I thought once I saw the team. I think Cody picked a great starting lineup we had a great bench and we used it. There are few things I would crib about in the performance though.

1. We didn't spot the pass or didn't execute it properly to really punish Galway, especially in the first half when we were on top. This is always going to happen with a young team, give them a few years playing together and these opportunities and passes will be taken far more frequently.

2. I actually think we left it a little late to bring on the subs particularly Richie Hogan. I think if you threw him in 10 minutes earlier he could have really went to town on them.

3. Similar to no 1 we took the wrong option at times for instance Paddy Deegans attempt at a pass to Buckley which ended up being and easy point for Galway. Ger Aylward cutting back inside instead of shooting for goal. TJ going for goal rather than a point. All just things that we took the wrong option on but again not the end of the world.

One thing perplexed me near the end of the second half, Wally was fouled about 45 out the ref stuck out his hand for advantage for what was a very obvious foul. No advantage at all accrued yet he never gave a free, why? Seconds later Galway had the ball down the other end and scored a handy point, to me that was a two point turn around which could have been the winning of the game. I would have very few complaints otherwise, the ref gave us some handy ones and he gave them some handy ones but over all I thought he was good except for the above incident.

My rating of the players
    Eoin Murphy 8
    thought he had a really good display again made a great save from Conor Whelan landed a free and I thought he got his puckouts fairly right.
    Paul Murphy 8
    thought he had his best display for Kilkenny since 2016 and was back to what we expect of him, Mannion eventually went out the field and got a bit of joy but Murph kept the square safe a few times in the second half.
    Padraig Walsh 9
    He was obviously pissed off about everyone saying he's not able for big men as he outfielded all the men they put in on him. Outstanding, more of the same please
    Paddy Deegan 7
    I'm probably being harsh on him but he made a few mistakes and one definitely cost us a point but he's young and in fairness too him is getting better and better. I honestly didn't think he had what it takes at this level and I'm glad to eat humble pie.
    Joey Holden 6
    Again a good strong performance although his man did get 4 from play. I wouldn't necessarily blame Joey for all of them, he was good going forward and helped strengthen the HB line
    Cillian Buckley 8
    I thought Buckley had a great game and played really well, he covered and very little came down through the middle.
    Enda Morrissey 7
    I thought Enda did really well for his Croke park debut, especially after not being great the last day. Made that run for Richie Hogan to pass it to him as well.
    James Maher 9
    He was my man of the match, he was absolutely everywhere. I wonder did the lads on the Sunday Game mix himself and Buckley up with the red helmets. He was brilliant covering back, breaking up attacks, providing options for the defence to play the ball out. He broke forward as well. I think if he had a got a point or two he would easily have been MOTM.
    Conor Fogarty 7
    Did a huge amount of work and got really stuck into them in the middle third he broke up a huge amount of ball and won scrappy ball on the ground.
    Mossy Keoghan 7
    This might seem high but Mossy and Richie were there to do a job for Cody and that was to keep Aidan Harte and Padraig Mannion from dominating and launching attacks. You see how good a job, they did as when he and leahy went off, the Gal WB really powered into the game and it took us a while to subdue them again but they did a fair bit of damage in that 15 minutes or so.
    TJ Reid 9
    Just phenomenal as usual he scored our first and last point from play, he led the line all day.
    Richie Leahy 8
    As I said in Mossy's rating he was there to do a job but also got on the ball a bit more and drove forward.
    Billy Ryan 8
    For his senior championship debut in a leinster final against the AI champions, this was a great performance and great call from Cody. He only got two out of his 5 shots over the bar but he won ball and created 5 chances for himself and nailed two of them. This was great especially after missing the first which was probably his easiest chance.
    Walter Walsh 7
    Wally gets this score for effort more than anything he actually did although he took his point well when he got the chance.
    Ger Aylward 6
    Ger tried he's heart out and ran himself into the ground so he probably should get a 7 like Wally but he went for goal when he was too far out and should have taken a point. He cut back inside when he probably should have shot for goal. He was blocked for a point when he should have passed. He eventually got his point. The one thing about all of the above is he was in the right place and when he starts believing again those chance will go in/over.
    Liam Blanchfield 6
    He threw himself around and won ball he had no right to win and annoyed a tired Galway defence.
    Richie Hogan 7
    Had the presence of mind to make space for himself, to then look up and see Morrisseys run and get the pass spot on. Would say he might start next Sunday
    John Donnelly 8
    For me was our super sub on Sunday he was involved in our last three points. Scored his own one after a great catch, broke up the ball for Richie to win and pass for Morrissey's point and broke down the last ball and held off the man for TJ's screamer.
    Colin Fennelly not on long enough to rate.

I genuinely think if there was a few extra minutes in that match or extra time we would have won it. Contrary to David Burkes assertion, they were the ones who looked fearful and nervous in the closing minutes. I'm going to say it now, I think we'll win the replay on Sunday. From talking to a few S&C lads not from KK, they reckon our lads should have the slightly (I mean slightly) better recovery. That Galway starting team were all over 25 most closer to 28 with a good few miles on the clock bar the 2 corner forwards. Normally it wouldn't matter but in this weather and with the quick turn around, we might just be a little fresher in the end. Also in both halves we finished stronger, I don't think they scored in the last 7-8 minutes at the end of either half.

Really looking forward to Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Fair play tbiggertycome… excellent post as usual, I always look forward to your post match analysis... agree with all of the above.

I aso agree with above post ex ept I thought mossy was very poor and cant see how you could mark him higher than ger.but everyine sees thing differently.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    I aso agree with above post ex ept I thought mossy was very poor and cant see how you could mark him higher than ger.but everyine sees thing differently.

I understand where your coming from but I kept an eye on both himself and Leahy to see how they'd be deployed. As I said his was a thankless task, that took a lot of discipline for someone so young. I thought he executed his task well but unfortunately couldn't get on the ball at all really. Aidan Harte who he was marking did very little before Mossy went off I thought.

• Advertisement

Fair enough bigger but for me forwards are there to score .dont think he had a shot on the goals.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Fair enough bigger but for me forwards are there to score .dont think he had a shot on the goals.

100% correct, he only had the ball in hand a few times either but I think he sacrificed his game for the plan and I admire him for doing that hence the score, I completely understand what your saying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I'd happy with the backs and I think we all know what we're going to get from them, we have Conor Delaney and Jason Cleere to come in if anyone is getting skint. It's up front where I think it'll be fascinating to see what approach we adopt. As we all know we'll get hammered out the gate if we try and use the highball into the forwards. The team though suggests we're going to tackle them completely differently.

I think Mossy and Leahy are there as much for their legs as anything else. I think TJ will probably alternate between the wings and not play CF really at all. They should try to isolate TJ and whichever wing back he's on for puckouts. I think Richie or Mossy will go in CF when TJ goes to their wing. Their job will be to try and drag McInerney out of position as much as possible and away from TJ......... the Galway midfield will sweep back to help out but our midfield will need to push up an negate them bossing their own half back line. If we play smart ball and spread them out as far as we can all day.......

We need to keep their backs as far apart from each other all day. This will require a huge amount of discipline and also running to help tackle their backs when they win the ball. I think with the heat tomorrow the starting forwards will be told to "go out and empty the tank your only playing for 30 to 40 mins anyway".

Billy Ryan is big, fast, has a good paw and is deadly accurate from all angles when on form. Consistency has been his problem up to now..... Ger Aylward is the other one that will hopefully produce the goods.........If Ger can get an early score or two it'll be like someone flipping a switch the confidence will come rushing back.......

If we play the right way, I do think we can edge it by a few points. If we play the wrong way we could be destroyed. It'll probably be something in between as I said before a 3-4 point loss. Although I'm a lot more excited now that I've seen the team, for me Cody has a plan and he has picked the right lads to execute it properly. Hopefully it goes to plan and doesn't unravel early on by conceding a few early goals.

I got a few things right and I'm not trying to say I'm a great lad but I think the match went along similar lines as I thought once I saw the team. I think Cody picked a great starting lineup we had a great bench and we used it. There are few things I would crib about in the performance though.

1. We didn't spot the pass or didn't execute it properly to really punish Galway, especially in the first half when we were on top. This is always going to happen with a young team, give them a few years playing together and these opportunities and passes will be taken far more frequently.

2. I actually think we left it a little late to bring on the subs particularly Richie Hogan. I think if you threw him in 10 minutes earlier he could have really went to town on them.

3. Similar to no 1 we took the wrong option at times for instance Paddy Deegans attempt at a pass to Buckley which ended up being and easy point for Galway. Ger Aylward cutting back inside instead of shooting for goal. TJ going for goal rather than a point. All just things that we took the wrong option on but again not the end of the world.

One thing perplexed me near the end of the second half, Wally was fouled about 45 out the ref stuck out his hand for advantage for what was a very obvious foul. No advantage at all accrued yet he never gave a free, why? Seconds later Galway had the ball down the other end and scored a handy point, to me that was a two point turn around which could have been the winning of the game. I would have very few complaints otherwise, the ref gave us some handy ones and he gave them some handy ones but over all I thought he was good except for the above incident.

My rating of the players
    Eoin Murphy 8
    thought he had a really good display again made a great save from Conor Whelan landed a free and I thought he got his puckouts fairly right.
    Paul Murphy 8
    thought he had his best display for Kilkenny since 2016 and was back to what we expect of him, Mannion eventually went out the field and got a bit of joy but Murph kept the square safe a few times in the second half.
    Padraig Walsh 9
    He was obviously pissed off about everyone saying he's not able for big men as he outfielded all the men they put in on him. Outstanding, more of the same please
    Paddy Deegan 7
    I'm probably being harsh on him but he made a few mistakes and one definitely cost us a point but he's young and in fairness too him is getting better and better. I honestly didn't think he had what it takes at this level and I'm glad to eat humble pie.
    Joey Holden 6
    Again a good strong performance although his man did get 4 from play. I wouldn't necessarily blame Joey for all of them, he was good going forward and helped strengthen the HB line
    Cillian Buckley 8
    I thought Buckley had a great game and played really well, he covered and very little came down through the middle.
    Enda Morrissey 7
    I thought Enda did really well for his Croke park debut, especially after not being great the last day. Made that run for Richie Hogan to pass it to him as well.
    James Maher 9
    He was my man of the match, he was absolutely everywhere. I wonder did the lads on the Sunday Game mix himself and Buckley up with the red helmets. He was brilliant covering back, breaking up attacks, providing options for the defence to play the ball out. He broke forward as well. I think if he had a got a point or two he would easily have been MOTM.
    Conor Fogarty 7
    Did a huge amount of work and got really stuck into them in the middle third he broke up a huge amount of ball and won scrappy ball on the ground.
    Mossy Keoghan 7
    This might seem high but Mossy and Richie were there to do a job for Cody and that was to keep Aidan Harte and Padraig Mannion from dominating and launching attacks. You see how good a job, they did as when he and leahy went off, the Gal WB really powered into the game and it took us a while to subdue them again but they did a fair bit of damage in that 15 minutes or so.
    TJ Reid 9
    Just phenomenal as usual he scored our first and last point from play, he led the line all day.
    Richie Leahy 8
    As I said in Mossy's rating he was there to do a job but also got on the ball a bit more and drove forward.
    Billy Ryan 8
    For his senior championship debut in a leinster final against the AI champions, this was a great performance and great call from Cody. He only got two out of his 5 shots over the bar but he won ball and created 5 chances for himself and nailed two of them. This was great especially after missing the first which was probably his easiest chance.
    Walter Walsh 7
    Wally gets this score for effort more than anything he actually did although he took his point well when he got the chance.
    Ger Aylward 6
    Ger tried he's heart out and ran himself into the ground so he probably should get a 7 like Wally but he went for goal when he was too far out and should have taken a point. He cut back inside when he probably should have shot for goal. He was blocked for a point when he should have passed. He eventually got his point. The one thing about all of the above is he was in the right place and when he starts believing again those chance will go in/over.
    Liam Blanchfield 6
    He threw himself around and won ball he had no right to win and annoyed a tired Galway defence.
    Richie Hogan 7
    Had the presence of mind to make space for himself, to then look up and see Morrisseys run and get the pass spot on. Would say he might start next Sunday
    John Donnelly 8
    For me was our super sub on Sunday he was involved in our last three points. Scored his own one after a great catch, broke up the ball for Richie to win and pass for Morrissey's point and broke down the last ball and held off the man for TJ's screamer.
    Colin Fennelly not on long enough to rate.

I genuinely think if there was a few extra minutes in that match or extra time we would have won it. Contrary to David Burkes assertion, they were the ones who looked fearful and nervous in the closing minutes. I'm going to say it now, I think we'll win the replay on Sunday. From talking to a few S&C lads not from KK, they reckon our lads should have the slightly (I mean slightly) better recovery. That Galway starting team were all over 25 most closer to 28 with a good few miles on the clock bar the 2 corner forwards. Normally it wouldn't matter but in this weather and with the quick turn around, we might just be a little fresher in the end. Also in both halves we finished stronger, I don't think they scored in the last 7-8 minutes at the end of either half.

Really looking forward to Sunday now.

Great post a chara.

Yeah, I agree with you - I thought James Maher was excellent. He got through a mountain of work and I think he got a point.

I remember the free you are talking about re: Walter. I was in the Hogan and was listening to Radio 1. Mullane couldn't understand it either as referee signalled advantage but none accrued after 5 secs but play went on.

Our attitude from the first whistle was excellent. Really aggressive but with a purpose. We had to keep Galway half-back line on the back foot and the lads did that. They were honest and battled hard. There was no time to get any shot off such was the pressure. I thought it was a super game - in terms of intensity and tactics.

I think somestime when Ger is on the ball that he tries to do too much, if that makes sense? He thinks he has to create goals etc. at every opportunity. I think his workrate is unreal and is very busy but just needs to take the simple option e.g. tap it over bar or pop it back to someone in a better position.

Be interesting to see if Cody makes any changes for the replay.

Btw, I really enjoyed the Joe Mc D game between Carlow and Westmeath. Some great passages of play and some mighty scores. Two evenly matched teams in fairness but Carlow got a goal at end of first half and one at start of second half. That was basically the difference!

Was the Walter free you're talking about after the tackle by David Burke? Ref put out his hand to say it was a dive. If not that one ignore me

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Was the Walter free you're talking about after the tackle by David Burke? Ref put out his hand to say it was a dive. If not that one ignore me

First half or second half? Burke robbed Wally fairly in first half after a good tussle but in second Wally should have got a free under Cusack Stand - I was in Hogan and I thought ref. waved for advantage but he never pulled it back again.

2nd half Cusack stand side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

Walter should have getting a free under the Cusack stand not long after that there was a clear push in the back on Liam Blanchfield nothing was given.

Yeah you seem to be right when I look back at it, when it pans out you can see the ref motioning to Wally to get up. It's at 38.40 on the TV coverage. Wally gets the ball after Daithi Burke drops his hurl in the challenge. He is going towards goal and David Burke comes at him and grabs his left arm and pulls him back and trips him at the same time. Wally plays on, hops back up and hand passes out. How the ref didn't think it was a free I don't know. My recollection from being there was the ref had his hand out for a bit. He obviously changed his mind and told Wally to get up. Really bad call when you look back at it.

Another thing I loved was when Johnathan Glynn was introduced the Kilkenny defence had obviously been told or spotted themselves that Glynn catches a ball and then lays it off almost 99% of the time. He rarely shoots himself. So the first ball came down to him he caught it imperiously but the lads weren't worried they were looking for the runner they identified him and within a few steps of recieving the handpass from Glynn he was bottled up by 4 KK lads and lost the ball. The next few plays Kilkenny were ready for it again and I think it was very deliberate to not let Glynn come on and drive Galway on, they hammered the hammer.

Was talking to a friend and he had a chat with one of Galways backroom team this week. Basically that member of the backroom team is seriously concerned for Galway. He doesn't think they've been as focused this year. He thinks if they lose on Sunday they will seriously struggle to win the AI. He thought if there were a few more minutes last Sunday, Kilkenny could have won and if there was extra time he was sure we would have taken them then.

This does not mean we'll win or anything but its little indication that all is not 100% in Galway. I think their just not humming as they were last year. He thinks their players have been just a tiny bit complacent. I think if you asked the players they'd say "no we're working harder than last year" but this guy doesn't think it's been enough. It's also something you can't just turn on at will, I don't think so anyway.

This doesn't mean that Galway won't and can't beat us, I still think if they got a few goals they'd push on and beat us, unless we score a few ourselves which we don't really look like doing too easily. However I do think it shows that if we push them as hard again and put them under the same and even more pressure we can win the game. I think they showed a bit of this by not scoring for the last 7 or 8 minutes at the end of each half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Was talking to a friend and he had a chat with one of Galways backroom team this week. Basically that member of the backroom team is seriously concerned for Galway. He doesn't think they've been as focused this year. He thinks if they lose on Sunday they will seriously struggle to win the AI. He thought if there were a few more minutes last Sunday, Kilkenny could have won and if there was extra time he was sure we would have taken them then.

This does not mean we'll win or anything but its little indication that all is not 100% in Galway. I think their just not humming as they were last year. He thinks their players have been just a tiny bit complacent. I think if you asked the players they'd say "no we're working harder than last year" but this guy doesn't think it's been enough. It's also something you can't just turn on at will, I don't think so anyway.

This doesn't mean that Galway won't and can't beat us, I still think if they got a few goals they'd push on and beat us, unless we score a few ourselves which we don't really look like doing too easily. However I do think it shows that if we push them as hard again and put them under the same and even more pressure we can win the game. I think they showed a bit of this by not scoring for the last 7 or 8 minutes at the end of each half.

That seems apparent in the sloppiness of their play. Added to that, Galway are different to teams like Kilkenny, Tipperary or Cork who are used to winning All-Irelands and familiar with the pressure that comes with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement