Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭kksaints

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Is the game on live does anyone know.

No, its deferred coverage on tg4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

No deferred at 3.40

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Brian017 wrote: »
    No deferred at 3.40
    Many thanks.my dad is 87 and cant go anymore but likes to watch on tv ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Agree & it's most true for Blanchfield. Big boy who can hurl but blows hot & cold a bit too much. He shows signs of brilliance but at the same time he really hasn't featured much, even in league. On Evan Shefflin, I really like this lad. He pops up in the right spot 2-4 times a game and always seems to find the black spot when he gets his chances. Bulked up a lot in the past year too. The forward I'm most enthusiastic about is John Donnelly. Teak tough, works like a dog & is a fantastic hurler. Depending on who really finds form there is the making of another great team. I do fear that with all the club success which allowed us to see more of some players than other years we might be looking through club level tinted glasses and could have our enthusiasm knocked down a peg. Only one way to find out! I don't want to lose but the league results don't mean much ...but, it's time we beat Wexford! Not sure how many wins they've got on the trot but it's too many. They looked really good and really fit for early January from what I could see in Buff's video.

Definitely a bit of the club rose tinted glasses going on .lads. talking about shane Walsh as a option.evan shefflin looked ordinary enough for u20 last year and the defensive side of his game needs a bit of work great striker from distance but could struggle in open space against top forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Definitely a bit of the club rose tinted glasses going on .lads. talking about shane Walsh as a option.evan shefflin looked ordinary enough for u20 last year and the defensive side of his game needs a bit of work great striker from distance but could struggle in open space against top forwards.

Hard not to lately but you have the right idea. A little optimism, tempered, never hurt. Strange one today. Seemed to be getting beat in a lot of areas but kept right there even w/out the goals. I guess 'goals win games' is true sometimes though. Deegan was good. Blanchfield injured or otherwise committed? Billy Ryan is awkward like Taggy & direct like Colin. High Hope's. Fogarty was solid & chipped in with his usual few points & reliability. Would've liked to see a few more minutes of Mossy & Tommy W., & B. Sheehan. A. Murphy was as good as you could ask from dead balls. M. Carey & M. Cody didn't impress, Tommy instantly improving the show when he came on. Cian Dillon was very good. Could've got MOTM. An enjoyable start.

On Blanch: I think for some, being big young can be a disadvantage in a few ways. Bigger expectations, more youth success often due more to size/strength than pure talent or a good mix. I just don't think he's adopted to IC where more than size is needed. Not far off & more inconsistent than anything. Just a random 00.02
    Congrats Kats.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wasn't at the match but I have to say that's a somewhat surprising result particularly after going down to 14 men in the first half. Considering Dublin usually start the league very strongly and then fade that's a very good win for us missing the Ballyhale lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Dublin started today with ten of last years team so today was a good win with a good few new faces and down a man for good bit of it.
    Dublin persisted with short ball that didnt work alot of the time and lacked a goal threat again in front of the posts.I thought Delaney was caught out a few times but wallace done well.carey was also caught for legs a few times while cody was very decent.
    Deegan mopped up a lot of ball and got a few great scores.Ger I thought looked sharp today even If his pace is gone I thought he tried hard.brassil got a few nice points and Donnelly again done some great things and is a beautiful striker.alan Murphy was excellent on the frees so overall a good day to start off and.The subs looked sharp aswell and I thought we varied our game up and thankfully going away from route one but its early days

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

I thought Dublin were very average today outside of Eamonn Dillon who is very good and Oisin O Rourke.

Lots of mistakes on both sides but it’s the first league game so that’s to be expected.

In fairness to Cody a lot of lads got game time some played well, others didn’t impress.

I think Tommy Walsh or Darren Mullen will push hard for. Corner bsck spot.

Evan Shefflin, Michael Carey and Michael Cody don’t have the pace for wing back at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Happy with result today. Plenty of good performances without anyone dominating. At the start the forwards found it hard to get the ball to stick but the work rate was excellent and a number of scores came from turnovers and the high work rate continued in the 2nd half when down to 14. I couldn't see the red card at the game but having seen it since you could argue that the ref was technically correct as it was a shoulder to the head. But how the Dublin full back didn't go in the 2nd half for the same offence is beyond belief. I thought it was red at the time and watching it again confirmed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

We out fouģht and outworked dublin today..deegan walter stand out for me.ger looked sharp but has his pace gone?.wonder will we see padraig next game.

• Advertisement

dubcat51 wrote: »
    We out fouģht and outworked dublin today..deegan walter stand out for me.ger looked sharp but has his pace gone?.wonder will we see padraig next game.

I thought ger tried very hard today took his goal very well but I'd worry bout his pace..Its a big league for him...brassil got a few nice scores today
    I presume cody will use his squad for next weekend match against carlow.brennan should get a run in goal and we could see a few of the younger ballyhale lads brought into the panel

Yes Wally looked hungry and led the forwards.kilkenny supporters crying for a red to balance leahy one.o Donnell and Leahys were probably orange but both not red.good performance to build on

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

I really don’t think Aylward is at the required level. He’s honest and very hard working but His hurling is so limited. Great goal today, but two or 3 times had the ball in hand and because of his swing style couldn’t shoot or had to go backwards. He has a very weak wristed swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Didn't love todays performance to be honest. We were gifted a goal and the other two came by chance, although they were brilliant finishes, rather than by design. We still persist with lumping ball down on a static 3 man full forward line. I see no effective attacking plan except for high cross field balls on top of the inside line. Just take the height off the delivery and give them a 70/30 instead of 40/60 ball!!

When we went down to 14 most of the puck outs were just driven down the field hoping Donnelly or Wally would catch them despite the fact when we did go short and worked through the lines we got some really nice scores and doing this more often would force Dublin to push up giving the half forward line more space to win the ball when you do go long.

Our half backs never seem to look for the ball. Carey and Cody both stood on the sideline standing still with their hands up asking but really wanting the ball. Contrast that with the Dublin 6 who was buzzing left and right looking for the ball off of Nolan in the first half.

I'm not one for slating players online so I won't name names but when a forward can't or won't strike the ball off his right then they're in trouble.

It was a good win and nice to see us score 3 goals but it can't be understated how **** Dublin were. An absolute shambles.

Was in the Old Stand so didn't see what Leahy got sent off for but it looked harmless live. But seeing it on TV he went in with his elbow out straight to the head. It was stupid. Not interested in whatabboutary.

That's a very negative post but my mood watching the game was soured by Kilkenny fans around me abusing the players endlessly for dropping balls and missed touches on their first proper game this year. That may seem hypocritical considering the negativity of this post but my issue is the same as it has been for the last 2/3 years - what are we trying to do out there? We're surviving on instinct and natural ability of some players. At least the warm up has changed a bit.....

On the positive side, Brassil was good in snatches, Donnelly is a joy to watch with some of his flicks and pick ups and Deegans leadership is very evident even if his deliveries out of defence are one of our problems. We definitely got better as the game went on and hopefully that continues throughout the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

bamayang wrote: »
    I really don’t think Aylward is at the required level. He’s honest and very hard working but His hurling is so limited. Great goal today, but two or 3 times had the ball in hand and because of his swing style couldn’t shoot or had to go backwards. He has a very weak wristed swing.

Bamayang ...Ger was never good enough i honestly dont think hed get near any of other top teams training.panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maggie cat

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Any thoughts on how Tommy did yesterday in what I believe was his first full match with Eir. I wonder if they told him to tone it down just a little or maybe he was a little nervous early on. It could easily have turned into the "Tommy show" just by the force of his personality but I hardly noticed the commentary which is a good sign. Overall I think he did a great job & wish him good luck. Now if we can get him to KCLR so we don't have to listen to Mick Walsh anymore ;-)
    Most people listen to the radio to get the correct analysis of the play and not the side show, you can always turn the dial or go watch the match..

davidx40 wrote: »
    Bamayang ...Ger was never good enough i honestly dont think hed get near any of other top teams training.panel.

Never good enough is a bit strong. He scored 3.15 in 4 matches in 2015 and picked up his all star .done ACL and has struggled since.

I thought today we definitely varied things up a little more than usual and worked a few nice scores.Some of the deliveries aren't the finished article yet but we had 3 new defenders playing their first big match so we must give lads a chance and its also only the first game of the year.We know dublin were very poor today but still I thought we worked very hard and and some of the subs looked fresh at this stage of the year and were very eager when they came on.This should be good for squad competition.alan murphy was very accurate from places balls but probably needs to do more from general play
    It was very noticeable gortha was doing a lot of talking to the players and was very active on the line.I was suprised to see mossy coming on especially with his leg strapped up but lads are mad to get the chance to play and try hold onto the jersey.
    Hopefully we will see the a few fresh faces next week.Leahy will probably miss a few games now it's a pity because he was hurling well.We might see a few of the younger shamrocks lads back soon.Id like to see Darren brennan start and darren mullen at 4,evan shefflin in the half back line,conor browne,eoin cody and liam blanchfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Expected more from Dublin and before the game genuinely thought they would run Kilkenny close. Was impressed mostly with Wallace, Deegan and Donnelly. Dont think anyone done harm to their starting chances but likewise dont think any of the newbies in particular majorly stood out but all part of learning curve and expect a few changes for this weekend.

One of the most interesting parts of the game was actually Martin Comerford. He was very active up on down the the pitch all game throughout and constantly engaging in chats with Cody and in my opinion fresh eyes like that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Even though we won by 12 points yesterday, a performance like that won't be good enough against Wexford and Clare. As poor as Dublin were, they still put 18 points on the board. That's a concern

• Advertisement

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Even though we won by 12 points yesterday, a performance like that won't be good enough against Wexford and Clare. As poor as Dublin were, they still put 18 points on the board. That's a concern

I dont think anyone will carried away yesterday.its the first game of the year and 3 new lads in defence and brassil in the fowards done well.clare conceded 14 points to carlow and wexford 2-16 to laois.Im sure teams wont get carried away and will all be trying to get a good panel for the summer

conor05 wrote: »
    I thought Dublin were very average today outside of Eamonn Dillon who is very good and Oisin O Rourke.

Lots of mistakes on both sides but it’s the first league game so that’s to be expected.

In fairness to Cody a lot of lads got game time some played well, others didn’t impress.

I think Tommy Walsh or Darren Mullen will push hard for. Corner bsck spot.

Evan Shefflin, Michael Carey and Michael Cody don’t have the pace for wing back at this level.

Agree about everything you said. I expect to see Darren or TW featuring as I also wasn't impressed with Cody or Carey but maybe w/time as they are young. Only part I'm curious about is have we seen E. Shefflin play any IC. Others have said the same as you and I defer to those living there who get to see more of him but he seems to make good decisions & is accurate. might be more a case of finding the best place for him. He definitely has bulked up a lot. We all have soft spots for players even if it comes from the oftentimes deceptive club performances. John Donnelly is one of my highest Hope's for the future and hopefully Adrian M.
    Gonna be an interesting year. Just gotta get over this Wexford hump.

Maggie cat wrote: »
    Most people listen to the radio to get the correct analysis of the play and not the side show, you can always turn the dial or go watch the match..

I was just kidding as Mick get some stick for "talking over the commentary/analysis. That said I'm super grateful for the KCLR's of Ireland(especially the archives!).
    Living thousands of miles away radio is my connection to the club scene although GAAGO really came through with the club hurling this year.

Actually I think there's something special about the radio, I feel connected in a way TV doesn't. Not that I prefer it.

So, any opinions on TW?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

brookville wrote: »
    I dont think anyone will carried away yesterday.its the first game of the year and 3 new lads in defence and brassil in the fowards done well.clare conceded 14 points to carlow and wexford 2-16 to laois.Im sure teams wont get carried away and will all be trying to get a good panel for the summer

Wexford in Wexford Park will be a fiesty affair.

They had our number last year.

A win down there while not massive in the middle of Feb, would give the young squad a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

mullinr2 wrote: »

No one is getting carried away but 18 points is hardly a big score especially with a man sent off early, in fact I'd say only conceding 18 points was pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

12 point win with 14 men for 2/3 of the game is a very decent performance on the day. On the day being the only important part of that sentence.'
    Paddy Deegan had a decent game he was named man of the match but why was he playing center back. The man is no center back and no matter how much he is played there he never will be a center back what he is is a very very good corner back and that is where he should stay. Hue Lawlor is by far the best center back prospect we have with Conor Delaney at full back. Wallace and Tommy Walsh are two others who have stood out. Why was there not one new name from midfield upwards tried yesterday. We all know what Ryan, Brassiil, Sheehan Keoghan Walter, Leahy, Fogarty and the others yesterday are capable of. We learned nothing yesterday from midfield up and that is a wasted opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

12 point win with 14 men for 2/3 of the game is a very decent performance on the day. On the day being the only important part of that sentence.'
    Paddy Deegan had a decent game he was named man of the match but why was he playing center back. The man is no center back and no matter how much he is played there he never will be a center back what he is is a very very good corner back and that is where he should stay. Hue Lawlor is by far the best center back prospect we have with Conor Delaney at full back. Wallace and Tommy Walsh are two others who have stood out. Why was there not one new name from midfield upwards tried yesterday. We all know what Ryan, Brassiil, Sheehan Keoghan Walter, Leahy, Fogarty and the others yesterday are capable of. We learned nothing yesterday from midfield up and that is a wasted opportunity.

Jaysus that's fair harsh on Paddy. While he may not be traditional centre back he is a fine hurler. I was at the game and I can't remember if Sutcliffe stayed on him the whole game but he got very little change from Paddy. Also if we didn't start all those players you mentioned who did you want to start instead?

Thought deegan showed great leadership and really gives it his all every day he goes out.We know his striking isnt great but you know with him he will empty the tank every day.He has plugged every position from 2-9.
    Hopefully we will see plenty of new faces for the carlow match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

That's Brassils first intercounty start excluding Walsh Cup, no? He's exactly who we should be trying out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Jaysus that's fair harsh on Paddy. While he may not be traditional centre back he is a fine hurler. I was at the game and I can't remember if Sutcliffe stayed on him the whole game but he got very little change from Paddy. Also if we didn't start all those players you mentioned who did you want to start instead?

Not harsh on Paddy at all. He has great heart and fight and is a great leader but his best position is corner back just as Conor Delaney's best position is full back and though relatively untried at center back I believe Hue Lawlor has the making of a great center back. This is the time for experimenting not in May or June. as regards who I would have liked to see start well surely the selectors were watching the club finals where a number of players stood out not least being the Phelan chap from Conahy. I am not finding fault with the players who played yesterday but I do say we learned noting new as none of them moved up a gear from what we saw last year or the year before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement